Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Finished the 1/48 Tiger I!

Now, I'm going to add a bunch of stowage to it, after seeing a clubmate's panzers. He added a whole bunch of stuff on the back of his tanks, and they look great. So, I started out by taking some bits from random sprues. The first thing I wanted to add were the helmets o the turret, which I've seen on several pictures of Tigers.

Next up I plan to add some larger bits, I'm thinking about tarps, jerry cans and maybe a whole oil drum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Don't just glob on random bits, keep in mind that all those things have to stay on somehow once the tank starts moving. Maybe add belts or a net or something.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Don't just glob on random bits, keep in mind that all those things have to stay on somehow once the tank starts moving. Maybe add belts or a net or something.

Really good advice.

Also sometimes it can pay to paint stowage separately and then apply after the base and main colours.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Try to replicate what you see on photos of the real thing and find some logic to it. Like the stuff on the fenders, how would they attach it? Wouldn't it just fall off with the vibrations of the engine or getting snagged on some bushes? If you see how often tanks lost their side-skirts, I doubt many crews would put their personal belongings there, it's what the big box on the back of the turret is for! There are literally thousands of photos online of Tiger I's so look at a few of them and see where they stored their poo poo in real life.

For example, German crews often carried a bucket on the towing hook on the back, and Tiger I crews rarely put stuff on the engine deck because it could interfere with the rotation of the turret or airflow into the engines. It's details like these that really put some life into a model imho.

A good source for cool pictures that I often use for inspiration is http://histomil.com/viewtopic.php?f=338&t=3918

And thanks for the info Ensign, it's much appreciated!

Molentik fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 28, 2015

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Thanks for the feedback! I wanted to put stuff on the sides partially because of structural reasons, as the superglue bond between the plastic skirts and the die-cast hull is brittle. After all, it's supposed to see some wargaming use, not just sit in a display case. But I could probably stick some green stuff underneath the skirts instead, to create a stronger bond, and then move the stowage.

From pictures of tiger tanks I've seen, they didn't carry that much "big" stowage, but I've seen personal gear such as helmets, water bottles and other pieces of kit being strapped to the turret, both to the extra links and other places on the turret such as the smoke launchers. I've also seen jerry cans, buckets and such being strapped to the back of the hull. I've seen pictures with stuff on the sides, but they have been very fuzzy, so it's hard to see if it's tarps or just rolled up camo netting.

I plan to make it for early 1943, and paint it dark grey without white-wash, to fit in with the rest of our growing tank armada.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

I fits structural integrety you're looking for you might want to try 'Pattex 100%'. Its a glue that bonds to both metal and plastic, but dries like a sort of silicon kit that isn't as brittle as CA glue. It needs more time to set though, so that could be tricky..

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Molentik posted:

I fits structural integrety you're looking for you might want to try 'Pattex 100%'. Its a glue that bonds to both metal and plastic, but dries like a sort of silicon kit that isn't as brittle as CA glue. It needs more time to set though, so that could be tricky..

I love that stuff. Just a general warning is that it dries clear, but over time (half a year or so) it will become fairly dark yellow. Of course it doesn't always matter, but when I found Pattex I was tempted to use it for dials and gauges as a lens.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm not sure if this is technically the most appropriate place to show this off, but I can't find a better one and you guys were so nice and helpful with the model tree stuff. This took me 5 months to patiently make ( 2.5 yr old and a 2 month old kid...)

07B:

Thanks again for the foliage help! <3

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That is super cool. Did you do the LED work as well?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Swagger Dagger posted:

That is super cool. Did you do the LED work as well?

Yep! Pretty much everything, including the LED work was a first for me.

This is what it started as:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Pretty impressive work. What was the inspiration?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Arquinsiel posted:

Pretty impressive work. What was the inspiration?

I got the vinyl munny doll and was only certain I wanted to hairdryer it then slice it's head. (Made it pliable.)

Then I had this dime piece I turned into the belly shield and eye-visor. From there I knew I had something sci-if. And decided maybe something organic for something hopefully-not-too-pretentious-as-a-contradiction.

Looked around for trees that might work and the ultimately decided on a subproject making the tree. Wire, aluminum foil, matte heavy acrylic gel, paint got me my tree trunk. As finicky as the clump foliage was for me, it ultimately does just look fantastic.

Stuff I did that was basically new to me with this project:

Spray painting.
Cutting vinyl.
Using a Dremel.
LED wiring and soldering.
Everything about the tree.
95% of everything I did was a first time attempt for me. I learned a lot.

The biggest wow factor of this whole thing for me is that if you don't have the right tools and supplies, projects can be costly.

It cost me upwards of 300 dollars (conservative estimate) to get everything I needed. But we're talking soldering irons, dremels, drill bits, random hardware supplies, paints, varnishes... You name it.

But I'm set for the next time. :D

Sorry that's more than you asked. :)

[Ed] fun fact. The foundation for the hill is a cut half of an oversized dog tennis ball. I needed a firm foundation but bendable enough to squeeze into the head opening.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 29, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That's pretty cool, very well done, and certainly not something I would have ever thought of in a million years. I don't seem to have a creative bone in my body.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You learned a fuckton then and got a good result out of it. Thanks for sharing. Post your next stuff here too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
One more post about it before bed:

Hopefully this gif works?

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/10-29-2015/sXeIHh.gif

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Very cool! Great to see a real unique piece every so often.

Now that you've got your summer-head munny, you need to complete the cycle and have spring, autumn, and winter headed munnys!

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Feenix posted:

One more post about it before bed:

Hopefully this gif works?

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/10-29-2015/sXeIHh.gif

That's fantastic! I have no idea what it is, but I want it badly.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
One last (Sorry if I'm getting annoying...) image of a materials breakdown now that it is morning time and I could work on it...

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
No one in this thread has ever been accused of being annoying due to posting images of their work.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Feenix posted:

One last (Sorry if I'm getting annoying...) image of a materials breakdown now that it is morning time and I could work on it...

Between you and Ensign Expendable, this thread is going to overtake Canadians in being apologetic for things they shouldn't apologize for. The aluminum foil tree trunk is clever as hell.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Warmachine posted:

Between you and Ensign Expendable, this thread is going to overtake Canadians in being apologetic for things they shouldn't apologize for. The aluminum foil tree trunk is clever as hell.

Thanks for being cool about it guys. I've been dying to finish it but it was one of those projects that, between having a second child, and just the nature of having to let things set, dry, repeat, etc... I couldn't rush... but I wanted to finalize it so bad.

Wish I could take credit for the Bonsai tree but there's some crazy dude on Youtube with a tutorial. It's really loving cool!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Feenix posted:

Wish I could take credit for the Bonsai tree but there's some crazy dude on Youtube with a tutorial. It's really loving cool!

You made it, therefore the credit is yours. All of us learn what we do from somewhere in most cases, rather than just figuring it out on our own, but the workmanship and finish of that tree are all you, the video didn't make it for you!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Locator posted:

You made it, therefore the credit is yours. All of us learn what we do from somewhere in most cases, rather than just figuring it out on our own, but the workmanship and finish of that tree are all you, the video didn't make it for you!

Oh, word. I just didn't want anyone thinking I had come up with the technique. :)

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Feenix posted:

Don't apologise, your figure is loving awesome and something I'd never think of. Apologise for NOT posting pictures if you made something awesome ;)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Anyone have any good advice or tutuorials for painting hair?

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Anyone have any good advice or tutuorials for painting hair?

Personally I like to start with a shade that is a tint lighter than I want the end result to be. Then do a dark heavy wash. After that I take the base colour and dry brush it quite heavily, adding more lighter paint and lighter drybrushing as I go on. Also try to give some 'strands' of hair more or less highlight to get a nice variation in colour. Before the last and lightest tone highlight I do a very light wash/filter.

You can see the result on the 1/6 head I posted a few pages ago. Base colour was Vallejo's Dark Sand, dark wash with raw umber oil paint, then drybrushing with base colour plus increasing amounts of Flat Yellow (about 5 layers), then a light Raw Sienna wash to tie it all together, and lastly a light highlight with base colour and yellow. When I'm satisfied I mix satin and gloss varnish 3:1 and do a light coat (after I've varnished the whole head).

For the lighter colour, try not to use white to lighten it, but for instance a flesh colour for light brown hair or yellow for blonde hair. White tends to take away the vibrance of the colour and looks a bit dead-ish for hair. Also keep in mind that hairdo's where the hair is longer on the top and shorter on the sides and back, the sides and back tend to be a bit darker, especially with blonde hair.

Keep in mind this is how I paint with good effects in 1/6, if you do smaller scales you could do less incremental lightening with highlights.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I finished my Ju 290!

But it is so big, I can't use my setup to take decent pictures of it. I'll have to wait for a sunny day, and around here at this time of year, that could take a few weeks.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I got a neat little German Z-class destroyer kit made by Tamiya.

Also pictured: the 1/72 Junkers I ordered to kitbash with the destroyer into an ungodly Nazi flying machine. The Junkers is a bit bigger than I realized because I'm bad at math.

Astute observers will also note the familiar color and mold quality of those wings. That's right, it's the airborne cousin of craptank. How appropriate that it's a Junkers. :downsrim:

Gonna set this aside and think a bit harder. Meanwhile, let's see what's next in my backlog.

Quality seems really good. Same for the instructions.

:pwn: Though the layout isn't the most convenient. Why couldn't it be a book, Bandai.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Have fun with the two and a half sprues of nothing but greebly pipe bits to put on the outside of the ship! :unsmigghh:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Greebly pipe bits are the point of Y-Wing models!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Jonny Nox posted:

Greebly pipe bits are the point of Y-Wing models!

drat right!

Confirming that these Bandai star wars models are exceptionally well engineered, just like gundams.

This is how far I've gotten since my previous post. This includes stopping to put out the candy bowl, make the "take a couple, plz don't steal my bowl" sign, a rum pitstop, and hunting down my pants as the house cooled off. Would absolutely buy again, especially given the $20 price tag.

VVV I just thought it was funny

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 1, 2015

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:pwn: Though the layout isn't the most convenient. Why couldn't it be a book, Bandai.

You make things for a hobby. Surely cutting and re-arranging some paper isn't beyond you.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

I got distracted on the way to the metaphorical gunpla store.

I've never done photo-etch before :ohdear:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

TasogareNoKagi posted:

I got distracted on the way to the metaphorical gunpla store.

I've never done photo-etch before :ohdear:

That kit's been on my Amazon Wish List for a while, and no I'm tempted to get it instead of the Bandai TIE Fighter in my cart...

Nah, I'll get the TIE so I can use my leftover North Korean MiG decals on it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cthulu Carl posted:

That kit's been on my Amazon Wish List for a while, and no I'm tempted to get it instead of the Bandai TIE Fighter in my cart...

Nah, I'll get the TIE so I can use my leftover North Korean MiG decals on it.
But if you put them on the probe you can put teeny astronauts on it and claim it's a Bond movie or North Korean landing on the sun!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Arquinsiel posted:

But if you put them on the probe you can put teeny astronauts on it and claim it's a Bond movie or North Korean landing on the sun!

No, I have to get good enough at freehanding to paint Carl Sagan's portrait on Voyagers dish. Duuuh. :rolleyes:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Looks interesting! Are you going to glue the PE or soldering the bigger pieces for more strenght?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Is this Hi-Mock month!?

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
A while back I asked for some info regarding spraypaints. This is the result:

Revell 1/24 Lamborghini Diablo VT.

Bonus picture of the 1/72 Mustang P-51D that preceded it in being built:

I've still got a decent ways to go in learning how to paint I feel, but I'm slowly getting better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Astute observers will also note the familiar color and mold quality of those wings. That's right, it's the airborne cousin of craptank. How appropriate that it's a Junkers. :downsrim:

I have that kit 3/4 of the way finished, I'm just waiting for them to send me a missing part.

Is it really that crap? I knew it wouldn't be great, and I bought it expecting to be able to learn a few filling/sanding/shaping skills which I've needed to do, but it didn't seem completely terrible.