Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Guppy's Paw got nerfed! :negative: Same nerf it got in the Eternal edition. Gives 2 Soul Hearts instead of 3.

HenryEx posted:

Have a source on this?

Currently trying to look at the code for devil rooms. Seems the Black Candle got a huge buff in that regard, because if i read this right, it now increases your DR chance by 200%.

I saw it from here. And yeah, I misread it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Mylan posted:

Any good recommendations for starting items to restart grind for the Speed! challenge? I've had exactly one decent run where I made it to Womb 1 and discovered there's a 16 minute time limit too :zombie:

I managed to get through it with Tech X. I found the Dunce Cap (which gives you permanent R U A Wizard) and got something that lowered my shoot speed a bit so I could very quickly fire large, slow moving circles of death.

Other than that I'm sure anything that gives you easy access to lots of explosions is good or anything that pierces to help you deal with crowds of enemies quickly.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
My god how will I EVER do some of this with the Lost??? Seems impossible though I assume there's some streamer who's 100%ed everything already :D

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Managed to kill the new main game boss with a combo of Dr. Fetus and Fart bombs, that little vampire leech and whatever the item is that means everything does half a heart damage after the initial hit.

The vampire leech goes hog wild with the occasional waves of easily killed enemies, kept me alive enough to very very very slowly kill it.

Later in the chest, I discovered the D4 is both great for experiencing new things and also useless, because there's so much going on.

I think there's an item which makes tears have a chance of firing light beams? Seems fun, was distracted by the lump of tears I was vomiting with monstro's lung also influencing gravity, smashing everything in the room into me.

And there's something which has turned isaac into an auto-firing monster, the room is just a whirling mess of scythe blades and tears of every colour. Can't seem to control anything other than his movement. Not sure I recognise some black tears with a white lining. Kinda curious which items is causing the rapid autofire. Rubber cement is in there somewhere to make things more psychedelic and confusing, as is rainbow worm trinket.

Found a pokeball, didn't seem to work on bosses in the chest. Also an item called glass cannon, which sacrifices all but half a heart of your hp for one massive tear. I missed.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Glass cannon recharges pretty quickly over time and only affects red health, so it's loving amazing for Eve.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

I really hate the flooded caves. I get hit so many times trying to dodge because you can't tell where to walk. It's completely frustrating.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

It's an emergency stop button, because if you really suck, the timer will keep spawning more enemies even if you're not ready. I think you might get slightly more money if you don't press it, too? My real question is why there a room with a completely basic Monstro before Ultra Greed?

I think it's supposed to be based on the Afterbirth Teaser video we got with the CGI Monstro, appearing just before you enter the greed room.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Man I couldn't beat Hush even with quadshot Brimstone. :(

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Glass cannon owns.

But God I forgot how bad Maggie and Samson are.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I got the Glass Cannon with Proptosis, a bunch of damage ups and Whore of Babylon (plus a bunch of Soul Hearts). poo poo was SICK. Huge-rear end projectile that pierces and recharges, what. Then I got wrecked by Hush because what the gently caress ARE you.

I also learned that Mom's Knife on Lilith is maaaaybe not worth it unless you're really good?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Dias posted:

I also learned that Mom's Knife on Lilith is maaaaybe not worth it unless you're really good?

It was worth it in greed mode where you can spawn a ton of followers. Not if you only got one or two.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Lilith is broken in Greed Mode. I even managed to get a breaking run going thanks to the IV Bag. There's no way that thing's staying in there. Also, I think the new bosses outright cap your damage, along with maybe scaling your DPS. Like I had every single damage up and Godhead (Polyphemus, Magic Mushroom, Tough Luck with way more than 10 Luck, etc.), and Ultra Greed just outright stopped taking damage for a while. Seemed to happen at certain HP thresholds. Even though he was still stuck in the halos.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

I like Greed Mode, but I feel like there's suppose to be a push your luck style of gameplay that is isn't quite capturing. It feels like they intended for you to hit the button more often to not get swarmed, but I don't think I've ever intentionally hit the the button to stop early. Admittedly, it's a difficult thing to balance properly, but they could remove the option to press the button during waves and I think most people would see it as making Greed Mode easier, which suggests something isn't tuned right.

Greed Mode is pure luck of the draw; if you get a bomb item, a blood bag, etc. then you get infinite items and the run is over.

..Which is hilarious, because if anyone remembers, Edmund said:

quote:

i personally believe the biggest short comings in isaac are:
the items system feels “too random”
risk reward feels a bit too luck based - now i know this aspect of isaac is probably the reason why its so popular, the fact that if you get lucky on your first run and get tons of OP items that just destroy everything you touch is a very appealing aspect of the game for sure.. but i miss the more strategic risk reward systems that ive used in my past games and always saw isaacs luck based ultra rewards as a minor flaw in the game.

quote:

so when designing Greed Mode, i focused directly on these issues and essentially made a totally new game that uses isaacs structure but addressed all the flaws i mentioned while at the same time attempting to wrangle a fun and more fully realized mob/boss rush game mode that people seemed to really wanna play.

Not to mention how many items there are in Afterbirth that lets you completely destroy the game with zero effort and equally many "if you're not overpowered by this point, the run is over" rooms, like a random tiny room with an angel boss. It's been said before, but The Binding of Isaac really is one of those games that are good in spite of itself, Edmund clearly has either no idea what he's doing or is just trolling at this point.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
So does anyone know what the Intensifying Tears item does? I've had it with silly combinations with other items so I can't really tell.

Also quoting my own post from the previous page:

Wugga posted:

So as someone who started a whole new save for Afterbirth, does anyone have any idea if The Lost is still unlocked with the same bullshit shenanigans as before? Sorry if this has been asked before.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Isn't he precious?

(I was bigger than that earlier because I had two The One That Makes You Larger pills and wanted to see if they had any effect on stats, so I grabbed Binky to make life a bit easier)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rorus Raz posted:

Isn't he precious?

(I was bigger than that earlier because I had two The One That Makes You Larger pills and wanted to see if they had any effect on stats, so I grabbed Binky to make life a bit easier)

I just had a ridiculous run going through the Brains challenge, and I assumed it'd be "One Makes You Larger, Two Make You Smaller" or something like that. I tried up to four.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Is it just me or do range pickups now affect Azazel? Didn't they used to do nothing?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wugga posted:

So does anyone know what the Intensifying Tears item does? I've had it with silly combinations with other items so I can't really tell.

The longer you're firing, the faster you fire, but it unfortunately seems to reset if you start aiming in another direction.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Power of Pecota posted:

I just had a ridiculous run going through the Brains challenge, and I assumed it'd be "One Makes You Larger, Two Make You Smaller" or something like that. I tried up to four.

It's just a White Rabbit reference

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

There was a hilarious challenge with flash Isaac Spidermod where you got a Large Odd Mushroom every time you entered a room, so the challenge was to finish before your giant head prevented you from even understanding what was happening.

Also, I don't know why, but my game crashes whenever I enter the door out of the It Lives fight into the Hush area. I've killed it twice already, so it worked before, but now it crashes my game and I have no idea why. Also I think there's some pill in the rotation that crashes my game.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
Oh man those tech rings are broken af. Had a good Lilith run with them and a stopwatch didnt get hit a single time after the depths after I figured out you could mash fire. Even Hush didn't last long.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Lilith is hilarious in Greed Mode, I had an insane tractor beam of destruction between Death's Touch/Coal/Cricket's Head/Car Battery.

DrGreatJob posted:

Is it just me or do range pickups now affect Azazel? Didn't they used to do nothing?

Range pickups used to affect Azazel, but only barely. I haven't used the new high-range tapeworm trinket on anyone else, but it did serious work on Azazel when I tried it.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
People think The Guardian is a bad challenge? It's really not that hard.

ProfessionalNinja
Sep 26, 2004
I am the Professional Ninja

asterioth posted:

People think The Guardian is a bad challenge? It's really not that hard.

Brains is a much harder challenge, in my opinion. I can get to the chest just fine, but by that time I only have like 1-2 hearts, and get wrecked by something stupid, like rooms where all the doors are surrounded by 3 red poops.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

I am never doing that again. And I don't even want to begin to think about fighting Hush with The Lost.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

I am never doing that again. And I don't even want to begin to think about fighting Hush with The Lost.

How did you pull that off?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, new Angel Room thing: two locked blue/white chests that act like gold chests, but respawn a few seconds after opening several times or until you get a gold chest item. I don't know the limit, or anything else, only seen it once so far.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Blue bomber challenge was fine, until I found out you have to keep going past mom's heart.

Not so easy with one soul heart left.

Need that goddamn dark bum.

Also just need to get better at this game again. I am nowhere near as good as when I somehow managed to do the dark room half of the game with the Lost way back when.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

There's also spiked chests now you need to take damage to open, I learned that the hard way, thanks edmund :shepface:

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Dr. Fetus posted:

How did you pull that off?

Kept restarting until I got Epic Fetus, then abused the Restock machine for all it was worth. Didn't stop some stupid deaths to things popping right up under me, though.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Does anyone know what the Game Breaking Bug item does?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Even with Blank Card and a Vision rune, the XXXXXXXXXXXL challenge took me like 45 minutes.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The new announcer for pills and cards reminds me a lot of the announcer from Torchlight. Really want an effect that makes him say "Your pet has returned."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

really glad I picked up the broken stopwatch now since it gave me the easiest hush kill of all time, even though I had garbage damage technology 2

dis astranagant posted:

Glass cannon recharges pretty quickly over time and only affects red health, so it's loving amazing for Eve.

that explains why it had no detriments on my Azazel run where I picked it up, but I already had that jar of flies item and that thing is loving awesome

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Rorus Raz posted:

Even with Blank Card and a Vision rune, the XXXXXXXXXXXL challenge took me like 45 minutes.

I had a blank card, dice shard, and Jera rune.

Step 1: fill room 1 with batteries.
Step 2: reroll a room with a single drop until it's a key, then dupe until you have 99, and leave one key.
Step 3: reroll the key into a gold chest and dupe once.
Step 4: if one of the chests has a pedestal item, you can dupe the gently caress out of the other one and clean out the item pool.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I don't think these challenges were playtested that well. Blue Bomber is actually impossible to complete if you get unlucky layouts. Kamikaze explosions don't work on some enemies. Normally you can just bomb out of those rooms, but you can't bomb open boss doors, which can mean you're stuck.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That was weird. I just finished a broken Greed run with Azazel to unlock Lilith, by abusing the IV bag to empty the shop item pools.

When I beat the game it gave me about half a dozen of new achievements... and then it gave me Platinum God. While I was at only 75% completion in the original Rebirth.

Some kind of bug?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

That was weird. I just finished a broken Greed run with Azazel to unlock Lilith, by abusing the IV bag to empty the shop item pools.

When I beat the game it gave me about half a dozen of new achievements... and then it gave me Platinum God. While I was at only 75% completion in the original Rebirth.

Some kind of bug?

Beating either of the new bosses does that for some reason. Probably a bug.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Do dice rooms work on fixed-item challenges like brains/blue bomber?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Maha posted:

Do dice rooms work on fixed-item challenges like brains/blue bomber?

Yeah, but you're still blindfolded so you might not even be able to attack