Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Has anything been mentioned about those four (?) alien languages that he promised?

I'm sure he said that professional linguists were going to be creating the languages from scratch. It was a something-million-stretch goal I think.

e: :gary:PAAAAAARRRRPPPP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Dapper Dan posted:

The reason why they don't is because they desperately need the money. Any healthy company would (well most). Either because they care about their consumers or because if someone blows their life savings and then their wife leaves and they kill themselves, that would be bad PR. I think CIG legit doesn't give a gently caress about these rubes. Except they do it through a forced smile than outright contempt like Games Workshop.

I think the most rational explanation is that Chris Roberts is high on his own supply. When or even if he realizes it doesn't really matter anymore, it's already too late.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

grimcreaper posted:

Wait.. werent those THE flight manual that some fo the "top" forum "corporations" had as 'required reading' and would randomly quiz their members on?

lol are you kidding?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

XK posted:

There was a gif posted a week or so ago of a pilot sitting in a cockpit, the ship rotating around, and the pilot's limbs rolling around the cockpit as the ship rotated. I'm not bothering to look for it because I bet it got nuked by the bot. It basically says all that needs to be said about why this game will never come out in any form even slightly resembling the promises that have been made.

You get your basic starting point build made, all's good. Then you start going down the list of 1,200 promises you've made. You decide to pick something simple to start with, like ship localized physics or some bullshit. You spend 3 weeks mucking up your code with patches and tentacles running through everything. Finally you're done, it seems pretty good, the code's kind of messed up now, but you'll clean it up later. Oh, wait, the pilot's arms and legs fly around all over the place when the ship rotates. gently caress. Only 1,199 hacks to go.

This is basically what happens when you don't have the underlying framework for your software worked out before you start slapping stuff together, and it only gets exponentially worse when you fall victim to feature bloat. I've been there before with my own software, where I just start making stuff, get it working, then try to start sticking other features on later. It always results in a completely unmanageable mess.

If they were promising only a space ship sim, I'd say it was a reasonable possibility for them to get it together and produce something. They are promising pretty much everything that could be imagined, don't appear to have their fundamental framework worked out, and are pathologically ridden with feature bloat. This situation is an absolute death knell for any project. This is why the media they have to present of what their game offers seems to be going backwards and is less impressive than what they were showcasing years ago, it's the reason they've had to start SQ42 over, and it's why everything is in modules. Nothing works together. When they try to combine all these separate pieces, it will not be possible even by the greatest coding wizards. They are destroying their own work through bad project management and bloat. I wouldn't be surprised if in the end, when the project falls apart, they have almost nothing functional left because everything has been wrecked with half-assed hacks and patches to make space juke boxes and targeting reticules not rotate through the hull and fly off into the nearest physics object.

I can't even call it a con job, because with that the smart thing to do would be to poo poo out a decent space ship sim, then run off with the rest of the tens of millions in funds and the project completed. This is a guy who's in completely over his head, is going to end up blowing every dollar, and nobody will have anything to show for it except some space ship concept art.

I can't believe how off in the weeds this project is. These are actual real manuals. No project can survive this.

Yeah this is probably the same things the news sites will echo next year when things get real dire. The biggest red flag for me that not many people talked about was the fact that they revealed at CitCon Sq42 is no longer a linear mission-to-mission story, but it's going to be an OPEN WORLD GAME. That seems like a massive shift this late in the game.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

MeLKoR posted:

Is he one of those "turn the other cheek" ultra christians?

No, quite the opposite. Check his RSI org.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

I was gonna say that this man is an idiot because if SC comes out "in a few years" the boundaries will already have been pushed by 5 or 6 or 7 years and everything that SC once thought was innovative and more will have been done already and competently, but then I remembered SC should still have the market cornered in the Space Tetris and Space Hostess simulation.

Assuming this train manages to keep going for a good while longer, I still think saying "the graphics look a bit dated to me" will be both true and result in amazing levels of denial.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

lol are you kidding?

One guy had a space court-martial for something in one of the larger ORGS, the SUN org that had that massive fleet procedure manual I think. This possibly inspired the space court joke that's pretty tired now.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

AP posted:

One guy had a space court-martial for something in one of the larger ORGS, the SUN org that had that massive fleet procedure manual I think. This possibly inspired the space court joke that's pretty tired now.

No jokes about Star Citizen can get old. Mostly because its a big joke itself.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah this is probably the same things the news sites will echo next year when things get real dire. The biggest red flag for me that not many people talked about was the fact that they revealed at CitCon Sq42 is no longer a linear mission-to-mission story, but it's going to be an OPEN WORLD GAME. That seems like a massive shift this late in the game.

Wait what? I thought it was Wing Commander 2.0. If they make it open world there is NOTHING that distinguishes it from Elite except for 10 hours of lovely Croberts B-Movies

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Justin Tyme posted:

Wait, Squadron 42 is going to be an open world game now? What the hell?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Hopper posted:

Wait what? I thought it was Wing Commander 2.0. If they make it open world there is NOTHING that distinguishes it from Elite except for 10 hours of lovely Croberts B-Movies

They described it as being a sort of central hub where you can explore to find different missions, something like GTA. I think it was during the slideshow, I am surprised nobody caught it.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 1, 2015

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

XK posted:

I think the most rational explanation is that Chris Roberts is high on his own supply. When or even if he realizes it doesn't really matter anymore, it's already too late.

True, he just thinks he is a creative visionary and his word is law. The problem is that the creative medium he is working in isn't a one man operation anymore. His fan base just reinforces that notion with the silencing of even the smallest amount of dissent. And he will never realize he was the problem. He will place the blame on everyone but his inner circle. His ego is simply too big.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

They described it as being a sort of central hub where you can explore to find different missions, something like GTA. I think it was during the slideshow, I am surprised nobody caught it.

I was probably too busy doing real things to see the slide show sorry.

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011

AP posted:

:captainpop: and this all happened Seriously? Can we get some more info for the newcomers? I managed to read this entire thread despite not knowing poo poo about anyone involved going in, and I'm munching popcorn with the rest of y'all now, but I haven't seen much about this aside from the phrase "space court". A recap would be fun while we wait for November 2nd!

Also just wanna say that Derek Smart has done more realistic space flight simulation than SC could dream of, just by launching this crazy train into orbit :allears:

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

I still subscribe because the puzzlebox tells me to.

Star Citizen.... you're playing right now.

XK posted:

There was a gif posted a week or so ago of a pilot sitting in a cockpit, the ship rotating around, and the pilot's limbs rolling around the cockpit as the ship rotated. I'm not bothering to look for it because I bet it got nuked by the bot. It basically says all that needs to be said about why this game will never come out in any form even slightly resembling the promises that have been made.

You get your basic starting point build made, all's good. Then you start going down the list of 1,200 promises you've made. You decide to pick something simple to start with, like ship localized physics or some bullshit. You spend 3 weeks mucking up your code with patches and tentacles running through everything. Finally you're done, it seems pretty good, the code's kind of messed up now, but you'll clean it up later. Oh, wait, the pilot's arms and legs fly around all over the place when the ship rotates. gently caress. Only 1,199 hacks to go.

This is basically what happens when you don't have the underlying framework for your software worked out before you start slapping stuff together, and it only gets exponentially worse when you fall victim to feature bloat. I've been there before with my own software, where I just start making stuff, get it working, then try to start sticking other features on later. It always results in a completely unmanageable mess.

If they were promising only a space ship sim, I'd say it was a reasonable possibility for them to get it together and produce something. They are promising pretty much everything that could be imagined, don't appear to have their fundamental framework worked out, and are pathologically ridden with feature bloat. This situation is an absolute death knell for any project. This is why the media they have to present of what their game offers seems to be going backwards and is less impressive than what they were showcasing years ago, it's the reason they've had to start SQ42 over, and it's why everything is in modules. Nothing works together. When they try to combine all these separate pieces, it will not be possible even by the greatest coding wizards. They are destroying their own work through bad project management and bloat. I wouldn't be surprised if in the end, when the project falls apart, they have almost nothing functional left because everything has been wrecked with half-assed hacks and patches to make space juke boxes and targeting reticules not rotate through the hull and fly off into the nearest physics object.

I can't even call it a con job, because with that the smart thing to do would be to poo poo out a decent space ship sim, then run off with the rest of the tens of millions in funds and the project completed. This is a guy who's in completely over his head, is going to end up blowing every dollar, and nobody will have anything to show for it except some space ship concept art.

I can't believe how off in the weeds this project is. These are actual real manuals. No project can survive this.

Prototyping or proof of concept seems great until you try to expand features, and in my experience you end up rewriting the code often at a much slower pace. One of the problems CIG faces, is that they have to continually build proof of concept / demos / videos to get something out to backers. There have been admissions by CIG staff relating to shortcutting proper solution and using hackery to ship AC for example. While they internally recognised the need to build reusable systems they still seem to be struggling due to such high expectations. I was excited when they posted the new flight model information, however the lack of any working dev videos make me nervous.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
what hit home to me about dsmarts first blog was how croberts promised everything and well sometime you cant put everything in a game. especially some off the shelf engine. He should of stayed on target with his core game but no retard fucker that he is had to go off in lala land and make who knows what. That dude is a entitled spoiled loving soft bitch. Who knows what contacts he had from the git to even make a video game to start with. Now he thinks he has some gifted imagination when in reality its all poo poo. Hungry artists work the hardest and this slow soft gently caress is neither of those.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

This game is going to be so much whinny, quit with the neighsaying.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

bald gnome error posted:

:captainpop: and this all happened Seriously? Can we get some more info for the newcomers? I managed to read this entire thread despite not knowing poo poo about anyone involved going in, and I'm munching popcorn with the rest of y'all now, but I haven't seen much about this aside from the phrase "space court". A recap would be fun while we wait for November 2nd!

Also just wanna say that Derek Smart has done more realistic space flight simulation than SC could dream of, just by launching this crazy train into orbit :allears:

Found an old link that still works, I bookmark and save the real crazy stuff, I took some screen grabs but these are only a sample of the full horror within.

SUN Docs

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

Probably because no one could be arsed to watch that except the spergs, and they just lap it up as gospel anyway...

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Jst0rm posted:

what hit home to me about dsmarts first blog was how croberts promised everything and well sometime you cant put everything in a game. especially some off the shelf engine. He should of stayed on target with his core game but no retard fucker that he is had to go off in lala land and make who knows what. That dude is a entitled spoiled loving soft bitch. Who knows what contacts he had from the git to even make a video game to start with. Now he thinks he has some gifted imagination when in reality its all poo poo. Hungry artists work the hardest and this slow soft gently caress is neither of those.

Christ Roberts didnt turn down any feature request, save the rape and torture request... going to be a lot of angry nerds out there.

Phil Burn
Oct 28, 2015

What is life all about?
What I don't get is WHY Roberts is considered such a visionary. For an "Ideas Man", his ideas seem pretty loving generic to me.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Not really, sounds like your company just contracted the cheapest, shittiest CPA firm around, or the firm doesn't value them enough as a client to send you competent people. If an auditor is going in and being that lovely & unwilling to be reasonable, then you are dealing with a really really bad auditor. The autistic weirdos who have no social skills cant cut it anywhere but the worst firms.

There are a lot of weird specialty Federal compliance auditors that have no clue what they're doing and cover it up by just being abrasive and threatening people, though.

Yeah but seriously, if you're an auditor and you have money in this you're a loving idiot and terrible at your job.

A 'fully funded' project that keeps asking for more money? Misses every self imposed release date? Management without any accountability (why yes, having the boss' wife as the head of HR is a great idea) High turnover of all the top level staff? CEO who spends 8 hours writing a batshit insane email? Customers who are getting their refunds through a loving movie company?

There are so many red flags here its insane. This is going to end up as a textbook case of how someone can blow through $94M and the importance of internal controls.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Also reminder that all the ships are actually physically propelled through the gamespace by their thrusters, so that's another layer of complexity that slows down implementing things as opposed to just making the entity move around and changing turn rates/speed etc.

What does this add to the experience? Nothing. Nobody will notice it, it's an additional complexity that serves no purpose other than to make things much more difficult to add or change.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Justin Tyme posted:

What does this add to the experience? Nothing. Nobody will notice it, it's an additional complexity that serves no purpose other than to make things much more difficult to add or change.

Actually when I last played Arena Commander just after it launched this meant that a lot of the ships handled like complete loving garbage because they couldn't get the thrusters to feel right for what you would expect in a video game, as the ships aren't really designed with feasibility in mind.

It owned.

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011

AP posted:

Found an old link that still works, I bookmark and save the real crazy stuff, I took some screen grabs but these are only a sample of the full horror within.

SUN Docs

yesssss thank you i'm PAAAAARPing with joy :gary:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
To be fair to SUN, they've probably had a great time role-playing being a space navy for the last three years while us idiots were waiting for a pc game.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

AP posted:

Oh come on you can't talk about that and forget to mention the guy they held a "court-martial" for was loving deaf, so he had to have a space lawyer relay everything to him

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Bolow posted:

Oh come on you can't talk about that and forget to mention the guy they held a "court-martial" for was loving deaf, so he had to have a space lawyer relay everything to him

That's him in the wheelchair?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Chris Roberts
sirs, the CR robs

:gary:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

AP posted:

You've got me curious as what they did that they found so objectionable in a game that doesn't yet exist.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

SUN Docs

This kinda reminds me of that manifesto Anders Breivik wrote before killing all those people in Norway.

He was a big MMO player, too, just saying.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Omi-Polari posted:

This kinda reminds me of that manifesto Anders Breivik wrote before killing all those people in Norway.

He was a big MMO player, too, just saying.

That kind of stuff is pretty frequent in milsperg clans in video games. Lots of medals, rules, theorycrating, almost all of which amounts to absolutely nothing because milspergs are loving garbage and their theories never apply to actual game mechanics.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
One more day until Dr. Smart's lawsuit, right?

If the lawsuit didn't come, would this whole thread turn on Dr Smart?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Jst0rm posted:

With the scope of promises that have been made for this project, there is absolutely no excuse for not writing their own engine. Engineering a AAA game engine is an endeavor, but with what has been promised out of this project, it would only make sense, as modifying any off the shelf engine to deliver on their broad promises would take so much custom modification they might as well make a bespoke engine. If I were running this project, and I were trying to deliver an outer space sim/in atmosphere flight model/fps/walking around loving with poo poo/manage the {cargo bay, slaves, barista}/gently caress space prostitutes/do whatever game, I would assume right off the bat I should probably produce my own engine so I don't have to deal with architectural design decisions made based upon supporting a game about walking around in a jungle with a machine gun. Maybe then they would be able to get their targeting reticule to function properly.

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro

AP posted:

To be fair to SUN, they've probably had a great time role-playing being a space navy for the last three years while us idiots were waiting for a pc game.

These guys will call the actual police on you if you step out of line. It's in their RP manual, so you know there is at least 5 of them that can't wait to earn whatever medal you get for calling the cops on the annoying stoners.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Jst0rm posted:

Jst0rm posted:

He should of stayed on target with his core game but no retard fucker that he is had to go off in lala land and make who knows what.

Jst0rm posted:

stayed on target

Jst0rm posted:

stay on target

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

XK posted:

With the scope of promises that have been made for this project, there is absolutely no excuse for not writing their own engine. Engineering a AAA game engine is an endeavor, but with what has been promised out of this project, it would only make sense

Read all the way to about here

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fish Fry Andy posted:

That kind of stuff is pretty frequent in milsperg clans in video games. Lots of medals, rules, theorycrating, almost all of which amounts to absolutely nothing because milspergs are loving garbage and their theories never apply to actual game mechanics.
Ah. That makes sense.

But they seriously "court martialed" a deaf guy? Can you imagine being "court martialed" by some random assholes on the internet? Do they do it over Skype? "There will now be a recess as defense counsel requests Mountain Dew and Cheetos." *hits computer desk with gavel*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pftc
Oct 1, 2015

wow I has avatar now

• Locked thread