Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

toanoradian posted:

One more day until Dr. Smart's lawsuit, right?

If the lawsuit didn't come, would this whole thread turn on Dr Smart?

I think he said it's not a lawsuit against CIG a while ago, but everyone has ignored that. It better be something funny or, yeah, Star Citizen will finally disappoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I'm kinda sad we got :gary: too late to see it stenciled on someone's pumpkin.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

Found an old link that still works, I bookmark and save the real crazy stuff, I took some screen grabs but these are only a sample of the full horror within.

SUN Docs

I miss 2013. There was so much hope back then.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

pftc posted:

wow I has avatar now

Well deserved.

:thumbsup:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

the treatment:

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro

Omi-Polari posted:

Ah. That makes sense.

But they seriously "court martialed" a deaf guy? Can you imagine being "court martialed" by some random assholes on the internet? Do they do it over Skype? "There will now be a recess as defense counsel requests Mountain Dew and Cheetos." *hits computer desk with gavel*

Here is a pastebin of the "deaf guy" you're speaking of, he's a real charmer. Just like the wheelchair kid, turns out even dicks can be disabled. He's called Nkato.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Read all the way to about here

Did you get tired?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Meanwhile in the presidential suite of a luxury hotel in Macau DS and Croberts split the profits and share a bottle of 50 year old Scotch. Their plan to con people into buying extra ships just to spite Derek Smart had worked flawlessly....

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

AP posted:

I think he said it's not a lawsuit against CIG a while ago, but everyone has ignored that. It better be something funny or, yeah, Star Citizen will finally disappoint.

Oh? Do you know what it'll be? I know practically nothing about law or legal matters.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

XK posted:

Did you get tired?

I read the words "make sense" in a star citizen development context and my brain bluescreened :thejoke:

Actually, I found your posts very interesting

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
the next massive missive hits tuesday. other than that we are in the dark.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Guy I just invented a new fighter tactic where you fly behind the other guy and shoot him, it is called the Decrepus Maneuver.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Decrepus posted:

Guy I just invented a new fighter tactic where you fly behind the other guy and shoot him, it is called the Decrepus Maneuver.

You just gotta leak goon strategy to the pubbies :colbert:

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I read the words "make sense" in a star citizen development context and my brain bluescreened :thejoke:

Actually, I found your posts very interesting

Oh, well then, I agree with you completely.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
:nws:

I made this one. Where has all the money gone? :gary:

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

LLJKSiLk posted:

:nws:

I made this one. Where has all the money gone? :gary:

because spoiler tags means your computer didnt load the nsfw image.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My internet is out drat you time warner

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Eonwe posted:

My internet is out drat you time warner

and yet.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Bolow posted:

Oh come on you can't talk about that and forget to mention the guy they held a "court-martial" for was loving deaf, so he had to have a space lawyer relay everything to him

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Phil Burn posted:

What I don't get is WHY Roberts is considered such a visionary. For an "Ideas Man", his ideas seem pretty loving generic to me.

There is literally no reason. He has not been successful in 15 years. Microsoft had to boot his stupid rear end off the last game project he was on in order to ship the loving thing and cut a ton of the crap he wanted. It turned out a great game in spite of Chris Roberts, not because of him. He was butthurt by this and clearly wanted to make movies anyway, so he left the industry. This is the first thing he's done in over a decade. The hero worship of CRoberts is completely unjustified. He hasn't been relevant in gaming for a long time and he's still operating under the 1980s assumption that a very small group of people can produce great things and everyone else can gently caress off. Nostalgia is one hell of a drug along with the laughable promise that this game will be everything to everyone and it will be the only game you need to play for the rest of your life. He's a washed-up, used car salesman bilking money from desperate nerds who are ruining their own lives over a fantasy. Its just like those guys ignorant about stocks buying up the poo poo some boiler room fraud sells them, thinking that they'll get rich off of it. Instead of exploiting people's greed, he's exploiting...I don't know what, their dreams?

And he got booted out of Hollywood because he thought he could break contract with an Oscar-winning actor and think people would still work with him. I gather once he got the money he thought he could do both: make a 10 hour movie and make his dream game that Microsoft 'ruined'. Except he's doing it in the most incompetent fashion possible. I've got no respect for CRoberts, just like other cons. Whether it was intentional or unintentional, it doesn't matter anymore.

No game that has ever had what Star Citizen has happened to it (missed every deadline, delays, no concrete release of anything, glitchy demos, bad whispering before the game even comes out) has ever ended well. Not one. Just because Chris Roberts made some great games thirty years ago doesn't justify this devotion and lack of accountability. And there is nothing in his past history that he can overcome this. In fact, there's more evidence that he can't rather than can.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 1, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jst0rm posted:

and yet.

https://youtu.be/SkWeMvrNiOM

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCbfMkh940Q

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

I still subscribe because the puzzlebox tells me to.

Star Citizen.... you're playing right now.
There is one simple thing for me.

If it turns out CIG executives have been buying first class plane tickets using backer funds I would be very disappointed.

I can understand flying business class or premium economy and then upgrading with their own money to first class.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Im_drunk posted:

Here is a pastebin of the "deaf guy" you're speaking of, he's a real charmer. Just like the wheelchair kid, turns out even dicks can be disabled. He's called Nkato.

This org is founded on principles of mutual respect you FUCKSTICK.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
What if Star Citizen has just been the viral advertising campaign for Line of Defense the entire time?

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro

BigMouthSingers posted:

There is one simple thing for me.

If it turns out CIG executives have been buying first class plane tickets using backer funds I would be very disappointed.

I can understand flying business class or premium economy and then upgrading with their own money to first class.

A business ticket on American Airlines/British Airways from LAX to LHR is $4,500 on average. That's just the upgrade price from economy, btw.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Dapper Dan posted:

There is literally no reason. He has not been successful in 15 years. Microsoft had to boot his stupid rear end off the last game project he was on in order to ship the loving thing and cut a ton of the crap he wanted. It turned out a great game in spite of Chris Roberts, not because of him. He was butthurt by this and clearly wanted to make movies anyway, so he left the industry. This is the first thing he's done in over a decade. The hero worship of CRoberts is completely unjustified. He hasn't been relevant in gaming for a long time and he's still operating under the 1980s assumption that a very small group of people can produce great things and everyone else can gently caress off. Nostalgia is one hell of a drug along with the laughable promise that this game will be everything to everyone and it will be the only game you need to play for the rest of your life. He's a washed-up, used car salesman bilking money from desperate nerds who are ruining their own lives over a fantasy. Its just like those guys ignorant about stocks buying up the poo poo some boiler room fraud sells them, thinking that they'll get rich off of it. Instead of exploiting people's greed, he's exploiting...I don't know what, their dreams?

And he got booted out of Hollywood because he thought he could break contract with an Oscar-winning actor and think people would still work with him. I gather once he got the money he thought he could do both: make a 10 hour movie and make his dream game that Microsoft 'ruined'. Except he's doing it in the most incompetent fashion possible. I've got no respect for CRoberts, just like other cons. Whether it was intentional or unintentional, it doesn't matter anymore.

No game that has ever had what Star Citizen has happened to it (missed every deadline, delays, no concrete release of anything, glitchy demos, bad whispering before the game even comes out) has ever ended well. Not one. Just because Chris Roberts made some great games thirty years ago doesn't justify this devotion and lack of accountability. And there is nothing in his past history that he can overcome this. In fact, there's more evidence that he can't rather than can.
The thing is, a lot of what CRoberts did was not terrible: trading on nostalgia, crowdfunding, savvy marketing and tapping into built-up demand for space games after the industry had starved the genre for a decade. The spacegame genre had been pretty sparse since Freespace 2. But then he goes and turns $93+ million into a cockup that's now on the verge of going super critical. There is an asteroid-belt sized pile of poo poo about to collide with a very big and expensive space fan.

For Star Citizen fans, I see them often making the point that video game development is volatile, so we shouldn't freak out when there are layoffs, things go awry -- this is a normal part of the process and we should stick to CRoberts' vision. But I want to say that *this is why you should be very wary of promises made by video game developers.* This is an industry built on the bones of bankrupt companies and broken dreams. Star Citizen is mainly shaping up to being an enormous disaster because it involves crowdfunding instead of a big corporation losing its rear end. In terms of dollar amounts lost Gizmondo was several times bigger as a failure, but no one remembers it because it was a taco-shaped handheld device and it was big investors who got screwed.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

"turn the other cheek" ultra christians?

Nope. He's one of those ultra religious atheists though. Oops! Forgive me! Atheist, with a capital A. Very serious stuff.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Dapper Dan posted:

And he got booted out of Hollywood because he thought he could break contract with an Oscar-winning actor and think people would still work with him. I gather once he got the money he thought he could do both: make a 10 hour movie and make his dream game that Microsoft 'ruined'.

I'd like to hear more about both of these individual things.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

*spins chair around, bangs hand on armrest, and delivers contrived dialogue in a constipated voice*

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Omi-Polari posted:

The thing is, a lot of what CRoberts did was not terrible: trading on nostalgia, crowdfunding, savvy marketing and tapping into built-up demand for space games after the industry had starved the genre for a decade. The spacegame genre had been pretty sparse since Freespace 2. But then he goes and turns $93+ million into a cockup that's now on the verge of going super critical. There is an asteroid-belt sized pile of poo poo about to collide with a very big and expensive space fan.

For Star Citizen fans, I see them often making the point that video game development is volatile, so we shouldn't freak out when there are layoffs, things go awry -- this is a normal part of the process and we should stick to CRoberts' vision. But I want to say that *this is why you should be very wary of promises made by video game developers.* This is an industry built on the bones of bankrupt companies and broken dreams. Star Citizen is mainly shaping up to being an enormous disaster because it involves crowdfunding instead of a big corporation losing its rear end. In terms of dollar amounts lost Gizmondo was several times bigger as a failure, but no one remembers it because it was a taco-shaped handheld device and it was big investors who got screwed.

This was along my thoughts when I tweeted "A "business plan" that relies on pledge donations as its core income is not either self sustaining or a business plan."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

Assuming this train manages to keep going for a good while longer, I still think saying "the graphics look a bit dated to me" will be both true and result in amazing levels of denial.
See but that's where CIG's prioritization of making things "fun to play" will save them.

Oh wait, sorry- never mind.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Kicked out by space court
In space I can't hear you scream
I can't hear anything

Winning at robots
That is him in the wheelchair
REM song ruined

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Phil Burn posted:

What I don't get is WHY Roberts is considered such a visionary. For an "Ideas Man", his ideas seem pretty loving generic to me.

This was actually pretty well explained in the previous(?) thread. It's kind of a different take on the whole definition of a pioneer.

It's because his productive period was at a time when PC gaming started to come into its own after a decade of Commodore, Atari, hell even Apple dominance as the “step up” from simple consoles. As such, he took part in defining a genre. What he did was, to be honest, not very good, but it was very new and very cutting edge. He tried a bunch of stuff before it was really possible — half of it worked, half was jank, and all of it was done far better by other a few years later when they had learned from his mistakes and when the hardware and customer base had caught up.

The “visionary” thing in all of this was in part the idea to combine popular design features that already existed into something more cohesive, and in part to put great presentation on it. It didn't really matter (at the time) that the writing has pure hackery and the gameplay was slightly shallower than a puddle on a parquet floor. It was space storytelling fast-food, ready for consumption. It was still new and eye-catching enough to set the tone for almost a decade.

So it seems generic for two reasons: one is that it copied whole-heartedly from existing source material (be it Star Wars and everything that followed or the whole Top Gun/Iron Eagle genre), and the other is that so many other games immediately came along to fill in these newly-created game genres with proper design and storytelling.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Omi-Polari posted:

This is why I believe Roberts was a true believer in his own poo poo. Even knowing there was pent up demand for space sims, there's no way anyone could've gone into this thinking they would get tens of millions of dollars, approaching one hundred million. I don't know if he's yet to realize the poo poo he's in, but I'm pretty sure he started out with good intentions, and worked his way up to this point through self-delusion. If he realizes what he's stuck in right now, big if, he might be feeling like he's in too deep and has to keep the thing running so he can manage pull something off.

Actually, if he does fully understand the tough spot he is in, and recognizes the project is hosed, and he only got himself here through delusional good intentions, I'd feel really bad for him. At least, if I were in his position, I'd have a lot of sleepless nights if I hosed up enough to find myself there.

Karl_Ramseier
Aug 21, 2015

I don't have to work very hard at being an asshole. It comes naturally.

No practice needed.

Since Goons ruin everything, I'm pretending to be a Goon for Halloween!

Wuxi posted:

Silly, they are german, you can't sue somebody in germany.

Ok, I admit I'm a bit curious. Is there an actual story behind matilda/wulf/karl/:gary:?

Yes, I want to know, too.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

AP posted:

It's like an addiction for some, they need help really.

:wtchris:

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

AP posted:

To be fair to SUN, they've probably had a great time role-playing being a space navy for the last three years while us idiots were waiting for a pc game.

speak for yourself! from day one of the kickstarter i suspected everything mush mouth said was poorly planned and unrealistic. he pretty much promised the sky and everyone ate it all up

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

XK posted:

Actually, if he does fully understand the tough spot he is in, and recognizes the project is hosed, and he only got himself here through delusional good intentions, I'd feel really bad for him. At least, if I were in his position, I'd have a lot of sleepless nights if I hosed up enough to find myself there.
I would feel bad and have for other crowdfunding projects that have failed through to ignorance, but the key difference here is those projects didn't try to repeatedly drain deluded fans out of thousands and thousands of dollars, over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Omi-Polari posted:

Ah. That makes sense.

But they seriously "court martialed" a deaf guy? Can you imagine being "court martialed" by some random assholes on the internet? Do they do it over Skype? "There will now be a recess as defense counsel requests Mountain Dew and Cheetos." *hits computer desk with gavel*

As a deaf person, this makes me laugh. They would need video relay for that dumb poo poo, so imagine involving real people to interpret into this process, as if they've entered a secret room of inexplicable happenings only to be incredulous as one assumes that this pertains to some kind of bizarre fetish roleplay.

One can only imagine at least anyways. This kind of absurdity is why I prefer to keep in the dark about a lot of things in general, including my life.

Although, I'm just wondering what's this about a kangaroo court over JPEG ships?

• Locked thread