Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

XK posted:

Actually, if he does fully understand the tough spot he is in, and recognizes the project is hosed, and he only got himself here through delusional good intentions, I'd feel really bad for him. At least, if I were in his position, I'd have a lot of sleepless nights if I hosed up enough to find myself there.

I have no doubt that he's been having sleepless nights recently, but I doubt he's had any revelations about himself because of them. If he were capable of figuring that out he would have rectified his behavior many projects ago. He's probably aware at this point that there's no escaping this catastrophe, but much like his fan-base he will go down blaming those underneath him/Derek Smart/goons in the end. His manic response to the Escapist proves as much.

Sandi will also do anything but blame herself, but fortunately for her she can point the cross-hairs at Chris when the going gets rough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Chris had a good idea and a team that could have pulled it off. And then because reasons it just started to slip away into whatever this is.

I was onboard until they did the shift away from Austin and high profile people started leaving. I thought that Chris might be overselling a bit but he had a good crew that could at least deliver wing commander with new graphics and that is all I really wanted. It also marked the point when they went from the goofy community videos that were corny but informative to the all style no substance stuff they put out now.

Still waiting on that refund.

RescueFreak fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 1, 2015

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

spacetoaster posted:

Nope. He's one of those ultra religious atheists though. Oops! Forgive me! Atheist, with a capital A. Very serious stuff.

His type of atheism makes me cringe so hard. Is this how christians feel about those westboro baptist people?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lastgirl posted:

As a deaf person

As a deaf person can you imagine what a constipated person's voice would sound like or do you not have enough context? I mean this unironically.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a good summary of what's going on with Star Citizen? Are things actually dire?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tsyni posted:

Is there a good summary of what's going on with Star Citizen? Are things actually dire?

Here's a fairly balanced take on what's going on that is pretty recent: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/27/star-citizen-101-what-is-it-and-why-is-it-controversial/

Here's a tl;dr: they are hemorrhaging money and talent are completely hosed.

Come back on Tuesday and there should be nice drama for you to enjoy.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I have no doubt that he's been having sleepless nights recently, but I doubt he's had any revelations about himself because of them. If he were capable of figuring that out he would have rectified his behavior many projects ago. He's probably aware at this point that there's no escaping this catastrophe, but much like his fan-base he will go down blaming those underneath him/Derek Smart/goons in the end. His manic response to the Escapist proves as much.

Sandi will also do anything but blame herself, but fortunately for her she can point the cross-hairs at Chris when the going gets rough.

This is true. If it were me, I would've found a way to bail out well before it were driven into the tens of millions, and made attempts to moderate expectations. However, they are continuing to fleece funds from believers. I still think Roberts found himself here somewhat unintentionally, and it's going to end up being a disaster for everyone. The backers will never get an adequate game, and Roberts will blow every dollar on office space, motion capture, and coffee machines.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Here's a fairly balanced take on what's going on that is pretty recent: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/10/27/star-citizen-101-what-is-it-and-why-is-it-controversial/

Here's a tl;dr: they are hemorrhaging money and talent are completely hosed.

Come back on Tuesday and there should be nice drama for you to enjoy.

what's happening on tuesday?

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

AP posted:

It's like an addiction for some, they need help really.

get rid of the wife, problem solved! :)

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Agrajag posted:

what's happening on tuesday?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=148&perpage=40#post452157468

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

how?

they ships are just concepts... are the "flight manuals" just concepts too? why waste the time if whoever wrote those is just pulling it out of their asses?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

His type of atheism makes me cringe so hard. Is this how christians feel about those westboro baptist people?

I have no idea. At least with those religions you have one codified book you can argue over. With wulf it's just rambling BS forum posts as holy atheist scripture.

Well, that's the SC cult too, I guess. Have any of them codified the letters from the chairmen into a bible yet? Are the 10 for the producers like the books written by the apostles? I'm afraid to look because it might actually have happened.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Maldoror posted:

how?

they ships are just concepts... are the "flight manuals" just concepts too? why waste the time if whoever wrote those is just pulling it out of their asses?

Each of those ships are currently flyable in the game.

That doesn't make the idea of writing a fake flight manual any less stupid, though.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

I have no idea. At least with those religions you have one codified book you can argue over. With wulf it's just rambling BS forum posts as holy atheist scripture.

Well, that's the SC cult too, I guess. Have any of them codified the letters from the chairmen into a bible yet? Are the 10 for the producers like the books written by the apostles? I'm afraid to look because it might actually have happened.

NOnonononononononononolnononononononononononononononono. Why did I google sc bible. whywhywhywhy.

Crap. All of you should suffer too.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46095085/The%20BIG%20Star%20Citizen%20Admirer%27s%20Manual.pdf

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

NOnonononononononononolnononononononononononononononono. Why did I google sc bible. whywhywhywhy.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46095085/The%20BIG%20Star%20Citizen%20Admirer%27s%20Manual.pdf

I too like to write for a week straight when I am neither payed nor required to publish said volume.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

spacetoaster posted:

wow, the title is some pretty deep cover self-trolling.

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro
"S.C.A.M."

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Im_drunk posted:

"S.C.A.M."

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

A while back I gave them a headstart.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I think one of the funniest and most sad things about the flight manual garbage is that a lot of those idiots kept using as a reference for what would happen in real space Combat. Try and bring intelligence to it and tell them fighters and bombers would never actually exist as anything other than for sport and they get super defensive.

Makes it so worth the argument.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's like when the Brits were trying to crack the Enigma code in WW2 with clever puzzle-solvers and riddle-minded dudes, only to realize that no, none of that poo poo matters and it's all just boring math.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

spacetoaster posted:

“Star Citizen will contain a large, persistent universe,” is a statement that can be believed. -- The Big S.C.A.M., 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR5Pgq0A3M4

Thanks whoever did this.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Nyeehg posted:

This whole mess just makes me sad. Even if the game wasn't a sham, I genuinely fear the reaction these people will have if when this peters out. I mean look at this:

At minimum, we have people foregoing food in order to buy promises and dreams. Even though he tries to excuse it, you should never be spending to the point where you ignore basic necessities. I don't care if it's for a month or an hour, you don't do that. That behaviour is unhealthy.

What's worse, this example is one of the tamer ones. How many people have drove themselves into financial ruin backing this game. At the very least, we know one guy ended up getting divorced because he spent all the family savings on a game that shows no sign of finishing anytime soon.

I'd like to think these are just outliers. However, the community's own actions suggest otherwise. The number of people reacting to Derek's running commentary by dropping hundreds and thousands of dollars on this game cannot end well.

Serious question to crossposting redditors: What is the appeal of pre ordering ships? Even assuming the game gets made and reveals all who spoke ill of the project to be wrong, I don't see any advantage in buying them. They certainly don't provide anything tangible at this point. Why not wait until the game is out before you commit several thousand dollars to a product?

So your post made me think about exploiting mental disorders but first of all I would like to make something clear because several people posted similar things. You can't really blame suicides on video games or whatever because irrational behavior is caused by underlying mental health issues. It's the same thing as blaming school shootings on video games. Those people were nuts in the first place and playing Doom didn't cause them to murder.

The problem is when you exploit people who have mental health issues.

South Park had a good episode on this topic last year in regards to addictive personality disorders and free to play games with micro transactions. Much like gambling addiction, a small percentage of the population has difficulty stopping and will spend until they are homeless. Companies knowingly exploit this and model their games to manipulate these so called whales to make huge profits. An example of this is last year when it was determined that Candy Crush will alter game play to compel users to spend money to continue playing. It is already well documented that Star Citizen is using the same model as micro transactions except with a much higher dollar amount. Star Citizen relies on whales to spend way too much money on jpegs. These are the people, as demonstrated in the above post that are spending all of their money on jpegs and neglecting to set aside cash for food.

Here's what I think would be an excellent topic for Derrick Smart to blog about.

Chris Roberts made a long and defensive post about how Derrick Smart and the Escapist are attacking his game and commented about how the livelihood of 261 developers; A loving COMPANY IS AT STEAK (old joke). He made it clear that his company is vulnerable to such attacks and Derrick is supposedly responsible for threatening the careers of all these people. It's bullshit of course but the main problem is that his company is using a similar model as these free to play companies that exploit addictive personalities. Chris Roberts is exploiting the mental health issues of these whales who buy jpeg ships to enrich himself and his company. He's knowingly manipulating addictive disorders and ruining lives but it's important that his company isn't shut down by dissenters.

Alternately: :gary: PAAAARP!

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 1, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

RVWinkle posted:

Here's what I think would be an excellent topic for Derrick Smart to blog about.

Chris Roberts made a long and defensive post about how Derrick Smart and the Escapist are attacking his game and commented about how the livelihood of 261 developers are at steak (old joke). He made it clear that his company is vulnerable to such attacks and Derrick is supposedly responsible for threatening the careers of all these people. It's bullshit of course but the main problem is that his company is using a similar model as these free to play companies that exploit addictive personalities. Chris Roberts is exploiting the mental health issues of these whales who buy jpeg ships to enrich himself and his company. He's knowingly manipulating addictive disorders and ruining lives but it's important that his company isn't shut down by dissenters.

I don't know if Derrick is capable of writing about such things, but yeah, I'd read it (unlike all the other "blog posts").

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

BigMouthSingers posted:

There is one simple thing for me.

If it turns out CIG executives have been buying first class plane tickets using backer funds I would be very disappointed.

I can understand flying business class or premium economy and then upgrading with their own money to first class.

On "Reverse the Verse" after Citcon, there was an interesting exchange.

Thomas Hennessy was addressed by the crew - he was behind the camera, and Sandi mentioned flying with him back from the UK. The camera was turned by Jared to face Thomas and ask benign questions about the trip, to which he replied something like, "Yeah, Sandi and I flew back together. She was in the upstairs area--"

Which prompted a quick reply from Sandi off-camera, "Don't worry folks it was still Economy."

I went and dug around on double decker planes flying international routes. It seems like the majority reserve upstairs for Business Class and First Class.

I'm not saying it's impossible Sandi was telling the truth. Just that I was already laughing when Thomad made his comment and before Sandi finished her retort, simply because the first thing that popped into my mind was "Well of course she flew first class!"

(I'm sorry, Sandi, if I'm judging you unfairly...)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Decrepus posted:

As a deaf person can you imagine what a constipated person's voice would sound like or do you not have enough context? I mean this unironically.

I'm not really gonna go in too in depth with this but I hear enough, I just say deaf because people don't really understand what hard-of-hearing means. It would be like describing color to a dog.

I hear enough to know that yes, deaf people sound funny when they talk and yea people are dicks about it, but then again I can hear enough to know that hearing people speak like they have marbles in their mouth 80% of the time and can't enunciate properly to save their lives, so they might as well be drunk slurring considering that would be a large improvement. Most people to me, are just weird creatures who harness vibrations in their throat and emit them out at others and all I hear is that without any distinction, thats all I can surmise.

Again though, I would like to know about this kangaroo space court involving this deaf person, not because of solidarity but because this amuses me greatly and I want to mock this relentlessly among my friends.

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 1, 2015

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

spacetoaster posted:

It's happening all the time.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

RVWinkle posted:

Chris Roberts made a long and defensive post about how Derrick Smart and the Escapist are attacking his game and commented about how the livelihood of 261 developers are at steak (old joke). He made it clear that his company is vulnerable to such attacks and Derrick is supposedly responsible for threatening the careers of all these people.

Thing is, if what he's saying is true then Derek and the Escapist are the least of his concerns. It's not like they're actively sabotaging CIG, just pointing out issues that exist within the company.

Karl_Ramseier
Aug 21, 2015

I don't have to work very hard at being an asshole. It comes naturally.

No practice needed.

Since Goons ruin everything, I'm pretending to be a Goon for Halloween!

G0RF posted:

Actually, Derek is batting over .500 on detailed predictions regarding CIG's future-- which is considerably better than CIG's record.

As amazing as this is to type (I honestly can't believe my brain is letting my fingers type it), "Derek Smart is one of the most credible authorities rendering judgment on Cloud imperium at this time."

I know this has proven a very difficult thing for Star Citizen backers to accept. It runs counter to the triumphalist "I've come to save PC Gaming and create the Best drat Space Sim Ever!" narrative of Chris Roberts and to the "destroyer of Coke Machines and producer of much derided games" reputation of Derek Smart. Yet the narratives are irrelevant to the facts since July, and the fact is, Derek has predicted CIG's steps with eerie accuracy.

If you sling enough mud around some of it will stick. Someone wrote he produced 50k words in his blogs alone. Most things he predicted were completely wrong, some half truth. Not one 100% accurate. The Leaving of James for example was pure datamining the rsi page. I don't say he hasn't contacts, even an inside source would be possible. But if he has an inside source, she should be more accurate in the future.
CIG on the other side has the worst PR department I ever saw. The way they are communicating with their backers is hilarious and a real shame.
I asked a friend of mine working in marketing and he said: "look, the only thing they are interested in is selling their product. And as long as this approach is working, nothing will change."
In the end they let Smart's crusade gain the traction it had because they fail to communicate with their player base. This open development prattle is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. At this point there is no open development left.

GORF posted:

We do not yet have confirmation as to their financial standing. Derek's claims that CIG was down to an 7 figure cash reserve as of late summer is perhaps his most outrageous claim of all-- yet it seems telling that Ortwin and Chris ignored this particular whopper in their detailed replies to the Escapist article. Nothing would have been easier to refute-- and no other claim The Escapist (and formerly Derek Smart) was more dire about the state of things at Cloud Imperium.

We won't get any detailed information about their financial standing if they don't want to. Forget about that it's just Smart's wet dream. And I strongly hope they don't have millions just lying around. That's just how a failed developer thinks a company should handle their finances. But what do you expect from a man who pretends to be different people in online tutorials for his garbage game? That was really - odd.

GORF posted:

But even if Derek is proven wrong on this point, he's still batting over .500. His credibility is unfortunately higher than you estimate.

The fun part would be that this is the only point which matters. The restructuring of the company was overdue. With Erin in a global leader role and foundry 42 in Germany they did the right thing. Star Marine was/is a fiasco. They are rebuilding it from scratch, but this isn't the end of days. As long as they have enough money they continue to produce these games and either they succeed or they don't, we certainly can't change that.

GORF posted:

Well, I'd agree Derek can be a bully, but in ways both good and bad, he's considerably more than that.

He is a human being desperately seeking attention. The traction his missives got is already over and now he plays the jester for you guys until you have enough of him. And with every sentence he writes he is digging his grave regarding any legal action. But according to AP there is no lawsuit, so what it is this all about?

GORF posted:

I can think of no individual on this planet who has proven a greater threat to CIG than Derek Smart, save for Chris Roberts and Sandi Gardiner.

Phew, then they have nothing to fear. This thread is as much an echo chamber as the star citizen subreddit. You guys are exaggerating everything bad and the Redditors everything good. The truth is just somewhere in the middle.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

CrazyTolradi posted:

Thing is, if what he's saying is true then Derek and the Escapist are the least of his concerns. It's not like they're actively sabotaging CIG, just pointing out issues that exist within the company.

I agree with what you say. It's just that Roberts' hyperbole is extremely hypocritical when his lovely business model is designed to manipulate mental illness.

RVWinkle fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 1, 2015

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Karl_Ramseier posted:

And I strongly hope they don't have millions just lying around.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

As long as they have enough money they continue to produce these games and either they succeed or they don't, we certainly can't change that.

So at first you hope they don't have money in reserve, then you go on to say if they have that money in reserve, the game will be ok.

Make up your loving mind dude.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

CrazyTolradi posted:

So at first you hope they don't have money in reserve, then you go on to say if they have that money in reserve, the game will be ok.

Only goons deal in absolutes.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

RVWinkle posted:

So your post made me think about exploiting mental disorders but first of all I would like to make something clear because several people posted similar things. You can't really blame suicides on video games or whatever because irrational behavior is caused by underlying mental health issues. It's the same thing as blaming school shootings on video games. Those people were nuts in the first place and playing Doom didn't cause them to murder.

The problem is when you exploit people who have mental health issues.

South Park had a good episode on this topic last year in regards to addictive personality disorders and free to play games with micro transactions. Much like gambling addiction, a small percentage of the population has difficulty stopping and will spend until they are homeless. Companies knowingly exploit this and model their games to manipulate these so called whales to make huge profits. An example of this is last year when it was determined that Candy Crush will alter game play to compel users to spend money to continue playing. It is already well documented that Star Citizen is using the same model as micro transactions except with a much higher dollar amount. Star Citizen relies on whales to spend way too much money on jpegs. These are the people, as demonstrated in the above post that are spending all of their money on jpegs and neglecting to set aside cash for food.

Chris Roberts made a long and defensive post about how Derrick Smart and the Escapist are attacking his game and commented about how the livelihood of 261 developers; A loving COMPANY IS AT STEAK (old joke). He made it clear that his company is vulnerable to such attacks and Derrick is supposedly responsible for threatening the careers of all these people. It's bullshit of course but the main problem is that his company is using a similar model as these free to play companies that exploit addictive personalities. Chris Roberts is exploiting the mental health issues of these whales who buy jpeg ships to enrich himself and his company. He's knowingly manipulating addictive disorders and ruining lives but it's important that his company isn't shut down by dissenters.

Alternately: :gary: PAAAARP!

Yeah, the "Chris Roberts as good-natured but overambitious bungler who just wants to make the world's most bestest pew pew spaceship game" narrative doesn't line up with the horribly cynical and exploitative funding model. That poo poo is loving criminal.

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro

G0RF posted:

I went and dug around on double decker planes flying international routes. It seems like the majority reserve upstairs for Business Class and First Class.

I'm not saying it's impossible Sandi was telling the truth. Just that I was already laughing when Thomad made his comment and before Sandi finished her retort, simply because the first thing that popped into my mind was "Well of course she flew first class!"

(I'm sorry, Sandi, if I'm judging you unfairly...)

Just want to point out, to be completely fair, that A380 used by most British Airways UK bound flights from US have a lot of economy seats upstairs.

Karl_Ramseier
Aug 21, 2015

I don't have to work very hard at being an asshole. It comes naturally.

No practice needed.

Since Goons ruin everything, I'm pretending to be a Goon for Halloween!

CrazyTolradi posted:

Two completely different things, but hey at least you tried.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Two completely different things, but hey at least you tried.

Please explain how having cash in reserve to complete a project is totally different to say, having cash "lying around"?

I expect you'll go into as much detail with this as you have with Derek Smart's legal history.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Hey goons which jpegs are OP or FOTM because I'm looking to get into this game and only want the most :tubular: jpegs.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

CiG got 4 million more bucks this month. I get the skepticism regarding their promises but I don't see how the company offices are going to be shuttered any time soon. It seems like they can just raise another 3-4 mil almost whenever they like by pulling a CitizenCon and a new ship sale. Can anyone hazard a guess at what their monthly expenses must be like for their staffing levels, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Mukip posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

CiG got 4 million more bucks this month. I get the skepticism regarding their promises but I don't see how the company offices are going to be shuttered any time soon. It seems like they can just raise another 3-4 mil almost whenever they like by pulling a CitizenCon and a new ship sale. Can anyone hazard a guess at what their monthly expenses must be like for their staffing levels, etc?

This has been done time and time again. Please stay up to date on the best games thread ever.

• Locked thread