Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Mukip posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

CiG got 4 million more bucks this month. I get the skepticism regarding their promises but I don't see how the company offices are going to be shuttered any time soon. It seems like they can just raise another 3-4 mil almost whenever they like by pulling a CitizenCon and a new ship sale. Can anyone hazard a guess at what their monthly expenses must be like for their staffing levels, etc?
The caveat is that October and November is when CIG makes most of its money for the year *and* they're still down 20% compared to 2014 and we're not factoring in refunds (which may be relatively small, but still). Last November they made $6 million and I don't see them topping it.

I agree with your larger point though. They're still bringing in ... quite a lot of money. They're probably going to stick around for awhile.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Nov 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
Meh, until I see an actual lawsuit against CIG by Derek Smart - it's all just a farce anyways.

Nobody really gives a poo poo about him going after whales that shovel money into the cocaine pit.

I want to see a CIG vs. DSmart legal blowout that cripples both parties financially.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

jaegerx posted:

This has been done time and time again. Please stay up to date on the best games thread ever.

Well poo poo, sorry. Wouldn't want to post something repetitive in this thread.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Karl_Ramseier posted:

If you sling enough mud around some of it will stick. Someone wrote he produced 50k words in his blogs alone. Most things he predicted were completely wrong, some half truth. Not one 100% accurate. The Leaving of James for example was pure datamining the rsi page. I don't say he hasn't contacts, even an inside source would be possible. But if he has an inside source, she should be more accurate in the future.
CIG on the other side has the worst PR department I ever saw. The way they are communicating with their backers is hilarious and a real shame.
I asked a friend of mine working in marketing and he said: "look, the only thing they are interested in is selling their product. And as long as this approach is working, nothing will change."
In the end they let Smart's crusade gain the traction it had because they fail to communicate with their player base. This open development prattle is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. At this point there is no open development left.

We won't get any detailed information about their financial standing if they don't want to. Forget about that it's just Smart's wet dream. And I strongly hope they don't have millions just lying around. That's just how a failed developer thinks a company should handle their finances. But what do you expect from a man who pretends to be different people in online tutorials for his garbage game? That was really - odd.

The fun part would be that this is the only point which matters. The restructuring of the company was overdue. With Erin in a global leader role and foundry 42 in Germany they did the right thing. Star Marine was/is a fiasco. They are rebuilding it from scratch, but this isn't the end of days. As long as they have enough money they continue to produce these games and either they succeed or they don't, we certainly can't change that.

He is a human being desperately seeking attention. The traction his missives got is already over and now he plays the jester for you guys until you have enough of him. And with every sentence he writes he is digging his grave regarding any legal action. But according to AP there is no lawsuit, so what it is this all about?

Phew, then they have nothing to fear. This thread is as much an echo chamber as the star citizen subreddit. You guys are exaggerating everything bad and the Redditors everything good. The truth is just somewhere in the middle.

I wrote all this and posted it under this alt-account. Or just "same".

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

AP posted:

Found an old link that still works, I bookmark and save the real crazy stuff, I took some screen grabs but these are only a sample of the full horror within.

SUN Docs

Is this the document that had a section on service rotation restrictions with 2 weeks at "the front" 2 weeks in anti-piracy and 2 weeks in reserve? What the gently caress is wrong with these people

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is this the document that had a section on service rotation restrictions with 2 weeks at "the front" 2 weeks in anti-piracy and 2 weeks in reserve? What the gently caress is wrong with these people

They're roleplaying as people with important lives.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes it is.

And autism. Autism is what is wrong with people.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Im_drunk posted:

Just want to point out, to be completely fair, that A380 used by most British Airways UK bound flights from US have a lot of economy seats upstairs.

While this may be true, there is no way 'I'm on a Yacht during Moanoco' Sandi would ever fly anything not first class. There is no way in hell.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

SneakyFrog posted:

and my axe

And my axe!

what?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

It's almost November 1st :woop:

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Omi-Polari posted:

The caveat is that October and November is when CIG makes most of its money for the year *and* they're still down 20% compared to 2014 and we're not factoring in refunds (which may be relatively small, but still). Last November they made $6 million and I don't see them topping it.

I agree with your larger point though. They're still bringing in ... quite a lot of money. They're probably going to stick around for awhile.

I mean, if they keep raking in the cash then they'll probably put a game out eventually. Supposedly the multi-crew/FPS is around the corner. It couldn't possibly satisfy the fever dreams of it's most rabid backers, the individual components probably won't be as fun as more focused games, people probably wouldn't have spent so much money on the finished product on it's own merits as opposed to the The Dream that has been sold by CRoberts, and it will probably have much less content than you'd expect given all the time wasted on "revisions"... but personally I'm not really persuaded that this game isn't going to come out at some point and broadly satisfy the criteria of being a space sim game with a persistent universe, fps stuff and a single player campaign. But let's see what Dr Smart has to show us.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Karl_Ramseier posted:

If you sling enough mud around some of it will stick. Someone wrote he produced 50k words in his blogs alone. Most things he predicted were completely wrong, some half truth. Not one 100% accurate. The Leaving of James for example was pure datamining the rsi page. I don't say he hasn't contacts, even an inside source would be possible. But if he has an inside source, she should be more accurate in the future.

Derek predicted they were closing down the Austin studio. CIG denied it. Turns out they were.

Derek predicted they were cancelling the FPS module. CIG denied it. Turns out they were.

CIG have been lying about release dates all year, when they've known otherwise. They refuse to offer even a basic breakdown (no details, just basics) of how money is being spent, which would summarily destroy Smart's initiative. Their behavior isn't just poor PR marketing. It is shady and on occasion deceptive.

I would never trust Derek Smart on his word alone, but so far Smart has been making claims and CIG has been making responses that later turn out to be lies. It only goes one way. Not the other way.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Karl_Ramseier posted:

And I strongly hope they don't have millions just lying around. That's just how a failed developer thinks a company should handle their finances.

lol

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mukip posted:

I mean, if they keep raking in the cash then they'll probably put a game out eventually.
Not necessarily, and even if that is the case, the first question is how much more money will they need and where will they get it from? Whales are a finite resource with finite finances to pump into SC. CIG doesn't have a publisher behind them to get more funds from. They might be able to get more funds via loans, but if they're at the point where they need that then anyone who's going to buy the game already has and at best it'll make chump change post-release.

Mukip posted:

Supposedly the multi-crew/FPS is around the corner. It couldn't possibly satisfy the fever dreams of it's most rabid backers, the individual components probably won't be as fun as more focused games, people probably wouldn't have spent so much money on the finished product on it's own merits as opposed to the The Dream that has been sold by CRoberts, and it will probably have much less content than you'd expect given all the time wasted on "revisions"... but personally I'm not really persuaded that this game isn't going to come out at some point and broadly satisfy the criteria of being a space sim game with a persistent universe, fps stuff and a single player campaign. But let's see what Dr Smart has to show us.
Sure, just because Chris Roberts was doing the same thing a decade and a half ago with Freelancer, doesn't mean it won't happen again. It's not like Digital Anvil had to be bought out and CRoberts forced off the project to get a released product. History can't repeat itself, right?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Im_drunk posted:

Just want to point out, to be completely fair, that A380 used by most British Airways UK bound flights from US have a lot of economy seats upstairs.
I'm glad you posted this --- because as much as the cynic in my would like to believe the worst at all times, I know that doing so isn't really fair or reasonable... I've only flown on a double-decker plane once in my life-- and on that flight, I did fly upstairs in the swanky business class seats. That certainly colored my perception, and perhaps unfairly.

So let it be noted that I'd amend my prior anecdote, and acknowledge that the possibility exists that Sandi was telling the honest truth about that particular issue.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

CrazyTolradi posted:

Not necessarily, and even if that is the case, the first question is how much more money will they need and where will they get it from? Whales are a finite resource with finite finances to pump into SC. CIG doesn't have a publisher behind them to get more funds from. They might be able to get more funds via loans, but if they're at the point where they need that then anyone who's going to buy the game already has and at best it'll make chump change post-release.

I agree, but if you asked me last year whether they would still be making multi-million dollar monthly revenue by now then I'd have said that they already exhausted the well of silly money. I don't understand where it all keeps coming from so I can't really say that they won't make more.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A lot of people have posted on reddit and twitter that they've been doubling down on their pledges since dsmart threw his hat into the ring. He's galvanized a lot of people to sink their sunk costs even further.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Mukip posted:

Well poo poo, sorry. Wouldn't want to post something repetitive in this thread.

I f5 this thread every minute. Best games thread every. I do however provide recaps on the #starcitizen channel on syn irc.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Mukip posted:

I agree, but if you asked me last year whether they would still be making multi-million dollar monthly revenue by now then I'd have said that they already exhausted the well of silly money. I don't understand where it all keeps coming from so I can't really say that they won't make more.

The money keeps coming because of a promise of what is to be. As soon as anything "complete" is released, the money train is over and everything will collapse into itself like a blackhole. The only play is to keep everything perpetually in development.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mukip posted:

So by your logic, because they're still bringing in 3-4 million in one month they can keep doing it for X years to make the game? Given that last month was an exception due to Citizencon and sales this month as well as a possible sale in December might see that trend continue, next year will likely be a very different story. You can only sell a product that doesn't exist for so long, and the longer this takes the harder it will be for CIG to convince all but the most diehard backers to sink more money into it.

I seriously have to think that there will be one or two people who'll put living cost funds into SC and end up either out on the street or starving and getting stuck up in an ER.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They're *this* close to becoming self-aware:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3e213e/chris_roberts_the_steve_jobs_of_gaming/

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

I'm glad you posted this --- because as much as the cynic in my would like to believe the worst at all times, I know that doing so isn't really fair or reasonable... I've only flown on a double-decker plane once in my life-- and on that flight, I did fly upstairs in the swanky business class seats. That certainly colored my perception, and perhaps unfairly.

So let it be noted that I'd amend my prior anecdote, and acknowledge that the possibility exists that Sandi was telling the honest truth about that particular issue.

You still have a pretty crappy personality Sandi.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

This owns.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Jon Do posted:

“Star Citizen will contain a large, persistent universe,” is a statement that can be believed. -- The Big S.C.A.M., 2015

Only registered members can see post attachments!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Who's gonna be the first goon to nutscape the jpegs on stargur?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Karl_Ramseier posted:

If you sling enough mud around some of it will stick.
This cliched analogy assumes that Derek's accurate accusations were somehow causal to CIG's problems.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Most things he predicted were completely wrong, some half truth. Not one 100% accurate.
A Neurotic Jew addressed this already so I won't belabor the point of noting your error.

quote:

CIG on the other side has the worst PR department I ever saw.
I'm glad we agree on something. There's hope for you yet!

Karl_Ramseier posted:

We won't get any detailed information about their financial standing if they don't want to. Forget about that it's just Smart's wet dream. And I strongly hope they don't have millions just lying around.
We likely won't. Save for Bootcha, who has a right as an investor to require that disclosure. I wouldn't expect him to share that here, but the fact that he's already completely lost hope in the management team, based on his own research, should give you pause, as should the fact that you sincerely hope they DON'T have millions just lying around. (Cash is their lifeblood, and the less of it they have, the greater the likelihood they will fail to deliver 'The Best drat Space Sim Ever'. Just FYI.)

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Star Marine was/is a fiasco. They are rebuilding it from scratch, but this isn't the end of days. As long as they have enough money they continue to produce these games and either they succeed or they don't, we certainly can't change that.
Hey, we agree on a second thing. Yet you don't seem to agree with yourself, since only sentences ago you said you hoped they don't have millions lying around. Unless you are rooting for it to fail, which you obviously aren't, then you should consider doing the work of reconciling your contradictory opinions. Cognitive dissonance is a burden to those afflicted with it, and you deserve better than to suffer from it unnecessarily.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

(Derek) is a human being desperately seeking attention.
When has he ever not been? Yet here again, we agree. Unfortunately, in his lifelong quixotic quest for attention, he finally seems to have struck Spindletop. He has the attention of hundreds of thousands, thanks in no small part to the inability of the Star Citizen zealots to ignore him. In so doing, they elevated the gadfly into a SuperVillain, helped turn media spotlights on him in the process, and ultimately prompted embarrassing and legally ill-considered overreactions from both Roberts AND Ortwin. Sandi, too, even-- between repeated tweeted 'discoveries' of dubious proofs of her educational credentials, laughingly disingenuous claims at Citcon that "Chris is my husband, it's no secret!", and the emotional resignation-that-wasn't speech she gave the same day.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Phew, then they have nothing to fear.
Okay!

Karl_Ramseier posted:

This thread is as much an echo chamber as the star citizen subreddit.
Not true. You're actually free to state your rebuttals without fear of being downvoted to oblivion. And you aren't the only person here who remains incredibly optimistic about the future of Star Citizen.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

You guys are exaggerating everything bad and the Redditors everything good.
Unfortunately, history seems to be conforming more to the perceptions of goons than spacenerds. If it wasn't, we'd have a Best drat Space Sim Ever by now, right? Instead we have a few modules, a vanishing FPS, a ship production backlog of over 70% against sold inventory, perpetually missed release dates, a miserable flight mechanic (along with promises to improve it), a Retaliator that can't stay visible in a highly managed "tour" of the PU that looked more like a bad ragdoll flyover and an only slightly updated version of the ending of Carpenter's "Dark Star".

Karl_Ramseier posted:

The truth is just somewhere in the middle.
:gary: ---"PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRP!"

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

quote:

Lol no Jobs was a complete asshat from the beginning.
I think of CR as the Walt Disney of this generation.
Before Disneyland opened there was people who referred to it as "Walt's Folly"

CR confirmed for anti-semite

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
lol looks like someone is mad about new people joining for a non existent game.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

G0RF posted:

Aren't travel expenses for business trips tax deductible? If it's really no big deal, why would she even get defensive about it?

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
parp

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Ash1138 posted:

Aren't travel expenses for business trips tax deductible? If it's really no big deal, why would she even get defensive about it?
She was concerned with the public image issue that would arise from perceptions that she chose to upgrade and enjoy the more expensive and luxurious seats in Business Class and First Class. This particular issue-- of reckless misuse of funds to afford luxurious indulgence-- is one that she's grown more eager to avoid, in the face of accusations of CIG-subsidized Porsche leases and rental property in Pacific Palisades...

(Oh, and $20K expresso machines for the Santa Monica office.)

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

I never thought of the comparison, but besides the fact that Apple is actually a large, successful company that makes actual products, it's pretty apt.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Kakarot posted:

lol looks like someone is mad about new people joining for a non existent game.

Wow, that was fast. I always thought getting an av would be harder than this.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kavros posted:

I'd like to hear more about both of these individual things.

Ascendant Pictures (Roberts' movie production company) was producing a comedy and allegedly had an oral agreement with Kevin Costner to play the lead, and when the company ran into money problems, they claimed there was never an agreement and Costner was full of poo poo. The movie was never made. I don't know what came of the lawsuit Costner filed against Ascendant.

As for the Microsoft thing, Digital Anvil ran out of money during the production of Freelancer because Roberts couldn't manage the scope creep (he basically wanted the whole persistent universe thing promised with Star Citizen and tried developing it fifteen years ago), and he had to sell the entire company to Microsoft in order to keep the doors open. (The complete and utter failure of the Wing Commander movie didn't help Digital Anvil's finances.) Microsoft assigned a producer to the project, who quickly realized that Roberts' vision was complete fantasy and began ordering cuts to features so that the goddamn thing could finally get out the door, and Roberts walked with his buyout money rather than have to answer to THE EVIL PUBLISHER.

And that's Roberts' MO -- he hates being told what to do. You see that in the massive, embarrassing letter he wrote in response to Smart and the criticism, saying that EA had approached him multiple times about rebooting Wing Commander and he always turned them down because he'd never work for a publisher again, despite the fact that it's known the game began life as an unlicensed reboot, all the early concept art was just slightly updated Wing Commander designs right down to having the artists sketch out loving Kilrathi, the announcement video for the fundraiser was Wing Commander down to the point of using the WC3 uniforms, and ex-CIG employees have said that in the early days of the Kickstarter / campaign Roberts was still talking to EA about getting the license once the money started flying in from every side.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Steve Jobs is the one out of a billion "idea men" that are successful without having someone else reign in their crazy nonsense ideas. Chris Roberts is no Steve Jobs. Chris Roberts' ideas rain down on his own projects like destructive meteors.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

Ascendant Pictures (Roberts' movie production company) was producing a comedy and allegedly had an oral agreement with Kevin Costner to play the lead, and when the company ran into money problems, they claimed there was never an agreement and Costner was full of poo poo. The movie was never made. I don't know what came of the lawsuit Costner filed against Ascendant.

Costner sued them and ran Croberts out of Hollywood. He had to sell Ascendant, etc. This was all gone over in the past few threads but I don't blame you if you never caught it. I usually just skip ahead if I'm behind more than 100 posts.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
It's too bad that movie was never made because I'm sure it would have been very very good.

Dirty Hairy
Oct 18, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

XK posted:

Steve Jobs is the one out of a billion "idea men" that are successful without having someone else reign in their crazy nonsense ideas. Chris Roberts is no Steve Jobs. Chris Roberts' ideas rain down on his own projects like destructive meteors.

Dapper Dan linked a post on page 3 regarding David Jennison's resignation letter, which is pretty telling:

quote:

So the one thing that no one discusses is the biggest problem. Roberts is someone who on a company- wide level is always feared, but never respected. His direction is met with nervous compliance to his face, and rolled-eyed resentment behind his back. When his orders are articulated later to the rest of the team, and basic questions of logic and practicality are inevitable asked, they are met not with an explanation of why CR’s idea is a good one, but the importance of his happiness. The explanation is always the same- “I know it makes no sense, but that’s what CR wants”. This team is filled with people who have experience publishing other titles. Lots. We all know how it is “supposed” to be done. But everyone is faced with the same repeated dilemma, a choice- make CR happy or do what works for the game? Short term survival vs long term wins. And unfortunately it’s the survival option that wins out, mainly because turning away from a directive of CR is a recipe for unemployment.

I've worked for people like that before. It's not fun. Do it long enough, and you start to rethink about bad life and career choices.

Original post: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post451912031

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
And from an anon Austin dev earlier in October:

quote:

Pros
Pay checks don't bounce.....at least so far. Smart people in the development ranks. Some really smart people. Love working with those who have passion.

Cons
Complete and Total Financial mismanagement. The rumors within the company are rampant. Many fear they will lose their job in weeks. Communication is poor. Development is stunted, reprioritized and ridiculed

Advice to Management
CEO needs to go....Cannot believe how abusive senior management is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Omi-Polari posted:

And from an anon Austin dev earlier in October:
Funny those Austinites seem miserable while the recent reviews of Santa Monica folk(s) seem so chipper. Wonder why that would be?

• Locked thread