Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

G0RF posted:

She was concerned with the public image issue that would arise from perceptions that she chose to upgrade and enjoy the more expensive and luxurious seats in Business Class and First Class. This particular issue-- of reckless misuse of funds to afford luxurious indulgence-- is one that she's grown more eager to avoid, in the face of accusations of CIG-subsidized Porsche leases and rental property in Pacific Palisades...

(Oh, and $20K expresso machines for the Santa Monica office.)
Exactly. It's a touchy subject because it's true. They don't deny that the money's gone because it is gone.

Except the money that's back in my wallet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VGlHNPX-Bs

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Porsche = the douchiest of all luxury brand cars.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

:effort:

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Chris Parpberts.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

quote:

The truth is just somewhere in the middle.

Problem is that truth is more a median than an average, it skews toward one answer regardless.

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
I watched the FPS demo for Star Citizen from last year at PAX, is that actual game play? Did that whole project get canned?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Roshambo posted:

I watched the FPS demo for Star Citizen from last year at PAX, is that actual game play? Did that whole project get canned?

Likely, and yes. They ditched everything Illfonic did for them.

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Karl_Ramseier posted:

He is a human being desperately seeking attention. The traction his missives got is already over and now he plays the jester for you guys until you have enough of him. And with every sentence he writes he is digging his grave regarding any legal action. But according to AP there is no lawsuit, so what it is this all about?

Show me on this .jpeg where Mr. Smart touched you.

Karl_Ramseier
Aug 21, 2015

I don't have to work very hard at being an asshole. It comes naturally.

No practice needed.

Since Goons ruin everything, I'm pretending to be a Goon for Halloween!

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Derek predicted they were closing down the Austin studio. CIG denied it. Turns out they were.

Derek predicted they were cancelling the FPS module. CIG denied it. Turns out they were.

The FPS module isn't cancelled it's delayed and the office (not the real estate) isn't closing. The former was discussed before Derek even thought of it and the latter is just exaggerating.
The restructuring process under Erin is a good thing. Companies, especially young ones can undergo a restructuring each year depending on the business, market situation etc.
They are hiring more staff all together and they are trying to reduce costs, no sogns of a financially troubled company.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

CIG have been lying about release dates all year, when they've known otherwise.

Yes, exactly what I wrote, their PR/community management is poo poo.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

They refuse to offer even a basic breakdown (no details, just basics) of how money is being spent, which would summarily destroy Smart's initiative.

Smart's initiative is already over. The financial impact is close to zero. Even with 10.000 people demanding a refund they lost maybe 1kk. (Given the round about 100$ per backer) and they surely lost a big bunch of their biggest critics.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Their behavior isn't just poor PR marketing. It is shady and on occasion deceptive.

You're exaggerating. But that's what happens if you are discussing in a circle jerk.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I would never trust Derek Smart on his word alone, but so far Smart has been making claims and CIG has been making responses that later turn out to be lies. It only goes one way. Not the other way.

Go and check his claims, if you even find them. He is big in deleting old stuff. And you're cherrypicking what suits you most. That's ok I won't change your opinion you won't change mine. And everyone here, including Smart, won't have a remarkable impact on the project.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Next up, Karl tells us Santa is actually real.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014
Can someone please point me to any formal posts / discussions justifying / disclosing that Sandi Gardiner has a role in SQ42?
Does she have any talent in acting? Do we have any clips?
Is she being paid what the others are or is she acting for her current wage to help cut costs for SC? If she was paid, did she renounce her salary she pays herself currently? Or did she do DOUBLE work and get both?
Are there any rumblings about this in the brown sea or have I missed it? (Or did the thread get locked, the poster banned or the post sent to oblivion in the concern thread?).

Edit : Oh - And did CIG bother to say that she was going to be acting / we were backing to kickstart her acting career at any point or was that part of the "suprise" and the Chairman's vision?
Pay analysis of what she likely got for her last gig vs. the lowest paid actor in the cast would make for interesting reading. If this is legit, it should have been disclosed and explained to backers. This just seems ridiculously self-indulgent. Her name was also left off somewhere, but now its in?

Edit 2 - Karl - Go sell all your assets. How much are you in for? A heavy investment impairs judgement. Then start listening and looking a bit more closely. Notice the gaps and silences in the official dialogues we are given. Look at the community and how they deal with criticism. Ask yourself whether you have ever known a work project to go smoothly. Ask yourself if we deserve to know what is actually happening. Then ask yourself if that is what we have gotten. Separate Derek and Star Citizen criticism in your mind. Have a coffee. Now try again.

Jethro_E7 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 1, 2015

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Karl, you seem like a measured, mentally stable guy.. How do you predict the game will be when it's released?

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

Next up, Karl tells us Santa is actually real.

You mean Santas not real???

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Even with 10.000 people demanding a refund they lost maybe 1kk.

oh look, some poo poo I haven't seen since I used to play lineage 2 in middle school.

are you in middle school?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Amun Khonsu posted:

You mean Santas not real???
Probably more real than Star Citizen is right now.

The face of many an SC backer when eventually CIG folds.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Jethro_E7 posted:

Can someone please point me to any formal posts / discussions justifying / disclosing that Sandi Gardiner has a role in SQ42?
Does she have any talent in acting? Do we have any clips?
Is she being paid what the others are or is she acting for her current wage to help cut costs for SC? If she was paid, did she renounce her salary she pays herself currently? Or did she do DOUBLE work and get both?
Are there any rumblings about this in the brown sea or have I missed it? (Or did the thread get locked, the poster banned or the post sent to oblivion in the concern thread?).

Think DS made an issue out of her double dipping.

The Roberts family is making out bigtime on this. CR is taking fat salary as CEO and taking over project manager and othe roles previously hired out to others. Sandi is VP of Marketing, ATV host and SQ42 actress and has her fingers in HR and CS.

Then Erin doing his thing but I think most ppl think Erin is worth his weight and paygrase

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jethro_E7 posted:

Does she desperately and more than anything wants to be in acting?

Yes

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

TTerrible posted:

Only goons deal in absolutes.

I too like complex and diverse narratives that involve shades of grey like my mature adult stories to illuminate my boring suburban life as i poop allover this post and thread

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Karl_Ramseier posted:

The FPS module isn't cancelled it's delayed and the office (not the real estate) isn't closing. The former was discussed before Derek even thought of it and the latter is just exaggerating.
The restructuring process under Erin is a good thing. Companies, especially young ones can undergo a restructuring each year depending on the business, market situation etc.
They are hiring more staff all together and they are trying to reduce costs, no sogns of a financially troubled company.

Didn't the entire design team walk out?

That's not really "restructuring"

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Amun Khonsu posted:

Sandi is VP of Marketing, ATV host and SQ42 actress
The most hilarious part of the SQ42 casting is that she's billed before people who, you know, have an actual career in acting. They've long since stopped trying to hide the obvious nepotism that's going on. If this poo poo was being done by any other studio, say one backed by a publisher, there'd be howling from Reddit so loud you'd hear it out in space.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

When you realize Star Citizen isn't going to fill whatever void you have it is my hope that you gain some wisdom because lmao your desperation is pretttttyy obvious.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Karl_Ramseier posted:

And everyone here, including Smart, won't have a remarkable impact on the project.

if it's not remarkable why are you here remarking on it

also if anyone ever reaches a point where they are so invested in the development of a video game that they feel the need to pay :10bux: to post on a comedy forum about how everyone who is laughing is wrong and a multimillion dollar corporation should be left alone, that person should really really really reexamine their priorities. HTH

also this is a bad shitpost because it was kind of serious, but my shitposting star lead me here so I'm going to see where I end up with this

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Rudager posted:

Didn't the entire design team walk out?

That's not really "restructuring"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Nc88_ZEfxg&feature=youtu.be&t=23s

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Nov 1, 2015

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

The most hilarious part of the SQ42 casting is that she's billed before people who, you know, have an actual career in acting. They've long since stopped trying to hide the obvious nepotism that's going on. If this poo poo was being done by any other studio, say one backed by a publisher, there'd be howling from Reddit so loud you'd hear it out in space.

Agreed. Is just as hillarious that ppl still refuse to see it soley on the basis that DS called it out, even though the Roberts family now admit to it

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Guys, I got here as fast as I could, did I miss the puppet master defense? It didn't happen last time but I heard it was a dead cert this time.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Karl_Ramseier posted:

And everyone here, including Smart, won't have a remarkable impact on the project.
If that's the case, why did your lord and savior Croberts write in his rant that Smart and the Escapist could do real damage to the Star Citizen project? Even your own hero contradicts you.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Karl_Ramseier posted:

That's ok I won't change your opinion you won't change mine.

also one last thing, we don't have opinions on star citizen. we have PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP jpegs and pube jokes. you're the one with an opinion on star citizen.

the difference is that our things are about things that exist and your thing is about :gary: :gary: :gary: :gary:

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

CrazyTolradi posted:

This really annoys me.

Did she audition? What was the process? "Hey Erin, decide if my wife is good enough"? "Hi Erin, hey, put Sandi in there somehow" or "Hey Erin, Sandi's going to be xyz - make it work!".

Nepotism and conflicts of interest more than anything else drives me up the wall. It poisons whatever it is part of and chokes the life out of anything good that is still there. It demoralises. It invites the misuse of office. Then there's the preferential treatment, and special patronage that works as a shield to hide and prevent proper criticism and work flow. The many hats basically means that she's not 2ic and the first rule of working there remains what it is - Don't upset Sandi. It undermines faith in a project and makes things look like a family business run not for the backers. Did I mention its bad for morale? Everytime there is a raise or promotions it causes more problems - though with Sandi already riding high, I guess there isn't much left to take. Nepotism and its cousin, hiring friends, are the leading methods of keeping other ethnic and racial groups out (except the obligatory black sports reporter and rapper friends which appear to be paraded around recently). Nepotism also exacerbates beneath the surface problems and breeds a culture of "loyalty" and special family secrecy.

Ugh.

The silence on the RSI forums is deafening.

Jethro_E7 fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 1, 2015

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Karl_Ramseier posted:

no sogns of a financially troubled company.

They are taking weeks to do refunds and are splitting the refund amounts between paypal and credit cards. There are also some people who are getting refunded by an unrelated movie company.

No signs of financial trouble at all! :v:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Go and check his claims, if you even find them. He is big in deleting old stuff. And you're cherrypicking what suits you most. That's ok I won't change your opinion you won't change mine. And everyone here, including Smart, won't have a remarkable impact on the project.

Speaking of cherrypicking.

Jethro_E7 posted:

Nepotism and its cousin, hiring friends, are the leading methods of keeping other ethnic and racial groups out (except the obligatory black sports reporter and rapper friends which appear to be paraded around recently). Nepotism also exacerbates beneath the surface problems and breeds a culture of "loyalty" and special family secrecy.

"cronyism".

Sillybones fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 1, 2015

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

If that's the case, why did your lord and savior Croberts write in his rant that Smart and the Escapist could do real damage to the Star Citizen project? Even your own hero contradicts you.

That rant and attempt at character assassination by his holiness Christ Roberts, the subsequent letter by Ortwin, the following forum purge of dissent and goons and the sudden firings and walkouts was a clear indication that they felt deeply threatened by the exposed news (much of which turned out to be true) by the Escapist. It was not only the biggest PR blunder in the history of gaming (imo) but very telling of where the truth lies among the falsehoods. Dont forget taht in every refund request, they ask the account holder what article or who may have influenced their decision for a refund. So yeah, they see Derek Smart accusations as very damaging to the project. :jihad:

Amun Khonsu fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 1, 2015

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
My opinion on Star Citizen is

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Kegslayer posted:

They are taking weeks to do refunds and are splitting the refund amounts between paypal and credit cards. There are also some people who are getting refunded by an unrelated movie company.

No signs of financial trouble at all! :v:

Im just staking my claim now in the prediction that CR will cash out with a sale to a publisher.

As it stands I dont think they can successfully get investors or a bank loan to complete the project given their financial and project management history, and since they do not have an working business plan implemented after blowing through $90 Million.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This game is going to be amaaaaaaaaaaziiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing. I hear you can walk around in hangars and do boring dogfights. I just paid 12.000 dollars for this

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
Brb flying my Sidewinder to Gune space.

Phil Burn
Oct 28, 2015

What is life all about?

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It's too bad that movie was never made because I'm sure it would have been very very good.

http://www.movieinsider.com/m1100/taming-ben-taylor/

"In Long Island, a vineyard owner, who longs for love, becomes interested in an attractive and steely real estate agent who is trying to persuade the man to sell his property to make way for a golf course."

http://www.dailynews.com/article/zz/20080305/NEWS/803059903

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Amun Khonsu posted:

Im just staking my claim now in the prediction that CR will cash out with a sale to a publisher.

As it stands I dont think they can successfully get investors or a bank loan to complete the project given their financial and project management history, and since they do not have an working business plan implemented after blowing through $90 Million.

The issue with this is that, for the time and money so far, they don't really have a lot to sell. They've reworked, scrapped and delayed so much that there's just hardly anything of the "finished" product they can actually take to showcase to a publisher. Given the majority of potential buyers have already bought into the game, there's not really a big market post release that CIG can say they'll have, which means any publisher who buys CIG out won't be able to recoup much from the final product and is going to have to spend a drat lot more to actually get it to release. And even aside from those points, it's not like it's even an established or distinct IP either, it's pretty much just cookie cutter space opera. All CIG have to sell is one huge gaping money pit, and no one is interested.

Assuming if the best case scenario of a publisher buyout even does happen, by the time it gets to a state where it can be released, the niche will have been filled by titles like Elite, Rebel Galaxy and the like.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Skoll posted:

My opinion on Star Citizen is

Brt bb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

CrazyTolradi posted:

The issue with this is that, for the time and money so far, they don't really have a lot to sell. They've reworked, scrapped and delayed so much that there's just hardly anything of the "finished" product they can actually take to showcase to a publisher. Given the majority of potential buyers have already bought into the game, there's not really a big market post release that CIG can say they'll have, which means any publisher who buys CIG out won't be able to recoup much from the final product and is going to have to spend a drat lot more to actually get it to release. And even aside from those points, it's not like it's even an established or distinct IP either, it's pretty much just cookie cutter space opera. All CIG have to sell is one huge gaping money pit, and no one is interested.

Assuming if the best case scenario of a publisher buyout even does happen, by the time it gets to a state where it can be released, the niche will have been filled by titles like Elite, Rebel Galaxy and the like.

That makes sense, I can see this too. You could be right. If they dont complete some major assets, the only thing going for it would be that its a Wing Commander reboot. However, given the huge money pit to finish in development and the over saturation of investing pledge backers, it may not be an appealing buyout.

• Locked thread