Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

fuctifino posted:

Has anything been mentioned about those four (?) alien languages that he promised?

I'm sure he said that professional linguists were going to be creating the languages from scratch. It was a something-million-stretch goal I think.

e: :gary:PAAAAAARRRRPPPP!
Hehe yea forgot about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I'd pay 5 bucks for that mini-kart game.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
So Happy Halloween.

I had Stormtroopers mixing one stage at the party.

Hope yall had a rad time too.

I am currently smoking weed in my house. It's been a rad night.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Karl_Ramseier is like an insane internet Robin hood defending honour of Richard I, only like in real life Richard is an egomaniac, who spends his subjects money on his personal passion (the Crusade) and doesn't deliver any solid results on that front either, while his brother has to be in charge and deal with poo poo. Richard also had an Australian wife who pretended to be American for some reason.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Jethro_E7 posted:

Edit 2 - Karl - Go sell all your assets. How much are you in for? A heavy investment impairs judgement.

His RSI profile lists him as a "Space Marshal" on the Bridge to Total Freedom , so somewhere between $5-10K.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Paladinus posted:

Karl_Ramseier is like an insane internet Robin hood defending honour of Richard I, only like in real life Richard is an egomaniac, who spends his subjects money on his personal passion (the Crusade) and doesn't deliver any solid results on that front either, while his brother has to be in charge and deal with poo poo. Richard also had an Australian wife who pretended to be American for some reason.

except Robin Hood took from the rich and gave to the poor. Its the opposite in this case. ffs some people are going without food to save up for a JPEG

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

NOnonononononononononolnononononononononononononononono. Why did I google sc bible. whywhywhywhy.

Crap. All of you should suffer too.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46095085/The%20BIG%20Star%20Citizen%20Admirer%27s%20Manual.pdf

Shitizens sure are productive when they don't have a game to play.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Paladinus posted:

Richard also had an Australian wife who pretended to be American an actress for some reason.

:mmmhmm:

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

AP posted:

His RSI profile lists him as a "Space Marshal" on the Bridge to Total Freedom , so somewhere between $5-10K.

:cry:

Karl - I used to be a Grand Admiral.
The "used to be" is the redeeming part.
Think about many of the people you trusted to deliver the project. Where are they? How many are gone? Why did they go? Do you really believe there is smoke without fire?
What happened to dissent? The promises to engage with "concerns"? They got shunted to a "concern forum" that barely made it into "Star Citizen" at all. When was the last time devs responded to ANYTHING in there?

We are 90 million+ in, and still no FPS delivery and no admission of a mega botchup SOMEWHERE. You think they are being entirely honest with us? Remember promises of being shown things "as they actually were"?
Remember the "We won't take any funds until SC is delivered" statement from CR? Do you believe they are taking a wage? Do you believe this?
Still no real way of explaining how the economy will work, mudflation will be handled? Do you think they are really thinking ahead enough, or bumbling, imperfectly through a one-man decision making funnel called Chris?
When exactly do you believe the PU will ever be delivered? Still ships are being released on concept and still people are being milked more.
Change of terms of service on the sly? Rewriting hundreds of lines without proper notification? Official silences on embarrassing yet crucial questions?

Wake up.

Karl, you too can set yourself free. (Unless you bought an ungiftable mega pack of course.)
In which case, you might still be able to cash out at 80%.
No game is worth that much. You hear that tiny voice in your head saying "you spent too much"? The voice is right. Listen to it now. You'll thank us.

Jethro_E7 fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 1, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Amun Khonsu posted:

Think DS made an issue out of her double dipping.

The Roberts family is making out bigtime on this. CR is taking fat salary as CEO and taking over project manager and othe roles previously hired out to others. Sandi is VP of Marketing, ATV host and SQ42 actress and has her fingers in HR and CS.

Then Erin doing his thing but I think most ppl think Erin is worth his weight and paygrase

Soon they'll be doing Citizenthons.

Jethro_E7 posted:

What range of money are we talking about here? :ohdear:

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 1, 2015

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Jethro_E7 posted:

The "used to be" is the redeeming part.
Think about many of the people you trusted to deliver the project. Where are they? How many are gone? Why did they go? Do you really believe there is smoke without fire?
What happened to dissent? The promises to engage with "concerns"? They got shunted to a "concern forum" that barely made it into "Star Citizen" at all. When was the last time devs responded to ANYTHING in there?

We are 90 million+ in, and still no FPS delivery and no admission of a mega botchup SOMEWHERE. You think they are being entirely honest with us? Remember promises of being shown things "as they actually were"?
Remember the "We won't take any funds until SC is delivered" statement from CR? Do you believe they are taking a wage? Do you believe this?
Still no real way of explaining how the economy will work, mudflation will be handled? Do you think they are really thinking ahead enough, or bumbling, imperfectly through a one-man decision making funnel called Chris?
When exactly do you believe the PU will ever be delivered? Still ships are being released on concept and still people are being milked more.
Change of terms of service on the sly? Rewriting hundreds of lines without proper notification? Official silences on embarrassing yet crucial questions?

Wake up.

Karl, you too can set yourself free. (Unless you bought an ungiftable mega pack of course.)
No game is worth that much. You hear that tiny voice in your head saying "you spent too much"? The voice is right. Listen to it now. You'll thank us.

If someone can read the history of Freelancer's development and not immediately see the exact same things happening in SC, and realise that no publisher is going to bail them out like MS did back then, then they're beyond help.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Jethro_E7 posted:

Wake up.

Karl, seriously listen to this guy.

It doesn't mean you're saying the game won't come out or it won't be all you hoped it would be. Get your money out now, then if the game is the glorious success that you expect it to be, take all of that money and put it right back in. They have almost 100 million dollars, they don't need your money specifically so for your own sake get out now. Let the idiots with no risk awareness fund it then if it turns out to be a good game, everyone in this thread will be buying it and you can too. You won't miss out on anything besides the chance that you're going to lose all your money with nothing to show for it.

Get out dude, you're a goon now so it's time to start doing the intelligent thing.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

Get out dude, you're a goon now so it's time to start doing the intelligent thing.

:ironicat:

Cpt Underpants
Nov 19, 2008

Simply Irresistible
Grimey Drawer

Shala posted:

Brt bb.

I have no idea what I'm looking at (other than a spreadsheet in a mostly functional internet spaceship game)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

In this one specific case.

:gary:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
This is going to be a goon in the well isn't it?

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Skoll posted:

Chalks posted:

:ironicat:

Yeah, by the time you paid :10bux: to post in a internet forum you lost the intelligence higher ground.

unless you buy platinum.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Karl_Ramseier posted:

The FPS module isn't cancelled it's delayed and the office (not the real estate) isn't closing. The former was discussed before Derek even thought of it and the latter is just exaggerating.
The restructuring process under Erin is a good thing. Companies, especially young ones can undergo a restructuring each year depending on the business, market situation etc.
They are hiring more staff all together and they are trying to reduce costs, no sogns of a financially troubled company.

Yes, exactly what I wrote, their PR/community management is poo poo.

Smart's initiative is already over. The financial impact is close to zero. Even with 10.000 people demanding a refund they lost maybe 1kk. (Given the round about 100$ per backer) and they surely lost a big bunch of their biggest critics.

You're exaggerating. But that's what happens if you are discussing in a circle jerk.

Go and check his claims, if you even find them. He is big in deleting old stuff. And you're cherrypicking what suits you most. That's ok I won't change your opinion you won't change mine. And everyone here, including Smart, won't have a remarkable impact on the project.

this is a very sad person and they are making me sad

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.
So today is the day right? Today is D-Day. Or D Smart Day. Whatever. They had tell today or something to do something or D Smart was going to do another thing. It's all so hazy now.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Chalks posted:

Karl, seriously listen to this guy.

It doesn't mean you're saying the game won't come out or it won't be all you hoped it would be. Get your money out now, then if the game is the glorious success that you expect it to be, take all of that money and put it right back in. They have almost 100 million dollars, they don't need your money specifically so for your own sake get out now. Let the idiots with no risk awareness fund it then if it turns out to be a good game, everyone in this thread will be buying it and you can too. You won't miss out on anything besides the chance that you're going to lose all your money with nothing to show for it.

I pretty much said this exact same thing on reddit and was downvoted. They have met their funding goals several times over;
STOP

GIVING

THEM

MONEY

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Berious posted:

This is going to be a goon in the well isn't it?

SEVER

e: :gary:

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Guys should I cancel my pip boy edition Fallout 4 and just buy it on steam? I don't really need more physical poo poo in my life.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Timby posted:

And that's Roberts' MO -- he hates being told what to do. You see that in the massive, embarrassing letter he wrote in response to Smart and the criticism, saying that EA had approached him multiple times about rebooting Wing Commander and he always turned them down because he'd never work for a publisher again.
This mindset is something that's come out of the Origin Systems.
Roberts was a coding hotshot who moved from the UK and was hired by Garriott to work at Origin. Having a bit of cheek he talked Garriott into letting him create his game concept called "Squadron" which basically was a sci-fi take on Battlehawks - the US/Japan pacific theater in space with wrathful cats and borrowing off Niven and other sci-fi plots of the day.

At Origin he was given freedom to sink time and effort into this game and this was not cheap.
In 1990 a typical big game budget was around $100,000 to $200,000 - Wing Commander allegedly cost $1,000,000.
Origin insiders allude to some creative accounting to hide that fact from Roberts - but despite the success of WC and Ultima - it wasn't enough to save Origin's coffers and EA moved in to acquire in 1992. Only because of the addons and voice packs did Wing Commander 1 break even.

Some say that Robert's pushing the envelope for production funds on a game really ruined the game industry - it meant a massive risk could equal a reward and people began investing heavily into quality over quantity as it began the push of the industry into hit-machine mode and publishers started focusing on sure-fire successes over taking a risk.

With EA Roberts gets lucky again as the FMV fad kicks into full drive and his dream of creating movies becomes apparent through Wing Commander 3 and 4 - a record investment for EA who only funds WC IV on the provision that it would be done in twelve months.

That also hit EA hard - by 1996 the space sim genre had been slowing down and 12 million isn't an easy thing to magically recoup. The RTS genre is the new big-thing and people are adopting mice and keyboard over the venerable joystick.

The aftermath of WC's cash crater almost scuppered Garriott's plans for Ultima Online in which he had to beg for $200,000 or so to develop a proof of concept that basically was hacking in multiplayer into Black Isle. MMO's back then were a high risk concept and it wasn't until thousands of people started paying $2 for beta CDs then EA realized they had a hit on their hands and a way to start recovering costs.

But where Garriot had gotten his rewards Roberts was being kept at arms length over the possibility of a Privateer or Wing Commander Online. No doubt it was a frightening prospect to many at EA and Roberts saw the writing was on the wall so he went off and founded Digital Anvil to create his dream online space game, believing the technology of 1999 was enough to create his dreams!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Starkk posted:

Guys should I cancel my pip boy edition Fallout 4 and just buy it on steam? I don't really need more physical poo poo in my life.

Had to look it up. Comes with a wearable pipboy you can put your smartphone in. The megaloser in me finds that quite cool though I probably wouldn't have the complete lack of shame to wear it outside the house.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Berious posted:

Had to look it up. Comes with a wearable pipboy you can put your smartphone in. The megaloser in me finds that quite cool though I probably wouldn't have the complete lack of shame to wear it outside the house.

I got caught up in the announcement hype and pre-ordered it within ~3 minutes of it going on sale. I'd never wear it outside either and in all honestly it'll just end up in my closet with other collector edition poo poo.

Welp I think I have my answer. Thanks bro. :gary:

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Where is the bomb shell Derek. Where is it.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I am so keeping an eye on this thread for the next 24 hours

janssendalt
May 7, 2015
this game is coming out
and it's going to be the best

http://savid.technology

janssendalt
May 7, 2015

WebDog posted:

This mindset is something that's come out of the Origin Systems.
Roberts was a coding hotshot who moved from the UK and was hired by Garriott to work at Origin. Having a bit of cheek he talked Garriott into letting him create his game concept called "Squadron" which basically was a sci-fi take on Battlehawks - the US/Japan pacific theater in space with wrathful cats and borrowing off Niven and other sci-fi plots of the day.

At Origin he was given freedom to sink time and effort into this game and this was not cheap.
In 1990 a typical big game budget was around $100,000 to $200,000 - Wing Commander allegedly cost $1,000,000.
Origin insiders allude to some creative accounting to hide that fact from Roberts
- but despite the success of WC and Ultima - it wasn't enough to save Origin's coffers and EA moved in to acquire in 1992. Only because of the addons and voice packs did Wing Commander 1 break even.

Some say that Robert's pushing the envelope for production funds on a game really ruined the game industry - it meant a massive risk could equal a reward and people began investing heavily into quality over quantity as it began the push of the industry into hit-machine mode and publishers started focusing on sure-fire successes over taking a risk.

With EA Roberts gets lucky again as the FMV fad kicks into full drive and his dream of creating movies becomes apparent through Wing Commander 3 and 4 - a record investment for EA who only funds WC IV on the provision that it would be done in twelve months.

That also hit EA hard - by 1996 the space sim genre had been slowing down and 12 million isn't an easy thing to magically recoup. The RTS genre is the new big-thing and people are adopting mice and keyboard over the venerable joystick.

The aftermath of WC's cash crater almost scuppered Garriott's plans for Ultima Online in which he had to beg for $200,000 or so to develop a proof of concept that basically was hacking in multiplayer into Black Isle. MMO's back then were a high risk concept and it wasn't until thousands of people started paying $2 for beta CDs then EA realized they had a hit on their hands and a way to start recovering costs.

But where Garriot had gotten his rewards Roberts was being kept at arms length over the possibility of a Privateer or Wing Commander Online. No doubt it was a frightening prospect to many at EA and Roberts saw the writing was on the wall so he went off and founded Digital Anvil to create his dream online space game, believing the technology of 1999 was enough to create his dreams!

interesting
any sources to back any of these claims, though?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

janssendalt posted:

this game is coming out
and it's going to be the best

http://savid.technology

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Where is the bomb shell Derek. Where is it.

In the wheelchair.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Paladinus posted:

In the wheelchair.

:gary: :captainpop: :gary:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

janssendalt posted:

interesting
Here are the bits about game budgets and WC's cause and effect.

There's a pretty common pattern that Roberts got handed his wishes on a silver platter and managed to survive purely by being in the right moment at the right time in an industry that was still developing it's feet and publishers were keen to take chances.
By the time 1999 had hit the golden age of risk taking was pretty much on the wane and it was become apparent that big names developers had been uncannily lucky and big failures like Ion Storm only served to prove that lightning doesn't strike twice and publishers saw it wise to not allow one person to head a project without some sort of control.

Cpt Underpants
Nov 19, 2008

Simply Irresistible
Grimey Drawer

janssendalt posted:

interesting

Try :google: or :gary: PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRPP!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
guys i got 500 dollars

should I buy food and clothes for my kid this month or

haha who am i kidding, i just spent it on a videor game spaceship

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Zzulu posted:

guys i got 500 dollars

should I buy food and clothes for my kid this month or

haha who am i kidding, i just spent it on a videor game jpeg

Hey zzulu I fixed that post for you bro, no need to thank me :gary:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

WebDog posted:

Here are the bits about game budgets and WC's cause and effect.

There's a pretty common pattern that Roberts got handed his wishes on a silver platter and managed to survive purely by being in the right moment at the right time in an industry that was still developing it's feet and publishers were keen to take chances.
By the time 1999 had hit the golden age of risk taking was pretty much on the wane and it was become apparent that big names developers had been uncannily lucky and big failures like Ion Storm only served to prove that lightning doesn't strike twice and publishers saw it wise to not allow one person to head a project without some sort of control.

How do you know all this, WebDog? Are you like an amateur historian of video games?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
gee im glad i didnt miss any loving funny yesterday

can we start fracking this well yet?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

One thing I don't understand is why mocap Gary Oldman and then make the model look exactly like Gary Oldman? Are they doing that with all the human characters, making them look like their actors? This way they don't need sets and costumes, but recording mocap looks a lot more complicated and expensive than conventional filming. Costumes and sets probably help actors get into their characters more than everyone wearing a frumpy onesie. Mocapping is good for aliens I guess, but what is the benefit for human characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Berious posted:

It's designed to accompany a smartphone app that basically lets you use the ingame Pipboy menus on your real/fake Pipboy without pausing the game. They explicitly described it as a dumb-but-cool gimmick when announcing it, so it's proooobably not intended for outdoor use unless you're one of those weirdos with homemade Brotherhood of Steel body armour that you take to Comic-Con every year.

• Locked thread