Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
um this is Chris Roberts um goons um and somefing awful um could you um kindly um gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

MVP posted:

um this is Chris Roberts um goons um and somefing awful um could you um kindly um gently caress off

the real chris roberts would have spent 8 hrs fueled by cocaine writing a magnum opus of a post

you are not our lord and savior

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
a few more thisisbullshit.gif s as well

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

Starkk posted:

the real chris roberts would have spent 8 hrs fueled by cocaine writing a magnum opus of a post

you are not our lord and savior

ehm I don't uh do cocaine um where did you get that information? um eh lawsuit

SneakyFrog posted:

a few more thisisbullshit.gif s as well

umehehum um eh

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of lawsuit, has Escapist been brought to space court yet?

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Yeah, about that...

I think they misplaced the court papers.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Yeah, everyone keeps talking about Smart's lawsuits but we're what, over a month past the deadline for Escapist making a full retraction and apology or CIG sues?

They even put their demands publicly up so everyone could see it, and then apparently backed down without making a sound.

Well, aside from :gary:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The dog ate them.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

MeLKoR posted:

Kind of amazing how people still take GIG seriously after the CEO posts an insane ranty diatribe and an internet lawsuit trying to bully a website into a retraction. Then the website says lolnop and we never hear another peep about it.

This is a thing that happened.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yeah, everyone keeps talking about Smart's lawsuits but we're what, over a month past the deadline for Escapist making a full retraction and apology or CIG sues?

They even put their demands publicly up so everyone could see it, and then apparently backed down without making a sound.

Well, aside from :gary:

Maybe it was just a matter of giving Sandi a boost of emotional support during the con so she decided to take the higher road like the classy lady she is and not waste backer money fighting these vile personal attacks by Derek Smart. Since the claim CIG was running out of money was so preposterous that they didn't even bother to ask for a retraction because it's presence in itself discredited the really serious accusations against Sandi there was no other reason to sue.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MeLKoR posted:

Those things are done in private, seeing as trying to fight a fake lawsuit in the open is breathtakingly stupid

:gary:PAAAAAAAAAARPP

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

toanoradian posted:

How do you know all this, WebDog? Are you like an amateur historian of video games?
I suppose so.
It is kinda fun digging through old game magazines or industry reports of yore. Makes a change from the usual :v:
Many interviews back during the 90's are fantastically unguarded with very little PR gloss, especially as the PC market developed you begin to have more overt personalities like the Bitmap Brothers or Romero emerge. One later publication, PCXL is fantastic, as despite being completely juvenile, it's more relaxed approach has some pretty interesting interviews.

There's also some good books that reveal the politics on how games get developed. Strategy guides also occasionally hold some interesting interviews about the making of games. You do have to read between the lines a fair bit as the situation is a bit more complex than "publisher bad - indie dev good."
And no I don't have a house full to the ceiling of magazines, there's the internet for that.

Annoying much of the gold is held behind NDA's and lawsuits.
Romero cannot talk about Diakatana's mess and the same goes for Broussard about DNF. Sadly the same will happen once Star Citizen implodes. Some staffers might talk about how bad things were but you likely won't get much word out of Roberts.

When Digital Anvil went into acquisition he tried his best to gloss it up:
The figure for Digital Anvil's acquisition is undisclosed. Starlancer was brought out for $300,000 in Warthog shares.
A speculative list of major acquisitions from 1991 - 2003 - I'd guess Freelancer might have been around $30 - $50 million with Roberts getting a golden handshake and percent of profits before trying his luck in Hollywood.

quote:

GS: In a time when a developer's freedom is fast becoming scarce, why would you choose to make Digital Anvil a division of the world's largest software company?

CR: It's very difficult to build wildly ambitious games without the financial security of a larger company, especially when their development cycles are so unpredictable. Freelancer was meant to take three years - it will probably be four and a half years by the time it is done. It's very tough for an independent developer to weather that kind of slip, and it's not just Digital Anvil. I believe all A+ games require severe patience and funds - witness Team Fortress 2 and Black & White.

GS: And how will this acquisition benefit the development of the Digital Anvil games?

CR: Whenever something runs later, it needs more funding. Becoming part of Microsoft made this issue less of a problem...
...Security in being part of an ambitious publisher. In-house games always are the favored children [of publishers]. Believe me, I know - this was totally the case with Electronic Arts when I was there on the other side of the fence.

The bottom line is Roberts had all of the resources at his disposal to create a sure-fire successor to Wing Commander that would have been well received - but he let his ambition run off in trying to keep up with modern times. Compare the gamespot interview with that insane rant. In 2000 he can grin and bear it. In 2015 he is so on the ropes that the only thing he can muster is a fearful rant.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

MeLKoR posted:

Maybe it was just a matter of giving Sandi a boost of emotional support during the con so she decided to take the higher road like the classy lady she is and not waste backer money fighting these vile personal attacks by Derek Smart. Since the claim CIG was running out of money was so preposterous that they didn't even bother to ask for a retraction because it's presence in itself discredited the really serious accusations against Sandi there was no other reason to sue.

- a thing someone surely posted somewhere, just without the sarcasm.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Happy TOS Day!

CrazyTolradi posted:

The issue with this is that, for the time and money so far, they don't really have a lot to sell. They've reworked, scrapped and delayed so much that there's just hardly anything of the "finished" product they can actually take to showcase to a publisher. Given the majority of potential buyers have already bought into the game, there's not really a big market post release that CIG can say they'll have, which means any publisher who buys CIG out won't be able to recoup much from the final product and is going to have to spend a drat lot more to actually get it to release. And even aside from those points, it's not like it's even an established or distinct IP either, it's pretty much just cookie cutter space opera. All CIG have to sell is one huge gaping money pit, and no one is interested.

Assuming if the best case scenario of a publisher buyout even does happen, by the time it gets to a state where it can be released, the niche will have been filled by titles like Elite, Rebel Galaxy and the like.

There's also the very real, and very unpleasant risk of any publisher having to take on a huge liability of a incredibly angry and toxic player base. Remember that everything about SC was done on the premise of publishers being evil and unnecessary, that by giving money directly to Chris Roberts you were a patron and enabling an unprecedented level of freedom. Going back on that would essentially be an acknowledgement that the entire thing was a massive lie. The type of people who willingly give tens of thousands of dollars and spend hours defending a dream on the Internet are not likely to take that betrayal in a positive manner. I would be very surprised if someone would see the work CIG has done and think it's worth the exposure of getting sued. Hell even the rumor of Chris shopping SC out to publishers would likely bring out pitchforks.

WebDog posted:

Here are the bits about game budgets and WC's cause and effect.

There's a pretty common pattern that Roberts got handed his wishes on a silver platter and managed to survive purely by being in the right moment at the right time in an industry that was still developing it's feet and publishers were keen to take chances.
By the time 1999 had hit the golden age of risk taking was pretty much on the wane and it was become apparent that big names developers had been uncannily lucky and big failures like Ion Storm only served to prove that lightning doesn't strike twice and publishers saw it wise to not allow one person to head a project without some sort of control.

This is an interesting point, especially since the SC popping up during the golden age of crowdfunding is yet another example of CR getting carte blanche due to being in the right moment at the right time. Had he released something in 2014 like he was supposed to I think it would have been a major turning point in the nature of game development. Unfortunately history repeats itself and CR's obsession with irrelevance, inability to manage a project, and complete lack of self awareness have turned SC from a dream into a nightmare.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Karl_Ramseier posted:

The FPS module isn't cancelled it's delayed and the office (not the real estate) isn't closing. The former was discussed before Derek even thought of it and the latter is just exaggerating.
The restructuring process under Erin is a good thing. Companies, especially young ones can undergo a restructuring each year depending on the business, market situation etc.
They are hiring more staff all together and they are trying to reduce costs, no sogns of a financially troubled company.

Alright Karl, I respect your decision to back Star Citizen and to try and convince us CIG is doing the right things.
I have a serious question I would like you to answer though, and it is a question aside from all the rumors and speculations of money running out issues and other poo poo, let's forget about all that.

What do you think are valid reasons why CIG would move away from Austin and switching to offices in California, a state with apparently higher taxes, higher costs for basically everything and choosing the most expensive part of LA for it? plus furthermore, instead of renting using what probably amounts to of several million dollars to build their own offices/headquarters? (apparently I understodo this wrong about the custom office building + entrance)

It simply makes no sense. Erin and Foundry 42 being in Europe I can understand, not least because of tax benefits. The Crytek guys in Frankfurt because they would not relocate to the US is a no brainer, including green card issues.
But the move form Austin to LA? I do not not see any valid buisness/development reason for it, especially since they don't sell a tangible product for which they need a flagship store. And even of this would be better to have in Austin, a city known for its amount of software companys and prone totherefore see more potential investors/clients from the industry dropping by.
Instead they move away from a town that apparently offers what software developers need as shown by the large number of studios there and into more expensive LA, which as far as I know is not known for the games industry but the movie industry. The one factor I could see, is the mocap studio they use, but that is Serkis's, which is in the UK.

Not matter whether they spend backer money or investor money on this move. I belive it was simply a wrong decision for which there are no reasons known to me that make any financial sense or sense in terms of the project.
It amounts to a waste a lot of money.

I would be interested to hear your opinion to possibly glean insight into reasons that explain this move.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 1, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Happy TOS day

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

plus furthermore, instead of renting using what probably amounts to of several million dollars to build their own offices/headquarters?

I'd be extremely surprised if they built something, they'll still be renting with just internal wall/network changes with some nerdy spaceship stuff tacked on.

Edit still a crazy waste of money but I don't think they are actually pouring concrete anywhere.

AP fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 1, 2015

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

WebDog posted:

Here are the bits about game budgets and WC's cause and effect.

There's a pretty common pattern that Roberts got handed his wishes on a silver platter and managed to survive purely by being in the right moment at the right time in an industry that was still developing it's feet and publishers were keen to take chances.
By the time 1999 had hit the golden age of risk taking was pretty much on the wane and it was become apparent that big names developers had been uncannily lucky and big failures like Ion Storm only served to prove that lightning doesn't strike twice and publishers saw it wise to not allow one person to head a project without some sort of control.

Lol Webdog, have you found your new Buckley? I've missed you and you particular set of skills. (free Webdog)

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
So who do we think is going to keep the faith longest Janssendalt or Karl?

I know Karl has started strong with the whole multiple online personas thing, a rather heavily "investment" and a belief that this thread is a well organised disinformation campaign dance but I wouldn't rule janssendalt out just yet.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Kickstarter has been an interesting equalizer and kick in the face to developers who have realized that publishers do have a use. Double Fine's massive behind the scenes doco on Broken Age is a really revealing insight into how insanely stressful trying to develop a game on the back of goodwill can be.

In other cases it's served as a sobering moment for others, for instance Tom Hall who tried a few times to get something going: namely "Old School RPG" a pitch that basically was buzzwords for an "old school RPG" that relied on his star status had no indication on what kind of story or world the game had.
And later he tried with a spiritual successor to Commander Keen "Worlds of Wander" which was a create-your-own platform game that failed to get going with only $100,000 of it's $400,000 raised.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There's also the very real, and very unpleasant risk of any publisher having to take on a huge liability of a incredibly angry and toxic player base.
Affirming this.

Back with Freelancer press was pretty scarce, we hadn't heard much of the game in several years beyond a few E3 displays here and there. The most news you got was was when it got acquired so Microsoft was able to market the game with a relatively clean slate and using Chris Robert's name as a brand. The WC community ate it up as "booo Microsoft" and sort of coped as it was the same "evil publisher" story as had been with Origin and EA.

You'd have to basically shut down Star Citizen and work out a very cunning PR as you scramble to rework aspects of the game. One way that they'd survive community backlash would be if EA brought out RSI only to announce a reboot of a Wing Commander space sim with Erin Roberts as a main designer and Chris Roberts as some sort of consultant in name only.

Then Star Citizen would continue in the hands of die-hard modders who bring over the design into Freespace 2's engine and manage to make something functional in less than a year.

Dongattack posted:

Lol Webdog, have you found your new Buckley? I've missed you and you particular set of skills. (free Webdog)
All I'm missing is Roberts writing up blog posts about how his family doesn't understand his dreams of being a webcomic artist game developer. There's frustratingly not much meat to be found as he pretty much kept his poo poo together until the Hollywood dream went tits up.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

An interview with Jordan Weisman posted:

One of the reasons that Kickstarter games frequently don't deliver is that creators over-promise. They say they could deliver the moon, but when it's all said and done, all they could really make with their planned funds is a mountain. The reason Harebrained Schemes has been successful on Kickstarter is limiting the scope on their projects to what the studio can handle.

"That's one of the good dynamics in our studio, we do play as checks and balances for each other," said Weisman. "When I laid out 'Here's all the things I want to do with BattleTech,' Mitch and Mike were like, 'Okay, well that's game three in the series. This is in game two. Let's just deal with this stuff in game one.' My hope is the game is embraced and that allows us to continue down the line to explore all the things I really want to do."

"One of the things we've been really careful about is biting off what we can chew. We just shipped Shadowrun: Hong Kong, our third Kickstarter title. That's because we exercise self-restraint. We're not a Bungie or a Valve, we don't have 600 people. On the Shadowrun: Hong Kong Kickstarter, when we hit the $1 million total, fans asked 'What's the next stretch goal?' We came back and said 'There is no more.' We were worried about how they were going to respond to that. They respected that there were limits."

I like Jordan Weisman. He's the antichris: a serial entrepreneur with a ridiculous pedigree of successful projects - including being the creative director for Microsoft Games during much of Freelancer's development and three released kickstarter games. I wonder what he would say about taking over CIG

E: spelling

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 1, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I like how he thinks there are goons who card enough to make a disinformation campaign

The only goons who cared about the game were monetarily involved

Now there are mostly just goons laughing

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Eonwe posted:

I like how he thinks there are goons who card enough to make a disinformation campaign

Why bother to make up poo poo? This blaze is burning bright enough without needing anyone else to add fuel to it.

randomcommoner
Sep 6, 2006
it's a-me

Dongattack posted:

Nothing would make me happier than seeing a croberts loss.jpg come out of this mess, I hope its appropiately priced.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AP posted:

I'd be extremely surprised if they built something, they'll still be renting with just internal wall/network changes with some nerdy spaceship stuff tacked on.

Edit still a crazy waste of money but I don't think they are actually pouring concrete anywhere.

If I remember right that bus didn't even work.

But the game was released, and while it's not great, Firefall isn't terrible either.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

WebDog posted:

Annoying much of the gold is held behind NDA's and lawsuits.
Romero cannot talk about Diakatana's mess and the same goes for Broussard about DNF.
There's been a decent amount said about DNF's development over the years.

From the sounds of things, the version that was shown in that great 2001 E3 trailer was "fully-touchable" (ie. some parts were still rigged together for demo purposes, etc. etc.) in 2002-ish (apparently it looked like it would have been a pretty decent Half-Life 1 clone), when Brossard (and other management?) got fixated on bolting a new Doom 3-style renderer to their existing Unreal 1-based tech that basically required throwing out nearly everything that had been done before that. That's when the rot really set in... The finished game still has Unreal 1 code somewhere in its malformed core.

Hmm... has anyone ever heard about any other games that threw out 90% of their work a few years into development because management started chasing some random whim? :v:

While it's fluffy and probably self-exonerating, Broussard actually talked about DNF fairly briefly in a recent interview about Duke 3D's development:

George Broussard posted:

By the time we got to the point where we were actually making the thing, we ran out of road. We stopped working on in mid 2009 when we shut down. I didn't touch it beyond that and wanted to bury it in the desert but business realities and complications compelled it to ship and from there momentum took over. It shipped in 2011 the first month it physically was able to. The core issue tracks back to changing engines (more than once) and having technical issues that stalled us. I would never switch engines on a large project again. Ever.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord
Happy TOS day TOSSERS.

:gary:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hopper posted:

Alright Karl, I respect your decision to back Star Citizen and to try and convince us CIG is doing the right things.
I have a serious question I would like you to answer though, and it is a question aside from all the rumors and speculations of money running out issues and other poo poo, let's forget about all that.

What do you think are valid reasons why CIG would move away from Austin and switching to offices in California, a state with apparently higher taxes, higher costs for basically everything and choosing the most expensive part of LA for it? plus furthermore, instead of renting using what probably amounts to of several million dollars to build their own offices/headquarters? (apparently I understodo this wrong about the custom office building + entrance)

It simply makes no sense. Erin and Foundry 42 being in Europe I can understand, not least because of tax benefits. The Crytek guys in Frankfurt because they would not relocate to the US is a no brainer, including green card issues.
But the move form Austin to LA? I do not not see any valid buisness/development reason for it, especially since they don't sell a tangible product for which they need a flagship store. And even of this would be better to have in Austin, a city known for its amount of software companys and prone totherefore see more potential investors/clients from the industry dropping by.
Instead they move away from a town that apparently offers what software developers need as shown by the large number of studios there and into more expensive LA, which as far as I know is not known for the games industry but the movie industry. The one factor I could see, is the mocap studio they use, but that is Serkis's, which is in the UK.

Not matter whether they spend backer money or investor money on this move. I belive it was simply a wrong decision for which there are no reasons known to me that make any financial sense or sense in terms of the project.
It amounts to a waste a lot of money.

I would be interested to hear your opinion to possibly glean insight into reasons that explain this move.

Just some quick numbers to see the differences:

Santa Monica and their West Hollywood offices are their most expensive by far, with Austin being about half the price on average, if not even more for Santa Monica

The fact they need $50/sqft office space to make ship jpegs is mind blowing

Just for comparison, a company I know of has office space in the most expensive location in the city, near to $68/sqft.... but their market cap is over $8 billion

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I've missed something, what's happening with TOSes?

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Imagine if the Wing Commander movie was ten hours long and you occasionally had to get out of your seat and walk/drive/fly to a different theatre to keep watching it.

Imagine wanting to do that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

randomcommoner posted:

Nothing would make me happier than seeing a croberts loss.jpg come out of this mess, I hope its appropiately priced.

A Kickstarter is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for gamers to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the gamer than on the developer. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

A Kickstarter is definitely not a joke, and I have no intention of making light of it. And it can be a tough and emotional thing for gamers to go through, speaking from personal experience. And I know that it's often much harder on the gamer than on the developer. However, I also know that it doesn't necessarily turn you into a sad, depressed sack of tears for the rest of your life. People can move past it, and heal.

Although hopefully not before posting a lot about it

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

I've missed something, what's happening with TOSes?

It's now November 2015, the RSI TOS at one time used to refer to "Accordingly, you agree that any unearned portion of the deposit shall not be refundable until and unless RSI has failed to deliver the pledge items and/or the Game to you within 12 months after the estimated delivery date.", the original estimated delivery date was November 2014, so we've now hit the deadline. It also said "In the unlikely event that RSI is not able to deliver the Game and/or the pledge items, RSI agrees to post an audited cost accounting on its website to fully explain the use of the deposits for the Game Cost and the Pledge Item Cost."

Some people think this TOS stuff is important and a gotcha to CIG, I'm not sure the TOS is important at all to individual backers as if something even looks like it could come to court it makes much more sense of CIG to just fully refund the backer who's unhappy. But if Derek Smart is trying to get access to the books maybe the "audited cost" part helps him.

They do refund people and that's happened since Derek got involved, so that's a change, everything else is guesswork as to what he's really going to do (if anything).

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

please source your quote

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

AP posted:

It's now November 2015, the RSI TOS at one time used to refer to "Accordingly, you agree that any unearned portion of the deposit shall not be refundable until and unless RSI has failed to deliver the pledge items and/or the Game to you within 12 months after the estimated delivery date.", the original estimated delivery date was November 2014, so we've now hit the deadline. It also said "In the unlikely event that RSI is not able to deliver the Game and/or the pledge items, RSI agrees to post an audited cost accounting on its website to fully explain the use of the deposits for the Game Cost and the Pledge Item Cost."

Some people think this TOS stuff is important and a gotcha to CIG, I'm not sure the TOS is important at all to individual backers as if something even looks like it could come to court it makes much more sense of CIG to just fully refund the backer who's unhappy. But if Derek Smart is trying to get access to the books maybe the "audited cost" part helps him.

They do refund people and that's happened since Derek got involved, so that's a change, everything else is guesswork as to what he's really going to do (if anything).

They will simply say 'November is a whole month guys, don't panic yet! Also get ready for our ship sale this month, we think this new jpeg is really something special. Hand crafted by the finest jpeg artisans this side of the neutral zone HAHahahaha'

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Sappo569 posted:

please source your quote

http://www.cad-comic.com/cad/20080602 ctrl+f "heal"

Sorry, other bear avatar. I have to explain your joke

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AP posted:

I don't expect anything to happen, I just think it's funny that it's even a possibility.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Phil Burn posted:

http://www.movieinsider.com/m1100/taming-ben-taylor/

"In Long Island, a vineyard owner, who longs for love, becomes interested in an attractive and steely real estate agent who is trying to persuade the man to sell his property to make way for a golf course."

http://www.dailynews.com/article/zz/20080305/NEWS/803059903

There is a 100% chance that this was pitched as "Sideways but with Kevin Costner"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Sappo569 posted:

They will simply say 'November is a whole month guys, don't panic yet! Also get ready for our ship sale this month, we think this new jpeg is really something special. Hand crafted by the finest jpeg artisans this side of the neutral zone HAHahahaha'

Personally I think Derek Smart just blocked the normal escape routes in the event of a failure. He made it personal by targeting Chris, Sandi & Ortwin because :lesnick: said something stupid about him on a lovely forum.

Nobody really was going to care about yet another game that failed to deliver, the only reason it's even an issue is that Star Citizen has broken all kinds of records and the money at risk is from individuals instead of investors/publishers. Now after all the drama people will care, they'll want to see who in the end won between Derek Smart versus Chris & Sandi, their names are now forever associated to however this turns out, whereas before with all the separate companies involved it would have been a lot easier to slip away in all the confusion.

Assuming failure, the curious will wonder how much was spent on offices in various locations, what tax breaks were involved, how and why the money was moved around the 7+ companies, who was on what salary, what qualifications people really had, how certain movies were paid for, who went unshaved etc

The legal stuff might never happen as the answer to "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?" so far has always been "actually Mr Smart, upon reflection, no I don't".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:gary: Happy TOS Day!

• Locked thread