Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This entire thing relies on people thinking its actually going to come out, if even one bit of verifiable information comes out that they are in deep poo poo the whole thing just collapses. 300 people will lose their jobs, sandi will have to find another means of adding more poo poo to her resume and chris roberts will never be able to work on a video game again (again)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Personally, I thank Derek Smart. He's really been pushing hard to promote Star Citizen this year and I think he's really brought the project to a lot of new backers.
We should congratulate him on his hard work paying off in spades!

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Daztek posted:

Personally, I thank Derek Smart. He's really been pushing hard to promote Star Citizen this year and I think he's really brought the project to a lot of new backers.
We should congratulate him on his hard work paying off in spades!

Welcome friend!

How much have you invested in the 'Verse?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
IANAL so I don't understand the significance of "the letter wasn't signed". Is the argument that D_Smart stole stationary from a lawyer's office or is otherwise impersonating a lawyer? Wouldn't that blow up immediately as soon as the letter was posted online?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Welcome friend!

How much have you invested in the 'Verse?

I started as a backer for a "Digital Mercenary" pledge with an Aurora MR. I didn't even realize what concierge means till I got the Completionist forum rank.
I sold a bunch of ships when my wife asked "where's all the money gone." and we needed to move and I had to repair the car. But my fleet still is worth $8k.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mirificus posted:

AP posted:

So who do we think is going to keep the faith longest Janssendalt or Karl?

I know Karl has started strong with the whole multiple online personas thing, a rather heavily "investment" and a belief that this thread is a well organised disinformation campaign dance but I wouldn't rule janssendalt out just yet.
Don't forget about Octopode.

Octopode will be the first.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Hi.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Daztek posted:

I started as a backer for a "Digital Mercenary" pledge with an Aurora MR. I didn't even realize what concierge means till I got the Completionist forum rank.
I sold a bunch of ships when my wife asked "where's all the money gone." and we needed to move and I had to repair the car. But my fleet still is worth $8k.

Noway

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Daztek posted:

I am sorry for your loss.

alternatively: source your quotes...?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I am sorry for your loss.

alternatively: source your quotes...?

First is from here.

Second is from here, I fear for these people.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
So when some spouse starts divorce proceedings on finding out their partner has dropped tens of thousands on spaceship jpegs, how will the courts handle that division of assets?

Wait, is it that the cultist will give up their house/car/dog rather than ask for a refund?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Derek, this better be a good blog post for once or I'll be mad you haven't accomplished anything since the day your kid was conceived.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

we needed to move and I had to repair the car. But my fleet still is worth $8k.

And they say Star Citizen never hurt anyone

:gary:

E:whoa

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Daztek posted:

Second is from here, I fear for these people.

jesus christ.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

so are they releasing a patch mostly fixing hilarious bugs and calling it alpha 2.whoa

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

MVP posted:

Why is Sandi not a good actress?

https://vimeo.com/49705991
:mediocre:

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Ragequit posted:

Derek, this better be a good blog post for once or I'll be mad you haven't accomplished anything since the day your kid was conceived.

To be fair, there is always the chance of IVF or immaculate conception.
Neither has been ruled out from proceedings so the record may yet stand.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

PST posted:

So when some spouse starts divorce proceedings on finding out their partner has dropped tens of thousands on spaceship jpegs, how will the courts handle that division of assets?

Wait, is it that the cultist will give up their house/car/dog rather than ask for a refund?

just like King Solomon, crop the jpeg in half

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Darkpriest667 posted:

Let me play Devils advocate for a moment in answering your question.

Maybe they refunded the investor because they have the finances that they don't need that capital.

Now let's get back to reality. They refunded her/him so they don't have to show the financials.

The latter. The last thing they want is legal action brought about by an investor or even an investor that's making noise which would lead to financial disclosure and all that.

Note also that they went on the record as saying that they had bought out some early investors some years back. And that when they offered the buyout to said investors when they no longer needed the investment. Some investors took the money and got out, while others opted to stay in. We don't know yet how many remain; but that's the sort of thing that comes out in legal disclosures.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MVP posted:

Sandi's best scene, camera work is phenomenal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5ngauotEWM

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/welcome-to-the-jungle/at-the-beach/

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Here's the thing though legally all they have to do is release something playable it doesn't matter if it's a steaming load of crap. They already have the money. They can bring in all the shiny art assets to show that they tried.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

IANAL so I don't understand the significance of "the letter wasn't signed". Is the argument that D_Smart stole stationary from a lawyer's office or is otherwise impersonating a lawyer? Wouldn't that blow up immediately as soon as the letter was posted online?

It's the usual bullshit. Most attorneys dictate letters (e.g. most use Nuance). I got the final draft which is what I posted online. Obviously the copy that actually gets sent to the recipient is signed.

They're idiots arguing about bullshit as usual and throwing up deflection.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 1, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

That's all kinds of messed up.

:gary:

Please - please - stick around for the end game because making fun of fools being separated from their money for buying JPEGs of ships for a vaporware game, never gets old. Ever.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Incombibulator posted:

To be fair, there is always the chance of IVF or immaculate conception.
Neither has been ruled out from proceedings so the record may yet stand.

Very true. Albeit small, the poor guy just needs a single win from the last 15 years. Guess we'll find out in a few days.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Daztek posted:

Lmbo god bless reddit.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Amarcarts posted:

Here's the thing though legally all they have to do is release something playable it doesn't matter if it's a steaming load of crap. They already have the money. They can bring in all the shiny art assets to show that they tried.

That's right. I already called that one back on Sept 19th. And that explains why they are now gung-ho about the game(s) shipping in 2016.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

I kind of wish I was a CIG employee so I could leak stuff to Derek.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
The baby PU will be stillborn, and that will be the final release.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Amarcarts posted:

It's not a glamorous as it sounds. Especially if you get info from people you never knew before. Because then you run the real risk of being fed disinformation bullshit or info designed to weed out moles.

SpyCraft is some real poo poo. :)

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
Hey I haven't been following this super close but shoutout to D_Smart for raising enough of a fuss that they've quietly been giving out refunds

quote:

Hey there,

Thank you for your patience thus far. I am happy to confirm that I have actioned the refund for $385.00 USD via Stripe (Credit/Debit Card). It can take 5-10 working days for the funds to appear. Should you have any further questions or concerns let me know.

Your account has been permanently de-activated. Should you wish to return in the future you can create a new account with the same details.

Thanks,
Mike

Ticket started on October 4th
First response on October 13th
Second response on October 14th
Refund approved on October 27th
Money in account on ???

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3r306e/hello_my_name_is/

Mrpanicy,

I don't think I have a problem, but my friends told me to just give the meetings a try. I have a Reliant, Super Hornet, and an Andromeda. As well as having gifted 6 Aurora stater packages.

As well, I am 1.5 years into the Imperator subscription. So that means I have a discount chit, which means I need to be something big.

I have been backing since November 2012, and it feels good to have given so much to a game that aspires to be everything I ever wanted a video game to be.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Amarcarts posted:

But once you met The Man in person could you betray The Vision?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Holy hell, this is a quote from that same reddit thread i linked in my last post

....don't make me feel bad for having to sell my Constellation to pay for rent! ...all I have left is a Cutlass.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
Star Citizen reminds me of Bitcoin.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Director Alpha
May 18, 2014

Tinker Tailor Soldier Sperg

D_Smart posted:

It's not a glamorous as it sounds. Especially if you get info from people you never knew before. Because then you run the real risk of being fed disinformation bullshit or info designed to weed out moles.

That it is.

All the glitz and glamour of paperwork and data entry/collection combined with all of the riveting blockbuster action you would expect from paperwork and data entry/collection.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Director Alpha posted:

That it is.

All the glitz and glamour of paperwork and data entry/collection combined with all of the riveting blockbuster action you would expect from paperwork and data entry/collection.

Any of the Illuminati have inside intel on CIG or that's for sale only?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I don't antagonize Derek because I don't want some poor intern to be subjected to reading my entire post history to dig up dirt.

My post history is a fate I wish on no one.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

D_Smart posted:

I would see right past that. I won't go into details but I have a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like Sandi Gardener Roberts.

MeLKoR posted:

But once you met The Man in person could you betray The Vision?

This is what I would honestly be more worried about. It's easy to treat him like the joke he is over the internet, but maybe he's got this thing with his eyes or something that just suck you in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viller
Jun 3, 2005

Proud opponent of Israeli terror and Jewish fascism!
I can't tell if goons are just stroking Derek Smart's ego in the hopes that he keeps making an idiot of himself or what. Pretty great in any case.

I hope I have more stuff to do when I'm "retired" than pointlessly trolling more successful people than I.

• Locked thread