Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Apple Craft posted:

Star Citizen reminds me of Bitcoin.

As someone who likes to follow "developments" in both, Star Citizen has been way, way more entertaining since August.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Director Alpha
May 18, 2014

Tinker Tailor Soldier Sperg

MeLKoR posted:

Any of the Illuminati have inside intel on CIG or that's for sale only?

You would have to ask them, we're the space-CIA iirc.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pattern is movement posted:

....don't make me feel bad for having to sell my Constellation to pay for rent! ...all I have left is a Cutlass.

gently caress you Pattern is movement. You ruined the Dream.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Director Alpha posted:

You would have to ask them, we're the space-CIA iirc.

Leak something funny.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

MeLKoR posted:

This is actually true, publicly identifying and accusing someone of sexual harassment is serious business, especially to someone married. I wonder why Wulf Dick isn't threatening to sue? Is he one of those "turn the other cheek" ultra christians?

He can only sue for defamation. And truth is an absolute defense in defamation cases. That's the reason why.

1) He says it's not true.

2) He sues.

3) Assuming it doesn't end there and then with an anti-SLAAP counter suit and which speeds things along straight to #6...

4) The victim gets a subpoena and must recount the events either during declarations (ahead of discovery), depositions, discovery etc.

5) It all goes in the public record.

6) At that point, he either settles the case and withdraws or it goes to trial.

Right after #5 is when declaratory judgments come into play and is why, if the judge agrees with the evidence, it all ends. He loses. He gets to pay court costs, damages etc. And, for good measure, if criminal proceedings come about, he gets tagged as a sex offender. For life.

So yeah, it's some serious poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

gently caress you Pattern is movement. You ruined the Dream.

hahah selling jpegs to pay rent

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder what specific phrases Karl something yells at his computer while reading Derek Smart posts.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Amarcarts posted:

This is what I would honestly be more worried about. It's easy to treat him like the joke he is over the internet, but maybe he's got this thing with his eyes or something that just suck you in.
It's a sad reflection of the times that someone like Croberts can pass as charismatic to anyone. He ain't no Cicero that's for sure.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

RescueFreak posted:

Chris had a good idea and a team that could have pulled it off. And then because reasons it just started to slip away into whatever this is.

I was onboard until they did the shift away from Austin and high profile people started leaving. I thought that Chris might be overselling a bit but he had a good crew that could at least deliver wing commander with new graphics and that is all I really wanted. It also marked the point when they went from the goofy community videos that were corny but informative to the all style no substance stuff they put out now.

Still waiting on that refund.

Mukip posted:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

CiG got 4 million more bucks this month. I get the skepticism regarding their promises but I don't see how the company offices are going to be shuttered any time soon. It seems like they can just raise another 3-4 mil almost whenever they like by pulling a CitizenCon and a new ship sale. Can anyone hazard a guess at what their monthly expenses must be like for their staffing levels, etc?

They have traditionally made a lot of money in Q4 of each year. So $4m in the month of Citizen Conned is not unexpected.

Plus, they are dealing with refunds.

And at their burn rate - which still overs around $2.5m - $3m per month according to my sources - a $4m take (LOL!! see what I did there?) is nothing. In fact, it makes up for the decline in preceding months etc. And thus far, funding is down in 2015 year on year.

The key is going to be how much money they make in Q1/16 and the source. That's why I've said that if they make it past Q1/16 - without a bail out or it all falling apart - it would simply be a case of them limping along. Which is why they're hedging all bets on 2.0 and SQ42; whichever lands first (it won't be SQ42 as that poo poo's over a year away).

I am holding fast to my Sept predictions. It's going to all fall apart in 2016, one way or another. Either as a catastrophic collapse or they ship the rest of the buggy "modules", call it a day, then collapse shortly after.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Romes128 posted:

i know i know

its cause shes completely unqualified for her job

including the acting part.

You know whats funny? I remember someone saying this in the old SC thread and getting jumped on by everyone else and probated! :laffo:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I just wanted to wish everyone a merry TOS day and a happy new year.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

KiddieGrinder posted:

I've said before, I don't know if there is a way to help those so far gone. Even if the game fails, even if it's declared dead and cancelled they'd still say "look at Duke Nukem Forever, it eventually came out!" and still wait optimistically.

Even if Croberts was sued in a class action lawsuit or by the FTC, they'd pitch in more money for his defence fund while bemoaning those nasty "Goons" and that "Derek Smart!" :rant:

Even if the game did come out and is revealed to be total poo poo, they'd blame "Goons" again or Derek Smart paying off reviewers or Gamergate or even the loving Illuminati.

Chris Roberts would literally have to record a video of himself snorting cocaine off a desk Scarface style, laughing his rear end off and telling the backers what gullible fools they were before they started to have any change of heart. And then it'd be too terrible a burden to bear and they'd end up killing themselves.

CIG needs to do like Blizzard did and literally tell people not to waste all their money on jpegs. Blizzard did something where they told players to "enjoy all things in moderation, even World of Warcraft", or something to that effect, which was a nice touch. Chris Roberts is the opposite, he just wants more and more. :(

XK posted:

There was a gif posted a week or so ago of a pilot sitting in a cockpit, the ship rotating around, and the pilot's limbs rolling around the cockpit as the ship rotated. I'm not bothering to look for it because I bet it got nuked by the bot. It basically says all that needs to be said about why this game will never come out in any form even slightly resembling the promises that have been made.

You get your basic starting point build made, all's good. Then you start going down the list of 1,200 promises you've made. You decide to pick something simple to start with, like ship localized physics or some bullshit. You spend 3 weeks mucking up your code with patches and tentacles running through everything. Finally you're done, it seems pretty good, the code's kind of messed up now, but you'll clean it up later. Oh, wait, the pilot's arms and legs fly around all over the place when the ship rotates. gently caress. Only 1,199 hacks to go.

This is basically what happens when you don't have the underlying framework for your software worked out before you start slapping stuff together, and it only gets exponentially worse when you fall victim to feature bloat. I've been there before with my own software, where I just start making stuff, get it working, then try to start sticking other features on later. It always results in a completely unmanageable mess.

If they were promising only a space ship sim, I'd say it was a reasonable possibility for them to get it together and produce something. They are promising pretty much everything that could be imagined, don't appear to have their fundamental framework worked out, and are pathologically ridden with feature bloat. This situation is an absolute death knell for any project. This is why the media they have to present of what their game offers seems to be going backwards and is less impressive than what they were showcasing years ago, it's the reason they've had to start SQ42 over, and it's why everything is in modules. Nothing works together. When they try to combine all these separate pieces, it will not be possible even by the greatest coding wizards. They are destroying their own work through bad project management and bloat. I wouldn't be surprised if in the end, when the project falls apart, they have almost nothing functional left because everything has been wrecked with half-assed hacks and patches to make space juke boxes and targeting reticules not rotate through the hull and fly off into the nearest physics object.

I can't even call it a con job, because with that the smart thing to do would be to poo poo out a decent space ship sim, then run off with the rest of the tens of millions in funds and the project completed. This is a guy who's in completely over his head, is going to end up blowing every dollar, and nobody will have anything to show for it except some space ship concept art.

I can't believe how off in the weeds this project is. These are actual real manuals. No project can survive this.

As I've said in my blogs, I don't personally believe that they set out to con anyone, commit consumer fraud etc. poo poo just happens. It's like that time when you signed some poo poo without reading the fine print.

I completely believe that when (note that I didn't say if) this all goes to hell in a hand basket that they will pin the blame squarely on me. As croberts did in his diatribe where he dragged #gamergate into the mix, only those wankers on Reddit will attempt to drag Goons into it.

As illogical as it sounds to blame ONE MAN for the collapse of a $90m+ project, considering the irrational behavior of these morons, it's exactly what I think they will do because they will need and want a villain.

Any sensible person will ask one simple question: How EXACTLY is this ONE MAN responsible for the collapse of a $90m+ project?

The answers will make as much sense as why anyone would spend $20K on a video game that's notoriously late, has never made a deadline, has shifted goal posts etc in four loving years.

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
So is Chris Roberts not a programmer or what

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dapper Dan posted:

There is literally no reason. He has not been successful in 15 years. Microsoft had to boot his stupid rear end off the last game project he was on in order to ship the loving thing and cut a ton of the crap he wanted. It turned out a great game in spite of Chris Roberts, not because of him. He was butthurt by this and clearly wanted to make movies anyway, so he left the industry. This is the first thing he's done in over a decade. The hero worship of CRoberts is completely unjustified. He hasn't been relevant in gaming for a long time and he's still operating under the 1980s assumption that a very small group of people can produce great things and everyone else can gently caress off. Nostalgia is one hell of a drug along with the laughable promise that this game will be everything to everyone and it will be the only game you need to play for the rest of your life. He's a washed-up, used car salesman bilking money from desperate nerds who are ruining their own lives over a fantasy. Its just like those guys ignorant about stocks buying up the poo poo some boiler room fraud sells them, thinking that they'll get rich off of it. Instead of exploiting people's greed, he's exploiting...I don't know what, their dreams?

And he got booted out of Hollywood because he thought he could break contract with an Oscar-winning actor and think people would still work with him. I gather once he got the money he thought he could do both: make a 10 hour movie and make his dream game that Microsoft 'ruined'. Except he's doing it in the most incompetent fashion possible. I've got no respect for CRoberts, just like other cons. Whether it was intentional or unintentional, it doesn't matter anymore.

No game that has ever had what Star Citizen has happened to it (missed every deadline, delays, no concrete release of anything, glitchy demos, bad whispering before the game even comes out) has ever ended well. Not one. Just because Chris Roberts made some great games thirty years ago doesn't justify this devotion and lack of accountability. And there is nothing in his past history that he can overcome this. In fact, there's more evidence that he can't rather than can.

Dapper Dan posted:

True, he just thinks he is a creative visionary and his word is law. The problem is that the creative medium he is working in isn't a one man operation anymore. His fan base just reinforces that notion with the silencing of even the smallest amount of dissent. And he will never realize he was the problem. He will place the blame on everyone but his inner circle. His ego is simply too big.

He's not a creative visionary. There isn't anyone that I know in the industry that regards him as such. The disinformation comes from the usual Wing Commander hyperbole.

He is as creative as all of us gamedev artistes are. And the only game that he has ever done and which earned him that "creative visionary" tag, is Wing Commander. If you ignore the movie that is.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

D_Smart posted:

Any sensible person will ask one simple question: How EXACTLY is this ONE MAN responsible for the collapse of a $90m+ project?

Croberts is how

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Yup. Still disgusting.

Varicelli
Jan 24, 2009
So whenever this game was first a thing and they were giving you special ships and poo poo all my friends backed it. I came pretty close to going in too, but felt like they were promising an unrealistic amount, and getting an unrealistic amount of money. In the same way that promising too much can gently caress you up, so can getting too much money IMO. I felt like they probably could not deliver.

Not trying to cause drama or something, but who made the right choice do you think?

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'

D_Smart posted:

I completely believe that when (note that I didn't say if) this all goes to hell in a hand basket that they will pin the blame squarely on me. As croberts did in his diatribe where he dragged #gamergate into the mix, only those wankers on Reddit will attempt to drag Goons into it.

I know it's been brought up, but never saw an actual reply:

So what happens when they use some of the last of the money to (pay someone to) make something with indie/minecraft quality graphics; a game which technically fulfills their promises, but is utterly lackluster... with, say, the depth of someone's college roguelike project they worked on for a week?

Obviously it would be egg on the face of the true believers, but wouldn't Chris Roberts be off the hook for everything (except any illegal business practices that occurred, discrimination, etc)?

I mean, given the crowdfunding, if his actions aren't taken as fraud, that would mean he doesn't even have to deliver anything... but what if he does JUST enough?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jon Do posted:

I know it's been brought up, but never saw an actual reply:

So what happens when they use some of the last of the money to (pay someone to) make something with indie/minecraft quality graphics; a game which technically fulfills their promises, but is utterly lackluster... with, say, the depth of someone's college roguelike project they worked on for a week?

Obviously it would be egg on the face of the true believers, but wouldn't Chris Roberts be off the hook for everything (except any illegal business practices that occurred, discrimination, etc)?

I mean, given the crowdfunding, if his actions aren't taken as fraud, that would mean he doesn't even have to deliver anything... but what if he does JUST enough?

Courts and suites and poo poo aren't hung up on technicalities, it's more about intent. Even if they did release a thing they still have all their promises and scope and all that other garbage. Even if something is technically cut and dry it doesn't make you immune from being slapped anyway.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
Yeah, but is a court really going to look at game mechanics vs promises and say "nope, theres a game here, technically hits all the bullet points, but you can tell its not one that cost $90m"?

Given that there's got to be a huge margin in "Well, we overspent on this and that, had to scale back... We probably could have done this for less, but we tried our best and this is what we've got."

I guess stranger things have happened. I am thankfully ignorant when it comes to the justice system. E: I suppose, also taking into account, even Derek says they probably just pissed it away, not claiming it was all a con...

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 1, 2015

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

MVP posted:

Why is Sandi not a good actress?

https://vimeo.com/49705991

:ughh:

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Star Citizen: The Next Generation of gaming isn't as good as TOS

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So when's the lawsuit coming <:mad:>

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

MeLKoR posted:

It's a sad reflection of the times that someone like Croberts can pass as charismatic to anyone. He ain't no Cicero that's for sure.

Cicero said this about Derek Smart:

"Cicero" posted:

Quodsi ea mihi maxime inpenderet tamen hoc animo fui semper, ut invidiam virtute partam gloriam, non invidiam putarem. Quod illum in rotamsella.
:hist101:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

My bet is on the fact that croberts is a Pepsi man and somehow believed his product was superior, much like pepsi.

Had he been a Coca-Cola man, things would have been different. Coca-Cola people know how to manage superior products in the face of adversity and subpar competition.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Yup. Still disgusting.

Don't kink shame! I have a thing for women picking out bits of old food from their teeth with their tongue. :fap:

grimcreaper posted:

My bet is on the fact that croberts is a Pepsi man and somehow believed his product was superior, much like pepsi.

But doesn't Pepsi Co. own a poo poo ton of different companies, and is much larger and more successful than Coke? :confused:

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

KiddieGrinder posted:

Don't kink shame! I have a thing for women picking out bits of old food from their teeth with their tongue. :fap:

But doesn't Pepsi Co. own a poo poo ton of different companies, and is much larger and more successful than Coke? :confused:

Pepsi does own a fair share of stuff but their philosophy is to saturate the market with poor product at cheaper prices.

Coca-Cola owns Dr. Pepper. These 2 sodas are the greatest sodas that have ever existed.

The one product Pepsi had that I like was Pepsi Crystal but that didn't last long.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

grimcreaper posted:

Coca-Cola owns Dr. Pepper. These 2 sodas are the greatest sodas that have ever existed.

I can't argue with the truth!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

grimcreaper posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3r306e/hello_my_name_is/

As well, I am 1.5 years into the Imperator subscription. So that means I have a discount chit, which means I need to be something big.

Wait, what is this discount chit thing? Do they really have a thing where if you pay them like $100 in subscription fees, they give you 10% off a $2,000 space ship JPEG?

shiiiit they need to drop the whole SC fiasco right now and start a marketing business, this is amazing

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Seriously, GTFO of the Games forum unless you're chugging a 2 liter Mt. Dew right now.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Yup. Still disgusting.

Could it be that your feelings for CIG color your opinion on the looks of Mrs. Gardiner?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

RVWinkle posted:

Seriously, GTFO of the Games forum unless you're chugging a 2 liter Mt. Dew right now.

Does buttchuggin MtnDew Code Red count?

Director Alpha
May 18, 2014

Tinker Tailor Soldier Sperg

AP posted:

Leak something funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLlk0ROvcKA

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

toanoradian posted:

One more day until Dr. Smart's lawsuit, right?

If the lawsuit didn't come, would this whole thread turn on Dr Smart?

AP posted:

I think he said it's not a lawsuit against CIG a while ago, but everyone has ignored that. It better be something funny or, yeah, Star Citizen will finally disappoint.

Ragequit posted:

So legal cleared the blog a few days ago but DS is too busy being insufferable on the Internet to click the ol' POST button for 3 more days? Good stuff. Better be worth it, with actual real information this time.

Hopper posted:

Clearly the blog hinges on it being NOVEMBER,... something something original TOS (I did not understand that legalese).
And Tuesday probably because of some stuff that must first be done on Monday before the blog is published, something for which it must be Novemeber and Monday is the 2nd and therefore the first working day of November when you can file poo poo and stuff.

I.e. Derek will hand in suing papers on Monday and tell us about it in his blog on Tuesday when it is already done so CIG can't preliminarily injunct him or some legalese ninjitsu.

Disclaimer: I am as competent at law as CIG is at making a functioning game, so my information is pre-alpha, don't rely on it.

Iron Tusk posted:

Is the lawsuit going to hit the same day?

Spaced God posted:

So when's the lawsuit coming <:mad:>

I know some of you skip lots of pages and stuff gets lost in translation. So here is where we are.

NOTE: I decided to just post it on my website instead.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 1, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

RVWinkle posted:

Mountain Dew Code Red or bust

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I prefer Coke from a soda fountain but Pepsi from a soda bottle. Makes you think...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Now we're getting to the poo poo I like

Dr smart, grandmaster dancer

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr9_GfeoCjk

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

D_Smart posted:

I know some of you skip lots of pages and stuff gets lost in translation. So here is where we are.

NOTE: I decided to just post it on my website instead.

goonspeed good sir

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did you guys know in Texas everyone basically calls all soft drinks coke?

Ex. "Do you want a coke?" "Yeah, what kind?"

Doesn't matter if its coke, Dr pepper, fanta, whatever

P weird

• Locked thread