Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!

Hirayuki posted:

Is anybody else in here :corsair: enough to remember and/or have owned/played Journey Escape on the Atari 2600?
Old enough to remember that, but also old enough for the far superior Journey arcade game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opUftfKhdZc

cubeboy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Corridor posted:

what parody pic...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVAany_f8kk

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Hirayuki posted:

Is anybody else in here :corsair: enough to remember and/or have owned/played Journey Escape on the Atari 2600?

That was the first thing I thought when "rescue the band game" was mentioned.

Nemo2342 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 23, 2015

Mingus Dew
Dec 30, 2013

Finally, a good reason to punch a teenager in the face!

This is the best thing.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

cubeboy posted:

Old enough to remember that, but also old enough for the far superior Journey arcade game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opUftfKhdZc

Interesting that this piece (advertisement? News segment? Not sure what's going on with this) doesn't mention the game's big selling point: it had a cassette player inside, with a perpetual loop of 'Separate Ways', and when you got to the bouncer part of the game, the tape would play until you failed and the game started again at a higher difficulty.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

lmao that's great

kibe and tani are the women <3

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

That makes like, two layers of parody there. And it's great :D

Spyros
Apr 28, 2013
Hey guys, I was wondering if the audio editing-savvy among you could help me out with a GCCX-like video project I'm working on.

As a part of this project, I would like to have the background music fade out on the sort of short echo-y sustain that lots of tracks playing over Kan's voiceovers do. You can listen to multiple examples in practically every episode, especially when there is a cutaway of the King explaining a game's mechanics. The editor I currently have is Goldwave and I've tried messing around with Echo and/or Reverb, but it doesn't seem to even come close.

I'd appreciate it if someone could help me achieve that GCCX authentic sound feel!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Next challenge confirmed as Shockman on the TG-16 (they’ve been leaking the new challenges weeks ahead for a while now). Apparently Yanai has a serious announcement as well.

New corner is “Assess Arino’s Bonus”, and the assessment will, of course, be done by game.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I just recently bought a Wii U. Is it possible to follow GCCX staff on Miiverse?

McLaglen
Nov 12, 2011

what is love?
what is free love?
what is love?
love is free.

:scotland:

jyrque posted:

I just recently bought a Wii U. Is it possible to follow GCCX staff on Miiverse?
Arino and Kibe have verified accounts, created for a Famicom 30th Anniversary event, which may be re-used this week to post their Super Mario Maker event level.

The accounts they may use 'at home' are a different question; one that I'd also like to know the answer to.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

We're running lowish on episodes to sub. We must complete a dark ritual and go way back in time to resurrect a long-dead episode format about a dead company.

Hailing from Season 1, when the challenge was only a small part of the episode (Track & Field in this case), Arino aims to get all of Konami's miserable little pile of secrets. Since this aired back when definitions weren't high and digital home recordings rare, quality isn't the greatest.

Translated by zari-gani
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofed by Hirayuki

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=752575

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Thanks a ton for this. I've always been waiting for some of these episodes to get subbed in full - it feels wrong to have these big holes in the first season.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

univbee posted:

We're running lowish on episodes to sub. We must complete a dark ritual and go way back in time to resurrect a long-dead episode format about a dead company.

Hailing from Season 1, when the challenge was only a small part of the episode (Track & Field in this case), Arino aims to get all of Konami's miserable little pile of secrets. Since this aired back when definitions weren't high and digital home recordings rare, quality isn't the greatest.

Translated by zari-gani
Timed by Random Stranger
Proofed by Hirayuki

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=752575

So, uh, this has no seeders.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

So, uh, this has no seeders.

Weird, something went very strange with my torrenting app. Fixed now.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Wait, Konami is dead?

Or it was something else then that's dead now?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

Wait, Konami is dead?

Or it was something else then that's dead now?

Konami has left the video game market, and is focusing on pushing their IPs in the hugely-lucrative field of pachinko machines.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Konami's retreating from traditional game development and forcing out everyone who gives a poo poo about traditional games, basically.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I love the massive blocks of legal info on all the PES clips.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Everyone who made games at Konami is now a janitor at a health club.

Gimpy Joe
Jul 25, 2004
In Xanadu did Kubla Khan A Stately Pleasure Dome Decree

Mister Chief posted:

Everyone who made games at Konami is now a janitor at a health club.

A health club with Pachinko machines.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It feels so weird that they used Gregorian's With or without you as background music.

e: After watching the whole thing, I really like this format too. Interviews and then challenge portions. Of course the show took off in a different direction, but the first season isn't so bad.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 4, 2015

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Yeah I liked that episode too. Just kind of depressing that everyone interviewed there is likely not there now or is working on """""Sexy""""" Castlevania pachinko or whatever the hell. You can see the slow downturn if you played any of the beatmania games, cause the familiar big names like Akira Yamaoka just started disappearing from the contributed artists list as the series went on.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
So wait who's making Metal Gear games now? Or are they not doing any more?

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I don't get why they dont just split the rights and sell them to people who make regular games.

"Ah, Silent Hill. I remember playing this before I ruined my life with a gambling addiction."

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I was not going when I said developers were now working as janitors at Konami health clubs. This is a literal thing that happened.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Stefan Prodan posted:

So wait who's making Metal Gear games now? Or are they not doing any more?

They shut down Kojima's studio and disbanded the team working on their next-gen engine and they just closed the LA studio that was working on the online multiplayer game and the PC port but they're still insisting they'll be making a new MGS, and soon. That being said, they also insist Kojima is still working at Konami and is just "on vacation" right now, so...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Arino's Mario Maker level is available to play with the new update.

EDIT: three Arino levels, and beating any one of them unlocks the "Arino KACHO" skin:

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 5, 2015

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Seeing them on video is one thing, but playing his levels make me realize that Arino really knows good level design.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Andorra posted:

Seeing them on video is one thing, but playing his levels make me realize that Arino really knows good level design.

I mean, how long has he been playing video games for our entertainment? Something's got to rub off on you after a while.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

The all-caps stylization of "KACHO" is so dumb and misguided. More dumb that Nintendo (probably had to) follow it.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

rdbbb posted:

The all-caps stylization of "KACHO" is so dumb and misguided. More dumb that Nintendo (probably had to) follow it.

Just remember, all caps when you spell the man's name.

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.

Andorra posted:

It's so jarring going from Arino's levels which are GENUINELY GOOD, to the Facebook level. Which is not an example of good level design.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Regarding caps in SMM, (in my work at least), it's pretty common to spell the first name in lower case, and the last name IN ALL CAPS when we have non Japanese guests/meetings. I honestly don't know how wide spread that is in Japan, but I've seen it used in meetings in other Asian countries too.

My two yen aside, latest episode highlights:

For the first time in 12 years, the show got a thank you letter for someone winning the "signed game and business card" contest. The "everyone is a huge fan" family that won was so happy, that they all hugged when they got it.
But, "We didn't get a signed business card, so please send one, if that's okay." Deep apologizes aside, at the end, the promised to remember to send the card this time.

The new segment:

Funny, especially the acting scenes between Arino/Kan. Arino fails the first challenge, and loses out on a 1kg rice ticket. I'd take it...

Yanai's big announcement:

He's leaving the show, Gascoin, and the TV Industry altogether. When quizzed, he said he's not going home to Fukushima prefecture, but has connections to a farm in Hokkaido. Take care, Defense Machine, don't get kicked by a cow or anything.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 6, 2015

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

Regarding caps in SMM, (in my work at least), it's pretty common to spell the first name in lower case, and the last name IN ALL CAPS when we have non Japanese guests/meetings. I honestly don't know how wide spread that is in Japan, but I've seen it used in meetings in other Asian countries too.
They've been doing it since Retro Game Master was a thing. It probably is some way to get us to think those are his first and last names. It's just a silly method of 'branding' either way. But I guess it's better than calling him Kenny Blankenship.

rdbbb fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 6, 2015

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Arino's Mario Maker level is available to play with the new update.

EDIT: three Arino levels, and beating any one of them unlocks the "Arino KACHO" skin:

I just found out what happens when you clear a level with the Arino skin:

Arino sings along with the familiar "level clear" tune a little ditty that translates to "I cleared it! I cleared it! I might get home before dinner!"

I'm still laughing.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

I just found out what happens when you clear a level with the Arino skin:

Arino sings along with the familiar "level clear" tune a little ditty that translates to "I cleared it! I cleared it! I might get home before dinner!"

I'm still laughing.

:3: Thanks for that! I love his various sound effects.

I'm so glad they sent these levels outside of Japan. I have downloaded them so I can play them forever and ever.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I'm in Japan for two weeks, and would love to watch GCCX IRL on the actual real TV. When the heck is it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makere
Jan 14, 2012

A Big... Dog posted:

I'm in Japan for two weeks, and would love to watch GCCX IRL on the actual real TV. When the heck is it on?

The Schedule:
http://otn.fujitv.co.jp/b_hp/100000017.html