Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

fondue posted:

Thaumcraft just released for 1.8, watch all of the other modders pile on so they're not outdone.

I know TC5 just released. Read my post just before that, where I also added that most major mods still aren't likely to update. For the most part, 1.8 is getting skipped. If a major mod hasn't released an version for 1.8 yet or have said that they have one in the works (like Blood Magic) then they're not very likely to update. Thaumcraft release isn't going to change that.

quote:

Oh, and the 1.8 Thaumcraft release changes a whole bunch of poo poo and golems haven't been ported over yet ...

Did you just completely skip my post saying these things and starting this particular conversation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

man, no-one is walking away from this conversation looking good

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

Steelion posted:

The lack of a research minigame means I ran out of aer and ordo research points, along with most of the aspects using one or the other pretty quick. It turns out that aer and ordo, and by extention motus, vacuos, potentia, praecantatio, etc., is kind of important!

Meanwhile I have hundreds of the other primals and literally no way to spend them.

I prefer the minigame, it lets me use the aspects I have poo poo tons of while conserving the ones I'm low on.

Ag Skies 2 doesn't have the minigame enabled, and I'm constantly out of Aer research things too. I went into the Nether but couldn't find any nodes to scan, should I just throw a few dozen crafting tables at the deconstruction table and spam click the research out, or is there a better way to get them? And yeah I've been scanning EVERYTHING as I make it for the first time, but I'm still running out constantly. This is my first time messing with Thaumcraft since I'm playing solo and my husband's normally the one who does all our Thaumcraft stuff, it's... an interesting mod. Not entirely sure if I like it or not, but it gives some useful goodies.

Speaking of useful goodies, how do I equip the Scholar's Lens? Everything I've found on it has been "swap between them by holding V or shift-V to unequip" but I can't figure out how to equip them in the first place. And yes I went into the config and got rid of the other conflicting V keybinds, but it still doesn't seem to do anything.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I'm not sure if this is the best thread to ask this, but can any Australian goons recommend a good Australian Minecraft server?

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

BlueOccamy posted:

Speaking of useful goodies, how do I equip the Scholar's Lens? Everything I've found on it has been "swap between them by holding V or shift-V to unequip" but I can't figure out how to equip them in the first place. And yes I went into the config and got rid of the other conflicting V keybinds, but it still doesn't seem to do anything.

The lenses should behave just like the wand foci do. Hold button, radial menu appears, pick lens. Oh, and look forward to hearing that stupid 'you can't learn anything from this' sound effect ALL THE GODDAMN TIME. I wound up drop kicking those bastards out of my inventory after the first hour.

EricFate fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 1, 2015

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I took a look at a cheatsheet Thaumonomicon in TC5 and it looks like there have been some interesting changes to infusion crafting (eldritch stone and ancient stone altars/pedestals will increase speed/stability at the cost of the other, I forget which does which), nitor can be dyed now, and essentia distillation seems to be a lot more annoying & terrible (the highest tier essentia smeltery still has a 5% chance of farting flux out however often).
Otherwise, it looks like it's about the same. Our old buddies the elemental tools are still there, thaumium fortress armor is about the same, wands are the same (except how they charge), etc.

The Aura/Flux mechanic seems severely unfun, though. I'm really bummed out that it's back. The node vis mechanics were really easy to get a hang of and control, I'm not a big fan of core mechanics that are inscrutable and annoying. Plus I guess you can just permanently gently caress up an area by depleting the aura entirely?? So that's cool if you hate yourself I guess.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 1, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Depends on the aura/flux effects. In TC3 they were really fun, it spawned wisps randomly and hosed with the weather. So my evil wizard island in the middle of the ocean had an ever present swarm of floating little motes hovering around and constantly had thunderstorms and was a spooky evil wizard island. I just kinda did stuff and ignored Aura and Flux for the most part and polluted like crazy and all that happened was occasionally I had a wisp that was a hostile aspect spawn and after it zapped me once I'd kill it

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Yeah I guess that's cool, I thought it just turned the biome into taint eventually which apparently just turns everything into lovely ultrafine dust now or something. I guess I'll just have to gently caress around with it and :argh:learn new things:argh:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Taint was like a thing, in theory, in TC3 I think but I never got there.

Honestly even in TC4 you can pollute like crazy and it doesn't really matter. You have to really, really go ham with wanton pollution before you start actually having any problems with things turning purple, and it's easy to kill small infestations with a few ethereal blooms. When I was learning TC4 I was a pretty danged messy wizard and never had any issues crop up :shrug:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
Chances of permadraining the aura in TC5 are or permenanentlh ruining it are a lot smaller. Nodes in TC3 were fairly well spread out and good ones were rare. From my own poking around, nodes in TC5 are pretty drat common, although only of a single aspect. They also appear to be much, much more active about replenishing the aura. There are also ways of pushing the aura itself around via new totemsz

Also, the easiest way to destroy the aura in TC3 was using the Arcane Bore. In TC5, you can supply it with essentia and it won't even touch the aura unless it runs out.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Couldn't you just... generate aura passively in TC3 anyway? With crystal clusters?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
Thaumcraft 5 already? That's surprising. It's probably best for everyone involved to just wait for it to get finished/fixed up a bit though, I can't imagine it being that great this early, especially without any of the thaumcraft modmods.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
regrowth is weird, I'm post scarcity on everything but three nether ore seeds, can do the ritual of gaia, about to make the final essence stone, and still have only 3 thaum quests unlocked and 4 greyed out quest lines.

How long is this dumb thing, I'm tired of not having automation and want to heal the world already! I guess I'll cheat in bees and fish and see if that unlocks stuff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

regrowth is weird, I'm post scarcity on everything but three nether ore seeds, can do the ritual of gaia, about to make the final essence stone, and still have only 3 thaum quests unlocked and 4 greyed out quest lines.

How long is this dumb thing, I'm tired of not having automation and want to heal the world already! I guess I'll cheat in bees and fish and see if that unlocks stuff.

Apparently a lot of the quests are gated behind reputation. Like, here's a thing from the Regrowth FAQ:

quote:

- How do I get Certus Quartz to start AE2?
The Certus Quartz quests get unlocked after you have the Extreme Infusion Stone and a Mechanist reputation of 70. This will require you to complete most of the quests in Chapter 5.

Also, you can technically also do autofarming with Forestry's multifarms (set to manual "fruit picker" mode) but you will have to scare up some Apatite, as the multifarms consume forestry fertilizer to operate. This involves a Botania Orechid and a lot of mana. You can silk touch your first apatite ore and use it to assist in breeding an Apatine bee.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Honestly I may bail on the pack, I put a lot of time into the parts I enjoyed but I know from the list I only have bees, fish, mekanism and warded jar juggling to look forward to.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Also from the Regrowth FAQ:

quote:

- Can Iron Chests/Extra Utils/Thermal Expansion be added into this pack?
These goes against the pack's goal of avoiding common "go-to" mods and so they will not be added.

I love that Railcraft, Forestry, and Buildcraft are no longer considered "go-to" mods.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I liked the idea of showcasing lesser used mods, but lesser used mods are generally that way because they're inferior or annoying to use. Especially in the case of *craft which stopped being fun two years ago. Or, alternatively, up and coming like botania, which was the star of the pack.

I didn't care for witchery at all; the altar's too hard to use and requires a carefully crafted 16x16 cube of different plants and wood blocks and has dozens and dozens of random items and it's just... uuugh. I do the altar bit but only have 1000 whatever points and apparently to summon a guy for the next step it needs to be 10k? No thanks, I don't feel like climbing over that wall.

Maybe it'd be more fun in multi, but really, i'll just use a different mod and get an item I can use that's normally crafted. Same with all the robe / cape / clothing options, it's just re-inventing a wheel that's got a dozen steps to make instead of two or three. Regrowth in particular implements witchery very poorly and no core concepts are explained, I had to go wiki-diving to figure some of it out. Witchery would be a lot better with an overhaul and some real in-game documentation instead of 12(!!!) basic books all filled with random poo poo. The fume stuff with 4 tree types stuff was very clean and logical but then it just balloons outwards in all directions with 4 or 5 different bewildering mechanics. It's another mod that fails the "less is more" addage.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 1, 2015

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
I haven't played in awhile, any good 1.8.x mod packs out at the moment to just kind of relax with?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Not for 1.8, no.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

Mzbundifund posted:

Not for 1.8, no.

Then what do we like for 1.7?

Edit: Seems like Modderation, OMPi, and Progress haven't gotten updates in quite awhile.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Glory of Arioch posted:

I love that Railcraft, Forestry, and Buildcraft are no longer considered "go-to" mods.

Let us not forget RedPower ... oh, wait ...

I'm amazed that Eloraam still has 50 patreon subscribers, all hanging on to that last shred of hope that RedPower 3 will see the light of day. As a stand alone Java game. Because the fact that evil Microsoft now owns Minecraft means that El refuses to develop things for it any longer.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood

Gerdalti posted:

Then what do we like for 1.7?

Edit: Seems like Modderation, OMPi, and Progress haven't gotten updates in quite awhile.

I've been super-busy with my business, and have been slacking pretty hard on Modderation updates.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!

mechaet posted:

I've been super-busy with my business, and have been slacking pretty hard on Modderation updates.

No blame, I was just looking for something new and fancy to dick around with.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Well, there is a new OMP-i server. And then you've got Insert Coins. I spend my Minecraft time on those two.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Serifina posted:

Did you just completely skip my post saying these things and starting this particular conversation?
Looking back ... yes. Yes I did.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

OMP time has been spent on...

a thing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Can someone do a good writeup of whats changed in TC5? I watched some guy go over the wand tab and the magnet and totems look kinda cool but I'd like to see the rest too. It looks like we're going back to jury rigging with thaumcraft rather than total node mastery.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Demiurge4 posted:

Can someone do a good writeup of whats changed in TC5? I watched some guy go over the wand tab and the magnet and totems look kinda cool but I'd like to see the rest too. It looks like we're going back to jury rigging with thaumcraft rather than total node mastery.

If nobody's done so by then, I can do this tonight when I get home from work.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

EricFate posted:

The lenses should behave just like the wand foci do. Hold button, radial menu appears, pick lens. Oh, and look forward to hearing that stupid 'you can't learn anything from this' sound effect ALL THE GODDAMN TIME. I wound up drop kicking those bastards out of my inventory after the first hour.

So they just sit in my inventory? No need to put them in a special GUI slot like the health upgrade things? I, uh, haven't made wand foci yet, so I'm not entirely sure how they're supposed to operate. That's sort of the point of playing AS2, for me, is to learn how some of this stuff works! (the documentation out there for Thaumcraft is horrible, if I didn't have my husband around to answer questions I'd be totally lost on a bunch of this poo poo)

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Anyone know how to fix a "java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out: no further information:" error? I've configured my firewall to allow Java and it still gives me this error. The error does not occur on Vanilla Minecraft.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
Okay, I actually really, really like how TC5 gives you a certain amount of primary research points per research note. It makes everything feel like a puzzle rather than a puzzle preceded by a long slog scanning a bunch of bullshit. I'm actually enjoying doing the research, which has never happened before.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

BlueOccamy posted:

So they just sit in my inventory? No need to put them in a special GUI slot like the health upgrade things? I, uh, haven't made wand foci yet, so I'm not entirely sure how they're supposed to operate. That's sort of the point of playing AS2, for me, is to learn how some of this stuff works! (the documentation out there for Thaumcraft is horrible, if I didn't have my husband around to answer questions I'd be totally lost on a bunch of this poo poo)

Right. It can sit in your inventory or in a Lens Case (If you make one) until you activate it (default is holding down the "V" key), then it disappears from your inventory and binds to your Goggles of Revealing. There are five lenses in all that you can make, and you can swap between them at any time. The most useful ones are the Kirlian Lens (See where creatures are through walls), and the Echo Lens (See underwater). The Illumine Lens seems useful at first, until you realize you've lost track of which areas you've remembered to light up and which ones will still spawn monsters. The Evanescent Lens is just dumb. It is basically Kirlian Lens for people who like to run into walls.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Serifina posted:

If anyone's interested, Thaumcraft released for MC1.8 yesterday. There are a few features not present (mostly the golems, they're apparently getting a full rework again). Don't expect other major mods, though. Hell, looking around I can't hardly find any. If you really like TC, it might be worth it to play, though.

pixelmon has been 1.8 for ages

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

TheresaJayne posted:

Yeah, but nobody plays that. :p

Also, sorry I didn't do that write up for the TC changes but I'm in the ER instead.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

TheresaJayne posted:

Given how 'Cease and Desist' happy Nintendo is, how the hell does pixelmon continue to exist? I've always been kind of baffled by that.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

EricFate posted:

Given how 'Cease and Desist' happy Nintendo is, how the hell does pixelmon continue to exist? I've always been kind of baffled by that.

Are they? I don't think I've ever heard of a fangame getting taken down by Nintendo.

Videos of people playing nintendo fangames, however, are 100% verboten for some reason. Nintendo doesn't really get youtube.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

senae posted:

Are they? I don't think I've ever heard of a fangame getting taken down by Nintendo.

Pokemon Fusion Generation. :smith:

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
What's a good way to start generating RF in Modderation: permabanned?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

what happened posted:

Autocraft a tesseract in goon labs and set it to the public power channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

what happened posted:

How early game?

Ender IO Generator or TE Steam Dynamo are both decent.

Big Reactors works better after you get the resources. A small one (1-3 blocks high) will generate insane rf for almost no fuel cost for all of your early-mid game machine/ae2 needs. It takes very little upfront investment too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 3, 2015