Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New poster, first piece of marketing I've seen featuring Tennant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

zoux posted:

Did he always had :pwn: eyes?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Just hit page 107-108 while catching up on this because Jessica Jones is out soon. This thread is going to be totally insufferable for the whole run, isn't it?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

The Sharmat posted:

Just hit page 107-108 while catching up on this because Jessica Jones is out soon. This thread is going to be totally insufferable for the whole run, isn't it?

Why are you reviving the dead insufferable argument?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

I see Kafka

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

mikeraskol posted:

Why are you reviving the dead insufferable argument?

Sorry. It was pretty amazing. It's probably also gonna be 90% of the thread's content in the near future, too, so might as well brace yourself.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

There have been multiple Green Lanterns -- five significant ones from Earth, plus countless aliens. But the main guy that always gets pushed, Hal Jordan (from the movie), is a boring and stupid idiot.
*yellow lantern guy is attacking the justice league with a materialized flak cannon*
Hal Jordan: "I got just the thing :smug:"
*creates fighter jet that immedietely explodes from flak*

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Comic runs are so long and ridiculous that I can never actually tell if a poster is joking or if that's something that actually happened.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

The Sharmat posted:

Comic runs are so long and ridiculous that I can never actually tell if a poster is joking or if that's something that actually happened.
It was from the Injustice game, can't find the whole video but here's the trailer without the dialogue
https://youtu.be/W6jrq2I8OKc?t=48s

I mean, yeah, he takes it out (at the cost of losing his own object) but the one thing he can think of using against an anti-aircraft weapon is an aircraft.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I've just always thought "I can make anything I want" is a goofy-rear end power. If you impose limits on what he can do, it seems arbitrary. If you don't, he's basically god. If he ever loses, it's due to lack of imagination.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I've just always thought "I can make anything I want" is a goofy-rear end power. If you impose limits on what he can do, it seems arbitrary. If you don't, he's basically god. If he ever loses, it's due to lack of imagination.

That's why Kyle Rayner, an artist with an unlimited, crazy imagination, was so much more interesting as a Green Lantern, or John Stewart, who was a meticulous architect when he created his constructs. (Of course, in the JL/JLU cartoon, John only created beams and bubbles, probably due to animation budget restrictions.)

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Zsinjeh posted:

*yellow lantern guy is attacking the justice league with a materialized flak cannon*
Hal Jordan: "I got just the thing :smug:"
*creates fighter jet that immedietely explodes from flak*

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The Netflix synopses of every episode of Jessica Jones have been posted online, so beware of spoilers if you don't want to see that kind of thing.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Pakled posted:

The Netflix synopses of every episode of Jessica Jones have been posted online, so beware of spoilers if you don't want to see that kind of thing.

Being someone who likes to know what I’m in for when I start watching a series, where would I look for this?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SaintFu posted:

Being someone who likes to know what I’m in for when I start watching a series, where would I look for this?

Right here.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Awesome. Thanks.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Based on this it sounds like there's barely any resemblance between the comic storyline and the TV show beyond the extreme broad stroaks. I don't have a problem with this, but it's worth noting.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
That's inevitable given the comic was a bunch of hugely disconnected stories and the final conflict was resolved via Deus ex Machina from a character Marvel doesn't own the adaptation rights to.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

The Sharmat posted:

That's inevitable given the comic was a bunch of hugely disconnected stories and the final conflict was resolved via Deus ex Machina from a character Marvel doesn't own the adaptation rights to.

Well, they could have gone with a more procedural format (and probably would have if ABC had picked up the show back in the day), but that's not really what Netflix does.

And while I've noted this before, even setting aside specific characters like Jean Grey, Carol Danvers, and Scott Lang, the entire theme of Jessica's relationship with the superhero community, which was a major part of Alias, doesn't work in the MCU because there's no superhero community to speak of. Aside from the Avengers, who obviously aren't available and none of whom seem to regularly patrol New York like their 616 counterparts anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Sharmat posted:

I thought it was at least somewhat implied Jean did more than telepathic counseling after Jessica is freed from Killgrave. I'm pretty sure she and Xavier have done similar things before when rebuilding people's minds from inside.

Train Surgeon
Jan 14, 2012

The spelling mistakes in these make me wary of it being real...

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Barry Convex posted:

And while I've noted this before, even setting aside specific characters like Jean Grey, Carol Danvers, and Scott Lang, the entire theme of Jessica's relationship with the superhero community, which was a major part of Alias, doesn't work in the MCU because there's no superhero community to speak of.

I'm not sure how well that would translate anyway. I mean I don't read many comics anymore so I don't know how it's usually handled, but reading Alias that part almost came across like the Venture Brothers.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
There's rumors that Iron Fist is going to be a feature instead of a series with the potential of Punisher being the fourth Defender depending on how he's received in Daredevil S2. Reasons for the series to feature move is the trouble of adding the mystical angle, which wasn't really touched on for the Hand in Daredevil S1.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Honestly, this is kind of Strange to me because well, Doctor Strange will be a thing before Iron Fist even comes out so it'll open those doors, won't it?

Also, what the hell, where's the episode titled "Jewel and the Power Man"? :(

Deakul fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 2, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Train Surgeon posted:

The spelling mistakes in these make me wary of it being real...

There are links.

The Sharmat posted:

I'm not sure how well that would translate anyway. I mean I don't read many comics anymore so I don't know how it's usually handled, but reading Alias that part almost came across like the Venture Brothers.

Not really sure what you mean by that...

Coffeehitler posted:

There's rumors that Iron Fist is going to be a feature instead of a series with the potential of Punisher being the fourth Defender depending on how he's received in Daredevil S2. Reasons for the series to feature move is the trouble of adding the mystical angle, which wasn't really touched on for the Hand in Daredevil S1.

Oh, god, please don't put Punisher on the Defenders.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
There's a rumor that Marvel will retroactively wipe any mention of Iron Fist from the space-time continuum

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Deakul posted:

Honestly, this is kind of Strange to me because well, Doctor Strange will be a thing before Iron Fist even comes out so it'll open those doors, won't it?

Doesn't the move to feature imply the problem is something like budget, as opposed to mystical weirdness?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Coffeehitler posted:

This is just the dumbest thing. How the gently caress are you going to have a team with The loving Punisher as one of it's pillars? Daredevil: Killing is Wrong. Jessica Jones: Killing is wrong. Luke Cage: Killing is wrong. Punisher: Shoot a scumbag just to watch him bleed.

Also gently caress you, do not dangle an Iron Fist series in front of me just to take it away because you can't figure out magic that you've already set up in Dare Devil and will explore in far more detail in your multimillion dollar blockbuster Dr. Strange. Loki is magic as gently caress, man.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Doesn't the move to feature imply the problem is something like budget, as opposed to mystical weirdness?

Unless they're rebuilding Marco Polo's sets for Khun Lun, I don't see why Iron Fist would be so much more expensive. The mystical magic visuals are largely limited to adobe after effect to make his hands and feet glow also making a dragon corpse. Maybe a green smoke man, and some spiders if the other immortal weapons get involved.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 2, 2015

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Deakul posted:

Also, what the hell, where's the episode titled "Jewel and the Power Man"? :(

"AKA Kumbaya Circle Jerk" was also retitled.

I also note that the series' official synopsis was recently changed from this:

quote:

After a tragic ending to her short-lived super hero stint, Jessica Jones is rebuilding her personal life and career as a detective who gets pulled into cases involving people with extraordinary abilities in New York City.

To this:

quote:

Haunted by a traumatic past, Jessica Jones uses her gifts as a private eye to find her tormentor before he can harm anyone else in Hell’s Kitchen.

Not sure what, if anything, that says about how (whether?) the show will depict her brief career as Jewel, but it bears noting.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I kind of hope in the show there was no brief superhero career as The Jewel. That's one of the few things about the comic I didn't like.

The New York Times
Mar 2, 2013

Call
1-800-NYTIMES for FREE home delivery
Did Netflix ever actually say they planned an Iron Fist season or was that just assumed since the rest of the Defenders are being done?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

X-O posted:

I kind of hope in the show there was no brief superhero career as The Jewel. That's one of the few things about the comic I didn't like.

Well, every synopsis prior to this has referred to her as a former superhero, and the prequel comic even used the phrase "costumed superhero." So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The New York Times posted:

Did Netflix ever actually say they planned an Iron Fist season or was that just assumed since the rest of the Defenders are being done?

It was part of the announcement back in November of 2013.

Source 1 says:
Disney will provide Netflix with live action series and a miniseries featuring Marvel characters Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage set in the gritty world of heroes and villains of Hell’s Kitchen, New York.

Source 2 says:
The four series, set in the underworld of Hell’s Kitchen in New York, are to include “Daredevil,” followed by “Jessica Jones,” “Iron Fist” and “Luke Cage.”

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I think Marvel/Disney/Netflix saw the response to Beasts of No Nation and went "Hey how bout we turn Iron Fist into a movie exclusive to Netflix"

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

How could Luke Cage and Punisher exist on the same team anyways? Punisher has no filter for extenuating circumstances.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mooseontheloose posted:

How could Luke Cage and Punisher exist on the same team anyways? Punisher has no filter for extenuating circumstances.

Luke Cage is bullet proof. It would probably be a very annoying team up for him though. An hell on his wardrobe.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Didn't Punisher forgive Rhino for when he kool-aid manned through a wall and accidentally killed a guard on a piece of rebar?

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
Please dear god don't drop Iron Fist for The Punisher. I thought part of the whole point was expanding the MCU, making "another" Punisher doesn't do that.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

Please dear god don't drop Iron Fist for The Punisher. I thought part of the whole point was expanding the MCU, making "another" Punisher doesn't do that.

Yeah I hope they don't either and I also hope this doesn't mean that Daredevil and Punisher are going to be friendly by the end of season 2 either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Zythrst posted:

Yeah I hope they don't either and I also hope this doesn't mean that Daredevil and Punisher are going to be friendly by the end of season 2 either.

Can't get the job done with your Catholic morality? Just call in the Punisher! It'd totally work.

But yeah, I really hope the rumor was baseless. Hopefully its just Marvel throwing around the idea because they're having trouble coming up with a season arc that'll include at least Luke, Jessica, or Matt. And won't be rather expensive like a good Immortal Weapons arc should be, what with K'un Lun at the least needing a bunch of sets and a bunch of VFX work needing to be done.

And Punisher is already slated (and cast, last I had read) to be in DD S2, so he's going to be introduced whether we want him or not. And they think he goes along better than Danny Rand will, what with how dark Netflix MCU is looking like its going to be. So silver screen MCU is big and flashy, ABC MCU is Shield/Inhumans, and NF MCU is street level and dark is how I think they're looking at the "main line" MCUs (not counting the Sony X-Men and FF universes).