Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

D_Smart posted:

He's not a creative visionary. There isn't anyone that I know in the industry that regards him as such. The disinformation comes from the usual Wing Commander hyperbole.
Much of that came from the press where Wing Commander's success cast a bit of a shadow over any other sci-fi combat sim.

The biggest hyperbole is that WC's success at a convention (where Roberts spooked people declaring Wing Commander was a reverse engineered Battle Hawks) forced LucasArts to create X-wing, but that mostly came about in part from the company only just getting the IP rights for Star Wars back and LucasArts already having a bit of a history in creating World War 2 flight sims kind of saw it as a no brainer to hire Totally Games to create something in the Star Wars universe.

The "visionary" title people got from that time is mostly down to being in the right place at the right time and publishers moving into the "make a top hit" mindset and promoting programmers front and center, many who became millionaires in months.

Molyneux is a classic example.
His first game Entrepreneur was him putting his know-how as a failed software businessman into a game and that failing so hard that it only sold two copies.
After forming Bullfrog his big hit Populus was a happy accident.

quote:

“The fact that I programmed it meant some of the fundamental things that programmers [Glenn Corpes] can do in their sleep I couldn’t do,” he said. A particular problem was getting the virtual people to navigate around walls rather than getting stuck. “I didn’t know how to do that. I tried to do it, tried to invent it myself and couldn’t and I thought ‘oh gently caress it, I’ll just get the player to solve the problem for me by raising and lowering the land’. That became the game’s fundamental mechanic. Pure and utter luck.

Remember these early developers started by forming their own software company off their own backs because no one would publish their ideas and when they became hits they were heralded in promotional materials and so on. However very few really survived by the end of the 90's and most have quietly retired or work in the background.

The Kickstarter resurgence fad is fascinating as you have to remember many of these older developers started out on budgets of $200,000 - $500,000 so in their mind they have already made a success in that ballpark and somewhat naively assume they can take a shortcut as there's complete game engines already out there - just hire a programmer and artist who will achieve your grand vision of the 21st century!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Apple Craft posted:

Star Citizen reminds me of Bitcoin.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Apple Craft posted:

Bullshit, motherfucker. I make all the unironically poo poo posts around here. :(

It's all yours brother

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
http://savid.technology

Wow, these space nerds never fail to impress.They really think this game is going to become reality.

What sad people.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone thinks that their arbitration clauses and no class action provisions won't hold, take a good read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/business/dealbook/arbitration-everywhere-stacking-the-deck-of-justice.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=0

A money quote

quote:

In 2014 alone, judges upheld class-action bans in 134 out of 162 cases

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

you've plugged your radio show for like 4/5ths of every post you've ever made since you registered, and you only registered a month ago. That's pretty lovely posting, shittier than me even. hth.

I know, I've been here for two years and I haven't plugged my radio show once.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Jesus, gently caress off and stop posting. You of all people don't get to sass other posters.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
hey a thing i don't get is why even nostalgia people still give two shits about wing commander

correct me if im wrong but we live in a universe where the x-wing series of games existed

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

What's your radio show?

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Cloud Imperium Games: £375
Roberts Space Industries: £375
Foundry 42: £750

Total Fines: £1500

I guess they don't care because that's less than two hours of income?

Thats only 51 Aurora MRs.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

kordansk posted:

What's your radio show?

My partner and I talk about home wine making. It's called Two Fruits Make a Wine.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
I'm really at a loss of how they keep generating MORE income every day. That means that the same shitlords are just buying more and more jpgs.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

My partner and I talk about home wine making. It's called Two Fruits Make a Wine.

You could have went Two Fruits Whining. Get some more word play.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

kordansk posted:

I'm really at a loss of how they keep generating MORE income every day. That means that the same shitlords are just buying more and more jpgs.

I for one give whatever little bit I can when I can

Been doing it for years

It's important to me

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

last but not least

otherwise, bravo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

WebDog posted:

Molyneux is a classic example.
His first game Entrepreneur was him putting his know-how as a failed software businessman into a game and that failing so hard that it only sold two copies.
After forming Bullfrog his big hit Populus was a happy accident.
Please tell the more correct and funnier version of that story, wherein he gave up on game design after his first game Entrepreneur failed so hard that it only sold two copies, then set up a company exporting baked beans to the Middle East - only returning after becoming a successful software businessman following Commodore mistaking his baked bean company for a software databasing one of vaguely similar name and asking him to code a database system for the Amiga.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

Please tell the more correct and funnier version of that story, wherein he gave up on game design after his first game Entrepreneur failed so hard that it only sold two copies, then set up a company exporting baked beans to the Middle East - only returning after becoming a successful software businessman following Commodore mistaking his baked bean company for a software databasing one of vaguely similar name and asking him to code a database system for the Amiga.

That...what.....how.....what?

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

kordansk posted:

You could have went Two Fruits Whining. Get some more word play.

That's pretty good too.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

I loving hate the ubiquitous Bootstrap framework. It's lazy, lazy, lazy.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

:eyepop: see, this is how you plug a show.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Incombibulator posted:

I believe you mean :gary: PAAAARPstrap? But yeah, I don't know why people don't customize it more.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Incombibulator posted:

Whoa hold on there buddy. Bootstrap is ubiquitous and is in fact lazy, but it allows sperglord programmer/non-designers with no money to make something that's functional, compatible and well-proportioned. Pre-bootstrap all this poo poo would have been geocities-tier dross, barely functional all-flash sites or worse. It's The Big Issue of website designs: they're still homeless but at least they're approaching professional.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

That's pretty good too.

I do what I can for as long as I can until none more can be done.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

chaosbreather posted:

Whoa hold on there buddy. Bootstrap is ubiquitous and is in fact lazy, but it allows sperglord programmer/non-designers with no money to make something that's functional, compatible and well-proportioned. Pre-bootstrap all this poo poo would have been geocities-tier dross, barely functional all-flash sites or worse. It's The Big Issue of website designs: they're still homeless but at least they're approaching professional.

Well, that's stupid. When you buy a car you build it yourself! You don't expect it all to be done for you and you just choose the paint.
Lazy.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Madcosby posted:

pre-ordering video games is the exact opposite of a sound decision

But I want to play as the Chaos Warriors in Total War Warhammer :smith:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Incombibulator posted:

Well, that's stupid. When you buy a car you build it yourself! You don't expect it all to be done for you and you just choose the paint.
Lazy.

I would download a car

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

WebDog posted:

The Kickstarter resurgence fad is fascinating as you have to remember many of these older developers started out on budgets of $200,000 - $500,000 so in their mind they have already made a success in that ballpark and somewhat naively assume they can take a shortcut as there's complete game engines already out there - just hire a programmer and artist who will achieve your grand vision of the 21st century!

It's not all bad, I am thoroughly enjoying all of the space games coming out that have been conceived, developed, and released since the SC mania began.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

hahaha

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Young Freud posted:

I recall when Ortwin wrote his demand letter to the Escapist that he CCed two lawyers, one of which it turned out was handling Foundry 42's business specifically with the British regulations like the Companies House. They literally have people working on it, but the fact that nothing is done means they were hired to stonewall the regulators, as well as advise them to paying the fines since it's cheaper to do that than disclose their entire operation.

That speaks wonderfully to their long term plans. Anyone stonewalling regulators is surely doing legal things and making sure their entire operation is completely clear and easy to follow.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 2, 2015

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Dapper Dan posted:

That speaks wonderfully to their long term plans. Anyone stonewalling regulators is surely doing legal things and making sure their entire operation is completely clear.

After the dust settles there had better be some kind of tragic breakdown of where the money went.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I learned the reason Goons aren't supporting the game anymore, is because we were trying to manipulate CIG into making the game a certain way and they told us "No."

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Jimb posted:

After the dust settles there had better be some kind of tragic breakdown of where the money went.

Enron provided content for a lot of documentaries. No doubt SC will provide some pretty entertaining media in the future.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

I still subscribe because the puzzlebox tells me to.

Star Citizen.... you're playing right now.
I tried unsuccessfully to find somewhere clearly on the RSI website where it explains that you only need a basic package, and that the rest of the ships are available for free in game.

There is a lot of misinformation in chat and on the forums when potential backers start asking questions about which ship to buy etc.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
I definitely expect to see miscategorized leases (which would reduce liabilities), capitalized costs (reduces expenses), and delayed reporting of returns (which would also explain some of CIG's ire with Beer) in the findings of any investigations of CIG's finances.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

BigMouthSingers posted:

I tried unsuccessfully to find somewhere clearly on the RSI website where it explains that you only need a basic package, and that the rest of the ships are available for free in game.

There is a lot of misinformation in chat and on the forums when potential backers start asking questions about which ship to buy etc.

Found your problem.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

kordansk posted:

Two Fruits Whining.

Holy poo poo.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

BluestreakBTHR posted:

:lurkmore:

BluestreakBTHR posted:

#IAmAGoon

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Unfunny Poster posted:

Today I learned the reason Goons aren't supporting the game anymore, is because we were trying to manipulate CIG into making the game a certain way and they told us "No."

if that certain way was complete in the next decade, then yes

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

RedTonic posted:

I definitely expect to see miscategorized leases (which would reduce liabilities), capitalized costs (reduces expenses), and delayed reporting of returns (which would also explain some of CIG's ire with Beer) in the findings of any investigations of CIG's finances.

I'm expecting to see obfuscation of what is actually going on with unusual transactions between the companies. There may be a number of off balance sheet activities that probably aren't supposed to be off balance sheet. Having less money than they're supposed to or significantly more than they're supposed to would be quite interesting.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

if that certain way was complete in the next decade, then yes
If they ever completed the game it would still look like this :gary:

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

:gary:

• Locked thread