Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
I need a bookmarking service that work across different devices and browsers.

However, after having googled and browsed around a bit it is obvious that there is an ocean of possibilities.
One thing I already know is that I'm not interested in any social features.

Right now I use a combination of browser-bookmarks, feedly-saves and facebook-bookmarks.

What do you use and why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pioneermax
May 25, 2003
Remember, you are not a salmon
Chrome syncs them across every device I use, so I use that

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I use pocket and am happy with that. They have a plugin for pretty much every device out there. I can pull up something I saved for later on my phone, you can tag entries for quick search. All in all it works well for me.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I switched to pinboard awhile ago and have been happy with it. I switched because I was tired of trying to keep my bookmarks synced/organized between chrome and safari.

I have about 500 bookmarks. I imported them all into pinboard and spent some time going through and tagging them with general topics like programming/school/recipes/software ect. Then I deleted all my bookmarks from my browser to force myself to use pinboard, except for a few sites I visit frequently I kept on the bookmark bar. It took some getting used to but I like it a lot better than my previous solutions of just using the browser and a million folders. The tagging system is really nice and makes it easier to find bookmarks on a topic, I've been using my bookmarks a lot more now because I can just search for a tag and older bookmarks that I forgot about pop up. It also integrates with pocket and RSS feeds.

It's $11/ year for an account but I think it's worth it. There are also iOS/android apps for it but I haven't tried any out yet.

If you decide to try it out I use a few of the bookmarklets from here: https://shawnblanc.net/2013/09/pinboard-guide/

e: there is a social feature where you can search other people's bookmarks by tag but it's optional. I have all my bookmarks set to private and never use that feature.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 2, 2015

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Jarl posted:

What do you use and why?

Chrome, because I use Chrome on my PCs and Android device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devilwu
Feb 4, 2015

dangling pointer posted:

I switched to pinboard awhile ago and have been happy with it. I switched because I was tired of trying to keep my bookmarks synced/organized between chrome and safari.

I have about 500 bookmarks. I imported them all into pinboard and spent some time going through and tagging them with general topics like programming/school/recipes/software ect. Then I deleted all my bookmarks from my browser to force myself to use pinboard, except for a few sites I visit frequently I kept on the bookmark bar. It took some getting used to but I like it a lot better than my previous solutions of just using the browser and a million folders. The tagging system is really nice and makes it easier to find bookmarks on a topic, I've been using my bookmarks a lot more now because I can just search for a tag and older bookmarks that I forgot about pop up. It also integrates with pocket and RSS feeds.

It's $11/ year for an account but I think it's worth it. There are also iOS/android apps for it but I haven't tried any out yet.

If you decide to try it out I use a few of the bookmarklets from here: https://shawnblanc.net/2013/09/pinboard-guide/

e: there is a social feature where you can search other people's bookmarks by tag but it's optional. I have all my bookmarks set to private and never use that feature.

What's different from Pocket? Seems that Pocket can do the same thing.

• Locked thread