Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

I can't wait for all the indie games 1-2 years from now, made by ex-CIG people who got an up close & personal lesson about making a game with achievable roadmaps and reasonable goals.

wyoak posted:

I like that he authored an sph fluid simulation for a loving mini-game, seems like a solid use of smartguy's time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

the good thing I could say about CIG's restructuring/culling/layoffs is that good programmers/developers/artists goes to good companies

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haha sure citizens, dont stop believing that the austin office is dead.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Cloud Imperium Games: £375
Roberts Space Industries: £375
Foundry 42: £750

Total Fines: £1500

I guess they don't care because that's less than two hours of income?

Yes. They would rather pay fines, break the law etc, than reveal ANY of this company's finances. And somehow, this is all OK with some people.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

SirPhoebos posted:

Wait, is he by any chance related to James Nguyen of Birdemic fame?

What in the world makes you think that

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Opal posted:

What in the world makes you think that

he is a familynamecist

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Considering how janky the physics have been in every star citizen demo ever I think physics programmers is something they need to not be getting rid of right now.

Bet the guy doodling the next jpeg for sale still has a job.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

oh my god why does this exist

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

This. This is the screenshot where I gave up.

Holy poo poo this is a joke and sometimes I forget and think 'well maybe' but then nope, there it is again in all its idiotic drink-mixing glory reminding me just how dumb this whole thing is.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

I can't wait for all the indie games 1-2 years from now, made by ex-CIG people who got an up close & personal lesson about making a game with achievable roadmaps and reasonable goals.

I dunno why they'd think people would be interested in that when they could have this instead.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
"Hairy Roberts" for 5G

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Work in the game so you can afford the fuel for your space jpegs

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Nickiepoo posted:

Holy poo poo this is a joke and sometimes I forget and think 'well maybe' but then nope, there it is again in all its idiotic drink-mixing glory reminding me just how dumb this whole thing is.

The one where movies are still on physical media in the distant future and that they have to be swapped for the space passengers is even worse. How does that get through any kind of design meeting without someone slamming on the brakes and saying a minigame of changing movies out for people is not fun?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The existence of a drink mixing minigame isn't what bothers me.

What bothers me is that the drink mixing minigame was implemented before the base game even existed. That just screams bad project management, a needless focus on minutiae while ignoring the big picture.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Klyith posted:

I just noticed that one of the drinks is called a "Hairy Roberts"
How did this get past Sandi?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Nickiepoo posted:

Yea, that whole schtick about the mini games and occupation stuff was what finally confirmed that if there is an actual MMO part, it will be filled with the most profound un-fun tedious bullshit bad design we've ever seen in a game.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Renegret posted:

What bothers me is that the drink mixing minigame was implemented before the base game even existed. That just screams bad project management, a needless focus on minutiae while ignoring the big picture.

What makes you think it is implemented any more than any other concept art existing outside of CR's hallucinations?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hamburger Test posted:

What makes you think it is implemented any more than any other concept art existing outside of CR's hallucinations?

so its just like the rest of the game

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yes, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It's a JPEG of a drink mixing game. Not a drink mixing game, a JPEG of one.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Renegret posted:

None of this is implemented, it's all design plans.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The hilarious part is that the link to this video in those comments, is one of those they removed since my blogs hit. Good thing we have it stored locally.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/1mzje7/so_sandi_posted_this_on_her_facebook_page/cce3c5l

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
e:f;b

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hamburger Test posted:

I mean I could be wrong, but it sounds like this guy put enough effort into it to put it on his resume.

Granted he could've put only an hour and a half of effort into it but still

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

DreadLlama posted:

Hahaha Karl you're an idiot and everyone knows it. Please post a selfie. I want to laugh in your face.

lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Wait, is he by any chance related to James Nguyen of Birdemic fame?

Nguyen is like the Smith or the Jones of the Vietnamese surnames list.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

2DCAT posted:

Because thanks to Sandi's efforts, it doesn't exist (much like this game).

Also, someone needs to hack the gibson and change the sound the drink dispenser makes to :gary: PAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRP!

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro
Hello friends, when is the show starting? Also I looked through 2015's WARN report for Texas and did not spot anything on CIG. Shouldn't they be in it if they're closing studios down?

quote:

Under certain circumstances, the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification (WARN) Act requires you to provide notice 60 days in advance of plant closures or mass layoffs. The WARN Act is intended to offer protection to workers, their families and communities.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Renegret posted:

It sells jpegs, all part of the plan.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Amun Khonsu fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 2, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

2DCAT posted:

Rumor has it Sandi had a kid fired because she didn't like the labeling on an ingame asset he made.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Wafflz posted:

The one where movies are still on physical media in the distant future and that they have to be swapped for the space passengers is even worse. How does that get through any kind of design meeting without someone slamming on the brakes and saying a minigame of changing movies out for people is not fun?

The disk changing was also dumb but somehow my mind can rationalise it like it does for the hacking minigames from Deus Ex (for example). There's something about mixing drinks, getting judged on 'quality' and having more drinks 'waiting' in the queue that just makes my brain go :gary: PAAAAAAAAAAAAARP

Gwaihir posted:

it will be filled with the most profound un-fun tedious bullshit bad design we've ever seen in a game.

MMOs are already the champions of that too so this is really saying something.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MeLKoR posted:

Rumor has it Sandi had a kid fired because she didn't like the labeling on an ingame asset he made.

The funny thing is that in the internal game files there was a ton of comments and stuff written as if SC was part of the Wing Commander universe. "Confed" hornet, etc.

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

wyoak posted:

this guy sounds smart, maybe he left the company on his own, chasing the dragon of another kickstarted project
I like that he authored an sph fluid simulation for a loving mini-game, seems like a solid use of smartguy's time

Better hope that cup is the only thing being rendered at the time... I tried out the PhysX Flex fluid demo and it's really demanding.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've been trying to follow along, but what is "parrrrrrrrp"? The sound of Gary Oldman's lips, or what?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Tsyni posted:

I've been trying to follow along, but what is "parrrrrrrrp"? The sound of Gary Oldman's lips, or what?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpyingiCwV8

:gary: paaaaaaaaaaaaaarp

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

AP posted:

ASCENT’S LEAD DEV OFFERS INSIGHT ON THE STAR CITIZEN CONTROVERSY

Another Star Citizen auditor.

Hey Karl, I'm no expert but given that
A: - You said here on SA that you no money in and you have a RSI Space Marshal account
and
B:- You said you weren't that crazy reddit Star Citizen auditor who was trying to troll me from there of all lovely places.

I'm going to go with
C:- You're a nut. :gary:
The auditor bit really clinches matters.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Renegret posted:

I mean I could be wrong, but it sounds like this guy put enough effort into it to put it on his resume.

Granted he could've put only an hour and a half of effort into it but still

I have no idea whether the fluid dynamics minigame is the drinks mixer or not. It could be something completely different.

But it's an intriguing possibility that some programmer spent a bunch of time making the space-liner drink game have realistic liquid simulation because Chris was like "NO NO NO I want those drinks to spill REALISTICALLY when the pilot maneuvers wildly at the same time you're pouring a Hairy Roberts!"

Nickiepoo posted:

MMOs are already the champions of that too so this is really saying something.

MMOs are tedious because of extreme repetition by players. Star Citizen is designed to be tedious from the first experience.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tsyni posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR5Pgq0A3M4&list=LLiuVX2traAHMLPX_zTLWRsw&index=9

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Instead of reinventing the wheel with an Incredible And Revolutionary Space Flight Attendant Cocktail Mixer minigame, couldn't they just license a custom version of Cook Serve Delicious? That game's actually fun and exists, and CryEngine's such a resource hog that nobody will notice any extra performance decrease from stapling a Gamemaker game to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Klyith posted:

I have no idea whether the fluid dynamics minigame is the drinks mixer or not. It could be something completely different.

But it's an intriguing possibility that some programmer spent a bunch of time making the space-liner drink game have realistic liquid simulation because Chris was like "NO NO NO I want those drinks to spill REALISTICALLY when the pilot maneuvers wildly at the same time you're pouring a Hairy Roberts!"

I'm assuming this for comedy

• Locked thread