Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The first episode was incredible, way past my expectations. I almost feel like I don't want to watch the rest of the season, and instead marathon it all at once when it's over. The 30 minute episodes aren't going to be nearly long enough to watch once a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Alehkhs posted:

I'm terrible at this, but I figured as long as I was looking at the flowerpots, I could try and make an avatar:

Someone can probably do this better than I. v:shobon:v

Here are two slightly slower versions. :shrug:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 1, 2015

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Loved the first episode. Yeah, some of the CGI stuff was a little iffy, but it doesn't bother me too much. Still had a lot of fun with it. I'm a little worried about the dude who did Silent Hill: Revelation (ugh, that loving movie) directing the next episode, though. But, whatever. Glad to have Ash back after all these years.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Yes, some of the blood was CG, but did you guys see the little behind the scenes feature that aired after the episode? Where they talked about using real fake blood? Or any of the interviews leading up to the show where they talked about using real fake blood more than using CG blood?

So many people complaining about all of the CG blood, when most of it wasn't.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Reading TVIV, I always feel blessed to be one of the rare people who doesn't notice "bad" CGI unless it's glaringly 90's quality terrible. I suspect my gift is much less rare outside of people who post on an Internet subforum about television shows.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I still don't like that it's only 30 minutes. That, and whenever Evil Dead is in a different medium (and Sam Raimi is either not involved or only barely involved) I feel like the plot is kind of lost and aping Raimi's style is hard and doesn't work well. Also, they should let Bruce Campbell direct a few episodes. And they could incorporate some time travel stuff if random wormholes into other times can exist, I could see a 2 parter or something where they go to the wild west or something as a switch.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Honestly the only really glaring stuff is when they do some of the on camera headshots. The one the cop delivered looked pretty bad.

Other than that it really is a shame that Raimi won't be coming back. You'd think they'd get a few more episodes out of him at least. It just sucks for whoever comes afterwards because he's so kinetic as a filmmaker.

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer
Already picked up for season two:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/showtracker/la-et-st-ash-vs-evil-dead-already-picked-up-for-second-season-20151028-story.html

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you were watching this and not hooting and hollering when that guy got thrown into the antlers or when Ash's shotgun flew up from that secret compartment then you are probably not in the right headspace to enjoy this show. Otherwise it was amazing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Alehkhs posted:

I wish that's what it was, because it would have made it much easier to gif.

Aww darn. I guess I made up my own joke. :(

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Deakul posted:

They don't have the rights to anything pertaining to Army of Darkness so they can't mention anything about it sadly.

They can reference the end of Evil Dead 2, however, in which Ash has traveled back in time and killed a demon in front of a bunch of knights.

Canned Panda posted:

So many people complaining about all of the CG blood, when most of it wasn't.

I didn't say it was all CG, it's just that it's noticeable when they use it and CGI blood always looks terrible.

That's not a dealbreaker by any stretch for the show, of course. But what else are we going to talk about while waiting for another episode?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Jamesman posted:

Aww darn. I guess I made up my own joke. :(

Kinda like my third marriage.

Random Stranger posted:

But what else are we going to talk about while waiting for another episode?

How long do we have to wait for some Ted Raimi? At the Q&A at Comiccon Sam claimed he'd have to wait until season 2 for Ted. Can I wait that long, we gotta have that Ted acting extravaganza

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
One thing I liked cgi wise was that they used it to remove Bruce's hand instead of the old standard where they just make the sleeve longer or whatever.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Heavy Metal posted:

From some earlier pictures of the show They end up at a Renaissance fair it looks like. I bet some jokes/references may occur.

"I'm getting the strangest feeling of deja vu...."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Fun fact for anyone that's also a Craig Ferguson fan, the female lead is Hot Berh from Standards and Practices/The Talking Rhino

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pwnstar posted:

If you were watching this and not hooting and hollering when that guy got thrown into the antlers or when Ash's shotgun flew up from that secret compartment then you are probably not in the right headspace to enjoy this show. Otherwise it was amazing.

I was laughing at the baby doll because it was a such a Sam Raimi "why the hell not?" moment. There was no reason for the Evil to possess a little doll, but it did just because. Also the parking lot shot where they did the old Ram-o-Cam from the original movies made me feel all warm and fuzzy, like I was really watching a new Evil Dead thing.

Already saw that shotgun moment in the trailer so it was kind of spoiled, still pretty awesome besides. I'm just not absolutely gushing over it, but maybe it's just me :shrug:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
First episode: :perfect:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

BJPaskoff posted:

Reading TVIV, I always feel blessed to be one of the rare people who doesn't notice "bad" CGI unless it's glaringly 90's quality terrible. I suspect my gift is much less rare outside of people who post on an Internet subforum about television shows.

I'm with you, if they do it for whatever reason and it looks hokey, who cares it's low budget. It's evil dead not star wars.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Yeah, CGI blood is mostly during the heavy duty effects like heads being blown/cut off. But really that CGI doll was faaaaar worse looking.

That being said...that's exactly what a modern Evil Dead should have: incredibly cheesy special effects that are realistic when they have to be, and just goddamned goofy looking the rest of the time.

I give the premiere 5 Groovys out of 5.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The cgi was pretty bad. Everything else was great.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

I was laughing at the baby doll because it was a such a Sam Raimi "why the hell not?" moment. There was no reason for the Evil to possess a little doll, but it did just because. Also the parking lot shot where they did the old Ram-o-Cam from the original movies made me feel all warm and fuzzy, like I was really watching a new Evil Dead thing.

Already saw that shotgun moment in the trailer so it was kind of spoiled, still pretty awesome besides. I'm just not absolutely gushing over it, but maybe it's just me :shrug:

The doll scene was a great homage to the "Little Ash's" in AoD especially when Ash started bashing his own head to kill her. :allears:

And was I the only one who got serious Abbie Mills vibes from the cop? Something about her hair and the way she held her gun. I guess she picked up some stuff from her time on Sleepy Hollow (she was Irving's wife).

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I honestly justified the Doll CGI as well, its a doll, it's not supposed to look real, it's supposed to look like a doll. That whole sequence is what sold the show for me.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I enjoyed it a lot but it was pure Evil Dead fan fiction. Like, the scene where he's struggling to get to the chainsaw. He doesn't NEED it to fight the Deaddites, he could hit them with anything; it's just an elaborate gag to reunite him with the fan favourite. That's fine ... in ep one.

I hope the entire show won't just be a series of 'Remember when Bruce Campbell did this thing...' Hopefully the show will find its own voice and expand on the series.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
I'm cracking up all over again thinking of Ash going back to loving that lady in the bathroom after seeing the demon, but now completely terrified and looking over his shoulder constantly.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Zsinjeh posted:

I'm cracking up all over again thinking of Ash going back to loving that lady in the bathroom after seeing the demon, but now completely terrified and looking over his shoulder constantly.

I loved him yelling you like my wood as he's spanking her with his wooden hand. I was giggling the entire time during it, definitely loved it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

frozenpeas posted:

I enjoyed it a lot but it was pure Evil Dead fan fiction. Like, the scene where he's struggling to get to the chainsaw. He doesn't NEED it to fight the Deaddites, he could hit them with anything; it's just an elaborate gag to reunite him with the fan favourite. That's fine ... in ep one.

I hope the entire show won't just be a series of 'Remember when Bruce Campbell did this thing...' Hopefully the show will find its own voice and expand on the series.

The only things that took me out of the show were the spinning axe and the thrown chainsaw. I thought they were too corny. Mostly though, I expected them to end in some cheap cringe-worthy slapstick (the axe hitting the girl with the blunt end, the chainsaw missing his wrist coupling) and that took me out of it more than the finished product.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zsinjeh posted:

I like how the whole visiting a dive bar and not be able to get top shelf women shows how he's even worse off than in the movies.

Plus still working retail in his 50s.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

BJPaskoff posted:

The only things that took me out of the show were the spinning axe and the thrown chainsaw. I thought they were too corny. Mostly though, I expected them to end in some cheap cringe-worthy slapstick (the axe hitting the girl with the blunt end, the chainsaw missing his wrist coupling) and that took me out of it more than the finished product.

No Ash is a loser unless it's combat. He did survive the evil dead for that reason, also luck.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

frozenpeas posted:

I enjoyed it a lot but it was pure Evil Dead fan fiction.

If fans write as good as Raimi and co. here, I'd be happy to read it. Having some nods that fans will love doesn't equal "pure fan fiction". Just delivering the goods to satisfy fans, and to satisfy Raimi himself.

etalian posted:

I like how the whole visiting a dive bar and not be able to get top shelf women shows how he's even worse off than in the movies.

Plus still working retail in his 50s.

I feel like we watched a different show. He's the king, in his way.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 2, 2015

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

BJPaskoff posted:

Haha I was expecting the exact same thing both times.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

If corny is the new word for insanely awesome, I'll have some popcorn and corn on the cob, with some cornbread and tortilla chips.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
The one thing I thought was missing was ash's evil hand. I wanted him to have kept it in a cage like some kind of demented pet.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

If you don't get Starz (and haven't already seen it through unofficial channels, I guess) the official Ash vs Evil Dead Facebook page posted the full pilot episode for free.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
That was super rad. Kinda disappointing Raimi isn't gonna pull a Soderbergh and direct the whole season but as long as he stays involved as a writer / producer I have a lot of faith this will manage to keep up the pilot's quality.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Echoing the "that ruled in every way it should have" sentiment. Exactly what an Evil Dead TV show should be, can't wait for more. Deadites are back because he got stoned and read the book to get laid. Awesome.

I can't believe we're actually getting this show.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thrawn527 posted:

Echoing the "that ruled in every way it should have" sentiment. Exactly what an Evil Dead TV show should be, can't wait for more. Deadites are back because he got stoned and read the book to get laid.

The best part were the sticky notes. Why did he have it translated? Why didn't he already have the passage to undo it written down too? Why would he keep it in an easily accessible trunk in the first place?

The answers to all these questions, and more, is "Ash."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What do you want to bet that the "hero of legend" is the cop, and Ash is going to dick that all up?

Vastarien posted:

Loved the first episode. Yeah, some of the CGI stuff was a little iffy, but it doesn't bother me too much. Still had a lot of fun with it. I'm a little worried about the dude who did Silent Hill: Revelation (ugh, that loving movie) directing the next episode, though. But, whatever. Glad to have Ash back after all these years.

I'd be more worried if it was written by the guy who did Silent Hill: Revelation. The direction wasn't bad, but what the gently caress are you going to do when the script says "Silent Hill is a lot like Mortal Kombat since it's a game, let's have Pyramid Head boss-battle as a good guy, that'd be awesome."

It honestly wasn't incompetently shot. The look of the movie (aside from a poo poo budget) wasn't terrible. I'll give the guy a shot.

After all, I'm kind of glad people stopped blaming David Fincher for the piece of poo poo Alien 3 turned into. There was only so much polishing of a turd that could be done from behind the camera.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I so want a gif of that light bulb scene

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Blazing Ownager posted:

What do you want to bet that the "hero of legend" is the cop, and Ash is going to dick that all up?

I'd be more worried if it was written by the guy who did Silent Hill: Revelation. The direction wasn't bad, but what the gently caress are you going to do when the script says "Silent Hill is a lot like Mortal Kombat since it's a game, let's have Pyramid Head boss-battle as a good guy, that'd be awesome."

It honestly wasn't incompetently shot. The look of the movie (aside from a poo poo budget) wasn't terrible. I'll give the guy a shot.

After all, I'm kind of glad people stopped blaming David Fincher for the piece of poo poo Alien 3 turned into. There was only so much polishing of a turd that could be done from behind the camera.

It's worth noting that Michael J. Bassett became one of the key directors on later seasons of Strike Back, so we should theoretically be in good hands. The other directors for the season are Spartacus vets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Coming from someone who has not seen any of the Evil Dead movies I can objectively say that was awesome. Way over the top which I expected based upon what people have said of Sam Raimi's movies, and I was not disappointed. I think it's going to be a fun show, and now I have to go and watch the movies to get some more context.

• Locked thread