Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qZUwn3yIhw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXbvryh46Is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

wyoak posted:

this guy sounds smart, maybe he left the company on his own, chasing the dragon of another kickstarted project
I like that he authored an sph fluid simulation for a loving mini-game, seems like a solid use of smartguy's time

So this is the guy that is the brains behind Space Bartender?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

Hey guys it looks like there's a new project coming up that we should all get behind. :gary:
This is the greatest thing to ever happen. :pray:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah there was a little pause where he scrunched up his nose all funny and you could almost see him readjusting his worldview to allow for the existence of dudes like me. Admittedly he was super cool about it, I half expected him to call me a homo or something. Florida rednecks aren't exactly the most accepting type.

And I mean I totally get it too. I'm an adult male belting out Taylor Swift lyrics in an audience that had to have been at least 85% made up of 13 year old girls. I very much felt like a fish out of water, and probably would have looked at me a little funny if I was him, too. But I'm really glad I was brave enough to go, the concert was unreal. They gave everybody these wristbands as we walked in, but didn't tell us what they were for, so we assumed they were some sort of tracking thing to keep us out of the parts of the stadium we weren't allowed to go in or something. It turns out they all had LEDs in them and they were programmed to the music or something, so the very first time the bass hit the entire stadium of like 55,000 people lit up in this huge light show. It was really cool.

gently caress the haters I love Shake it Off.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Every aspect of consumer spaceflight will be meticulously simulated via a series of minigames. The flight attendants will be playing DDR clones to give out flight safety instructions, change the laserdiscs in the entertainment center or blow the co-pilot in the space-lav. The cattle class will grind XP by doing endless crosswords to distract themselves from fantasising about killing themselves and/or the kid kicking the back of their moon-seat. The pilot will have to divert his attention between manning the ship controls keep the ship from crashing into the sun, and completing random, sudden QTEs in order to not pass out in agony after eating some bad seafood.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tsyni posted:

I've been trying to follow along, but what is "parrrrrrrrp"? The sound of Gary Oldman's lips, or what?

the original parp.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Renegret posted:

The existence of a drink mixing minigame isn't what bothers me.

What bothers me is that the drink mixing minigame was implemented before the base game even existed. That just screams bad project management, a needless focus on minutiae while ignoring the big picture.

Polishing the brass on the Titanic before it even hit the water.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Raticus79 posted:

Better hope that cup is the only thing being rendered at the time... I tried out the PhysX Flex fluid demo and it's really demanding.
You know how in HHGttG Arthur asks for tea and the on-board computer freezes? That's the Star Citizen way.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Oh please reddit bot, don't take these beautiful jpegs away!

Sedisp posted:

gently caress the haters I love Shake it Off.

same.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
We all know that Full Burn is the greatest power ballad in the universe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toxh4i3ZEqQ

But there are other power ballads that are not lovely. What's your favorite?

My contribution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmWE9UBFwtY

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Truga posted:

Yes, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. It's a JPEG of a drink mixing game. Not a drink mixing game, a JPEG of one.

A JPEG practically counts as shipped in the verse

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

My contribution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmWE9UBFwtY

I'm not sure it counts as a power ballad, but how can you not love this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ateQQc-AgEM

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iron Tusk posted:

In case anyone thinks that their arbitration clauses and no class action provisions won't hold, take a good read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/01/business/dealbook/arbitration-everywhere-stacking-the-deck-of-justice.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=0

A money quote

It's interesting that this article just hit. We were having the same discussions with legal some time in Aug about the chances of a class action being shut down and shoved to arbitration and whether or not it was even worth wasting time on a class action suit.

However, in the case of Star Citizen, since it involves some serious allegations that go beyond overcharges, not to mention the key issue being that it's crowd-funded, the attorneys feel that it has very good chances of surviving a class action challenge. And even if it didn't, going to arbitration will yield the same results we are seeking: financial accountability for over $94m in backer money.

Plus, if nothing else, it will most definitely cause the FTC and FBI to speed up whatever it is they're supposed to be doing to help find out where all this money went.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Battletech Kickstarter got fully funded at 2.5million. Here's the email about it:

quote:

You did it!
So what happens now that the project has passed $2,500,000? Will we add additional funding goals and make the game even larger in scope?
No.

:drat: Masterstroke right there.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Klyith posted:

I have no idea whether the fluid dynamics minigame is the drinks mixer or not. It could be something completely different.
Oh it could be a completely different waste of time and money that has nothing to do with making the spaceship flying and shooting game that they're supposed to be making.

That's certainly reassuring!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thronde posted:

Battletech Kickstarter got fully funded at 2.5million. Here's the email about it:

Hahaha :perfect:

Then again someone posted earlier that this guy has run successful kickstarters before and never added more and more stretch goals because he's not a moron.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I have power R&B in space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P4A1K4lXDo

:gary:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I want some of this person's drugs.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SneakyFrog posted:

yeah i'm in FL as well, dont have to tell me about those folks. crazy.

The I4 corridor is usually safe-ish. it's when you stray into Brevard, Polk or Lake you have to worry.

Word to FLGoons.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

It's interesting that this article just hit. We were having the same discussions with legal some time in Aug about the chances of a class action being shut down and shoved to arbitration and whether or not it was even worth wasting time on a class action suit.

However, in the case of Star Citizen, since it involves some serious allegations that go beyond overcharges, not to mention the key issue being that it's crowd-funded, the attorneys feel that it has very good chances of surviving a class action challenge. And even if it didn't, going to arbitration will yield the same results we are seeking: financial accountability for over $94m in backer money.

Plus, if nothing else, it will most definitely cause the FTC and FBI to speed up whatever it is they're supposed to be doing to help find out where all this money went.

The FBI is involved? So the Swedish Meatball Mafia angle might have some legs?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Hahaha :perfect:

Then again someone posted earlier that this guy has run successful kickstarters before and never added more and more stretch goals because he's not a moron.

It's a big part of their success. They know what to release, how long it will take, and when to stop. Plus most of the asset based stretch stuff is in the parallel missions for things like more mercenary companies or a bigger book. I just upped my pledge to $50 now that they hit Multi-player.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Furious Mittens posted:

The FBI is involved? So the Swedish Meatball Mafia angle might have some legs?

FBI=Federal Bureau of Images

The department tasked to check on dubious jpegs

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
AdzAdama is a living legend

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Im_drunk posted:

Hello friends, when is the show starting? Also I looked through 2015's WARN report for Texas and did not spot anything on CIG. Shouldn't they be in it if they're closing studios down?

the WARN Act posted:

A WARN notice is required when a business with more
than100 full-time workers (not counting workers who
have less than 6 months on the job and workers who
work fewer than 20 hours per week) is laying off at least
50 people at a single site of employment (see glossary
and FAQs), or employs 100 or more workers who
work at least a combined 4,000 hours per week, and is
a private for-profit business, private non-profit organization,
or quasi-public entity separately organized from
regular government.

I believe that Austin was around 50? if their numbers dipped below that, they wouldn't have to give notice. They'd also be excluded on the basis of consolidating or changing the places of business.

http://www.doleta.gov/layoff/pdf/EmployerWARN09_2003.pdf

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Klyith posted:

I can't wait for all the indie games 1-2 years from now, made by ex-CIG people who got an up close & personal lesson about making a game with achievable roadmaps and reasonable goals.

Thronde posted:

Yeah, it's really worth highlighting yet again what a well-run campaign the BATTLETECH kickstarter has been.

quote:

So what happens now that the project has passed $2,500,000? Will we add additional funding goals and make the game even larger in scope?

No.

As we said in our first Live Stream Twitch Q&A session, after Stage 4 is unlocked, additional funding will go towards polishing the features and content we’ve already committed to.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thronde posted:

Harebrained Schemes are great.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:gary:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbmAs1pFQM0&t=20s:yarg:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Klyith posted:

I can't wait for all the indie games 1-2 years from now, made by ex-CIG people who got an up close & personal lesson about making a game with achievable roadmaps and reasonable goals.

The craziest part about this mixing minigame is that so much of the full version of the game is required in place for it to serve any purpose

-They have to build the ship that basically a passenger plane (it's just a jpg right now)
-They have to make the ship flyable
-They have to have multi-crew in for the many seats inside
-They have to program NPCs that actually want a place to go
-They have to program NPCs to have individual demands
-They have to program ability to travel from star system to star system
-They have to program places to land
-They have to program a way to drop off and load NPCs
-They have to have a working economy to insert pricing

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I bet with 99% certainty that Chris Roberts was getting drunk on an upper-deck business class flight when he came up with that idea. Then fired off an email to MAKE IT HAPPEN immediately upon landing.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
What is it about this 'game' that doing fake service jobs for fake in game currency is considered fun and interesting compared to real life service jobs that make you real life money.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

LCL-Dead posted:

You would lose.

I emailed them last Thursday and included a note that I was going to begin an investigation through paypal if they did not answer up and acknowledge my emails by COB Friday.

Still nothing back. Looks like I'm going to go through paypal, which sucks for them. Paypal has something like $600 spent on it whereas the account itself, at the moment, is only worth about tree fiddy.

This makes me sad for you, since I remember you to be a cool goon ITT. :( Also, because they processed my refund, like, in a snap. Although it is true that they did this literally 2 days before The Escapist article and mass dramabomb hit them, so given Sandi's started reading SA thread after all that yea...could've had a hand in this.

Please keep posting about what's up. And if it ever gets to a point where you legit feel CIG's hosed you over some cash and you're afraid of bringing it up well...come drop a certain TS sometime and we can talk about it. Tree fiddy ain't all that much, but still. :)

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Madcosby posted:

The craziest part about this mixing minigame is that so much of the full version of the game is required in place for it to serve any purpose

-They have to build the ship that basically a passenger plane (it's just a jpg right now)
-They have to make the ship flyable
-They have to have multi-crew in for the many seats inside
-They have to program NPCs that actually want a place to go
-They have to program NPCs to have individual demands
-They have to program ability to travel from star system to star system
-They have to program places to land
-They have to program a way to drop off and load NPCs
-They have to have a working economy to insert pricing

Ahh, but don't forget that the last time the passenger ship came up that in addition to the drink mixing minigame, you could also show your NPC passengers movies. Movies which are items that are found/bought/acquired in game. The quality and apparent varienty of said movies somehow ties into that last point in determining how much money you make for ferrying NPCs.

So more stuff to code.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Snazzy Frocks posted:

What is it about this 'game' that doing fake service jobs for fake in game currency is considered fun and interesting compared to real life service jobs that make you real life money.

True believers see no distinction between real life and the game

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Madcosby posted:

no I'm pretty sure the craziest part about the drink mixing minigame is that somebody thought "a drink mixing minigame, that's a good and fun idea"

e:

Madcosby posted:

True believers see no distinction between real life and the game
but many of them don't have jobs in real life either

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Klyith posted:

no I'm pretty sure the craziest part about the drink mixing minigame is that somebody thought "a drink mixing minigame, that's a good and fun idea"

e:

but many of them don't have jobs in real life either

hey wanna shoot some spaceships down?

nah, I gotta serve drinks on a 4 hour desert bus simulator in space. maybe next time

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Klyith posted:

Cook Serve Delicious was good and fun. A game in that vein about being a sleazy-rear end bartender making cocktails with absurd names for absurd people would also be good and fun if treated with the levity it deserves. :colbert:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
things we can rule out being announced for star citizen #5934: a race-mixing minigame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

CrazyLoon posted:

so given Sandi's started reading SA thread after all that yea...could've had a hand in this.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't read the thread, can't see her landing a big role doing that. I believe Karl just emails her things that concern him, like the screenshot of that radio guy who's been flipping out about it ever since.

• Locked thread