Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nordick posted:

I'd say that's not totally uncalled for, considering that he's literally one of the strongest men in the entire world.

It's not so much strength, though. Mariusz Pudzianowski won the World's Strongest Man competition five times, and had a pretty underwhelming career in MMA. The issue here is more that Hafthor outweighs the other guy by at least 200 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

ultrafilter posted:

It's not so much strength, though. Mariusz Pudzianowski won the World's Strongest Man competition five times, and had a pretty underwhelming career in MMA. The issue here is more that Hafthor outweighs the other guy by at least 200 lbs.

That's nearly a quarter Thor.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Rough Lobster posted:

Since he broke that historic record, he's actually one of the strongest men that's EVER lived.

Different Mountain, it's been played by a few people. You're thinking of Hafthór Björnsson, who would have qualified for this thread for his name alone even if he didn't break a thousand year old viking record.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
What was the record

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

verbal enema posted:

What was the record

Walking with a log on your shoulders for five steps.

I was dissapointed, cause they were totally babysteps. Still impressive.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpUrXJNcS_8

From this very thread.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
No loving way some dude carried that back in the day

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Bombadilillo posted:

Walking with a log on your shoulders for five steps.

I was dissapointed, cause they were totally babysteps. Still impressive.

Wasn't there something about a previous guy who tried this and broke his back?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ozz81 posted:

Wasn't there something about a previous guy who tried this and broke his back?

I don't see how you could with the setup they have. You might smash a disk, but he only lifts it a tiny bit. Safety first, like a proper viiking.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Bombadilillo posted:

I don't see how you could with the setup they have. You might smash a disk, but he only lifts it a tiny bit. Safety first, like a proper viiking.

The dude who did it a thousand years ago took three steps with it and broke his back.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Beardless posted:

The dude who did it a thousand years ago took three steps with it and broke his back.

Pussy.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Well yeah. They didn't have things like "safety" back then.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Soulex posted:

Yeah. That guy probably had to actually pick the log up. The setup of the modern recreation didn't feel genuine to the legend.

While still being impressive, just world's strongest man random gimmick challange, not 1000 year record impressive.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Soulex posted:

Or steroids

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
These dudes ain't no Eric The Viking

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Goons getting all Jelly about lifting things up ITT

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
If anything what The Mountain did was more impressive, I'm sure if the legend is based on fact AT ALL the old guy had one end leaning on the ground as he picked it up.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah. That guy probably had to actually pick the log up. The setup of the modern recreation didn't feel genuine to the legend.

While still being impressive, just world's strongest man random gimmick challange, not 1000 year record impressive.

I remember reading that the first chap picked it up the same as the modern one (off a trestle) but didn't have one to support it if he fell over, so when he went down the log went crossfit on his spine.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

This is the M2-F3, a lifting body aircraft built by NASA to drop from planes to see if they worked. All of the lift is generated by the shape of the fuselage, so it doesn't need wings which is why it looks like something out of Star Wars. The previous model didn't have the third tail fin which meant it was much more prone to start rolling uncontrollably like this:
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/discovery-presents/videos/wild-ride-m2f2/

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

XMNN posted:

This is the M2-F3, a lifting body aircraft built by NASA to drop from planes to see if they worked. All of the lift is generated by the shape of the fuselage, so it doesn't need wings which is why it looks like something out of Star Wars. The previous model didn't have the third tail fin which meant it was much more prone to start rolling uncontrollably like this:
http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/discovery-presents/videos/wild-ride-m2f2/

Dude! The air and space museum put in new things?

Gonna have to visit my friends soon.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VendaGoat posted:

Dude! The air and space museum put in new things?

Gonna have to visit my friends soon.

I'm kind of concerned about the juxtaposition of that rad sled and a dirty communist fuel tank or whatever that is.

ajheretic666
Sep 8, 2008

syscall girl posted:

I'm kind of concerned about the juxtaposition of that rad sled and a dirty communist fuel tank or whatever that is.

Looks to be the display commemorating the Apollo/Soyuz Test Project, which itself was pretty badass. US/Soviet co-operation in space while the Cold War was still going on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo%E2%80%93Soyuz_Test_Project

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

ajheretic666 posted:

Looks to be the display commemorating the Apollo/Soyuz Test Project, which itself was pretty badass. US/Soviet co-operation in space while the Cold War was still going on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo%E2%80%93Soyuz_Test_Project

Okay, yeah that qualifies as badass. My bad.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Brian Blessed has done a heck of a lot of kick rear end stuff, here's just one example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9c05bvN6Z0

He's got the record for being the oldest person to have reached the North Pole on foot and although he's failed in his three attempts to climb Everest he did set a record by reaching 28,500ft without oxygen at the age of 68. His hobby is climbing mountains:

quote:

When, in his book Quest for the Lost World, he is interrogated by Argentinian checkpoint guards, understandably suspicious of a portly old actor's story that he intends to climb Aconcagua, Blessed's riposte is to slide a hand, without warning, between the legs of his startled guide and hoist the man up above his head, roaring: "Fifty-seven years is Sweet Fanny Adams!" "This broke the ice," he observes.

He currently lives in a log cabin on eight acres of woodland where he has an animal sanctuary with over 1,000 animals, many of which have been rescued from circuses and similar places.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Brian Blessed has done a heck of a lot of kick rear end stuff, here's just one example:

He's got the record for being the oldest person to have reached the North Pole on foot and although he's failed in his three attempts to climb Everest he did set a record by reaching 28,500ft without oxygen at the age of 68. His hobby is climbing mountains:

He currently lives in a log cabin on eight acres of woodland where he has an animal sanctuary with over 1,000 animals, many of which have been rescued from circuses and similar places.

You should note that he's trying to climb Everest without oxygen as well. He's also sparred with the Dalai Lama and has recently passed his Cosmonaut training so he can go into space. He also reportedly helped deliver a baby in a park in London and bit through the umbilical cord. He really is the man, the myth , the legend.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Aramoro posted:

You should note that he's trying to climb Everest without oxygen as well. He's also sparred with the Dalai Lama and has recently passed his Cosmonaut training so he can go into space. He also reportedly helped deliver a baby in a park in London and bit through the umbilical cord. He really is the man, the myth , the legend.

This is truly the most interesting man in the world.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Most impressively though is that he and I share a birthday. Is he relished in England as much as he should be? That dude should be met with applause and admiration everywhere he goes....and ear plugs. Dude's so important god made him louder than everyone else.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
The correct spelling of his name is actually BRIAN BLESSED

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Aramoro posted:

Please, you forget his greatest gift to humanity.

By making children laugh as...

Grampy Rabbit

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

The correct spelling of his name is actually BRIAN BLESSED

Needs to be shaking and at least two time bigger.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Fun fact: Destruction in Sandman is based on Brian Blessed, that's why all his speech bubbles are surrounded by thick black lines. And he's undoubtedly the coolest of the Endless.

volcultsmer
Dec 18, 2004
I ated the purple berries

Solice Kirsk posted:

Is he relished in England as much as he should be?

More or less. He is fantastic at more or less everything he ever does. This is one of my personal favourite things I have ever seen him in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlx5EvGQ-jI. He completely upstages everyone else.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
BRIAN BLESSED just released an autobiography, and there's an audiobook version with the legend himself reading it.

He's 78, and bench presses 300 Ibs. Says he's going to go down swinging. I love him so loving much.

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house
This is good Blessed. I heard that he got the part because he already owned a full set of fitted armour and I can believe it. Man is a legend.

(Kenneth Branflakes Henry V)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKHihAPr2Rc

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

volcultsmer posted:

More or less. He is fantastic at more or less everything he ever does. This is one of my personal favourite things I have ever seen him in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlx5EvGQ-jI. He completely upstages everyone else.

Also, thank you so much for posting this. I hadn't seen this episode and I'm loving crying with laughter here. This is the best thing, the pro-est of clicks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

He also hunts yetis.

Basically, he's a madman. But the GOOD kind of mad.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
8 tracks of unrelenting monstrous riffs

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Brian Blessed knocked Dr. Who the gently caress out.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-10-09/the-day-brian-blessed-punched-and-knocked-out-peter-capaldi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
BRIAN BLESSED came to the archives I work at as part of a documentary into his family history. He had some photos taken with the staff for press purposes, and while they were getting the lighting sorted he kept jumping up and shouting that our (small and fairly timid) archivist was goosing him. The guy is a one-man wrecking ball. He power walks everywhere too.