Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

notoriousman posted:

So they're suddenly claiming alpha 2.0 is right around the corner after outright refusing to give a date at CitCon? Do they seriously have made multicrew working when they can't even stop their golf carts from exploding and/or falling through the world? And I thought they also claimed Squadron 42 episode 1 was coming with 2.0 instead of being its own module.

I just want to hear what the doc has to say on this.

G0RF posted:

We already discussed that. But I am curious, given your enthusiasm, if you can clarify what "Full product in a year" specifically refers to?

1 - Squadron 42 (If this- is it the commercial release? If yes, is it the first chapter of missions? All missions?)
2 - The Persistent Universe (If this, will it include all ships thusfar sold, 100 Star Systems, 4 alien languages, space pets, and everything else listed in Stretch Goals? How many players will be supported per instance?)
3 - The full commercial release of Star Citizen (Both of the above?)

If you know, please confirm. If you don't, that's okay-- but then what exactly are you excited about?

mcjomar posted:

I'm going to guess the answers to these based on what we've seen so far.

1) Probably only by next year and only the "first chapter". Whatever that means. It was implied early on they'd release this episodically. Rather like Half-Life.

2) I'd wager next year in limited degrees, with far less than 100 systems, no languages or pets (or any other goals) and probably hard limit to 30-40 players per instance based on their projections so far - the servers would probably melt if they tried any more than that. They really need to learn from CCP about how to develop this sort of thing (I honestly never thought I'd actually type a sentence like that, but there we go).

3) This will be whatever CR defines it was, which will almost certainly be a combination of the above two, to "successfully" launch based on a technicality. As to the rest of the stretch goals, if those come out at all before it falls apart due to the finances as predicted by Dr Smart, they'll be the barest shadow of what fans have hyped them to be. If that.

I'm mildly impressed that the 2.0 might be released in a week based on the bug list provided. Well, sort of. But I doubt it will pan out that way. More likely we'll see slippage again.

notoriousman posted:

From last month's Citizen Con presentation, for context he starts talking about the alpha 2.0 features around 19:12 or so. Given that, their website lists the alpha 2.0 features as only including the various IFCS flight models and makes no mention of the additions announced at their convention. So really my question is 1) what happened to the launch of multicrew, the FPS integration, the "large world" integration, etc., and 2) what about the upcoming patch (which now appears to be comprised solely of new flight models and bugfixes) warrants the bump to alpha 2.0 as opposed to, say, alpha 1.4?

I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, just genuinely curious as to the state of this game. It baffles me that there doesn't seem to be any concrete release schedule for a game 3 years in development, and the best the various wikis out there can do is project based on years-old developer quotes. Just help me out here.

Meonekton posted:

I'm actually surprised they're releasing something. I thought 2.0 would never see the light of day as CIG would put all their focus on SQ42.

Remember what I said at the end of Aug 2015?

Well that's precisely what is playing out atm.

• I don't believe that there will be anything tangible in the upcoming AC 2.0. And by the time the dust settles, everyone will be wondering why it's not AC 1.47 (or whatever)
  • I believe that they will try to get that 2.0 build out in the PTU in time for the anniversary sale on or before 11/26.
  • That 2.0 build won't i) have fps (aka Star Marine) in it ii) have anything "persistent" about it iii) have anything previously promised (see below) in it
  • Probably won't support any new ships. And if it does, there will be maybe one multi-crew ship (still trying to find out which one is the likely candidate)

And whatever they release as 2.0 is purely designed as more smoke and mirrors to show "progress". So it will be a buggy mess in PTU until well into 2016. Lest you forget, AC is still a buggy mess. And whatever it is they currently have in the PTU is best not even discussed. Remember, they still can't even get buggies to work right.

Going into 2016, we'll be dealing with v2.0x builds; all of which will remain in the same buggy state that the current v1.xx builds are in.

Four years. $94m+. 500+ people. Still talking pre-Alpha. And no game in sight

2016 is the mad rush to get a scaled down version of EP1 of SQ42 out. Depending on how much they want to cut, it probably won't happen. Which is why they are currently hiring more people at Foundry 42 because all bets are now being placed on SQ42.

Then I hear today that, amid all this, Croberts is still doing mocap shoots. Seriously.

In case you all have forgotten...

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Anybody know what rule 9 is on the RSI forum?

I had my thread closed for violating it.

Pretty sure that's the "catchall" rule they use whenever they can't really justify closing something.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Probably won't support any new ships. And if it does, there will be maybe one multi-crew ship (still trying to find out which one is the likely candidate)

Wouldn't the obvious answer be the Retaliator? It's the only one they've bothered to show off with any kind of "multi-crew" nonsense. It's also one of the only two(?) multi-crew ships that actually have models, and the other one is supposed to be undergoing yet another makeover.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Holy cow. Ben just replied to me in the FPS catchall thread.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
HAHAHA he's still pouring money into his hollywood movie director rp? nice

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daztek posted:

You know, Elon Musk succesfully launched something into orbit with 100 million bucks. Star Citizen only has a bunch of spaceship jpegs to show for their 92 million.

Yeah but that project has been in development since the 50s/60s with the space program. It's a lot harder to make the BDSSE from scratch in just 1 year*

*The clock has been reset because CIG said it's taking them a year.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Daztek posted:

You know, Elon Musk succesfully launched something into orbit with 100 million bucks. Star Citizen only has a bunch of spaceship jpegs to show for their 92 million.

I always find it amazing that Croberts got enough money to get into actual space but wasted it all.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Woah so he just basically promised fps game play in 2.0 which is coming in TEN DAYS. Well we won't have to wait long to see what's going on with that. Although that would be legitimately shocking if they were able to get that working with 64 bit. Unless 2.0 isn't 64 bit and is just the last of their 32 bit stuff cobbled together to stall for time to change everything to 64 haha.

edit: Is it possible as well that when they switched over to 64 since everything had to be thrown out they got back the original stock fps stuff built into crysis so they would just use that instead? Don't know enough about crysis engine / any of that to say either way just an interesting idea that's probably wrong.

Vire fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 2, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacetoaster posted:

Respond with that image of the "Alpha 2.0 is coming in 10 days" and ask if he's willing to bet his job on it.

Vire posted:

Unless 2.0 isn't 64 bit and is just the last of their 32 bit stuff cobbled together to stall for time to change everything to 64 haha.

My money would be on this but knowing CIG they'll just claim they never made any hard dates and it'll be out in a few weeks more time.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Anybody know what rule 9 is on the RSI forum?

I had my thread closed for violating it.

No one knows. They change their forum rules on the fly to fit the charges.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

sincx posted:

I always find it amazing that Croberts got enough money to get into actual space but wasted it all.

You're thinking of Garriott. I met him with Lesnick and the WC CIC crew. Nice guy.

And I would totally spend all my money to go into space and live on the ISS for a spell.

As for his kickstarter project, dunno, haven't heard peep, but I keep getting build updates in my email. So something steady and good must be happening.

EDIT: Oh, GOT enough money to go into space. nvm

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I don't trust Ben to deliver meat and potatoes without him nibbling first.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:f5h::unsmigghh:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wanna bet the Illfonic poo poo will be released as a standalone disjointed abomination?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Because the world needs another hallway shooter.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I've been away for a few days and just caught up with like 75 pages.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Wouldn't the obvious answer be the Retaliator? It's the only one they've bothered to show off with any kind of "multi-crew" nonsense. It's also one of the only two(?) multi-crew ships that actually have models, and the other one is supposed to be undergoing yet another makeover.

Yes, but according to my sources, they are still having problems with the Retaliator and that if we thinking the shenanigans with the buggy in the hangar are hilarious, we should wait and see the poo poo that's supposed to be coming to the PTU as multi-crew ships.

ps: As developer, it completely irks me that we're talking about multiple clients existing in a single object like it's some ground breaking thing. Every single multiplayer game with fps and vehicles/aircraft since the nineties, has that this.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
It was very worth it.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

D_Smart posted:

2016 is the mad rush to get a scaled down version of EP1 of SQ42 out. Depending on how much they want to cut, it probably won't happen. Which is why they are currently hiring more people at Foundry 42 because all bets are now being placed on SQ42.

Then I hear today that, amid all this, Croberts is still doing mocap shoots. Seriously.

Something will be released in 2016. It will be Chris Roberts magnum opus digital film, Squadron 42. It will show Hollywood they were fools to reject him. He will put his brilliant storytelling on display. Maybe it will have a mission or two, but the film will be there.

But seriously, if Rome were burning to the ground, what would Roberts care about more? Getting some hacked together piece of crap out or using that sweet sweet mocap footage to try and ply his way back into Hollywood? (Or even send them a laughable 'gently caress you') It is absurd to think about, but this whole loving thing is insane. Look at citcon, how much time was spent on mocap and that absurd script.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Another thing what does it mean that they leapfrogged in a sense? Is that code word for someone else did all the work so thats why its actually done and not delayed forever? Didn't they get the stuff they paid for on time / late how is that leap frogging haha?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Dark Off posted:

Hes gotten feature bloated

but really i kinda pity ben. Having his dream turn into disaster must be taking its toll.

id feel bad for him if he wasnt an active participant in the scam

i hope he dies from a heart attack when it fails

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

spacetoaster posted:

poo poo. I called it. Again.

FYI by "meat and potatoes" he means the underlying fps tech they're still pissing around with. Which means animations, physics etc.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

Yes, but according to my sources, they are still having problems with the Retaliator and that if we thinking the shenanigans with the buggy in the hangar are hilarious, we should wait and see the poo poo that's supposed to be coming to the PTU as multi-crew ships.

ps: As developer, it completely irks me that we're talking about multiple clients existing in a single object like it's some ground breaking thing. Every single multiplayer game with fps and vehicles/aircraft since the nineties, has that this.

What time are you releasing the blog post tomorrow?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yo, Derek! You in Cleveland today

LOL!! Damnit! I've been DOXXED!!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

how Derek Smart of all people managed to make the best thread in years is beyond all comprehension

KEEP IT COMIN' :allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Vire posted:

Woah so he just basically promised fps game play in 2.0 which is coming in TEN DAYS. Well we won't have to wait long to see what's going on with that. Although that would be legitimately shocking if they were able to get that working with 64 bit. Unless 2.0 isn't 64 bit and is just the last of their 32 bit stuff cobbled together to stall for time to change everything to 64 haha.

No, he didn't. See my previous post. There is no "fps game play"; as that would imply the Star Marine modes. They're not in this 2.0 release. Probably not until end of the year or sometime in 2016.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Romes128 posted:

What time are you releasing the blog post tomorrow?

Around 2PM EST. Will post here when it goes live.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

D_Smart posted:

poo poo. I called it. Again.

FYI by "meat and potatoes" he means the underlying fps tech they're still pissing around with. Which means animations, physics etc.

Holy poo poo if that's the case. Doesn't that just come with cryengine though the physics and being able to walk around? What is even the difference then between that and walking around in the hangar / city footage we have seen?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Huh. That makes sense. I've seen a couple GIFs of it in arena commander where the interior shell completely breaks loose from the outer texture when it hits a rock and goes spinning away in the other direction, so maybe that's what's stopping them. That makes me wonder though, because the only other possible multi-crew ship they could use is the Constellation I think, right? And that's being reworked from the last thing I remember.

Unless they are going to just dump the Cutlass back in with reworked animations or functional seats or something, since it's already in arena commander and you can technically put two people in it. Man if they did that it would be the dumbest thing they've ever done. All the white knights would have to acknowledge "multi-crew" being a farce.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
:gizz:

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

It's going to be a badly cobbled together piece of crap like "Arena Commander", just with maybe 10 dark hallways and horrible animations.

They will call this a success and declare victory over Lord Derek Smart and his minions.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Vire posted:

Woah so he just basically promised fps game play in 2.0 which is coming in TEN DAYS. Well we won't have to wait long to see what's going on with that.

It's very tricky wording. What I think he's saying is that the work Illfonic put in to the FPS will be there...he's not actually saying FPS gameplay will. Those are the "results" that came out of building the FPS. The FPS itself is what they "leapfrogged" over.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

Respond with that image of the "Alpha 2.0 is coming in 10 days" and ask if he's willing to bet his job on it.

Give me this image

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Vire posted:

Holy poo poo if that's the case. Doesn't that just come with cryengine though the physics and being able to walk around? What is even the difference then between that and walking around in the hangar / city footage we have seen?

Listen here it's extremely difficult to make a first person shooter out of a first person shooter engine when you've already had all of the assets sitting around for years because for one thing PARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP :gary:

Chalks fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 2, 2015

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It's very tricky wording. What I think he's saying is that the work Illfonic put in to the FPS will be there...he's not actually saying FPS gameplay will.

But we saw them shooting in some demo footage and playing a match wouldn't that be fps gameplay that Illfonic did? I don't see how that wording gets out of it he said all the work? Key word all.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Vire posted:

Another thing what does it mean that they leapfrogged in a sense? Is that code word for someone else did all the work so thats why its actually done and not delayed forever? Didn't they get the stuff they paid for on time / late how is that leap frogging haha?

It's exactly what Ben said.

They were going to release Star Marine ages ago.

I said it was on indefinitely hold.

They denied it.

Then it was.

Then they totally poo poo-canned it as a stand-alone module.

Then they said gently caress it, we're just going to leapfrog the whole thing and shove it into the "baby" PU as part of that release. Why? Well they went 64-Bit and so they can't exactly shove that into the current 32-Bit abomination that is AC 1.0x.

Which is precisely why they can't release "game play" modes in this first release. It doesn't exist. They're still working on it. And will then tack it on top of 2.0x at some point down the road. Probably Dec if miracles are still a thing.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dapper Dan posted:

Something will be released in 2016. It will be Chris Roberts magnum opus digital film, Squadron 42. It will show Hollywood they were fools to reject him. He will put his brilliant storytelling on display. Maybe it will have a mission or two, but the film will be there.

But seriously, if Rome were burning to the ground, what would Roberts care about more? Getting some hacked together piece of crap out or using that sweet sweet mocap footage to try and ply his way back into Hollywood? (Or even send them a laughable 'gently caress you') It is absurd to think about, but this whole loving thing is insane. Look at citcon, how much time was spent on mocap and that absurd script.

*script drop* and walks away

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/3qq0af/things_have_been_quiet/cwlda5s?context=3

lol karl doesn't know what year it is.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

holy gently caress ben got FAT

yeah well that explains the massive dunkin donuts expenses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Holy poo poo I just noticed they removed the downvote button from that subreddit. Amazing.

• Locked thread