Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

doctor iono posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Xa012yvXY

14:35 - The amount of smugness contained in the following 30 seconds is painful.
18:15 - Does someone have this reddit post/tweet? Lesnick Thor :catstare:
23:35 - Host spends 45 seconds describing how call-ins work on a radio show. i want to die. this show is 2 hours long.
25:30 - hey it's that part i was looking for. in response to "is there space karate?"

"Let me go ahead and give this blanket answer for everything that you hear about in 10 for the Chairman and ATV and everything. These are - they're intentions. There's the things we would like to do. There's the things that we sign our people to explore, to figure out - you know, go and see about making this happen. Then there's the challenge. Then there's - going through and figuring out how to make all this happen. Not everything's going to become a reality exactly the way we spoke about it; not everything's going to work with every other system; it's an exploration - that's what development is. So that's probably why I don't know anything about it because we haven't actually done any work on it yet."

I hope Jared is at least remotely aware of just how blatantly Sandi, Ben, and Chris are setting him up to be the fall guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

Vire posted:

on the comments not the thread.

Are you subscribed to that sub? I can downvote everything.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I'm sure if would be of great comfort for a whale that sunk $20k into Midtown Madness to know that Rockstar would one day in the future make great games.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

Haha no why on earth would I be. I don't even go to reddit unless someone links me with out the post in quotes saving me the trip.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

You probably have RES installed, which, if I recall correctly, prevents the downvote-disabling CSS by default.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I hope Jared is at least remotely aware of just how blatantly Sandi, Ben, and Chris are setting him up to be the fall guy.

I'm sure they'll be using Ben as a human shield. I mean, c'mon, the role he was born to play.

Also he would probably happily take a bullet for his Ubersturmfurher.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

Oh I forgot they do their little "Only subscribers can vote" thing about their precious votes on some subs.

Also the non-participation thing Reddit tries to push is the most :laffo: thing ever.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SirTagz posted:

Honestly, this is just as casual as Sandi discovering diplomas while cleaning her desk

Not really. Sandi didn't discover a diploma. She discovered a letter supposedly from a Dean.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

Octopode posted:

You probably have RES installed, which, if I recall correctly, prevents the downvote-disabling CSS by default.

Ah, I forgot about that.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Jared was proud of the fact he'd had 36 different jobs or something, I doubt he'll give a poo poo.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Das Gray posted:

:gary: Parp parp parp parp /hungergames whistle theme :gary:

:golfclap:

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

AP posted:

Jared was proud of the fact he'd had 36 different jobs or something, I doubt he'll give a poo poo.

He listed barista twice.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I don't want to derail this thread when it's about to get good but do goons play that Descent mmo game? It looks like it could be funny to mess around with if I had any idea how it works.

edit: oh wait it's called Ascent

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Still amazing that the best line in that wasn't bolded.

"So that's probably why I don't know anything about it because we haven't actually done any work on it yet."

How can you be this brutally honest and people still give you money.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Bedshaped posted:

I don't want to derail this thread when it's about to get good but do goons play that Descent mmo game? It looks like it could be funny to mess around with if I had any idea how it works.

Descent isn't looking to be appealing to me, but their design videos are very interesting:
(2 former CIG employees in this video - also has a nice jingle)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rItxjwmXBQ

Vire posted:

:gary:"So that's probably why I don't know anything about it because we haven't actually done any work on it yet.":yarg:
We need a big :yarg:, please mods/admins/Eonwe/Derek make it happen =

Tank Boy Ken fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 2, 2015

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
about downvotes..

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

spacetoaster posted:

Anybody know what rule 9 is on the RSI forum?

I had my thread closed for violating it.

I think it's either thou shalt not bear false witness against thy croberts, or thou shalt not covet thy neighbors jpegs. But I always get messed up past the first five.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

AP posted:

Looks like hes a career fall guy

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Kakarot posted:

about downvotes..

Eh that kinda defeats the purpose downvoting is lame and no one should do it including goons it is what caused this whole mess in the first place it seems. I just found it funny they are trying to make it even more of an echo chamber.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SirTagz posted:

Honestly, this is just as casual as Sandi discovering diplomas while cleaning her desk

«I went to our archives and dug up some invoices» doesn't come off as an attempt at looking casual.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I actually do believe CIG will get 2.0 out in a reasonable time frame and it will all work as expected (those videos of local physics grids working in AC shows that the tech is there, at least). BUT! It will have a max player count of 16 people and very little to actually do outside of "go here and look at thing" or "shoot thing".

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

quote:

Comm-Link Schedule: November 2nd, 2015

Today brings you 10 for the Writers with Will and Adam (look for Chris to return in next week's episode), Wednesday is another day of Mark smashing bugs, ATV on Thursday includes a chat with Tyler Witkin from the QA team and a look at the new Santa Monica office we're moving to this weekend, and Friday brings Reverse the Verse, the Weekly Development Update, and the Monthly Report for October.
I am genuinely excited to see this.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Bootcha posted:

Hey Karl. Let me vette.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Octopode posted:

A "large world" in vanilla CryEngine and the one CIG is developing are vastly different beasts.

Hi Octopode, I'm a software developer. I don't develop video games so maybe I'm talking about my rear end here but lets say I wanted to make a space game the first thing I would do is make a list of things I wanted to do in my game. For example:

1. Fly spaceships in outer space
2. Seemlessly land my spaceship on a planet and exit my space ship and start shooting people with guns
3. Ability to have multiple player characters commanding / exploring / boarding a vehicle that is moving
4. Have a persistant online / MMO component
4b. Have a drink mixing mini game

To save time I entertain the idea of licensing an existing game engine instead of writing my own from scratch. This comes with one large caveat, I need to become intimately familiar with the limitations of the engine I choose. Of course, I shouldn't full commit to an engine before I'm abosolutely sure it'll do what I need it do, or at the very least, be capable (read: well written and organized code) of letting me extend it to suit my needs.

At this point I'd probably do a proof of concept. Spend, I don't know 4-6 weeks trying to to implement all the functionality in my list at the most basic level while making notes about what can't be accomplished with out further engine development and how realistic those change are. At the end of that time I should have some thing that looks almost like a very very primitive game and have a good feel for what is possible going forward.

I probably wouldve written things down like "Engine doesn't support 64bit precision", "Netcode is optimized for low-velocity, weakly predictable movement (like an FPS) and not high velocity, highly predictable movements (such as a spaceship flying through space)", "has difficultly scaling to more than 6 players on a server at once", "was it fun to play", etc.

Anyway, getting back to your post. If at any point I wrote down something along the lines of "What the engine provides and what I need to do are vastly different beasts" I'd probably at that point look for a new engine which better suits my needs, or decide that I should write my own engine from scratch. At most I've wasted a few weeks of my small dev team's time.

That is not what happened with SC, mainly because Roberts began making these decisions well AFTER deciding on using Cry Engine, because he realized the more poo poo he promised, the more money he can fleece from nerds. "ITS PRE-ALPHA" is such a retarded sentiment at this point, 3+ years on. The base mechanics shouldve have been in place (and fun to play) after a few months, or they should have been working on the engine in seclusion for however long it takes to get to that point. Instead they just keep adding more and more poo poo to the pile and poor idiots keep falling for it.

ps. i hope your wife is doing better

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

People saying it's going to come out soon- what are you basing that on? Seems like all they've done is show some more demo vids, but I mean... they showed demo vids of a fully working FPS game last year, so we know that's not a real indication of anything. All I've seen other than that is that "Ten days" CS ticket (which is an odd loving way to leak the information).

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

«I went to our archives and dug up some invoices» doesn't come off as an attempt at looking casual.

Yeah. And why it is necessary to prove something to an internet dumbass named Karl, is beyond me

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

People saying it's going to come out soon- what are you basing that on? Seems like all they've done is show some more demo vids, but I mean... they showed demo vids of a fully working FPS game last year, so we know that's not a real indication of anything. All I've seen other than that is that "Ten days" CS ticket (which is an odd loving way to leak the information).
Yeah, it didn't have a name attached to it, which seems slightly fishy. Though there was that earlier refund request response which seemed to suggest the user might want to wait until they saw what CIG had coming soon, so I don't know what to think.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
I love how Karl presents themselves as some kind of impartial adjudicator:

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Sarsapariller posted:

Nothing just that ticket. I don't think anyone actually thinks it's going to be ten days or even soon which is why I jokingly put it in bold in my post. It's all speculation at this point just like literally every other part of the game. Croberts said as his con he isn't giving dates anymore so yeah haha. At the same time they haven't said it was wrong either or a mistake which is something I imagine they would jump on pretty fast.

Vire fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 3, 2015

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
You realize at the point that Star Citizen began development, CryEngine and UE3 were the only games in town as far as licensable, high-end engines, right? And that developing an engine from scratch is orders of magnitude more difficult than adapting even a badly-suited engine to your needs, right? And that, given the choice between having to adapt two equally unsuited engines to the task, it makes much more sense to actually go with the one with a developer that's willing to commit significant engineering expertise to helping you do so, right?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Derek Smart collaborate with Lowtax already!

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
are we at peak stupid yet

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

10 days.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

SquirrelGrip posted:

Somehow, no. No we arent.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Octopode posted:

You realize at the point that Star Citizen began development, CryEngine and UE3 were the only games in town as far as licensable, high-end engines, right? And that developing an engine from scratch is orders of magnitude more difficult than adapting even a badly-suited engine to your needs, right? And that, given the choice between having to adapt two equally unsuited engines to the task, it makes much more sense to actually go with the one with a developer that's willing to commit significant engineering expertise to helping you do so, right?

What are you using as your point of 'began development'? The commodity engines aren't the only game in town, just the only 'single box' engine.

I question anyone that assumes that 32bit math would be enough for a space game. Don't you?

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

SquirrelGrip posted:

Not even close friend.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

SquirrelGrip posted:

We're riding this crazy train to the bitter, crazy, pube-less end.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SirTagz posted:

Yeah. And why it is necessary to prove something to an internet dumbass named Karl, is beyond me

The intent wasn't about "proving" anything. It was about continuing the burn as per Bootcha's first burn. Were it not for that, I would've done it long after Klueless Karl made his ridonculous comments.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Yeah, it didn't have a name attached to it, which seems slightly fishy. Though there was that earlier refund request response which seemed to suggest the user might want to wait until they saw what CIG had coming soon, so I don't know what to think.

It could also be a subtle way of trying to sway people from refunding now. This way, they wait for 2.0, then see if they still want a refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SirTagz posted:

You forget who you're talking about, this guy's biggest weakness is that he can get infinitely distracted by anyone getting on his wrong side, no matter how small. It was a "I even bothered to go dig up this poo poo for you" bad not "look what I just found by accident tee-hee" bad.

• Locked thread