Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Motley posted:

Is there a suggested Let's Play that I can watch to get started in this game? I feel a little overwhelmed with the amount of content there is and the correct way to approach it. I've been mining around and upgrading my tools but that is about it so far. It would be nice to get some direction or see a list of goals to work towards or something like that.

If you want to limit just wiki crawling, talking to the guide will generally give you an idea of the next thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Motley posted:

Is there a suggested Let's Play that I can watch to get started in this game? I feel a little overwhelmed with the amount of content there is and the correct way to approach it. I've been mining around and upgrading my tools but that is about it so far. It would be nice to get some direction or see a list of goals to work towards or something like that.

I personally watched EthosLab's stuff. I think it was pretty good. Granted, they did a Hardmode playthrough so avoid watching it if you wanna save the surprises.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Left is valid, right is not valid.

:psyduck:

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Mailer posted:

Left is valid, right is not valid.

:psyduck:

Perhaps there's a single missing wall panel?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Thor-Stryker posted:

Perhaps there's a single missing wall panel?

I checked for that manually, then eventually gave up and copied the room in tedit. Despite being a copy, it's still invalid. I eventually found that it's the skull lantern on the table. You can stick a torch in there without the lantern and it's valid or put the skull up on platforms, but having it on the table makes it invalid. You can put a torch in there, have the npc move in, then remove the torch and place a lantern. Game bugs are weird.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

The full terraria soundtrack is on steam now for 10$ and the 1.3 tracks can be found on bandcamp.

It's a little weird that they never used the 1.2 Lunar Boss theme for Moon Lord or the pillars, but his new theme is good too.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Spergminer posted:

The full terraria soundtrack is on steam now for 10$ and the 1.3 tracks can be found on bandcamp.

It's a little odd. Volume 1 and Volume 2 have 13 songs each, Volume 3 has only ten -- and it's not for lack of material, since three songs actually heard in-game are missing (Desert, Boss 4, and Ice/Underground Snow). There's also the console versions of Ocean and Space, which are completely different songs, the console variant of Title, and Tutorial.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Evidently I haven't played much near Halloween before, because now the bunnies are wearing costumes and some of the enemies drop goodie bags. Including a sweet robot outfit that I may never remove from my character again.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I'm currently a unicorn. Riding a unicorn.

On my first late-game playthrough (never got beyond the mechanicals before) and struggling a bit with the Lunatic Cultist - getting quite close to a kill but can't really handle the amount of damage near the end. It's weird, because I have the Golem on farm, have full Beetle armour and The Eye of Cthulhu

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
What kind of movement do you have, other than the unicorn? Fishron or the UFO helps a ton.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqtJFw_aiLg

This was posted in the Terraria subreddit earlier today. A new adventure map sounds pretty intriguing.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

DoubleNegative posted:

This was posted in the Terraria subreddit earlier today. A new adventure map sounds pretty intriguing.

This looks super damned fun. Some really clever use of Terraria's movement items to create platforming challenges. The bit where he had to drag the flail through the channel was a neat idea. Actually have to learn the ninja stuff instead of soaring around with wings.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
Terraria mobile question. Hopefully someone could tell me.

I know that you are supposed to be able to use quick grapple by swiping out from your character. It doesn't work pretty much ever. Android, nexus 5.

Any ideas on what's up with this?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

DoubleNegative posted:

Looking at some of that stuff, especially the Eater of Worlds arena, made me really wish some of that stuff would spawn/generate naturally in worlds. I'd love a library of setpieces the game randomly draws from, maybe let people submit their own, or download user-maintained packs.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

It's a week later, and it looks like the map has been posted!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Terraria/comments/3qoxra/adventure_map_echoes_of_the_lost_world_up_to_4/

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Anyone else playing this know what to do once you get the musket? Anywhere that looks like it needs a trick shot seems to spite me.

E: NVM, The Musket seems to be mostly just a weapon, I was just missing a not so obvious meatball puzzle.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 30, 2015

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

This jumping puzzle is pretty hard.

Gotta wall jump between the walls, all the while flipping the switches so you can actually land. It's a lot harder than it sounds.

EDIT: And I just found double jump so :ms:

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Oct 30, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What is it with adventure maps and including a laundry list of out of game rules instead of removing the offending items?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Because it's much, much more work to try to mod Terraria than to make a map for it. Terraria is not moddable like Minecraft.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

It also means people can just download it and play without loving around with mods.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Oh, cool, it's just a map to download and play? I thought it was like that red cloud thing. Might give it a try later.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I finished the map today, it wasn't too long. By the end, I was ready for it to be over and done with. There's a little too much emphasis on precision platforming, and I can't decide which area was worse, the one with meteor heads or or the area with black walls and black background.

This is what the latter area looks like. The areas highlighted in green? Those are the only safe places to grab on while jumping across the room.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

DoubleNegative posted:

I finished the map today, it wasn't too long. By the end, I was ready for it to be over and done with. There's a little too much emphasis on precision platforming, and I can't decide which area was worse, the one with meteor heads or or the area with black walls and black background.

This is what the latter area looks like. The areas highlighted in green? Those are the only safe places to grab on while jumping across the room.

Due to Isaac Afterbirth I've only gotten up to the end of the meteor/mushroom area. I died like a dozen times and killed at least 550 heads by the end. I still don't know how I was supposed to make the final jump, and was running out of patience, so ended up using meteor blocks to get across.

Protip to adventure map makers: Making a precision platforming area where all the enemies will be terrain ignoring assholes who hit hard as hell for the level of gear the player will have? Not a fun challenge.

epic Kingdom Hearts LP
Feb 17, 2006

What a shame
Any tips for early game Expert Mode before I dive in? I'm experienced with the game, just looking for a challenge.

Inge
Jan 16, 2007
SERIOUSLY THATS DISGUSTING I'M TRYING TO EAT

UNATCO Telephone posted:

Any tips for early game Expert Mode before I dive in? I'm experienced with the game, just looking for a challenge.

Sky bridges are pretty much necessary for fighting bosses without frustration, I've found

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

UNATCO Telephone posted:

Get bombs+demolitionist and bomb your way to some corrupt orbs/crimson hearts ASAP, the usual starter gear is frustratingly bad against normal enemies.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Been playing (for the first time) on Expert with a friend, and somehow we've made it to Hard mode.

I got Golden Shower to kill the Destroyer, since that's recommended everywhere... but as far as I could see it was doing 1-2 damage per hit on him, when I tried - Is there something I've missed?

Do I just need to get some +magic damage items or something to bypass some kind of defence threshold?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Golden Shower isn't nearly as good on it anymore since it's immune to status effects.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

watho posted:

Golden Shower isn't nearly as good on it anymore since it's immune to status effects.

It also had its damage and piercing reduced a ton.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Was going to ask for suggestions on good ways to down him since those changes, and then the Nimbus Rod dropped, and we flattened him twice in one game night because he was suddenly so easy.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Surprise T Rex posted:

Been playing (for the first time) on Expert with a friend, and somehow we've made it to Hard mode.

I got Golden Shower to kill the Destroyer, since that's recommended everywhere... but as far as I could see it was doing 1-2 damage per hit on him, when I tried - Is there something I've missed?

Do I just need to get some +magic damage items or something to bypass some kind of defence threshold?
Common advice is not likely to be for Expert mode.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I recently decided to bite the bullet and finally switch to hardmode. What should I be aiming to do now, given that I've done the first spawning of new ores? I've made the full cobalt set and made a mythril drill.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 8, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ohhhh, for a second I thought you meant "made a hardcore character." I was gonna be all "well for starters you shouldn't have done that." In the post-Wall of Flesh content, it's basically pre-Wall except with new ores and a couple NPCs who move in after you beat at least one mechanical boss. One of the major things I want to grind for is the Clockwork Rifle from the Wall, but keep in mind that it's slightly bugged and special ammo types won't always work properly. It'll tide you over until you can beat the Destroyer and build the Megashark, which will proceed to be great for pretty much everything.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, hardmode, sorry.

What boss should I be aiming at first?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Everyone says to kill the destroyer first but I always found skeletron prime to be the easiest, personally V:frog:V

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, hardmode, sorry.

What boss should I be aiming at first?

The mechanical bosses are gonna spawn on their own until you beat them anyway, so don't worry about which to go after first. Before you take them on however, you should think about upgrading to Adamantite/Titanuim armor. The extra defense is super worthwhile, and you need Titanuim/Adamantite tools to upgrade to Hallowed versions.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

TWIST FIST posted:

Everyone says to kill the destroyer first but I always found skeletron prime to be the easiest, personally V:frog:V

twins are just a matter of making a repeater and a skyway :shrug:

edit : yeah the Megashark does require might souls. eh, repeater does the trick.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
destroyer's easiest if you know the trick

but also the souls of might are the most useful out of the three for making better weapons.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Excelzior posted:

making ... a skyway

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

One of the major things I want to grind for is the Clockwork Rifle from the Wall, but keep in mind that it's slightly bugged and special ammo types won't always work properly. It'll tide you over until you can beat the Destroyer and build the Megashark, which will proceed to be great for pretty much everything.
Well, I just got the clockwork rifle on my second Wall victory, so that worked out pretty well! :buddy: