Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
How's Samsung's history in the software support side of things, like is this thing going to stop getting updates once the next watch comes out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

japtor posted:

How's Samsung's history in the software support side of things, like is this thing going to stop getting updates once the next watch comes out?

Probably.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
Could I get some recommendations on a wearable bluetooth mp3 player? I just want an mp3 player, and I don''t want to stream it from my phone. I know such devices exist, but looking on Amazon and other places is a morass of bootleg poo poo that may not even function, and unavailable in America items.

I've been looking for a new mp3 player, preferably with bluetooth so I don't have headphone wires hanging off of me, and wearing it on my wrist would be a better convenience than putting yet another doohickey in my pocket. That being said I would still buy one for my pocket if there are no decent wrist alternatives.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Lonely Rolling Star posted:

Could I get some recommendations on a wearable bluetooth mp3 player? I just want an mp3 player, and I don''t want to stream it from my phone. I know such devices exist, but looking on Amazon and other places is a morass of bootleg poo poo that may not even function, and unavailable in America items.

I've been looking for a new mp3 player, preferably with bluetooth so I don't have headphone wires hanging off of me, and wearing it on my wrist would be a better convenience than putting yet another doohickey in my pocket. That being said I would still buy one for my pocket if there are no decent wrist alternatives.

A lot of the Android Wear devices can be used a bluetooth music source.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

A lot of the Android Wear devices can be used a bluetooth music source.

Yikes. $150 to $200 is probably out of my price range just for a convenience item right now. Thanks for clearing up what I should look for though. Think I might just have to pick up a regular rear end pocket rectangle instead. Too bad resellers are selling my same brand of mp3 player with bluetooth for $200-$300 or I would just pick another one of these up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I might be crazy, but the Samsung S2 looks pretty sweet. I really like that rotating bezel and it seems like a pretty sleek looking smartwatch.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Thermopyle posted:

I might be crazy, but the Samsung S2 looks pretty sweet. I really like that rotating bezel and it seems like a pretty sleek looking smartwatch.

Yeah, I definitely like the look of it too, I'm just worried about the app selection on it. I can't picture many companies dedicating the money and manpower to make anything for it.

I wonder if Android Pay will ever make its way onto the device? I know it has Samsung Pay, but I think that requires using a Samsung phone with it.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 5, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

All of the blogs have actually been raving about it after their hands on, calling it the first smartwatch yet that's worth buying.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 5, 2015

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

bull3964 posted:

All of the blogs have actually been raving about it after their hands on, calling it the first smartwatch yet that's with buying.

Do we know if it's supposed to be out this year?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Is this the right thread to talk about Google cardboard? I just bought a plastic one with a strap, so its wearable. Is there any update on the view master branded one?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

RZA Encryption posted:

Is this the right thread to talk about Google cardboard? I just bought a plastic one with a strap, so its wearable. Is there any update on the view master branded one?

Seems like this would be a good thread to me!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

If the Huawei Watch didn't exist I'd probably be buying the S2 but the 2:00 minute mark on this video reinforced my anti-Samsung software bias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VTBkOVhRwM

But the watch itself looks great.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

S2 is a very reasonable $399.99 Cdn. $429.99 for the classic. Haven't heard any US price but that means it can't be more than $350, probably $300.

Prices from bestbuy.ca, where you can pre-order now if you pronounce "foyer" foy-yay!.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
I've been looking at the fitbit surge and charge hr, and there's a few things I'd really like to know: first, do they have a heart rate zone change alarm? The website goes on and on about how you can look at it and see, but if I'm cycling or huffing my way up a trail I'm not going to pause every 30 seconds to look at it, and I want something that yells at me for slacking off.

If the device itself doesn't do this, can it stream your heart rate live to an app that does?

And finally: can the surge GPS be used with an Ipod touch and offline maps for navigational purposes?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

CrazySalamander posted:

I've been looking at the fitbit surge and charge hr, and there's a few things I'd really like to know: first, do they have a heart rate zone change alarm? The website goes on and on about how you can look at it and see, but if I'm cycling or huffing my way up a trail I'm not going to pause every 30 seconds to look at it, and I want something that yells at me for slacking off.

If the device itself doesn't do this, can it stream your heart rate live to an app that does?

And finally: can the surge GPS be used with an Ipod touch and offline maps for navigational purposes?

I can only speak for the Charge HR, but the HR data isn't very useful for training. You can see the number live in the Fitbit app, but there are no zone alarms or sharing with external apps.

I'm going to guess the answer to your GPS question is also a huge "no."

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

CrazySalamander posted:

No. It doesn't do "live sync" with anything, which is a shame. The closest you can get is ...

quote:

but if I'm cycling or huffing my way up a trail I'm not going to pause every 30 seconds to look at it,
you can set the Charge HR so that when you tap the "face" twice it'll show heart rate instead of the time.

edit: I really wanted to like the Charge HR, it seemed comfortable and accurate to me, but while it records a lot of data you can't really *do* anything with that data. All show, no go, if you will.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 20, 2015

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Looks like the S2 will go on sale 10/2 (Friday) for 299, and the classic for 349. Pretty decent pricing. Anyone going to bite the bullet and purchase?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Vintimus Prime posted:

Looks like the S2 will go on sale 10/2 (Friday) for 299, and the classic for 349. Pretty decent pricing. Anyone going to bite the bullet and purchase?

I really like the looks of it. I'll wait for reviews and see how well it compares to using an Android Wear device.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Thermopyle posted:

I really like the looks of it. I'll wait for reviews and see how well it compares to using an Android Wear device.

Same, I will probably wait for details on the 3G version before biting the bullet though, if they manage to keep the size down and put a decent running/music app on it I will probably buy it.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
So Windows Band 2. It's curved with a glass screen. Hopefully the data analysis is more useful and transparent this time around, and the phone integration more robust. Pre-ordered! Anyone have any thoughts?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr Funkface posted:

So Windows Band 2. It's curved with a glass screen. Hopefully the data analysis is more useful and transparent this time around, and the phone integration more robust. Pre-ordered! Anyone have any thoughts?

I pre-ordered one too, I really liked all the sensors from the last band, but the actual hardware design was bad and the software was really immature. It looks like both of those things have changed, and while I'd have preferred it to stay at $199, it seems pretty comparable feature wise to a fitbit surge to me, so meh?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I'm interested in it but I'm curious if they are committed to making it work well with all phones. Is cortana going to work on Android/iOS? Or is that a Win10 phone thing only?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Syrinxx posted:

I'm interested in it but I'm curious if they are committed to making it work well with all phones. Is cortana going to work on Android/iOS? Or is that a Win10 phone thing only?

RIght now windows only, cortana for android/ios aren't ready yet, although cortana for android is in some sort of beta. Ultimately would be nice if it could just trigger siri or google now on those platforms too, not sure how hard that actually is.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Mr Funkface posted:

Pre-ordered as well. Heads up that sizing might be a bit of a thing if you were at the edge between two sizes. The strap is way more thin and flexible because there's no bulky side...chunk thingies on it. For gen 1 I had a Small that I had to exchange for a Medium. Gen 2, the Medium feels much looser. It's still within range for me but it's something to keep in mind.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
I really like the looks of the S2 and I have been wanting to get a watch that can replace and do more than my fitbit but my biggest concern is where I work I can't bring my cellphone with me. Is it still viable as a watch, fitness tracker, and maybe a few other apps when it's unpaired?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm really enjoying my Pebble Time Steel but I'm starting to see weird bugs with certain timefaces. Futura Weather stopped displaying the weather and shows a crossed out phone. I have no problem with phone connectivity as I can send new watchfaces to the watch from my iPhone. Several other weather watchfaces have started doing the same thing, but others work just fine as far as weather display goes. Maybe the site they use to pull weather is going wonky? Can't really explain it.

Un/re-synced everything just to be safe.

I really like the PTS mainly because it does the two things I really wanted my watch to do really well: Tell time, show notifications. I'm pretty easy to please, I guess.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I'm really enjoying my Pebble Time Steel but I'm starting to see weird bugs with certain timefaces. Futura Weather stopped displaying the weather and shows a crossed out phone. I have no problem with phone connectivity as I can send new watchfaces to the watch from my iPhone. Several other weather watchfaces have started doing the same thing, but others work just fine as far as weather display goes. Maybe the site they use to pull weather is going wonky? Can't really explain it.

I noticed something similar with another watchface I've been using, just called Square. Its supposed to drop the weather into view from the top and bottom when you shake your wrist, and it hasn't done it for the past few days. Weatherland still works, though.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I got the shipping notification for my Band 2 today, looks like it's coming straight from the factory in China. I'm kinda disappointed haven't seen more reviews of this yet, maybe they aren't in reviewers hands, or they are still embargoed or something.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Anyone have any idea of the actual EU/UK release date of the Huawatch? Googling shows most of the articles are from the start of September, and we're well past any semblance of an October release date - can't find an UK online store that will allow preorder or even mention a price.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So I'm looking for a band of some type for my wife.

She had the jawbone Up 2, liked the feel of it and step tracking, but we have had two of them just break and stop working.

I Got her a Fitbit Charge HR, she liked the idea, but just does not like the band for it. Too uncomfortable.

So she doesn't need anything fancy: basically a Fitbit that is comfortable. I'm thinking I'll charge up my old Pebble and see if she likes that, but Amy other suggestions?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Don't Lol me posted:

Anyone have any idea of the actual EU/UK release date of the Huawatch? Googling shows most of the articles are from the start of September, and we're well past any semblance of an October release date - can't find an UK online store that will allow preorder or even mention a price.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714074

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Duckman2008 posted:

So I'm looking for a band of some type for my wife.

She had the jawbone Up 2, liked the feel of it and step tracking, but we have had two of them just break and stop working.

I Got her a Fitbit Charge HR, she liked the idea, but just does not like the band for it. Too uncomfortable.

So she doesn't need anything fancy: basically a Fitbit that is comfortable. I'm thinking I'll charge up my old Pebble and see if she likes that, but Amy other suggestions?

You could try the activite pop or the pulse o2 by withings I guess.

Here's their comparison chart:

http://www.withings.com/us/en/compare/activity-trackers

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
If you truly mean "nothing fancy", what about the Misfit things? Flash and Shine? One of them even lets you wear it on an ankle or in a pendant, iirc.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Just got my Microsoft Band 2. Fit and finish is so much better than the original. I ordered a large (was a large last time) and it's super comfy.

I've been wearing a fitbit charge HR for a while, this is certainly heavier, but so far feels like a very good example of "this is what should've been version 1". And of course, like everything these days, there's a day 1 software update.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
Band 2 is here! A lot better than the first one, worse than I expected. There's something cheap about it, the interface between the rubber/glass/alu is a little amateur feeling. And the clasp, my god the clasp. Wearing the screen on the inside of your wrist is fine and dandy but that clasp is fat and ugly like your mum. I'm not sure why the strap is this latex material, a woven polyester or something would be much more adjustable and a double-d ring closer would be much lower profile and still allow for the battery pod and IR sensor and associated wires - it's not as if the band is waterproof.

Sizing is weird - the chart says I'm an L, in reality I'm snug in the middle of the M.

The curved glass screen is nice though, much better than the friction-ey plastic nonsense they had before.

6/10

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Mr Funkface posted:

Band 2 is here! A lot better than the first one, worse than I expected. There's something cheap about it, the interface between the rubber/glass/alu is a little amateur feeling. And the clasp, my god the clasp. Wearing the screen on the inside of your wrist is fine and dandy but that clasp is fat and ugly like your mum. I'm not sure why the strap is this latex material, a woven polyester or something would be much more adjustable and a double-d ring closer would be much lower profile and still allow for the battery pod and IR sensor and associated wires - it's not as if the band is waterproof.

Sizing is weird - the chart says I'm an L, in reality I'm snug in the middle of the M.

The curved glass screen is nice though, much better than the friction-ey plastic nonsense they had before.

6/10

Large does seem to be larger than the sizing chart indicates, I'm almost all the way cinched up and debating maybe returning for a medium at some point.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

My Band 2 arrived today. Initial thoughts:

• I had a medium Band 1, and ordered the same size for Band 2. Fit is a little looser, I might have to trade for a Small.
  • New screen is amazing, but it feels a tad stretched.
  • Much more comfortable overall.
  • Accent colour is nice.

I tried rotate on for Watch Mode, but it seemed way too sensitive. I'm not sure what the impact on battery life is, otherwise I'd keep it on.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I bought one of the new Fossil Q Grants. Been using it with a Moto X Pure Edition.

My thoughts on it so far:

• It's very inconspicuous, which is part of the charm, I suppose.
  • The Fossil app is actually really nice. It's a bit devoid of features, but what's there is very high quality.
  • It works well as a notification device, which is kind of one of the big draws.
  • I'm not sure how I feel about the LEDs; the only time they're truly noticeable is at night, so you have to rely on the vibrations to get your notifications.
  • Charger is very nice. It's inductively charged, so once a week you just plop it on a little stand and it's charged up in a few hours. Battery life can be checked via the app.
  • The pedometer feature works well, but I can't attest to how accurate it is.

Overall, it's pretty decent looking and works great as a way to get notifications, but my biggest beef is the lack of notification control.

The biggest issue I think is that the vibrate pattern is not changeable. You can toggle between a strong vibrate, a light vibrate and no vibrate, but the pattern is all the same - the only way to discern the notification type is the color of the LED. Which isn't inherently terrible, but if you have no haptic feedback turned on, you'll probably miss the LED blink. But like I said the only way to identify the notification type is the LED's color, so I think a customizable pattern would add some uniqueness. And shorter patterns could probably save some battery life.

I'm overall liking it though. I'm not a watch snob by any means, but the OG Pebble I had was just ugly (and had screen tearing, so it was becoming less usable.) This is a good compromise between smart and fashionable. I don't really care about any of the fancy features the Android Wear/Pebble/Apple Watch ecosystems bring, to me they were just a fun gimmick. I like smartwatches because I always seem to miss notifications, so the Q Grant's a decent fit for me.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 3, 2015

Eremys
Oct 20, 2004
indigi bought me this account cause I'm a schlub with no credit :(
Goon hivemind, I can get a fitbit surge for $100 or a charge HR for $85. Which would you go with at those prices?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Eremys posted:

Goon hivemind, I can get a fitbit surge for $100 or a charge HR for $85. Which would you go with at those prices?

If you don't already have anything that does GPS tracking, or if you want an all-in-one package, get the Surge. If you don't care about GPS tracking, or have a better solution already, get the HR.