Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wu tang is playing a festival I'm going to this weekend and I always hear mixed things about them live.

Anyways are they good live? Should I see them or just choose to see something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

They were really good when I saw them all together even though Meth was missing. I've also seen Rae once and he was great and GZA twice, he was amazing the first time and pretty poo poo the second.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Wu tang is playing a festival I'm going to this weekend and I always hear mixed things about them live.

Anyways are they good live? Should I see them or just choose to see something else.

depends a lot on which wu members are showing up

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8cyM_damag

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

this_is_hard posted:

depends a lot on which wu members are showing up

I think all of them are showing up.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Go. Worst that happens is you saw a legendary rap group all together and they stunk. Still worth it

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I've seen wutang maybe half a dozen times. How good the show is depends on which members of wutang are actually there.

The best wutang show I ever saw was, and this is gonna sound made up, but it was just method man. The show started 2 hours late because apparently method man was holding out for more cash from the venue. But then he came out and did a really sick show and he also crowd surfed which I thought would end in disaster but it worked and owned. Also people threw lots of blunts at him and he caught and smoked one which is illegal and risky. Method man owns, wutang owns.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Method Man hyped the hell out of a show here filled with old people and grandchildren because the festival planners put them in at 6 pm before a teen pop act. I liked it and if you're gonna be there anyway, why not?

Also Thugger's beast roar on Beast is making me laugh right now

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
This was a couple of pages ago but the best parts of Pinata were Shitsville, Uno, and the first minute of Real. Ok bye

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
has this thread finally stopped smoking the penises of young thug? i mean i like the guy but let's be real he isn't exactly a serious artist. he could be, but right now he's a lean and production fueled force of nature within the rap scene. i know i keep bringing this up but it needs to be addressed that as of right now future and thug have not shown that they can carry an album on their own and that is a problem. that means they are close to peaking and it means they are resigned to being single- and feature- rappers and not much more unless hiTunes blows everyone away. DS2 was pretty bad as a rap album. it would have been a below avg mixtape. honest has its moments but ultimately is not a great album either. barter 6 is like 1/3 skips (and that's being generous... is that considered an album or not though)?

Professor Funk posted:

This was a couple of pages ago but the best parts of Pinata were Shitsville, Uno, and the first minute of Real. Ok bye

um the best part of pinata is thuggin' son... that's not up for debate. those parts you mentioned are great too but thuggin' is probably his best song all around.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

shut up nerd

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Quan is going to murder thugger once the rumors finally break him

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

thathonkey posted:

i know i keep bringing this up but it needs to be addressed

Lol stfu

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
my point is only that these rappers yall all stan and shill for constantly aren't ever gonna make a classic. not that theyre bad or you shouldnt like them or whatever. no need to get so defensive because i critiqued your boys a bit

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Who makes classics anymore though

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

when did you decide to become a lovely troll thathonkey you used to be cool

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Quantum of Phallus posted:

when did you decide to become a lovely troll thathonkey you used to be cool

i was never cool. i still like cool rap music though it's just funny how bent out of shape some people in this thread get if you even gently criticize young thug, future, and a handful of other artists. i'm from atlanta. i like young thug and future... i'm not doing a hopsin thing i've seen them both in concert this past year or so which is a p nerdy thing to do i admit. i also "bang" their music in my "whip" when i'm feeling ambitious and hype. is that cool or no? how can i regain cool status? i'm smokin' penises over here i really dunno what else i can do :shrug: it's just that this thread acts as though they can do no wrong and that's bullshit to me so i started trolling.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

youll smoke that penis and youll like it

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

i liek future and thug and i really dont care that you think theyre middling but i really really dont care that either of them might not make "a classic" because 1 its 2015 2 eventual hagiography is a really unsound and reductive way to qualify music

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
according to that one person i have a reputation for complaining about thread quality but let's face it... thread kinda sucks now im waiting for it to get good again and then we can get back to temple and alan smithee talking over everyone else while having a no music discussion about rap. part of the problem is that there hasn't been much good rap music coming out lately though. it's not like we're a bunch of good posters who suddenly lost our way.

Radio Spiricom posted:

i liek future and thug and i really dont care that you think theyre middling but i really really dont care that either of them might not make "a classic" because 1 its 2015 2 eventual hagiography is a really unsound and reductive way to qualify music

for the record i don't think they're middling i just don't think they can stand on their own as artists and make a solid album, classic or otherwise. nice big words there in the second part of your little post but im not going to argue with you over whether or not there are classic albums that arent hagiographic. wtf is your point abotu it being 2015 anyway?

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 3, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Everyone can understand thugger / future not being to everyone's taste. We just hate the lovely go-nowhere 'reasons retards like you bring up hyper-aggresively thinking you're the only person holding it down for real rap these days.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

We just hate the lovely go-nowhere 'reasons retards like you bring up hyper-aggresively thinking you're the only person holding it down for real rap these days.

hyper-aggressive retard? me as the gatekeeper for real rap these days? lol who the gently caress are you?

i don't want to argue with y'all (the posters here I respect I mean like shrimp, phallus, and tremendous). my point was that while thug and future are cool they havent yet proven they can make a solid album because they rap about 1-3 subject(s) literally and their style gets really repetitive after about 8 songs in a row and relies too mnuch on the production to be enjoyable. that's it. if somebody wants to make a legit rebuttal to that we can discuss otherwise you don't need to respond to me anymore :downs:

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 3, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Hahaha I'm right unless you want to make a large effort post in response to me, a retard, on a matter that is purely subjective

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Wow holy gently caress take a walk away from the thread ur getting all drake about it

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm the main Young Thug hater but whatever it isn't worth posting about here and I understand that now and let everybody enjoy their music. People agree Budden and Game made great albums and we're being more critical of Thug recently so I'm good

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

Hahaha I'm right unless you want to make a large effort post in response to me, a retard, on a matter that is purely subjective

i didn't call you a retard and you didn't make any point for me to respond to that i can find. i only responded to you because you misrepresented my argument and made it sound like i hate future/young thug (which ive stated numerous times is not true) and have some golden age nostalgia for "real rap" (i assume colored by that video kenshin posted where the guy is contrasting rap today vs rap yesterday). im not sure what we disagree on unless you think future and thug have both made great albums? i agree they both have made tons of great songs. future has made a couple great mixtapes.

again: I am not a young thug hater. i am not a future hater. i like both of them. disperse the angry NMD raps mods, i haven't blasphemed to that extent or come close to saying that they're bad or that people shouldn't enjoy their music.

do y'all have poo poo reading comprehension or what. it's like you see a post it mentions one of these new atlanta artists without overwhelming praise you immediately go into this really weird defnense mode. for gently caress sake, i love the new atlanta sound. rich gang vol 1 and monster are like my most listened to album in years. i dont know why i feel the need to give my "credentials" here but here we are.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Nov 3, 2015

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Just now getting to that underachievers. poo poo is so good, I've been on big trap kick lately but this is a nice change of pace.
https://youtu.be/pKg9JLbUXik

Unrelated are there any rappers who use pitch shifted/screwed vocals a lot aside from ASAP Rocky? I always think that poo poo sounds real cool in moderation. This exquire song is a good example http://youtu.be/AM-Kp7iyVfI

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Between Summertime 06 and the new Underachievers there is gonna be lots of good winter riding music though. I think we can all agree on that.

As for pitch-shifting, it's pretty much only used in moderation... I can't think of any artists that use it very often besides Rocky

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

When I posted the same thing I got called old (I'm 25) and nostalgic. It's funny because the streets don't really gently caress with Thug that much while Future took Gucci's throne.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
I have the feeling I'm old compared to most of this thread (bout to turn 30). Future is really popular these days (deservedly so) but yeah outside of this thread very few people that I talk to know anything about thugger. and this is in atlanta. those that do know, knowc/care more about his sexuality and dress-up photos on instagram than they do his music.

to date me... the "rose-tinted" golden age of rap for me was when like cash money, no limit, shady/aftermath, and bad boy were peaking (not all of these happened at the same time). but i'm talking late 90s, early aughts. in middle/high school it was all about bling bling and make em say ugnnhhh.

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 3, 2015

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

thathonkey posted:

for the record i don't think they're middling i just don't think they can stand on their own as artists and make a solid album, classic or otherwise. nice big words there in the second part of your little post but im not going to argue with you over whether or not there are classic albums that arent hagiographic. wtf is your point abotu it being 2015 anyway?

fair enough, but i just dont think that in 2015 using classic or even solid album releases is the measuring stick to evaluate artists by, songs are more than enough. lots of artists dont make music for the album anymore and i know that i (and certainly lots of others) dont consume music through the album anymore. its an outdated and rather strict method of production/consumption. i usually just stick everything i want to listen to on a playlist before leaving the house and hit shuffle.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 3, 2015

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Robert Analog posted:

Just now getting to that underachievers. poo poo is so good, I've been on big trap kick lately but this is a nice change of pace.
https://youtu.be/pKg9JLbUXik

Yeah I got to the underachievers late but it really is extremely good poo poo and maybe top 5

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
RAP? More like CRAP.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i can't believe that grown men still believe that they can tell others what to like and what not to like and get genuinely distressed when their opinions don't match up within a particular community.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
New Waka https://soundcloud.com/wakaflockaflame/am2pm

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

this is good

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I don't really understand the idea that Future couldn't make a great album. 56 nights is a great tape. There are at least 10 more great songs on monster/beast mode/ds2 that you could mix in there and make a great album. Did it come ot that way? Not so much, but DS2 is still really good and stands on its own just fine.

Also Pluto is already a great album, legit aoty contender that year

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 3, 2015

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I find the argument that Future/Thugger can't make classic albums really dumb, considering they release music in a completely different way from album-oriented rappers like Kanye or Kendrick. My playlist of leaked Thugger songs is better than most albums that dropped this year.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

thathonkey posted:

has this thread finally stopped smoking the penises of young thug? i mean i like the guy but let's be real he isn't exactly a serious artist. he could be, but right now he's a lean and production fueled force of nature within the rap scene. i know i keep bringing this up but it needs to be addressed that as of right now future and thug have not shown that they can carry an album on their own and that is a problem. that means they are close to peaking and it means they are resigned to being single- and feature- rappers and not much more unless hiTunes blows everyone away. DS2 was pretty bad as a rap album. it would have been a below avg mixtape. honest has its moments but ultimately is not a great album either. barter 6 is like 1/3 skips (and that's being generous... is that considered an album or not though)?

um the best part of pinata is thuggin' son... that's not up for debate. those parts you mentioned are great too but thuggin' is probably his best song all around.

please stay banned next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

I find the argument that Future/Thugger can't make classic albums really dumb, considering they release music in a completely different way from album-oriented rappers like Kanye or Kendrick. My playlist of leaked Thugger songs is better than most albums that dropped this year.

What I want from an album is completely different from a mixtape and I'm not gonna excuse them when the album isn't good just because "they release music different". Wayne, 50, and Jezzy all put out quality tapes and singles (Wayne especially) and classic albums. It's not an excuse.