Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Skoll posted:

Octopode is actually a really cool guy, despite popular opinions of his posting in the Star Citizen thread. I think it is wrong to compare him to Karl.

let me know when he stops playing google legal expert

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Skoll posted:

Octopode is actually a really cool guy, despite popular opinions of his posting in the Star Citizen thread. I think it is wrong to compare him to Karl.

Yeah to be honest he seems pretty chill don't really have a problem with him posting about it either.

The sad thing is pretty much everyone wants the same thing and no one can understand this. If you told goons the game came out tomorrow and was really good but then the comedy would stop, i'm pretty sure most people here would be content with buying the game and enjoying it. We don't want to watch the world burn it's just that it's already on fire so we might as well laugh about it. The game won't come out and if it does it will be a buggy mess so there is nothing here to enjoy but the comedy.

Vire fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 3, 2015

DuckDynasty
Sep 23, 2015

WebDog posted:

How old is she? Given she claims she's 22 In this 2005 article. So was she born in 1980 (as she claims on imdb) or 1983?

Also that site isn't an official BMW page - it's for Z8 enthusiasts who go around taking scenic photos. So she charmed some photographer with exciting tales about being a bit player in Hollywood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYaXw8TZEvs

Actually it is 1975. Just more lies. Celebrated her 40th this year in Monaco at the Grand Prix.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

let me know when he stops playing google legal expert

I'll run that by Legal.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Please stop making fun of peoples' Legals, my Legal may have passed away several months ago but her absence is still keenly felt.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

She was a Sheltie.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Please stop making fun of peoples' Legals, my Legal may have passed away several months ago but her absence is still keenly felt.

:rip: I still miss my Legal, a massive bull mastiff that was murdered in a hit and run... :smith:

If I ever find the fucker... :doom:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I'm not going to say I'm a fan of Derek Smart but, like a lot of people posting in the thread, I honestly just consider him to be just another guy poking fun at the shitshow.

That and he adds to the entertainment sometimes.

I mean I'll probably give it a shot myself, but the recent gameplay video leak showed that I probably shouldn't expect much besides a slightly streamlined Fallout 3 plus a town editor. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's more than that, but Bethesda has a handful of mile-wide-inch-deep games under their belt so any bar they're trying to clear was one they set themselves.

That town editor stuff might be fun if it's sufficiently crunchy and with a nontrivial interaction with the rest of the game world. If it's just a tacked on mini-system like, say, every non-core gameplay element in any Assassin's Creed game then that'll be disappointing.

The changes in Fallout 4 are subtle and its not always about the graphics.This time round, the fact that you can do minecraft like base building, now that's new gameplay.

And also, Legal follows you around in the game.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
CIG doesnt have a lawyer. Ortwin is more of a practicing film producer/salesman than a legal professional. Just look at his website. Not much law being practiced.

http://freyermuth.net/about-us

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

WebDog posted:

How old is she? Given she claims she's 22 In this 2005 article. So was she born in 1980 (as she claims on imdb) or 1983?
Derek will probably chime in with info. I personally have a guess but I just don't like speculating too much without solid data, and really, her potential misrepresenting of her age is a pretty minor offense in the grand scheme. It's probably the most sympathetic lie she would tell (because we all know Hollywood has no use for unknown female properties in their 30s or above.)

I will say that Sandi herself has created a biography so full of contradictions that, if nothing else, we should know better than to trust her as a reliable source. She lies about herself-- a lot-- and brags about herself just as much. How she reached this age-- whatever it is-- without learning that true confidence in self doesn't require perpetual acts of self-congratulation ("I'm currently reading LotR in French", "I train in MMO twice a week with a Six Dan Blackbelt", etc.), attention seeking (like dressing way too provacatively for work), misrepresentation of self (educational credentials / age / professional accomplishments) and alleged humiliation of subordinates (The Escapist accounts) is the bigger mystery to me.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

G0RF posted:

Derek will probably chime in with info. I personally have a guess but I just don't like speculating too much without solid data, and really, her potential misrepresenting of her age is a pretty minor offense in the grand scheme. It's probably the most sympathetic lie she would tell (because we all know Hollywood has no use for unknown female properties in their 30s or above.)

I will say that Sandi herself has created a biography so full of contradictions that, if nothing else, we should know better than to trust her as a reliable source. She lies about herself-- a lot-- and brags about herself just as much. How she reached this age-- whatever it is-- without learning that true confidence in self doesn't require perpetual acts of self-congratulation ("I'm currently reading LotR in French", "I train in MMO twice a week with a Six Dan Blackbelt", etc.), attention seeking (like dressing way too provacatively for work), misrepresentation of self (educational credentials / age / professional accomplishments) and alleged humiliation of subordinates (The Escapist accounts) is the bigger mystery to me.

Here is a picture of the thought process for Sandi from age 13 onwards

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

holy poo poo its a motherfucking BMW Alpina... reasonably priced, hahahaahahaahahaha.

...and people still think she flies economy.

:gary:->paaaaaaarp

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Jegan Ace posted:

I liked the Witcher 3 (except the clunky, awful combat controls), but since nobody has played Fallout 4 yet, I believe Bethesda deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Is there seriously anyone left in this thread that isn't on the "Star Citizen up in flames" bandwagon? I'm a backer and I share that sentiment.

I'm trying to highlight that dickriding Derek Smart's bag of hot air isn't any better than signing over your property and spouse to Croberts. They are both awful.

Fallout 4 - It's going to suck unless you don't mind a modded New Vegas. It has this weird cult classic status even though it's super popular, so most people will like it no matter what. They are very aware of this, if they can just rehash NV and not gently caress something up, it will be a hit.

DEREKSMARTDEREKSMARTDEREKSMART- I was blown away that this dude is here after all of the mocking and stupid videos over a decade ago that I had forgotten about. He's just going to be himself, which is respectable enough, and it's pretty god drat entertaining.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Sandi is the only one I trust in this project. She just wants to be a big movie star so she'll gently caress and suck her way into it.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
It's the 3rd of November, Derek.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

jaegerx posted:

Sandi is the only one I trust in this project. She just wants to be a big movie star so she'll gently caress and suck her way into it.

too bad the only taker was mush mouth

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jegan Ace posted:

Is there seriously anyone left in this thread that isn't on the "Star Citizen up in flames" bandwagon? I'm a backer and I share that sentiment.

I'm trying to highlight that dickriding Derek Smart's bag of hot air isn't any better than signing over your property and spouse to Croberts. They are both awful.

No idea. But you can't look at selling of jpeg ships that has gotten more and more expensive (15k for a package is not only insane, it is unscrupulous and hypocritical. If this were ANY other studio, there would be car fires outside of their headquarters as nerds came with pitchforks), absolutely no deadlines met in three years, nothing remotely close to even a single player segment at this point, :gary:, still pre-alpha (2-3 years left minimum) and go 'Hm, this seems like it is going to be good.' Unless you are a redditor or a fan boy, of course.

Derek Smart is like the grandfather of poo poo posting/flame wars, so its kind of to be expected. Plus, its still fun to watch. And Derek is better than CRoberts. He isn't running a ponzi scheme or exploiting people with blatant lies or making people empty their kids college fund and risk their relationships or mortgages or letting them buy jpegs over buying food. CRoberts promises you the world and sells you a jpeg. Everyone knows what they're getting into when they buy a Derek Smart game.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

D_Smart posted:

It's a case of the right hand working independently from the left hand. They'll never see it coming. Trust me, there's a plan in place. And the end result is glorious. It's going to be part of my legacy that will be written about for the next decades.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Mukip posted:

It's the 3rd of November, Derek.

You're one of those guys who waits up until midnight for a game release and gets enraged because it isn't out the second the clock hits midnight, aren't you?

Pretty sure Derek posted a time it'd be out on the 3rd, it's like midnight or so for him now I'm guessing.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

CrazyTolradi posted:

You're one of those guys who waits up until midnight for a game release and gets enraged because it isn't out the second the clock hits midnight, aren't you?

Pretty sure Derek posted a time it'd be out on the 3rd, it's like midnight or so for him now I'm guessing.

I think that's :thejoke:

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

CrazyTolradi posted:

You better not be trying to manage my expectations.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Mukip posted:

You better not be trying to manage my expectations.

The only expectation should be hilarity.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Señor Smart, other than making over a MEELION nerds nervous due to sunk cost fallacy, do you enjoy any games that are not your own or are spacemans games?

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
I just feel ever so inclined to buy a harmonica.

Made of gold.

Encrusted in diamonds.

Then dipped in gold.

And rolled around in more diamonds.

It's deadly to vampires, you know.

Or was it werewolves?

I forget which.

They're both poor.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

D_Smart posted:

Not really. Sandi didn't discover a diploma. She discovered a letter supposedly from a Dean.

Alright, I've got one of those too. It's something they do in Australia when you do really well over a semester. If you are on track and get a high GPA for the subjects you did that term (Average a distinction), you get an award. At the end of your degree, if your GPA is high enough, you get one of those letters - at least that's how it worked in the Uni I attended.

Based on that, in my opinion, it does look likely she has a degree in something.

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

Tarranon posted:

why are you obsessing over nails now

stop being creepy

He'll discuss her shoes next.

Karl_Ramseier
Aug 21, 2015

I don't have to work very hard at being an asshole. It comes naturally.

No practice needed.

Since Goons ruin everything, I'm pretending to be a Goon for Halloween!

Bootcha posted:

Hahahahaha.

Hey Karl. Let me vette.

I got a WC FMV helmet prop. A gift from Lesnick for making sure he was comfortable and welcome in Austin. poo poo I still have his wife's desert plants she game me too.
I asked CR about his movie industry credentials at the GDC reveal. Somehow, that seems pertinent.
I was there all day and night at the 24 hour "end-of-funding" (hahaha) livestream. I provided the champagne, CR's milk for his espresso, and several other food runs to keep everyone going.
I'm in the picture of "The Pledge". You remember this thing?

I did the stage management at the first CitCon in Austin alongside Viewmaster.
I was on Wingman's Hangar. And I did a lot of production assistance whenever they needed it.
Dr. Hawk interviewed me long long long ago, ID'ed as one of THE INVESTORS. It was no big deal back then.
I AM THE ONE WHO LAMPS.

I was, and still am to a certain extent, one of the spergiest Wing Commander spergs. I kinda consider myself Patient Zero to this whole Star Citizen thing.

And yet I feel something is wrong. Something wrong enough to warrant action.

Now I spilled my coffee over the whole bed.
That's him with the espresso!

So they got their early investors to play the waiters? That's perhaps why people spend thousands of dollars on spaceship pics. "Here, please sign this contract. Ah yes the money, thanks. Now please could you serve me an espresso? And go buy some beer."

If this is real, you're the biggest idiot I ever came across. I can't stop laughing. But hey this raess guy in the forum tend to believe you, perhaps I should tell him about this new discovery.

Ok, let's get this straight:
A public picture is proof for you being an investor? That might be enough for DS, but not for me. Why don't you show us the signed contract? This shouldn't matter anyway after you identified yourself and acknowledged that Sandi is a racist motherfucking bitch.
If they don't slap you in the face for what you did here they never ever won't.
But please just bring me the milk, would you?

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
Karl really throwing it down here.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Why don't you show us the signed contract? This shouldn't matter anyway after you identified yourself and acknowledged that Sandi is a racist motherfucking bitch.

Because showing his contract is likely a breach of the NDA, and he hasn't breached it so far because identifying himself and saying that he believes Sandi to be a "racist motherfucking bitch" would not breach an NDA.

Keep spinning though, Karl. Credit where it's due, you don't let anything keep you down.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

That was certainly a sequence of words.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Karl_Ramseier posted:

So they got their early investors to play the waiters? That's perhaps why people spend thousands of dollars on spaceship pics. "Here, please sign this contract. Ah yes the money, thanks. Now please could you serve me an espresso? And go buy some beer."

If this is real, you're the biggest idiot I ever came across. I can't stop laughing. But hey this raess guy in the forum tend to believe you, perhaps I should tell him about this new discovery.

A public picture is proof for you being an investor? That might be enough for DS, but not for me. Why don't you show us the signed contract? This shouldn't matter anyway after you identified yourself and acknowledged that Sandi is a racist motherfucking bitch.

You're my favorite kind of retard: The self owning type. Please don't stop posting your delusions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh my god this idiot is for real.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Nicholas posted:

Hi Octopode, I'm a software developer. I don't develop video games so maybe I'm talking about my rear end here but lets say I wanted to make a space game the first thing I would do is make a list of things I wanted to do in my game. For example:

1. Fly spaceships in outer space
2. Seemlessly land my spaceship on a planet and exit my space ship and start shooting people with guns
3. Ability to have multiple player characters commanding / exploring / boarding a vehicle that is moving
4. Have a persistant online / MMO component
4b. Have a drink mixing mini game

To save time I entertain the idea of licensing an existing game engine instead of writing my own from scratch. This comes with one large caveat, I need to become intimately familiar with the limitations of the engine I choose. Of course, I shouldn't full commit to an engine before I'm abosolutely sure it'll do what I need it do, or at the very least, be capable (read: well written and organized code) of letting me extend it to suit my needs.

At this point I'd probably do a proof of concept. Spend, I don't know 4-6 weeks trying to to implement all the functionality in my list at the most basic level while making notes about what can't be accomplished with out further engine development and how realistic those change are. At the end of that time I should have some thing that looks almost like a very very primitive game and have a good feel for what is possible going forward.

I probably wouldve written things down like "Engine doesn't support 64bit precision", "Netcode is optimized for low-velocity, weakly predictable movement (like an FPS) and not high velocity, highly predictable movements (such as a spaceship flying through space)", "has difficultly scaling to more than 6 players on a server at once", "was it fun to play", etc.

Anyway, getting back to your post. If at any point I wrote down something along the lines of "What the engine provides and what I need to do are vastly different beasts" I'd probably at that point look for a new engine which better suits my needs, or decide that I should write my own engine from scratch. At most I've wasted a few weeks of my small dev team's time.

That is not what happened with SC, mainly because Roberts began making these decisions well AFTER deciding on using Cry Engine, because he realized the more poo poo he promised, the more money he can fleece from nerds. "ITS PRE-ALPHA" is such a retarded sentiment at this point, 3+ years on. The base mechanics shouldve have been in place (and fun to play) after a few months, or they should have been working on the engine in seclusion for however long it takes to get to that point. Instead they just keep adding more and more poo poo to the pile and poor idiots keep falling for it.

ps. i hope your wife is doing better

When you boil away the t-rex arms, allegations of insane money waste, genital shaving and hilarious Gary Old Man memes, it's just that the project was from pretty early on doomed to fail. The people who could have or did say no were removed and as long as there's money to burn, and they made tons of wrong decisions building the game that they've doubled down on while the money piles in.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 3, 2015

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Du wurdest ordentlich gefickt, gib einfach auf!
Hol dir dein Geld zurück und beobachte mit uns wie das Projekt in Flammen aufgeht!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The irony of Karl saying that Bootcha is an idiot for helping out at live events for a project he is an investor in, while Karl himself paid $10 to defend said project on an irrelevant comedy forum for two months.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Nov 3, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

The irony of Karl saying that Bootcha is an idiot for helping out with random poo poo after investing money into CIG while Karl paid $10 to defend said project on an irrelevant comedy forum.

Like it's pretty fuckin clear that Bootcha, at one point, really believed in Chris Roberts and the Star Citizen project. The fact that he's been burned so thoroughly, and backstabbed by backers, not investors like him, but backers is honestly pretty sad and indicative of the quality of the community they've built up around SC.

Besides, what are the odds that Karl and Raess are two completely different German auditors who behave like assholes in the same way with the same opinions on everything? Because I want to believe that this is in fact two identical crazy assholes and not one delusional one. Or that this is a long con and someone just wants to take that extra step to make Raess2014/2015 look like a complete imbecile on the internet.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Like, thanks for the money Karl, whoever you are.

You crazy diamond you.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

I'm sorry your internet spaceship game is vaporware.

(I'm not sorry)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Karl_Ramseier posted:

lmao, you're the biggest idiot in here. And I can't stop laughing.

Please post more so I can laugh at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Karl_Ramseier posted:

same

• Locked thread