Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

I advised him to delete the reddit account, which he also says isn't his, not going to screenshot from it but it mentions mental health issues a few times.

Judging by the response after DickWulf was called out for his length letter detailing his mental issues, it seems this is a serious problem among a large proportion of the Whtieknight population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

peter gabriel posted:

They're waiting for you Gordon, in the test chamber that we made a jpeg of and sell for hundreds of dollars

What other good game quotes could be Star Citizened?

The JPeGS were a lie

I am Karl Ramsier, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to spend $15,000 on fake internet spaceships? "No," says the man in Something Awful, "it's really stupid." "No," says Derek Smart, "it's really stupid." "No," says anyone with half a functioning brain cell, "it's really REALLY stupid." I rejected those answers.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's not that it's cool to hate on Fallout 4 it's just that everyone kind of already knows Bethesda's style of game, and since Witcher 3 just sort of strolled in and dunked on every other open world WRPG out there some people have higher standards now.

I know this is heresy and shows I'm a broken person but I couldn't get into Witcher 3. Felt like I was running between evenly spaced quest nodes for no reason except to level up so I can do the main quest stuff. Felt more like busywork clearing a map than a story experience. I've found most Bethesda games more immersive even with the potato faces and arrows to the knee.

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Xaerael posted:

I am Karl Ramsier, and

#

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

AP posted:

Bootcha until you get your money back, don't be tricked into doing anything that CIG might attempt to use as justification for keeping it, they are quite good at that. You can safely ignore Karl/Raess2009 as he's pretending he's not Raess2014, who are both auditors, obsessed with goons, they go to extreme lengths to defend Star Citizen and were born in Germany in same year, in the same month on the same day.

Karl has been lying throughout his time here and there should be no requirement on your part to provide more detail on what's going on with your money, considering he's been lying about his.

:gary:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPau5QYtYs

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Berious posted:

I know this is heresy and shows I'm a broken person but I couldn't get into Witcher 3. Felt like I was running between evenly spaced quest nodes for no reason except to level up so I can do the main quest stuff. Felt more like busywork clearing a map than a story experience. I've found most Bethesda games more immersive even with the potato faces and arrows to the knee.

Well it's got some weird level scaling/gating issues which can break the flow of progression, but I liked how all of the quests and even the relatively simple witcher contract hunts had a decent chunk of story or texture to them. And the main story and major sidequest lines are all engaging on a level that I feel most Bethesda games don't really reach, even if their more straightforward approach and softer approach to level scaling post-Oblivion means the moment-to-moment gameplay has fewer pacing hiccups.

I wouldn't say I care very much about being immersed in a game as much as I do enjoying the content a game has and TW3 has well-crafted and well-written content in spades, even if combat feels like a jankier arkham game.

That said I do enjoy Bethsoft games quite a lot and will definitely getting Fallout 4 somewhere down the line, it's just that Witcher 3 really, really impressed me. And I wasn't even a fan of the series to begin with, I just decided to give it a shot based on word of mouth.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

7.5k posts in and Bootcha's reaction to learning he may have funded the Swedish mafia remains the single best part of the thread.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jegan Ace posted:

Is hating on Fallout 4 in vogue now?

Hard to keep up with the new cynical goon crowd these days.

The number one thing that's amazing about Bethesda TES/Fallout games is the mod support, and the incredible debacle of the paid mods really put me off. Everything about that was poorly thought out and badly executed; their semi-apology afterward was tone deaf to the real failures they had. They lost a gently caress-ton of trust with me, and I'm worried they're gonna try it again with FO4.

So I won't be buying Fallout 4 until January or so, when I can see how that stuff is gonna shake out in the new game. Every Bethsoft game post Morrowind has been just a virtual tourism simulator to me, the plot & writing generally aren't amazing enough to care about spoilers. So I'm ok waiting it out.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Romes128 posted:

I'd be ok with Ben dying from fat reasons if only to see his comically large coffin decked out like a spaceship.

There will be no coffin. When Ben dies, he will go supernova and collapse into a black hole.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

I've sucked the penis of a disgusting old man with some executive producer credits but i'm still not a hollywood star. What gives?

Have you been skipping neck day?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

94 million dollars, but the Citizen Con/Referral bump is really starting to fade.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Xaerael posted:

I am Karl Ramsier, and I'm here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to spend $15,000 on fake internet spaceships? "No," says the man in Something Awful, "it's really stupid." "No," says Derek Smart, "it's really stupid." "No," says anyone with half a functioning brain cell, "it's really REALLY stupid." I rejected those answers.

Someone should ask him would he kindly get a refund. You know what they say: never mix business with friendship.

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.
I'm totally bummed I have to work today, Derek Smart Day. I'm going to miss all the Derek Smarting Derek Smart is going to Derek Smart.

:gary: PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just found good front facing pictures of Derek and Chris. This WWE 2k16 poo poo might just happen after all.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Now I spilled my coffee over the whole bed.
That's him with the espresso!

So they got their early investors to play the waiters? That's perhaps why people spend thousands of dollars on spaceship pics. "Here, please sign this contract. Ah yes the money, thanks. Now please could you serve me an espresso? And go buy some beer."

If this is real, you're the biggest idiot I ever came across. I can't stop laughing. But hey this raess guy in the forum tend to believe you, perhaps I should tell him about this new discovery.

Ok, let's get this straight:
A public picture is proof for you being an investor? That might be enough for DS, but not for me. Why don't you show us the signed contract? This shouldn't matter anyway after you identified yourself and acknowledged that Sandi is a racist motherfucking bitch.
If they don't slap you in the face for what you did here they never ever won't.
But please just bring me the milk, would you?

... keep it up, Karl.

Its like watching a child with downs syndrome try to manipulate a situation.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Regarding my investment:
0$. My packages are still gifted from my brother in law, but he is a concierge backer and I have access to his account. Likewise his twitter account. And vice versa. I wouldn't have a problem to "admit" anything. I paid 120E for ED, 50 for Battletech, Divinity 50€, Aquanox 50€. So one could say I love kickstarter projects.
I would have pledged a constellation package, but I got a nice birthday present, so no need to invest any money, end of story.

Hey Karl, just out of interest do you share your somethingawful account with your brother in law too?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Karl is a kid I think, I don't mean that in an insulting way or anything I just get that vibe, brothers account, talks about his Dad a lot, I dunno it makes sense to me.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
My dad would've loving killed me if I'd spent 10K on jpegs

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Karl, why do you want to see people lose their money?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

peter gabriel posted:

Karl is a kid I think, I don't mean that in an insulting way or anything I just get that vibe, brothers account, talks about his Dad a lot, I dunno it makes sense to me.

well whatever peter. but he is JUST NOT FUNNY. this concerns me a lot.

even octopode is funny.

:gary: PAAAAAAARRRRP :yarg:

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Whats a kid doing online unsupervised and trolling adults? Derek should tell his dad heh

bald gnome error
Feb 9, 2011
i see karl is celebrating parpening day with us :unsmigghh:

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

Whether you pick 2011, when Chris was selecting an engine, or 2012, when the prototype was demoed, it doesn't really matter. There were no suitable licensable high-performance game engines available, whether with 32-bit or 64-bit spatial positioning systems that would have met the necessary wickets without requiring similar or more re-engineering work in one area or another.

"Crytek posted:

The CryENGINE 1 was developed between 2001 and 2004, parallel to Crytek's first game, Far Cry.

Crytek wrote the entire engine in less time than Star Citizen has been in development. They hired large parts of the Crytek engine development team.

..but you knew all that right?

Pogue Ma Hoon
Oct 17, 2013

I like a nice pair of slacks.

peter gabriel posted:

I don't care who he is, I just want him to stick around when this whole ponzi scheme implodes.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

If this is real, you're the biggest idiot I ever came across. I can't stop laughing. But hey this raess guy in the forum tend to believe you, perhaps I should tell him about this new discovery.

Ok, let's get this straight:
A public picture is proof for you being an investor? That might be enough for DS, but not for me. Why don't you show us the signed contract? This shouldn't matter anyway after you identified yourself and acknowledged that Sandi is a racist motherfucking bitch.
He's already proven he's an investor-- the evidence is out there in official video and audio interviews from years back. If you'd take a few minutes from your busy schedule of posting as multiple asshats who defend Star Citizen against the indefensible, you could actually educate yourself.

Star Citizen is a scam. All he did was try to raise attention. But you made it personal; now we're at war. That's it in the wheelchair. Spaceships, Jpegs, ashes, etc.

THE END.

:gary: ------> "PAAAAAARRRP!"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Some good faith questions to Octopode, Karl or whoever still has any faith in CIG.

Back when this started Chris Roberts promised to make the Best drat Space Sim Ever for $20 million. How many times that amount has Chris payed himself and his wife in wages in the meanwhile and still no game? How many times that amount was spent paying actors and mo-cap for videogame cutscenes? According to what Chris argued you could make The Best drat Space Sim Ever several times over with just that money, how much enjoyment will you get from that?

Even if Star Citizen delivers in 2016 and is everything Chris Roberts promised it will be how good can it be? "$20 million was before, now the game has a much bigger scope" you will say, well OK but how can it be 5X better than the Best drat Space Sim Ever? Would you rather not have got The Best drat Space Sim Ever a year ago for $20 million than to have waited years more for this new vision to come out for 5X that price?

e: fixed ratio by an order of magnitude, the point remains

For everyone else, I don't know if any of you still haven't read this editorial Stop Funding Star Citizen but you must. It's from December 2014, 8 months before :krakken: entered the fray so he can't be dismissed as a smartie and he's 100% right in everything he predicted when funding was still at $60 million.

quote:

The prospect of developing a game such as Star Citizen in modules and hoping to successfully bolt them all together as one seamless product seems a strange one and I’ve no doubt they’ve taken this approach for speed and marketing over practicality. Afterall, showing off footage that looks lovely is guaranteed to spur on more backers. Releasing a module showing the first person mode or space combat is entirely different however from those systems coming together as one. The entire time when watching the recent FPS Demo I thought to myself that while lovely to look at, there were far too many “ifs” as to how it would even piece together.

quote:

Star Citizen, without question, has plenty of money. Seeking and allowing the receipt of more doesn’t necessarily mean the game will be a success neither does it mean that with even more money they’ll be able to accomplish the impossible. I don’t believe any company, irrespective of budget or experience, could achieve what Cloud Imperium are proposing. By taking even more money they are piling further pressure upon themselves and living player expectation further. I really want Star Citizen to be a success but years covering and playing games in the industry leave me very skeptical. If they actually powered on with development instead of pushing imaginary ships that cost $2500 when there isn’t a shred of a game there, it feels like a con rather than an investment.

quote:

Unless you’re fabulously wealthy to the point where you can afford to wipe your backside with $100 bills and light Cuban’s with the pile of money currently acting as a pillow, I don’t believe at this point sending money Cloud Imperium Games’ way is helping anything. All it is doing is going into a big black hole of dreams with very little seen, at this point, that it’s being pumped back into development.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 3, 2015

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
witcher 3 is a bad game with some good writing that no one will remember in a few years, and fallout 4 will probably be bad, especially if it continues betheda's growing trend to try and make set piece oriented but still open world video games. the environment will also be pretty to look at

signed, a stupid idiot that didn't ever invest in SC

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

Mithranderp posted:

I'm reading Harry Potter in French; does that qualify me to run the marketing department of a game publisher?

In the French version, doe's Hermione have a threesome? just curious.

Oh and Happy St. Derek day..

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

JazzPaws posted:

In the French version, doe's Hermione have a threesome? just curious.

Oh and Happy St. Derek day..

:q:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Pogue Ma Hoon posted:

I don't care who he is, I just want him to stick around when this whole ponzi scheme implodes.

A fair point

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MeLKoR posted:

Some good faith questions to Octopode, Karl or whoever still has any faith in CIG.

Back when this started Chris Roberts promised to make the Best drat Space Sim Ever for $2 million. How many times that amount has Chris payed himself and his wife in wages in the meanwhile and still no game? How many times that amount was spent paying actors and mo-cap for videogame cutscenes? According to what Chris argued you could make The Best drat Space Sim Ever several times over with just that money, how much enjoyment will you get from that?

Even if Star Citizen delivers in 2016 and is everything Chris Roberts promised it will be how good can it be? "2 million was before, now the game has a much bigger scope" you will say, well OK but how can it be 50X better than the Best drat Space Sim Ever? Would you rather not have got The Best drat Space Sim Ever a year ago for $2 million than to have waited years more for this new vision to come out for 50X that price?

For everyone else, I don't know if any of you still haven't read this editorial Stop Funding Star Citizen but you must. It's from December 2014, 8 months before :krakken: entered the fray so he can't be dismissed as a smartie and he's 100% right in everything he predicted when funding was still at $60 million.

I'm not Octopode, but he would tell you that "The Plan" was never to make a game for 2 million, it was to crowdfund that to show interest and then get another 20 million in investment dollars.

Also I'm sorta offended on his behalf that you put his name in the same sentence as Krazy Karl. Octopode's just a guy that can't help but post when someone's wrong on the internet!

(None of this changes the points in that article, just saying)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TTerrible posted:

Crytek wrote the entire engine in less time than Star Citizen has been in development. They hired large parts of the Crytek engine development team.

..but you knew all that right?

Octopode has weird ideas about game engines. He simultaneously believes that:
  • Making a new game engine is a herculean task that nobody in their right mind would ever do. drat near impossible, if you're making a game you better buy either Unreal or Cryengine. If you try to make your own that's a hundred bojillion dollars gone right there.
  • It's absolutely necessary for CIG to rip out the guts and basic functions of Cryengine so they can write their own hilariously bad implementations of things like character animation or vehicle multi-crew or "crosshairs that point where your gun points". How could you be so naive to think that a generic game engine can do all the things that Star Citizen, the most realistic simulation ever made, needs it to do? Trust CIG when they technobabble about 64bit or their cloud-based master control system that will do things no game has ever done before! The only important part of cryengine is the graphics renderer.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Back when this started Chris Roberts promised to make the Best drat Space Sim Ever for $2 million.

Don't disagree with anything you said but just to correct this 2 million part, the kickstarter had a $500k goal, they raised over 2 million with more on their own RSI site. The plan was to develop a game with a budget of between 14-20 million (there's an interview with Chris Roberts saying this), later the budget inflated to 23 million to cover physical items, paypal/kickstarter fees etc (there's a chairman letter on RSI about that). Originally the kickstarter was to prove demand was there to investors who would fund the rest.

From memory of an interview, when they had a feel for the interest Sandi apparently persuaded Chris Roberts to try to obtain full funding for the rest from backers. In the early days they were confused about why people were pledging more than once and asked them why, that's when they were told people wanted to collect the ships. Since then we've gone from something like 5 ships to well over 100.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lovely game engine blurb:

Today, it's easier to take a game engine, rip the "game" part out so you're only left with the renderer, and put your own game logic into it, than it is making an engine from scratch. 3D rendering has changed a lot from the late 90s/early 00s and it's literally impossible for someone to make a well performing render engine that looks good and is also capable of rendering a lot of complex geometry+effects in less than a couple years.

It's why most games with in-house engines today are either technically demanding, but feature simple landscapes, or look just okay when doing something more complex. Making a rendering engine with dx11 is like walking a narrow path, with both sides of it being vertical cliffs. If you stay on the narrow path, your game will perform okay even when making a highly detailed world and having it look good. If you stray even a little, enjoy your shitshow.

Therefore, you instead take unreal engine, unity or cryengine, rip out all the game logic the engine shipped with, and replace it with your own. It's still far less work doing that than making a 3d renderer that will both look good and perform well in your game that's supposed to feature "AAA" levels of detail and complexity.

So, SC using cryengine didn't sound like a bad idea in 2011/12, when UE4 didn't yet exist and unity was still a joke engine for simplistic indie games. IIRC, it was the only "AAA grade" engine able to be licensed back then that didn't have a directx featureset several years out of date.

Unfortunately for crobbits, you need more than just a good rendering engine to make a good game. Add the facts that since Unity 5 released, cryengine is the new comedy option engine and UE4 being better than cryengine at just about everything, plus 20/20 hindsight, and it makes it look even worse.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
CIGs behaviour is more damning really if you take it for granted that they have enough money already to make the game and put it out. Because then it means they are effectively conning people into giving them money for no reason, as opposed to a scenario where they need the money to keep the lights on due to prolonged development. They can't reasonably be changing the development goals at this point (assuming baseline sanity), so either they have enough money or they don't. I suppose a person who really believes in the honest motives of CIG must therefore conclude that they don't have enough money to make this game as it stands.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
No, but you see, Karl used to share all his accounts with a roommate with the same name of the same age from the same town. It really is that simple, guys.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
They should stop taking money, period.
If you are sat there looking at a project that is impossible to do it doesn't matter if you have $10 or $100 million in the bank, it's still impossible.
They could at least have the good grace to stop taking vulnerable peoples money while they scratch their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Furthermore, Seraph84 only had one account on SA and all other accounts were created by his girlfriend, employees, and friends.

• Locked thread