Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Skoll posted:

Octopode is actually a really cool guy, despite popular opinions of his posting in the Star Citizen thread. I think it is wrong to compare him to Karl.

I agree. Comparing him to that loon Karl, is completely out of order! And I for one won't let it stand. So who do I have to dox and sue to make the comparisons stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

kikkelivelho posted:

Does Elite use a custom engine?

its their own engine they've been building since even before they started the funding for ED.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

I agree. Comparing him to that loon Karl, is completely out of order! And I for one won't let it stand. So who do I have to dox and sue to make the comparisons stop?

everyone

dox and sue everyone, derek smart.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

kikkelivelho posted:

They've already committed to rewriting most of the engine. Moving to a new one doesn't really make sense once your that deep.

It's called 'sunk cost fallacy', and it's one of the reasons why good project management is required.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

Here is a good example of what I dislike about CIG.
On their store they sell crap like T Shirts and butt plugs.
The T Shirts are advertised for $6 which seems great:

However when you choose any other size than extra small, they are all loving $30

This pisses me off because it's just them all over, advertise for $6 when really it's $30, there's no real reason for that one size of shirt to be so cheaper than the rest apart from marketing bullshit.

Also, please, Octopode, Karl, show me a Star Citizen player that can wear an extra small t shirt.

Also the sizes stop at 4XL. No wonder they bitch about merch being crap money.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

CIG is too deep into sunk cost to realize that all that code debt is going to keep blowing up in their faces whenever they try to implement a new system. But I get the feeling that they know that switching to another solution wont do them any good this late in the game.

Compounded by CIG paying their bills by taking out one engineering debt loan after another by promising that ships upon ships will be made one day.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

:gary: EVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Now I spilled my coffee over the whole bed.
That's him with the espresso!

So they got their early investors to play the waiters? That's perhaps why people spend thousands of dollars on spaceship pics. "Here, please sign this contract. Ah yes the money, thanks. Now please could you serve me an espresso? And go buy some beer."

If this is real, you're the biggest idiot I ever came across. I can't stop laughing. But hey this raess guy in the forum tend to believe you, perhaps I should tell him about this new discovery.

Ok, let's get this straight:
A public picture is proof for you being an investor? That might be enough for DS, but not for me. Why don't you show us the signed contract? This shouldn't matter anyway after you identified yourself and acknowledged that Sandi is a racist motherfucking bitch.
If they don't slap you in the face for what you did here they never ever won't.
But please just bring me the milk, would you?

Yes, idiots and faith in Star Citizen tend to overlap. I won't deny I was a bit enthusiastic, but I like to think that the early days of production was a cooperative existence where everyone pitched in to help where they can, even if it was just a simple run to the corner shop.

But I suppose my evidence is circumstantial and vague at worst. I won't blame you for taking something said on an internet comedy forum at face value.

Best thing to do would be to ask Chris Roberts, Ortwin Freyermuth, Sandi Gardiner, David Swafford, Eric Peterson, Richard Garriott, Erin Roberts, Travis Day, Rob Irving, and/or Ben Lesnick. If you feel uncomfortable speaking to management, production, and/or design leads, then you can ask Pete Mackay, Michael Morlan, Chris Smith, Chris Olivia, James Pugh, Jenny Varner, Brendan Jackson, Jason Spangler, and/or Mark Skelton. Failing that, you can talk to Bluestreak, Dr. Hawk, Logante, Kimshadow, Wulf, and/or Manic if you're terrified of speaking to anyone of importance. If you don't want to know who you ask, just email CS with the subject "OMFG THIS GUY THINKS HE'S AN INVESTOR".

I invite you to speak to any of them as to my status as an investor. But I wouldn't wait long to do that.

Also don't ask the brown sea, my entire facade as an investor will crumble away and expose my inner nougaty house of lies I've built up for 3+ years if you do that. Don't tell them that some nerd on the internet claims to be an investor and he wants out. Don't tell them he's leaving because he's lost faith in CR's ability to deliver a product as well as verifying for himself some allegations leveled at CIG by Derek Smart, the Escapist, and other media outlets. Don't tell them it's not too late to reconsider the amount of wealth they've put into this product.

Don't tell them to ask questions.

That would be horrible.

And un-Citizen-like.

PAAAAAAAAAAARP

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I hope something funny happens today

I hope the thread has a bright future

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

LLJKSiLk posted:

To play Devil's advocate, supply/demand dictates that the most demand isn't in the small shirts for the space whales.

Chinese sweatshops just can't keep with the demand for tent sized nerd t-shirts, that is why they cost 5X the smaller shirts. :cmon:

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Bootcha posted:

I invite you to speak to any of them as to my status as an investor. But I wouldn't wait long to do that.

While I have a lot of hope for entertainment in this thread and its successors over the next year, right now I'm just hoping that this means you're in the process of getting your money out.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Hav posted:

It's called 'sunk cost fallacy', and it's one of the reasons why good project management is required.

There isn't a single engine on the market that has the features that CIG/Roberts need and want. They would have to do a rewrite no matter what engine they chose. They've started modifying Cryengine so might as well stick with it.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

kikkelivelho posted:

They've started modifying Cryengine so might as well stick with it.

How's that working out for them?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

:glomp:

Romes128 posted:

its their own engine they've been building since even before they started the funding for ED.
Then again, if Frontier managed to turn the engine at the heart of Kinectimals (2010) and turn it into a space engine for Elite (2014), it just further suggests that maybe the CIG guys simply don't know what they're doing.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 3, 2015

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Derek will probably chime in with info. I personally have a guess but I just don't like speculating too much without solid data, and really, her potential misrepresenting of her age is a pretty minor offense in the grand scheme. It's probably the most sympathetic lie she would tell (because we all know Hollywood has no use for unknown female properties in their 30s or above.)

I will say that Sandi herself has created a biography so full of contradictions that, if nothing else, we should know better than to trust her as a reliable source. She lies about herself-- a lot-- and brags about herself just as much. How she reached this age-- whatever it is-- without learning that true confidence in self doesn't require perpetual acts of self-congratulation ("I'm currently reading LotR in French", "I train in MMO twice a week with a Six Dan Blackbelt", etc.), attention seeking (like dressing way too provacatively for work), misrepresentation of self (educational credentials / age / professional accomplishments) and alleged humiliation of subordinates (The Escapist accounts) is the bigger mystery to me.

She's neither 22 nor 32. And the information is right there in the public CA records. Due to her Green Card status, it is also on services that provide dB search records for USCIS and DHS. Linking to and/or displaying it, would be straight up doxing. So don't be tempted to do it; as it's neither worth the aggravation that it will bring, nor does it serve any meaningful purpose.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

CrazyTolradi posted:

You're one of those guys who waits up until midnight for a game release and gets enraged because it isn't out the second the clock hits midnight, aren't you?

Pretty sure Derek posted a time it'd be out on the 3rd, it's like midnight or so for him now I'm guessing.

I will post the link when it goes live. My server is hosted in a different time zone from me (EST) :)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

duckfarts posted:

Señor Smart, other than making over a MEELION nerds nervous due to sunk cost fallacy, do you enjoy any games that are not your own or are spacemans games?

Of course. I love all types of games; but the most engaging games for me are hardcore flight sims.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
More like engin and tonic.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Maldoror posted:

raggle fraggle

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SirTagz posted:

Why the gently caress are you arguing about the use of Cryengine. It is completely irrelevant. It might have been the only reasonable choice at the time, might have been the second best. It does not matter..

Do you really thing that CR would have managed a project backed by UE4 any better? You are only hung up on Cryengine because this name dropping is the only thing you feel confident about from the sidelines.

This is the really salient point. Which engine they picked doesn't help anything when Chris decides that the boots on the marine character model are not up to his exacting standards, or that the Constellation needs to be re-designed for the 5th time.

And they have been solving technical issues with cryengine, but again that doesn't magically make a fun game or make their design choices not be steaming piles of dogshit.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Dusty Lens posted:

How's that working out for them?

The project is completely hosed, but that's not the engine's fault.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

:psyduck: The fuuuuuuuck

The ride never ends.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Gwaihir posted:

This is the really salient point. Which engine they picked doesn't help anything when Chris decides that the boots on the marine character model are not up to his exacting standards, or that the Constellation needs to be re-designed for the 5th time.

And they have been solving technical issues with cryengine, but again that doesn't magically make a fun game or make their design choices not be steaming piles of dogshit.

No one is arguing or claiming that going with a different engine would have saved the entire project - more that its just another example of making the worst possible choice at all times. We dissect SC all the time in this thread, why are people getting angry about enginechat?

If it was UE3/4 it would still be a complete mess but it wouldn't have been completely ridiculous to choose Unreal in the first place.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

D_Smart posted:

Of course. I love all types of games; but the most engaging games for me are hardcore flight sims.

DCS and the likes?

Also what is the best drat space sim ever (that actually exists)?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

It took FFXIV like a year and a half to switch from one engine to another and it was going from a horrible proprietary engine that ran like poo poo and wasn't designed to be used at all on an MMO to one of the most efficient MMO engines in the market that can run on a toaster.

This is true, and it shows *again*, how just taking good graphics comes 3rd behind making the game play good and good art direction. Technologically, FF14 graphics are pretty bad by even 2012 standards, but with proper art direction, it's easily one of the prettier MMOs out there.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Should have made it flip around the belly poking through the shirt.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mukip posted:

The ride never ends.

Well, it is true. It's (not) going to be a F2P MMO that relies on people buying skins and ships.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Now make it so that Ben is pushing tacos or dollar bills into Sandi's and Gary's mouths.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
He actually looks happy in that gif :3:. He hasn't looked genuinely happy in any media they've put out for months.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Gwaihir posted:

Or telling a programmer to drop everything to write a fluid simulation for a drinks mixing mini-game.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

In the scale of project fuckups, the use of CryEngine is the smallest of the problems. Scope creep, poor project management, and perfectionism is the real issue, and that happens on any project, anywhere.

Best case scenario at this point is that SC creates so many bitter kickstarter vets that any future crowd funded game has a huge chorus of people saying "no stretch goals. Finish the game first".

Mukip posted:

The ride never ends.

Redshift25k is a MWLL and MWO exile too. Poor dude changes games that aren't out yet and is forever disappointed.

Of course I recognize the name because I'm the same thing.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Falcon BMS just had a massive update out of nowhere. Just sayin'.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

TTerrible posted:

No one is arguing or claiming that going with a different engine would have saved the entire project - more that its just another example of making the worst possible choice at all times. We dissect SC all the time in this thread, why are people getting angry about enginechat?

If it was UE3/4 it would still be a complete mess but it wouldn't have been completely ridiculous to choose Unreal in the first place.

Cryengine wasn't a completely ridiculous choice, it's just an odd thing to get hung up on.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Nickiepoo posted:

Also what is the best drat space sim ever (that actually exists)?
Kerbal Space Program.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

tooterfish posted:

Kerbal Space Program.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Io_ posted:

Or telling a programmer to drop everything to write a fluid simulation for a drinks mixing mini-game.

Hairy Roberts is the best thing to come out of SC since Gary. They should just go gently caress space then make a different minigames then jam that poo poo together like a Gamecube party game. Would be much more fun and maybe exist.

Photosyphilis
Jul 17, 2014

Science rules!
I wanna see a compiled list of all the humanitarian things you could've done with all the money that was funneled into this spergs wet dream

Plankalkuel
Mar 29, 2008

Berious posted:

Hairy Roberts is the best thing to come out of SC since Gary. They should just go gently caress space then make a different minigames then jam that poo poo together like a Gamecube party game. Would be much more fun and maybe exist.

Just make a full game out of the Barman-in-a-Spaceship idea. You could have different alien species with different needs (and incompatibilities, like "no water"). Maybe get a bit of "Papers Please!" and lots of SciFi references in there. Nerds would love it.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Photosyphilis posted:

I wanna see a compiled list of all the humanitarian things you could've done with all the money that was funneled into this spergs wet dream

About 185 houses in Haiti for earthquake victims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

Tippis posted:

Then again, if Frontier managed to turn the engine at the heart of Kinectimals (2010) and turn it into a space engine for Elite (2014), it just further suggests that maybe the CIG guys simply don't know what they're doing.

That alone makes me want to pick up E:D once Horizons releases. They should seriously use that for advertising.

• Locked thread