Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

I used to live in Dallas and the bbq seemed sad there compared to Austin.

I eat the Austin BBQ you haven't even heard of yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gwaihir posted:

I used to live in Dallas and the bbq seemed sad there compared to Austin.

most of it probably is

there are some good places though

its just that for every good place there are like 10 Dickeys for example

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Okay yeah that's actually pretty funny. "ATTENTION PRESS: Big changes coming, soon. What are they? Well... ships will fly somewhat differently. No screenshots, no dates. Many developers died to bring you this information, please respect it."

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Why do Star Citizens get so upset over people not taking their game and/or purchasing decisions seriously?

I chipped in 30$ to crowfall this year but I'm not about to go into a rant if you think I'm a dumbass for doing so. Hell, you'd probably be right.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Agrajag posted:

huaaa... what? :psyduck:

This is one of the really baffling things that true Citizen's keep saying, but there's literally no reason to actually back the game now. It's either going to come out and then anyone can just buy it like a normal person as nothing the backers get is exclusive in anyway OR it's going to tank and you've not just burnt your money. At this stage you're accepting risk for no reward which is not a clever thing to do, but somehow to them taking on more and more risk with no reward is the smart move.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
I gave £80 to Yooka-Laylee. It will probably be poo poo.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ShredsYouSay posted:

I gave £80 to Yooka-Laylee. It will probably be poo poo.
Please don't say this.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Deki posted:

Why do Star Citizens get so upset over people not taking their game and/or purchasing decisions seriously?

I chipped in 30$ to crowfall this year but I'm not about to go into a rant if you think I'm a dumbass for doing so. Hell, you'd probably be right.

I get the feeling that a lot of redditors are really investing their ego into this and take someone making fun of something they love as a personal threat. Also they post on a place where anyone who criticizes them gets downvoted so it makes them more sure that they're "right." As opposed to SA where everyone shits on everyone so you either learn to deal with it or leave.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

hungry_bear_grr posted:

I get the feeling that a lot of redditors are really investing their ego into this and take someone making fun of something they love as a personal threat. Also they post on a place where anyone who criticizes them gets downvoted so it makes them more sure that they're "right." As opposed to SA where everyone shits on everyone so you either learn to deal with it or leave.

I highly recommend getting poo poo on/making GBS threads on everyone. It's good.

Just poo poopost

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EminusSleepus posted:

are those fake nails?

or her nails is just so fugly?

Why do you think spaceship nerds would know anything about nail polish? Ask the nail polish nerds: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3706390

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
Why is there a SC guitar pick? Why?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I think the reason it happens so aggressively with citizens comes down to two factors. People always defend their purchasing habits, that's human nature. But SC backers seem to have an especially hard time separating the possibility/probability of the project's failure from their own individual worth. I mean let's face it, nobody wants to have to say "Yeah I put money into this thing and it turned out it was bullshit" but most people will own up to it when it happens. Because SC hasn't technically failed yet for them, the drive to reaffirm their decision to back is strong. Then that's multiplied by whatever amount they put into it because it's much easier to own up to a bad buy if it didn't cost you much than it is if you spent an entire paycheck on whatever it is you bought.

SC backers just can't seem to separate the project from themselves. I was actually talking about this with a buddy of mine who is a "whale" the other day. He backed like way back during the kickstarter days and went pretty bananas with it to get packages for himself and his wife. He's been following this whole thing and I asked him what he thought about all the people rushing around the internet attacking people who have doubts and he said he really wished people would just shut the hell up about it, because it's not doing anybody any good. He also said that when he backed the project he knew there was a very real chance that he was basically just setting his money on fire, and that being aware of that from the beginning makes it easy for him to stay away from acting like a crybaby online.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Martout posted:

To inspire sweet new riffs like that heavy burn one or whatever it was that ripped off firefly.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

kikkelivelho posted:

There isn't a single engine on the market that has the features that CIG/Roberts need and want. They would have to do a rewrite no matter what engine they chose. They've started modifying Cryengine so might as well stick with it.

I doubt there's a single engine in the Universe that can fulfil the frankly mobile sands of what CiG need/want, and that is basically the point. If you size your engine based on spaceflight, that's one thing, but then you commit to an FPS, which places your requirements firmly in an entirely new domain. Just consider the scales involved in, say, a simulated arena 200km across, and one of 200m. it was like the really early prevarication over newtonian and 'plane' physics; you can put both in the game, but they will significantly alter the gameplay experience.

There's a reason why the 'seamless' scale games aren't taking off, and that's a technical limitation in what we call 'mathing really big numbers' and the arbitrary significance of measuring an angle with a baseline of a couple of km vs a couple of metres. Most games entirely cheat and change the distances involved to a scale of their own choosing.

Also, if you're _rewriting_ a cocking _engine_, you started off with an entirely terrible premise to begin with, which doesn't fill anyone who actually programs with a lot of hope that this is going to 'come together' in any fashion.

Project management defines the scope of the project. A good project manager will stick to deadlines and provide a solid go/no go on work. He'll also be the unsmiling bastard who asks you where your stuff is on a daily basis. Ideally you should hate your project manager because he's there to keep you honest. I speak of this as a programmer for a _large_ corporate, where it's applied as a tool to ensure that the deadlines don't shift.

Why's this important? Well, it allows you to manage your resourcing better, especially amongst multiple critical paths. That's not to say that you could have sysadmin jumping on programming, but you could avoid laying people off because their pipeline fizzled out. it allows for a really good idea of how the project is doing in terms of a 1-100%, and allows for marketing to spool up their campaigns, which are often created months in advance.

The opposite model is JIT and doesn't allow for planning. It's a reactive process where someone makes a determination, often without quorum and adjusts the whole tooling path. _This_ is the biggest problem with open-ended crowd-funding where people felt they had to justify the increased money with bigger and better features, when all people want is a solid game.

poo poo, I threw in my $35 when it was Croberts and the Cloud Imperium website, before the kickstarter, but nothing I'm seeing speaks to competance in planning, and failing to plan is planning to fail.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Martout posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBfmZgmJanc

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Eldragon posted:

In the scale of project fuckups, the use of CryEngine is the smallest of the problems. Scope creep, poor project management, and perfectionism is the real issue, and that happens on any project, anywhere.

Best case scenario at this point is that SC creates so many bitter kickstarter vets that any future crowd funded game has a huge chorus of people saying "no stretch goals. Finish the game first".

Redshift25k is a MWLL and MWO exile too. Poor dude changes games that aren't out yet and is forever disappointed.

Of course I recognize the name because I'm the same thing.

Hey, I recognize your name! You're the guy that made the great pixel art of the ships in the previous threads' OP:s. Would it be okay to use the art in a potential SAGDC game?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I think the project plan is whatever Chris feels like that day. Also literally every turd has to be polished to a shine because he'll reject it on a whim if your exploratory prototype doesn't look flawless.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martout posted:

To play the worst 80s final countdown ripoff songs.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

hungry_bear_grr posted:

Someone needs to write a goddamn sociology paper on Star Citizen. There's both resentment at "publishers" and big corporations and big money, but also loads of class resentment and competitive spending for "luxury" JPEGs that's way worse than any game I've ever seen. To participate means you're a "citizen" which has this veneer of democracy and openness but you're handing money by the wheelbarrow-load to this secretive business, which pays its employees at lower rates and subsidizes the L.A. rich lifestyle of the founders.

The actual Star Citizen universe is dystopian. A bunch of private companies selling you ships, Gary Oldman looking like a constipated Mussolini, a bunch of war. Blegh. Whatever.

The other poster made a good point, too, which is that no one needs to defend it. According to them, it's enormously successful and has accomplished all its goals! It's worth $93+ million! It's transforming the entire gaming industry as we post. It will come out and humiliate all the critics -- it's inevitable. Actually no but they believe that, and how dare you criticize it you monster. But according to them, they've already won.

It's like, even if a thing is hugely successful and people want to consume it, more and more of them can't enjoy the thing without feeling resentment that *other* people don't want to consume the thing, too. But you shouldn't actually care.

Edit: Dickeys BBQ is actually good.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 3, 2015

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

honestly if it fails i bet their "Told you so!" will last about one day... theses aren't the smartest people in the world we are talking about. They are very inattentive... Otherwise they would be backers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3rcwsc/criticism_for_supporting_the_game/

Deranged M
Nov 14, 2012

grimcreaper posted:

honestly if it fails i bet their "Told you so!" will last about one day... theses aren't the smartest people in the world we are talking about. They are very inattentive... Otherwise they would be backers.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3rcwsc/criticism_for_supporting_the_game/

quote:

Usually when I meet strangers who are skeptics, I buy them a copy. That usually breaks the laziness barrier and they do some actual research.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Deranged M posted:

quote:

Usually when I meet strangers who are skeptics, I buy them a copy. That usually breaks the laziness barrier and they do some actual research.

I am increasingly being reminded of bitcoiners.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
North Carolina (non-vinegar) BBQ > Texas BBQ.

All day every day.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Man... You know, i enjoy this thread because the Citizens provide such a poo poo show of their own. I wanted Star Citizen to succeed VERY badly. But i never backed it. I looked at the promises from the kickstarter and thought "Ok, that game is doable. But i highly doubt it will be out in a year or 2." So i held off. Then all the bullshit sales started, and it became more and more apparent that it was a scam, or atleast seemed like it. And today, here we are. And i still have no jpegs.

Folks, im jpeg poor :(

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Deki posted:

I am increasingly being reminded of bitcoiners.

I remember the coinista who tried to give bitcoins as tips to waitresses

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Decrepus posted:

OK google is Star Citizen real

I asked google:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
:gary: PAAAAAARRP PRRAAAAAAAP

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So I'm kind of out of the loop regarding Star Citizen.

I mean I knew it was a blatant ripoff when first announced (2500$ for a ship ran all the warning bells and made me think "loving hell no"), and later came to the conclusion that it was a project that would eventually collapse from sheer hubris, and that Derek Smart has been put through the wringer recently for trying to get the truth, but what's changed in the last month that's making people rally against it even more than before? Did financial information leak? Did someone important quit? Did it leak that they're a cult or something?

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

why does :gary: say paaarp instead of hooooonk

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

LCL-Dead posted:

North Carolina (non-vinegar) BBQ > Texas BBQ.

All day every day.

If I'm saucing my bbq it damned well better be vinegar based sauce, gently caress sweet sauces :colbert:

Eonwe posted:

most of it probably is

there are some good places though

its just that for every good place there are like 10 Dickeys for example

yea I was thinking of theplaces like Dickeys which are a loving blight of an excuse for bbq :negative:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ShredsYouSay posted:

Because :gary:PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

ShredsYouSay posted:

One is more fun

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

OWLS! posted:

Because :gary:PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP
i thought it was meant to an air horn rather than a fart tho

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
Where the gently caress is the new article you stupid goons

Derek: 1

Star Citizen: 94 million

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

the Orb of Zot posted:

I mean I knew it was a blatant ripoff when first announced (2500$ for a ship ran all the warning bells and made me think "loving hell no"), and later came to the conclusion that it was a project that would eventually collapse from sheer hubris, and that Derek Smart has been put through the wringer recently for trying to get the truth, but what's changed in the last month that's making people rally against it even more than before? Did financial information leak? Did someone important quit? Did it leak that they're a cult or something?

I think the Chairman's Rant is when people went "woah". After that places that had been giving them sloppy BJs started to pile on.

Goons will just dance on the grave of anything though.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

the Orb of Zot posted:

Because recently started citizen backers have proven themselves crazier than initially thought.

They'd literally rather throw more money at sc than listen to reason.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

MVP posted:

Where the gently caress is the new article you stupid goons

Derek: 1

Star Citizen: 94 million

He said 2pm est

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Romes128 posted:

Because recently started citizen backers have proven themselves crazier than initially thought.

They'd literally rather throw more money at sc than listen to reason.
I also like it when they throw money after refusing to listen to reason.

"It's a scam eh? Well gently caress you!" *Whips out credit card, wife packs up kids and leaves*

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Goonettes and Gentlegoons, in preparation for my last, final, Star Citizen video, I have one thing to ask of you.

Your screeching, nails-on-chalkboard, horrific, out-of-tune, dying cat, terrible singing voice.

Please turn your attention to this audio file, Guideline.mp3
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f7sfrtqzzblfdgw/Guideline.mp3?dl=0

See where I'm going?

Awhile ago in the Goonrathi forums I was going to put this together, during more optimistic times, but it got shelved. Now, I think it a fitting end to my involvement with Star Citizen.

If you would like to participate, please select a line from the lyrics below, record it in mp3 format, upload it to a dropbox, and post me the address to download.

If you do record a line, please include one chours and one 3x chourus.

Should you need a backing track, turn to this youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfxyJZ0ry7k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

ShredsYouSay posted:

i thought it was meant to an air horn rather than a fart tho

It can be both

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/3j9RIvm.png :nws:

:gary:

• Locked thread