Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Mortanis posted:

Is there something you need to enable to get Netflix running native under Firefox on Windows? I've read a bunch of articles saying that it was coming earlier in the year, but Firefox still wants me to install Silverlight. I'm on 41.0.2 and would love to fully ditch Chrome here.

I don't believe it's there, yet. I recommend using IE for Netflix if you're on Windows 8 or higher since it lets you go above 720p. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Mortanis posted:

Is there something you need to enable to get Netflix running native under Firefox on Windows?

A time machine would help. As far as I know, Firefox supports the necessary features, but Netflix hasn't enabled HTML5 video on Firefox yet (I've heard that they're not 100% sure the DRM in Firefox is DRM-y enough?). Here's the authoritative place to see Netflix's video support: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/23742

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mortanis posted:

Is there something you need to enable to get Netflix running native under Firefox on Windows? I've read a bunch of articles saying that it was coming earlier in the year, but Firefox still wants me to install Silverlight. I'm on 41.0.2 and would love to fully ditch Chrome here.

Originally Firefox didn't want to support it because of closed source things, blah blah blah. Then they realized without Netflix their marketshare would crater, so they had to switch over. Now they're kinda waiting on Netflix and/or still transitioning.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

I would swear that with the last firefox update to 41.0.2, now when youtube (HTML5) progresses through a playlist, the next video will start with the audio at softer volume, return to the set volume when you change position in the video, and then go softer again when it moves to the next one. It was so dramatic at first I thought a stereo channel was cutting out. Anyone else seen anything like that?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Firefox 42.0 apparently has x64 support.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
This may be the wrong place, but since uBlock Origin is in the thread title, I thought I'd ask. I whitelisted a website, but its ad displays still do not show up. Is it a uBlock Origin issue or a Firefox issue? Does whitelisting https://www.motherjones.com (for example) not whitelist the ads for the site because they're not hosted at that domain?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Alec Eiffel posted:

This may be the wrong place, but since uBlock Origin is in the thread title, I thought I'd ask. I whitelisted a website, but its ad displays still do not show up. Is it a uBlock Origin issue or a Firefox issue? Does whitelisting https://www.motherjones.com (for example) not whitelist the ads for the site because they're not hosted at that domain?

Do you possibly have privacy.trackingprotection.enabled set to true in your about :config? I've noticed that most of the ads on that page don't load if it gets stuck loading some of the tracking stuff.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Alec Eiffel posted:

Does whitelisting https://www.motherjones.com (for example) not whitelist the ads for the site because they're not hosted at that domain?

Exactly. You'll need to unblock something(s) in here generally

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

jeeves posted:

Firefox 42.0 apparently has x64 support.

It officially adds 64-bit support on Windows. There have been official 64-bit builds on other platforms for ages now.

I don't think they are going to offer the 64 bit version immediately on the main download site, just on the FTP. See https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1181014

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Is tracking protection necessary if you run uBlock? I haven't found a good explanation of how FF knows which things to block when tracking protection is on.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Here are details on Tracking Protection.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Fangs404 posted:

Is tracking protection necessary if you run uBlock? I haven't found a good explanation of how FF knows which things to block when tracking protection is on.

Like all of these tools: there is a list it uses to filter the requests.

uBlock origin should show all the ads if you whitelist a page/domain, provided you don't have the "advanced user" mode on, which will change it to more of a no script style JavaScript whitelisting functionality in addition to the advertising blocking filters.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nalin posted:

Do you possibly have privacy.trackingprotection.enabled set to true in your about :config? I've noticed that most of the ads on that page don't load if it gets stuck loading some of the tracking stuff.

I did and I turned it off. This solved the issue.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Alec Eiffel posted:

I did and I turned it off. This solved the issue.

If you're interested, you can disable that feature for a site without disabling it globally by clicking that little shield that shows up next to the favicon.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Is it possible to backup just some of my addons instead of all of them (thinking of using MozBackup) ? I'm installing Firefox on a new system and I need my login data from Secure Login but not a bunch of other crap.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Trip report FF42 x64 works fine. Feels slightly snappier than Waterfox on the same profile and hardware.

I don't think Waterfox is even relevant any more. If you really want to you can switch your default search engine to the Waterfox guy's "ethical" one.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Nice, thanks!

Also, 64-bit FF 42 is running great. After a day of browsing, I haven't found anything that's broken for me yet.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I decided to try out a 64bit Nightly build with e10s and I'm glad I did. I'd been holding off for a very long time due to arewee10syet.com saying a few of my must-have extensions weren't working, but they appear to be working perfectly. Dunno who maintains that site, but it apparently needs some updating.

e10s goes a long way towards reducing the jank and lag. It's not perfect yet, but it does give me hope that Firefox can finally climb out of the hole it's in and regain parity with every other browser out there.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Is there a specific download I need for the 64bit version? My Firefox just upgraded itself to v42.0, but I'm guessing that's still just 32bit?

I've seen a couple of download sites for a 64bit version but got some seriously shonky vibes off them. Like, why would Mozilla not host the file on their own servers, right?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Is there a specific download I need for the 64bit version?

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/42.0/win64/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Fangs404 posted:

Nice, thanks!

Also, 64-bit FF 42 is running great. After a day of browsing, I haven't found anything that's broken for me yet.

The removal of Java does bug me, but the only reason I ever use Java is loving around with truly ancient websites.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Nintendo Kid posted:

The removal of Java does bug me, but the only reason I ever use Java is loving around with truly ancient websites.

Did they forcibly remove Java the way Chrome did?

This is worrying to me, I am forced to use it for various tasks at work.

I guess I'll have to use IE or some poo poo for that now.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

jeeves posted:

Did they forcibly remove Java the way Chrome did?

This is worrying to me, I am forced to use it for various tasks at work.

I guess I'll have to use IE or some poo poo for that now.

The 64 bit Java plugin I was using in Waterfox is missing from the plugins page, the only ones listed are Cisco OpenH264, Primetime Content Decryption, and Flash.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You can keep a separate install of a Firefox 32-bit ESR release around for your Java websites, if run with the --no-remote flag it won't interfere with the running Firefox instance as I recall.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Alereon posted:

You can keep a separate install of a Firefox 32-bit ESR release around for your Java websites, if run with the --no-remote flag it won't interfere with the running Firefox instance as I recall.
But unless the 64 Win version uses a different path for the profile I'd also recommend making a copy of your profile and pointing the ESR version to with the -profile option, otherwise every time you switch between them Firefox will check your profile for version compatibility and might do some weird stuff. We use the ESR at my work and I've never had an issue with it moving a profile from a newer to older version, but I wouldn't trust it to do it constantly with my main profile.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Command_Line_Options

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I downloaded the x64 installer off of the above FTP link, and manually pointed it to be installed to "C:\Program Files\" and "C:\Program Files (x86)"

Is there any way to tell otherwise if it is actually x64? I would think it would say in the About Firefox like Chrome does, but newp.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

jeeves posted:

I downloaded the x64 installer off of the above FTP link, and manually pointed it to be installed to "C:\Program Files\" and "C:\Program Files (x86)"

Is there any way to tell otherwise if it is actually x64? I would think it would say in the About Firefox like Chrome does, but newp.

Go to Windows' task manager. If it's 32 bit it'll say so (either as "*32" or something like that on Windows 7 and Vista, or as "(32 bit)" on 8 or 10), otherwise if there's no indication it's 64 bit.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
You can also type in about:buildconfig into the address bar and under Build platform if it says;

target
x86_64-pc-mingw32

then that's the 64-bit version of Firefox.

But just check task manager like Nintendo Kid says, it's easier.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Thank you. That was going to be my next question :)

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Ok, found my first thing that doesn't work in 64-bit FF - BF4's Battlelog. The browser plugin is 32-bit only. Not sure if they're working on a 64-bit version.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Fangs404 posted:

Ok, found my first thing that doesn't work in 64-bit FF - BF4's Battlelog. The browser plugin is 32-bit only. Not sure if they're working on a 64-bit version.

Flash is the only plugin that 64-bit Firefox allows. It's part of their deprecation strategy for all plugins.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Fangs404 posted:

I thought they moved to plugin-free mode, because of how Chrome completely broke their NPAPI plugin?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065244991565242/

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looks like addon signing is now forced in beta channel :argh:

e: oh, not forced but it switched it without asking.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 5, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
You can still force it off, at least for the time being. xpinstall.signatures.required:false worked for me last night.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What's this "visit <random site out of your history>" poo poo that keeps popping up when I type in the address bar and how to I get it to go away?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am bummed my work is thinking about dropping firefox support simply because firefox wants to drop silverlight, flash, etc. That should be their sign to get with the times, not double down.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I wouldn't say Firefox wants to drop Flash support; there's a reason Shumway exists.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

So will Firefox eventually update to the 64 bit version? Or do I have to look for an alternate download link at some point, if I want to make the switch.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

mike12345 posted:

So will Firefox eventually update to the 64 bit version? Or do I have to look for an alternate download link at some point, if I want to make the switch.

They just haven't edited the download page, apparently.

EN-US Win64 link; other languages are like the relevant Windows link but with os=win64 instead of win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I thought they moved to plugin-free mode, because of how Chrome completely broke their NPAPI plugin?

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065244991565242/

Dang, that doesn't seem to work in FF yet. I get this:

I'm sure they're working on it.