Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not sure what I expected from Repo Man, but it certainly wasn't that. What a fun film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure what I expected from Repo Man, but it certainly wasn't that. What a fun film.

My wife blind-bought it based on the cover, and it pretty much immediately became one of our favorite movies.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
nthing the appreciation for Repo Man - I always thought I had seen it on afternoon TV at some point and bought it as soon as it came out. Turns out I had seen Men At Work (which when I rewatched it, didn't hold up) and Repo Man was a total trip but has become one of my favourites in the collection.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
It's sad though the very late followup Repo Chick from 2009 or so by Alex Cox is not a good movie at all. It's not like Repo Man at all and a bit of a slog to watch. Also insanely low budget, to the point of being obnoxious.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My dad actually introduced me to Repo Man years ago. The plain labeled BEER has become a running joke whenever we're shopping.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
I can't remember does the criterion website sell their stuff for 50 percent off when the B&N sale is going on? I finally got around to watching Weekend and realized I have to own the Blu Ray. I have that 10 bucks criterion have me so I want to use it during a sale.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

The_Rob posted:

does the criterion website sell their stuff for 50 percent off when the B&N sale is going on?

No.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

The_Rob posted:

I can't remember does the criterion website sell their stuff for 50 percent off when the B&N sale is going on? I finally got around to watching Weekend and realized I have to own the Blu Ray. I have that 10 bucks criterion have me so I want to use it during a sale.

which Weekend

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage

Rusty Staub posted:

which Weekend

Godard

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

:thumbsup:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Heads up, two new Criterion Blu box sets at Costco, 59.99 each:

Hitchcock - Foreign Correspondent, The Man Who Knew Too Much, The 39 Steps, The Lady Vanishes

Rock and Roll - Gimme Shelter, Monterey Pop, Quadrophenia, A Hard Day's Night

A Hard Day's Night looks repackaged - it was sold as dual format in a soft case but this looks to be just blu in a clamshell.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

I have never seen a single Criterion in any of the Costcos around me ever. Would buy both of those.

Edit: Went to Costco today and they didn't have any :(

E.G.G.S. fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 3, 2015

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
The Hitchcock set is Blu-only, no dual format?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
There's a Criterion Hitchcock set?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

morestuff posted:

There's a Criterion Hitchcock set?

It's just a bundle of previous releases. Nothing new.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Huh. So that was Mulholland Drive. Yeah, probably...probably going to have to rewatch that one a few more times. Enjoyed it immensely overall, of course.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So with the bi-annual sale coming soon (tomorrow?), what new releases (since the last sale) come highly recommended? It's hard to find something that lets you search for releases by their release date, and even Criterion only lists their new releases back to August, and the best list I could find was the Wikipedia listing for them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Criterion_Collection_DVD_and_Blu-ray_releases

Looking at the list, it looks like Kwaidan, Mulholland Drive and Blind Chance are ones to definitely get, but I love the hidden gem nature of Criterions, so lay some blind buys on me!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

GrandpaPants posted:

So with the bi-annual sale coming soon (tomorrow?), what new releases (since the last sale) come highly recommended? It's hard to find something that lets you search for releases by their release date, and even Criterion only lists their new releases back to August, and the best list I could find was the Wikipedia listing for them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Criterion_Collection_DVD_and_Blu-ray_releases

Looking at the list, it looks like Kwaidan, Mulholland Drive and Blind Chance are ones to definitely get, but I love the hidden gem nature of Criterions, so lay some blind buys on me!

Apu Trilogy comes out this month! :getin:

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I'm definitely grabbing Mulholland Drive, and probably also Repo Man which I've never seen.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

I'm definitely grabbing Mulholland Drive, and probably also Repo Man which I've never seen.

I showed Repo Man to movie group friends about a month ago and some of them will randomly text me about how it was awesome.

Key and Peele did a visual reference to Repo Man before their show ended and it made me smile that my friends understood the reference because I showed them Repo Man.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Huh. So that was Mulholland Drive. Yeah, probably...probably going to have to rewatch that one a few more times. Enjoyed it immensely overall, of course.

It's more or less about the horror of subjective reality vs objective reality. There's a pretty clear delineation between fantasy & reality in it and once you recognize the scene where this occurs things will click into place. And seriously I cant emphasize this enough but if you ever get a chance watch it theatrically. I don't have the bd yet but I can't really see it doing the sound design justice, and the old dvd certainly doesn't.

If you haven't seen Lost Highway, check it out. It's about the same things but I think it's a stronger movie overall. It's a little headier but definitely sheds some light on Mulholland Dr. I recommend giving Steven Soderbergh's Schizopolis also in the Criterion Collection a shot because it is about the same things as well. And then there's the whole laundry list of movies that inform Mulholland Dr. like Vertigo, Persona, Gilda, Sunset Blvd, Contempt, etc etc.

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't remember when the last sale was but:

Judex, Valerie & Her Week of Wonders, Code Unknown, It Happened One Night, Breaking the Waves, Like Someone In Love, Day For Night, Every Man For Himself, Love Streams, Safe.

These are all from within the year I think??? Probably not all but lots. And they're all good.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Nov 10, 2015

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Criminal Minded posted:

Holy poo poo, dude, that is your movie.

Incidentally I watched Cox's Walker over the weekend, also on Criterion, and I loved that too.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Everyone should buy Zatoichi.

I'm rewatching it right now and it's great even the second time, although, uh, HD is not kind to baldcaps in old samurai movies.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone have a spare B&N discount code I can stack with the regular sale? Could be the difference between getting 5 movies instead of 3 or 4.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

RichterIX posted:

Everyone should buy Zatoichi.

I'm rewatching it right now and it's great even the second time, although, uh, HD is not kind to baldcaps in old samurai movies.

Oh man, this. I was a little worried when I bought that set blind, but every movie I've seen so far has been fantastic. Zatoichi might even overtake Yojimbo as my favorite samurai.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Janus Films tweeted that they found the camera negative to London After Midnight

Actually a VHS of Flatliners - honest mistake

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Egbert Souse posted:

Janus Films tweeted that they found the camera negative to London After Midnight

Actually a VHS of Flatliners - honest mistake

I'd love to know the story behind how one could be confused for the other.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

zandert33 posted:

I'd love to know the story behind how one could be confused for the other.

The film canister had the label "Negative: London After Midnight" but when they opened it up it was just a VHS copy of Flatliners. Didn't even have the cardboard sleeve, just the tape.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That is honestly hilarious.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

TrixRabbi posted:

The film canister had the label "Negative: London After Midnight" but when they opened it up it was just a VHS copy of Flatliners. Didn't even have the cardboard sleeve, just the tape.

I mean you don't even open it to make sure it's not empty?

Pretty funny troll by whoever put the VHS in there though.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Requesting recommendations between (I'm assuming) two very different movies, La Vie de Bohème or Code Unknown? I'm already familiar with the unpleasantries of Michael Haneke but not Kaurismaki.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

if you don't like haneke's didactic moralizing in say funny games or the white ribbon you will probably hate code unknown. plus this time it's about racial inequities in western europe. the narrative structure is sort of opaque but it's really a beautifully shot movie and juliette binoche's performance is excellent.

kaurismaki on the other hand makes generally pretty droll and slight movies that have a good heart behind them. they're entertaining but never really leave a lasting impression on me. movies about how hard it is to be an artist are hit or miss with me but i found la vie de boheme particularly unresonant.

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Nov 12, 2015

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Radio Spiricom posted:

if you don't like haneke's didactic moralizing in say funny games or the white ribbon you will probably hate code unknown. plus this time it's about racial inequities in western europe. the narrative structure is sort of opaque but it's really a beautifully shot movie and juliette binoche's performance is excellent.

kaurismaki on the other hand makes generally pretty droll and slight movies that have a good heart behind them. they're entertaining but never really leave a lasting impression on me. movies about how hard it is to be an artist are hit or miss with me but i found la vie de boheme particularly unresonant.

Fair points. Similar situation with Le Havre?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
La Vie de Boheme lampoons the lifestyle more than it tries to make you empathise with its subjects, so I'd say that's not really the best criticism.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i grabbed:
-Trilogy of Life (blind buy)
-By Brakhage
-Shoah (only seen the first hour, thanks to my public library copy being scuffed beyond repair)

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
What are some essential Criterions that aren't on Hulu? I want to maybe blind-buy something for this sale but I hate to spend money on something I could just check out on hulu for free.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Basebf555 posted:

What are some essential Criterions that aren't on Hulu? I want to maybe blind-buy something for this sale but I hate to spend money on something I could just check out on hulu for free.

This purports to be a list. Most are OOP, so you wouldn't find them for sale as a Criterion anyway, but even a number of classics (looks like all Anderson, Gilliam and Tati, and some Fellini, but also films like Make Way for Tomorrow, Shoah, Harold and Maude, Godzilla and 12 Angry Men)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Got Time Bandits. I'm going to pretend it's because Brazil is one of my favorite films but really it's for that sweet lenticular cover.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Cloks posted:

Got Time Bandits. I'm going to pretend it's because Brazil is one of my favorite films but really it's for that sweet lenticular cover.

Time Bandits is a great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Cloks posted:

Don't forget the dope as gently caress time map insert. (And also because it's really fun.)