Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

Vaders Jester posted:

Not sure I agree with Dan Carter for Player of the Year, he wasn't particularly great in the Super 15 this year unless they're just looking at RWC knockout stage performances or something.

I thought it would be Pocock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Carter played himself back into such a rich vein of form for someone his age and propensity for injury. Peaking in the world cup final was almost too perfect. Pocock will get his turn.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Being good in a World Cup certainly has its merit and did a lot for Carter but I thought that Pocock was a better over the course of the year and was more consistently excellent. I agree that Jones should have got coach of the year, what he's done for Japan is nothing short of incredible.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Vaders Jester posted:

Not sure I agree with Dan Carter for Player of the Year, he wasn't particularly great in the Super 15 this year unless they're just looking at RWC knockout stage performances or something.

I guess the RWC performances were weighted heavier than Super Rugby. Carter was incredible from the quarterfinals onwards.

dex_sda posted:

What about Jones

All three of Hansen, Cheika and Jones have a solid claim, and it had to go to someone. Considering what a shambles the Wallabies were when Cheika was appointed, he has done a remarkable job at making them even a semi-decent team.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
Carter's retiring so this was always going to be his.
Hoper was better than all of them imo.

Woden
May 6, 2006

dex_sda posted:

What about Jones

Jones used to do the same thing when coaching Australia, we'd have a really poo poo team but he just knew how to beat SA so we'd squeak by with a win against a much better team.

Other than beating SA Japan pretty much did as expected.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Beating Samoa was never a guarantee for Japan as Samoa had come second in the Pacific Nations Cup, they had lost to the USA in the same tournament and Japan were one of only three teams to have won every single one of their own scrums in the RWC.
Getting three wins in that group was pretty big considering they were likely projected to only get one, the progression they've made under Jones has been excellent.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 3, 2015

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

Tyma posted:

01. Team Failure
02. Jader's Jesters
03. San Francisco 49ers
04. Pioneers Kings
05. Samson Lee's Face
06. 15Men1Cuck
07. Quade Sitting On The Sidelines
08. Tyma RFC
09. Leigh Halfpenny Memorial XV
10. HGHINMYASS
11. Leigh Halfpenny Memorial Fantasy XV
12. Slothrop
13. Butros
14. The Priestland Psychologists
15. Rhys's Pieces
16. Farts
17. Eggmen

Thank gently caress I only have to send the prize to Scotland this time. PM me an address to claim THE PRIZE, or email me at awfultyma@gmail.com

Glad to see USA with a top 3 finish. A glimpse into the future for them.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?
So who leads the Hakas now

Messam by default?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

meat CRime posted:

Glad to see USA with a top 3 finish. A glimpse into the future for them.

To be fair, they had former Rugby League superstar Jarryd Hayne.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

To be fair, they had former Rugby League superstar Jarryd Hayne.

Not anymore. Of all the problems that the 49ers have, Hayne wasn't one of them, but I suppose if you're going to poo poo the bed, might as well go all in on it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jedimastafez posted:

So who leads the Hakas now

Messam by default?

Messam is headed to Japan, to play in the Top League.

Of the team that started the final, Coles, Aaron Smith and Nehe Milner-Skudder are possibilities. Other than that, Charlie Ngatai who captained the Maori All Blacks will probably be there as 12 or 13, or Aaron Cruden, who probably would have been at the World Cup had it not been for an injury.

Or, because there's precedent of Pasific Islanders leading the haka (Umaga and Mealamu), Kaino might be the one to do it.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Vaders Jester posted:

Not anymore. Of all the problems that the 49ers have, Hayne wasn't one of them, but I suppose if you're going to poo poo the bed, might as well go all in on it.

Jarryd Hayne vs Sam Burgess: which one has had the more disappointing conversion from League?

it's Burgess, because at least Hayne gets his name on the shirt

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Names on shirts are an embarrassment and should be banned in all sports!

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Would love to see Hayne do well, he's a really exciting runner and if he grinds away and learns the game in the practice squad he could make a roster somewhere. Or like Burgess he could go back to being a top level League player.

It's a tough call, I reckon both could make the transition eventually (with Hayne's job being much much tougher) but only if they want to commit to learning a new sport.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
League to union converts (with the exception of Robinson)are nearly always tragically mismanaged.

Robinson was a bit different in that he was on the wing, technical positions like centre or wing forward are much harder to adapt to.

I've heard rumours that money was a big factor in why Burgess was picked and played out of position, not sure how true but it was from someone who is pretty in the know (recent ex international)

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Aye, even Folau has said he's still learning the fullback position despite having been a very successful League convert so it's crazy to think the Burgess would be ready so soon and sadly he might go back to League instead of staying around to get a much better handle at blindside for Bath. (I wouldn't blame him for leaving, the media circus surrounding him has been a shambles.)

hitchensgoespop posted:

I've heard rumours that money was a big factor in why Burgess was picked and played out of position, not sure how true but it was from someone who is pretty in the know (recent ex international)

The whole Burgess thing has been a management nightmare so it having a big money factor wouldn't surprise me at all.

TRISHY
Apr 12, 2005

The Reds have signed Goromaru for Super Rugby next year
Read more here

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

No one deserves that.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Mister Chief posted:

No one deserves that.

Yeah, playing under Richard Graham would suck. I'd have thought he'd be playing for the Japanese team (sunwolves?) next year. Also, didn't the Reds already sign Michalak or was it the Force?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Unimpressed posted:

Also, didn't the Reds already sign Michalak or was it the Force?

I'd say that's exactly what he deserves.

Jedimastafez
Jun 5, 2005

The Stanley Cup has been kidnapped by Gary Bettman! Are you a bad enough dude to rescue it?

Vagabundo posted:

Messam is headed to Japan, to play in the Top League.

Of the team that started the final, Coles, Aaron Smith and Nehe Milner-Skudder are possibilities. Other than that, Charlie Ngatai who captained the Maori All Blacks will probably be there as 12 or 13, or Aaron Cruden, who probably would have been at the World Cup had it not been for an injury.

Or, because there's precedent of Pasific Islanders leading the haka (Umaga and Mealamu), Kaino might be the one to do it.

Ah forgot about that

Yea my next pick would be Aaron Smith

Wepu did the best hakas IMO

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

My cat is unsure about Rhys Priestland

She did very much enjoy the world cup though because it meant people sitting watching Rugby. Thanks Tyma for my prize, I just need to get it framed and put up in my house.

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
What a wonderful prize, especially with the moustache!

But what can we have as a prize for the Six Nations now that he's retired from international rugby? :ohdear: There is this, but who knows if he'll be around by then?

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

fallingdownjoe posted:

There is this, but who knows if he'll be around by then?

Oh my.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

fallingdownjoe posted:

But what can we have as a prize for the Six Nations now that he's retired from international rugby? :ohdear:

I think the real problem is that Rhys Priestland no longer lives 10 minutes away from my house. There is, however, still an infinite source of Liam Williams signiatures in Llanelli :D

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Quade is in Europe now so technically he counts as French for the Six Nations...

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Vaders Jester posted:

Quade is in Europe now so technically he counts as French for the Six Nations...

And thus ends Toulon's dominance of European rugby.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Apollodorus posted:

And thus ends Toulon's dominance of European rugby.

Insh'Allah

E: Quade sounds so happy to be at Toulon too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snajcF4ircQ

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Nov 4, 2015

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Must be tough being paid handsomely to play rugby in the south of France.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
It's easy to scoff at Toulon for killing French rugby with their dirty money but the fans in the south of France are really really into their rugby. You can do a hell of a lot worse than making 6 figures playing in front of a fanatical crowd every week.

E: V V I'm not sure about Toulon but when you look at the support for teams like Toulouse, Perpignan and Montpellier the south of France is a rugby region.

MyChemicalImbalance fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Nov 5, 2015

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

Having a successful team made up of some of the biggest names in world rugby will make people super into their local sports team. If Toulon were mediocre and didn't have the money they do, would they get the same fanatical crowds?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
What were they like 10 years ago?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

What were they like 10 years ago?

poo poo. Boudjellal bought them out while they were in the Pro D2 where they were propping up the table. Starting with Umaga in 2006, he brought in big stars like Gregan and Matfield to get them up to the Top 14 and competitive when there.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I mostly meant what were their fans like when Toulon were poo poo, I knew they used to be pretty bad.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/34732141

...And Burgess is gone.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

:(

For all the shite surrounding him, he was getting pretty good.

We could do with another back row, I'm not sure if there are any out there.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

tarbrush posted:

Edinburgh have shitloads at the moment, I'm sure they could spare you one if you ask nicely.

stavros880
May 2, 2005
I like monkeys

tarbrush posted:

I feel sorry for the guy to be honest. Played out of position in a major tournament. What was he supposed to say? "No, I don't want to play"?
Still think he should have stick it out though. In four years time he'd be a hell of a player for England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

stavros880 posted:

I feel sorry for the guy to be honest. Played out of position in a major tournament. What was he supposed to say? "No, I don't want to play"?
Still think he should have stick it out though. In four years time he'd be a hell of a player for England.

Yup. I'm sure there were some underhand guarantees about him getting a spot when he signed the deal to come over, but even then I blame whichever twat in the RFU *coughAndyFarrellcough* bet the farm that he could convert to union in twelve months.