Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Andrast posted:

I guess Azazel goes into the "I hate playing this character unless I get specific items to fix him" pile for me then.

Nah, he's just bad now. A quarter the dps AND useless against many bosses without specific items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

tinaun posted:

Holy poo poo spider mod is in Afterbirth as a shop item, this is amazing :allears:

I just got one in greed mode. Does it do anything other than show enemy hp?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

Nah, he's just bad now. A quarter the dps AND useless against many bosses without specific items.

Continuing the proud history of making insanely overpowered characters and nerfing them to become garbage.

...I'm looking at you, Samson.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

dis astranagant posted:

Yeah it's WotL Samson all over again. He went from reasonably good to garbage for no reason.

The funny thing is, the stuff that makes him really broken makes all the other characters broken too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Continuing the proud history of making insanely overpowered characters and nerfing them to become garbage.

...I'm looking at you, Samson.

Except Azazel wasn't THAT overpowered and gets shat on by the final bosses prepatch if you don't find one of the handful of items that fix his range.

They even made useless filler item My Reflection actually good on him just in time to make him worthless :v:

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Einwand posted:

I just got one in greed mode. Does it do anything other than show enemy hp?

The little robo-spider familiar slows enemies if they run over it.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I can't unlock the Eden 100% hard marks baby/achieviment, have they fixed any unlocks besides Blue Womb?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

This is certainly a thing I found.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Toxic Shock was probably added in the patch, it's a pretty handy item to find early on. It poisons all enemies in every room you enter so it instantly clears out all weaker enemies and damages the rest.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

You played us like a drat fiddle, Edmund. I love it!

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I just got a familiar called Bumbo: Bumbo want coin! No idea what it does yet beyond the obvious.

edit: OH JESUS CHRIST

double edit:

It's beautiful.

Also it plods around on two feet when fully grown.

triple edit: He poops bombs occasionally.

Pumpkinreaper fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Nov 4, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha, it's been about 109 hours since the game's release. All the whiners had to do was wait. I know I shouldn't feel smug about being right but boy do I. Well done, Edmund. :shepface:

Now please never do that again.

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just got an item Curse of the Tower. Now theres a chance whenever I get hit to spawn a lot of troll bombs. Almost double a Tower card. Great.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
SpiderMod is hilarious and awesome. Maybe we can get definitive answers to the damage scaling on Ultra Greed and The Hush with it.

They fixed the spike bug with The Guardian, but that challenge still kind of sucks later on unless you have Emperor Cards to skip the Womb because there's so many troll rooms with homing enemy shots or enemies that chase where you can lose all your health real quick.

I also got a new item called Head of the Keeper with a description that said like "penny tears" but it was in The Guardian where I had no tears and Challenges don't count for item completion so I can't check the collection. With all these new items in the pool the expansion feels much more substantial.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

ErIog posted:

SpiderMod is hilarious and awesome. Maybe we can get definitive answers to the damage scaling on Ultra Greed and The Hush with it.

They fixed the spike bug with The Guardian, but that challenge still kind of sucks later on unless you have Emperor Cards to skip the Womb because there's so many troll rooms with homing enemy shots or enemies that chase where you can lose all your health real quick.

I also got a new item called Head of the Keeper with a description that said like "penny tears" but it was in The Guardian where I had no tears and Challenges don't count for item completion so I can't check the collection. With all these new items in the pool the expansion feels much more substantial.

Penny tears make your shots like Ultra Greed.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Beware, the diaper is a treacherous foe.

It makes Isaac occasionally poop glowing turds that explode into minor full-room damage/stun, but the explosion hurts you and it's kinda hard to notice in a firefight. I got my rear end kicked by my own feces :negative:

EDIT: also yeah the gated thing was pretty lovely but whatever, we have everything so I'll let it go.

Sartorius
Dec 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
so I just had Spider Mod on Hush (and died because I had almost no health but hey).
The damage didn't seem capped. I had chocolate milk, and my non charged shots were doing ~70, while my charged ones were allegedly doing 1000 or so. It didn't help the fight go any quicker, mind you. So if there is some kind of damage cap, it's not showing.

Sartorius fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Nov 4, 2015

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Sartorius posted:

so I just had Spider Mod on Hush (and died because I had almost no health but hey).
The damage didn't seem capped. I had chocolate milk, and my non charged shots were doing ~70, while my charged ones were allegedly doing 1000 or so. It didn't help the fight go any quicker, mind you. So if there is some kind of damage cap, it's not showing.

I think the hp on Ultra Greed/Hush is just time gated. If you stop attacking for a while then attack their hp seems to drop a lot faster unless I'm just crazy. Though they seem to also have really high hp during the short times the hp gating seems to not be functioning, mostly on Hush right after each phase change.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Okay, Bumbo is an amazing item. At first he starts out as a tiny bum head familiar that collects coins, then changes into a fat two legged form that still collects coins, but will stop in place and fire when you start shooting, mimicking your direction and angle. Then he has a second form, which I showed in that screenshot. He moves around slowly but will automatically go after enemies if any are in the room and sometimes poops bombs and gold chests as he picks up coins.

Does a fuckton of damage too.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man, the Speed! Challenge loving suuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Who put a loving time limit on this thing? why does isaac not move / shoot faster like the enemies???

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Oh cool. I hadn't unlocked Lillith yet.

Guess I'm just gonna loving reset till I get Ludovico technique in the first room because I can't even kill a spider with Azazel now. What a dumb nerf.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Alkydere posted:

I wonder why Azazel was nerfed. Seemed like he was in a good spot already. You had to get close to kit the enemy, but when you did you mulched them. A good high-risk, high-reward system.
It didn't matter because his damage was so crazy, he was far and away the easiest character in the game.

Him being this bad now is a bit much, though. I don't think it was actually a bad thing to have a really easy character!

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I honestly probably kept going on rebirth sessions longer because if I had a run of lovely luck, I could have a nice Az run as a pick me up. And he wasn't entirely easy mode: if you don't know all the game mechanics and enemy patterns, the low range and initial lack of refillable health could do you in quite quickly.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
So the devil door does close on Greed mode if you leave it (someone said it doesn't)

and

it looks like Whore of Babylon works differently now - it seems it checks when you take damage, rather than when you take damage or change rooms. Previously if you ate up all your hearts with Guppy's Paw you'd have the effect from the next room - this time (in Greed mode, if that matters?) I didn't get it until I got hit by something, when I got the curse popup.

Blazing Ownager posted:

My favorite OP run might have been in Wrath instead of Rebirth, but I got the wafer, the habit, the battery and something else that I can't recall right now; the effect ended up every two times I was hit, I'd get a soul heart. Because of the wafer this meant I would generate soul hearts as fast as I could take damage, even in hell. If I didn't care about the unlocks I might have just reset because it'd been nigh impossible to lose.

You don't need the battery, you just need the wafer, the habit and one of (yum heart, book of revs, nail) and you're invincible forever. Two of those items turned up all the time too, so it's not like it was an uncommon state of affairs :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tyty posted:

Oh cool. I hadn't unlocked Lillith yet.

Same :negative:

I was busily playing the characters with starting health because he's remov(ing/ed) the IV bag.

IronicDongz posted:

Him being this bad now is a bit much, though. I don't think it was actually a bad thing to have a really easy character!

Especially when one character is specifically gated behind playing as him.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Is the actual Blue Womb (the one that is a full level) just a Womb variant? Does it do anything special?

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Heads up on today's daily.
Don't.
It's a lost run where you start with holy mantle but there's an entire 1 useful stat boost the entire run until you beat mom, which is a squeezy on floor 1, and you have to beat the cathedral.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I just now started playing Lilith on Greed Mode, and it seems like you should stay in the arena for all the waves so you keep as many familiars as possible, yeah? Go in the item rooms at the start and/or the end, but not during?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Gromit posted:

I just now started playing Lilith on Greed Mode, and it seems like you should stay in the arena for all the waves so you keep as many familiars as possible, yeah? Go in the item rooms at the start and/or the end, but not during?

Yes.

Pop your Box of Buddies before you push the button, since it'll recharge one pip when the wave starts. Stay in the room, use the item as it recharges, and don't leave until you've cleared the Devil Room wave.

Items you want:

BFFs
Car Battery
Habit
9 Volt/AAA Battery
Cube of Meat/Ball of Bandages
Any item dropping familiar: They'll spawn items after waves, and if they're duplicated, they'll drop extra loot.

Also, you start with Cambion Conception: You have a very small chance of spawning an extra familiar when you take damage, such as Lil' Brimstone, Demon Buddy, Leech, or Succubus. I don't know the exact odds, but they're pretty low unless you're actively trying to hurt yourself. On the plus side, they'll stack with themselves if you pick up another, meaning you can have two Lil' Brimstones standard before you start duplicating.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Lilith is still great in Greed Mode even after the nerf. Now I have to wonder how the hell I'll beat Hush with Azazel.

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Crosspeice posted:

Lilith is still great in Greed Mode even after the nerf. Now I have to wonder how the hell I'll beat Hush with Azazel.

4 charges makes more sense in Greed mode, but doesn't that make her significantly less usable in normal?

Also nerfing Azazel now seems more like a mistake than deliberate.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I really hope that nerfing Azazel like that was not intentional or that at least they will reconsider in the next patch.
Because, overpowered as he was with the shortcoming of short range, Azazel was an interesting character and perfectly fine to play if you were going for a relaxing-ish run. Not all characters have to be frustrating garbage when they start off.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Both the Greed mode secret room bug and the ??? Crash remain unfixed in the patch. True Nicalis seal of quality on this one.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
Nerfing the Box of Friends works in Greed Mode but is still kinda broken AND basically makes Lilith one of the worst characters in normal play, it didn't fix any problems and made more of them instead.

I maintain a better way to nerf lilith would have been to just tweak her stats a bit, maybe start her with less damage, and negative luck like Lazarus - less pickups like money and hearts to force smarter play with familiars.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Nerfing the Box of Friends works in Greed Mode but is still kinda broken AND basically makes Lilith one of the worst characters in normal play, it didn't fix any problems and made more of them instead.

I maintain a better way to nerf lilith would have been to just tweak her stats a bit, maybe start her with less damage, and negative luck like Lazarus - less pickups like money and hearts to force smarter play with familiars.

Making the Box of Friends not stack could be one method of balancing it out in Greed Mode but not breaking it in regular play, but honestly I'd rather not lose easier Boss Rush clears and Meat Boy completions.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Azazel was super overpowered and not even very interesting because he was always the exact same regardless of what items you got. Afterbirth fixed that a little but he still felt like a very easy challenge rather than a character.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

They should have changed Box of friends to have a four room charge in greed mode, and kept it as it is in normal/hard mode.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Azazel was super overpowered and not even very interesting because he was always the exact same regardless of what items you got. Afterbirth fixed that a little but he still felt like a very easy challenge rather than a character.

I don't really think there's much problem in having an easy character though? If I want a harder time I'll play as other characters, Azazel was fun for when I didn't have a lot of time and wanted a quick romp. Focus on making his laser combo with more items instead of making him tedious to play.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

So now he's underpowered and always the same regardless of what you get. This feels like the worst place you can put a character because now they're totally reliant on getting something worthwhile.

I guess Cain is really the only remaining character that starts with decent offense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Oxyclean posted:

So now he's underpowered and always the same regardless of what you get. This feels like the worst place you can put a character because now they're totally reliant on getting something worthwhile.

I guess Cain is really the only remaining character that starts with decent offense?

Nah, Cain's been weak for a while. It's always felt like Judas, Azazel, or bust for tough guy starts.