Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Uroboros posted:

Couple weeks ago I walked into my work area to change over with the previous shift, and heard one of the guys(in his 50s) mention breitbart.com. I just snorted and commented derisively that he was essentially an idiot, got called a liberal without having to offer any discussion, I am truly a master of debate. My entire work is filled with conservative idiots, I just act like a massive rear end in a top hat when it comes to politics...

Sorry to hear that. Perhaps you should star in America's next mass shooting? We're due for a liberal to commit one, I reckon.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Thump! posted:

Sorry to hear that. Perhaps you should star in America's next mass shooting? We're due for a liberal to commit one, I reckon.

Does it make me an evil person that I read this and thought this was going to be the CW's new reality show? Like I can picture an opening and the first episode where we meet the contestants.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Thump! posted:

You really just took that one to the next level...some of my best friends are conservative. Also, that is my nomination for next month's thread title.

I was mainly pointing out that poisonous conservative attitudes have really turned me into a jerk. If I feel someone is looking for genuine discussion I'm pretty much the picture of calm but times you just overhear something really dumb and don't have the time for a full discussion but can't resist the temptation to interject. I told a stranger at a local cafe he was an idiot after he loudly proclaimed that "the Republicans were the party of honest tax payers and the democrats were the party of welfare takers". I would've never bothered with something so trivial in the past, I think I have a condition.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Uroboros posted:

You really just took that one to the next level...some of my best friends are conservative. Also, that is my nomination for next month's thread title.

I was mainly pointing out that poisonous conservative attitudes have really turned me into a jerk. If I feel someone is looking for genuine discussion I'm pretty much the picture of calm but times you just overhear something really dumb and don't have the time for a full discussion but can't resist the temptation to interject. I told a stranger at a local cafe he was an idiot after he loudly proclaimed that "the Republicans were the party of honest tax payers and the democrats were the party of welfare takers". I would've never bothered with something so trivial in the past, I think I have a condition.

Maybe take a break from news for a while, for real. If it's not something you can immediately do something about, and it's causing you stress, just put it aside. It sounds like you know there's no point in calling randos idiots (even when they obviously are), so you might start to feel better if you just focus on something else.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, anecdotal I know, but today I was working in the place I part time at. The owner is a real nice guy. Good sense of humor and all that. One of his church buddies showed up and they were chatting. I overheard a slew of RWM talking points ("Obama apologizing for America", "Reagan never would have done that", etc. etc. It was depressing.

I like the guy a lot and enjoy working for him. I know he's religious but whatever. The thing that got me is that I could tell they get all their news from FOX and talk radio and don't even realize how similar to Reagan Obama really is. For once, I kept my big mouth shut.

I think the internet contributes a lot to the idea that conservatives are snarling, know-nothing organisms who constantly express disdain & rage for anything even remotely compassionate or considerate.

This has not been my experience. My previous employer was one of the nicest guys I've ever met & would give you the shirt off of his back if you needed it. Occasionally though, his political leanings would slip and he was nearly into Tea Party territory. It constantly boggled my mind; his day-to-day demeanor (and actions) didn't comport at all to the ideology that he espoused.

Coincidentally, he's not the first person I've met who exhibits the same behavior.

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Thump! posted:

Don't you know? They're ALL liberal! :freep: DON'T BELIEVE THE MISINFORMATION!!

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Uroboros posted:

In all honesty, stop reading D&D for awhile and try to relax more.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Rush Limbaugh posted:

The argument is, is Western Civilization responsible for it? That's what the allegation is: That prosperous people, high standards of living, are responsible...for destroying the climate? Have you ever stopped to consider that charge? "If you wanted to destroy the climate, what would you do?" I ask them. "Would you go out and buy a fleet of SUVs, keep your thermostat at 60? What would you do? Like, if you really wanted to destroy the ozone layer, what would you do? I mean they're claiming that you're doing it, so what are you doing? What about your lifestyle is destroying the world when you go outside?"

They never have an answer for it.

my favorite types of rhetorical questions are the ones where the questioner answers their own question before even asking it

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Uroboros posted:

That's happened to me before, but I usually try to resist. I remember overhearing "We don't even know if Obama's a citizen," and I had to force myself to keep walking. But my favorite was when there was a fire at a local abandoned building. A lot of people were saying it was probably a scam, maybe for an insurance claim, and then I heard someone say "just like the towers." I stopped, stared at him for a minute, and then eventually regained my wits enough to leave.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
If you are in a job where everyone around you is an idiot what does it say about you *puffs pipe*

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Pope Guilty posted:

In all honesty, stop reading D&D for awhile and try to relax more.

Yeah, it helped me to take a break from the Daily SHow and the news now and then when It felt like poo poo got too real

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress you Breitbart

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah, it helped me to take a break from the Daily SHow and the news now and then when It felt like poo poo got too real

In particular, if you do read it, the Political Cartoons thread, being a cavalcade of bad logic and outright lies, can be particularly infuriating/stressing.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The Salon of the right. I wouldn't mind Breitbart collapsing, the literal building.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nonsense posted:

The Salon of the right. I wouldn't mind Breitbart collapsing, the literal building.

Wouldn't mind Salon collapsing either, especially if it takes that idiot who posts JFK conspiracy articles with it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you are in a job where everyone around you is an idiot what does it say about you *puffs pipe*

That he's the two-eyed man in the land of the blind.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Nonsense posted:

I was about to say, didn't he already collapse clutching his chest?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If I thought it would do any good at all, I'd want to confront the people going on about bathroom pervert scares about... The list of things they're wrong about would be pretty long actually.

* Transgender people mostly just want to do their business without getting assaulted.
* Bathroom perverts are much rarer than they seem to think, and to the extent that they do exist, there's no evidence of them using cross-dressing.
* No one is suggesting that being transgender should be immune from prosecution if they actually do something wrong.
* Many transgender people are outwardly indistinguishable from cisgender people. Forcing people to use the bathroom of their birth sex will result in trans men using women's restrooms.
* Stop framing it in terms of "Would you want your wife or daughter to deal with this?" Let the women give their own drat opinions.
* Having a gender-neutral bathroom is helpful for all sorts of people for all sorts of purposes anyway.

etc.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Zeroisanumber posted:

Wouldn't mind Salon collapsing either, especially if it takes that idiot who posts JFK conspiracy articles with it.

I've somehow missed out on this experience. That's awful.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Uroboros posted:

I was mainly pointing out that poisonous conservative attitudes have really turned me into a jerk.

I'm the same way. Force yourself to take a break. I was touching the poop on a weekly basis with our local conservative columnist in my paper's comment section online. I began using the same snark that we use in this thread and then pouring lots of effort into responses. I ended up getting really worked up over this stuff. Trying to remind myself that it's not worth the effort (at least when the stakes are so low).

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I always confuse salon and slate tbh

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Nonsense posted:

I've somehow missed out on this experience. That's awful.

Here we go. David Talbot is the guy that I was thinking of. IIRC, he has some sort of ownership share in the site so they let him post his crazy garbage from time to time.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I always confuse salon and slate tbh

Slate isn't great, but think of Salon as Slate's dumber, less successful younger brother.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Guilty Spork posted:

If I thought it would do any good at all, I'd want to confront the people going on about bathroom pervert scares about... The list of things they're wrong about would be pretty long actually.

* Transgender people mostly just want to do their business without getting assaulted.
* Bathroom perverts are much rarer than they seem to think, and to the extent that they do exist, there's no evidence of them using cross-dressing.
* No one is suggesting that being transgender should be immune from prosecution if they actually do something wrong.
* Many transgender people are outwardly indistinguishable from cisgender people. Forcing people to use the bathroom of their birth sex will result in trans men using women's restrooms.
* Stop framing it in terms of "Would you want your wife or daughter to deal with this?" Let the women give their own drat opinions.
* Having a gender-neutral bathroom is helpful for all sorts of people for all sorts of purposes anyway.

etc.

Or here's the big one: there's already nobody guarding the bathroom doors with force fields that work against driver's licenses or whatever, so if some dude really wants to commit rape in the women's bathroom there's nothing stopping him, and letting actual trans people in doesn't increase the chance either

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

As much as I try to argue with conservatives and try to be more assertive in life, there is usually no point in arguing.

Many use emotional reasoning instead of logical reasoning so even if their point is batshit crazy wrong, they feel that it's right and this is good enough as proof for them. If you come from a place with logic, from their standpoint you are just wrong and attacking them for who they are.

It's depressing as I can't have "grown-up" conversations with some of my friends because they view a discussion as the loudest person wins rather than a give and take.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

Or here's the big one: there's already nobody guarding the bathroom doors with force fields that work against driver's licenses or whatever, so if some dude really wants to commit rape in the women's bathroom there's nothing stopping him, and letting actual trans people in doesn't increase the chance either

Funny you should mention this.

http://abc13.com/news/police-say-man-had-sex-with-12-year-old-girl-in-restroom/1066670/

Also, "had sex" is pretty clearly "rape".

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

How do you even enforce these laws anyway? Like you said it's not like bathrooms are patrolled.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

MacGowans Teeth posted:

Funny you should mention this.

http://abc13.com/news/police-say-man-had-sex-with-12-year-old-girl-in-restroom/1066670/

Also, "had sex" is pretty clearly "rape".

Houston is a classy town. I'll just be blunt, your journalists are assholes.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elephant Ambush posted:

How do you even enforce these laws anyway? Like you said it's not like bathrooms are patrolled.

Basically bigots will try to call the police on trans people.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
And will have a greater chance of harassing a cis person than a trans person, because people are stupid

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

pussy riot police posted:

And will have a greater chance of harassing a cis person than a trans person, because people are stupid

Gambler/Monte Carlo fallacy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Salon had an article of a pedo defending himself and when they got poo poo for it they had the pedo do another article about how mean everyone was for not accepting him. also apparently it was leaked that he was possibly an offending pedo. so yeah. both breibart and Salon can burn to the ground.

http://www.salon.com/2015/09/30/im_a_pedophile_youre_the_monsters_my_week_inside_the_vile_right_wing_hate_machine/

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Uroboros posted:

You're fine. Policies that result from politics have serious, often life or death consequences. Conservatives who willfully ignore that reality are justifiably infuriating & deserve to be called out.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I think the internet contributes a lot to the idea that conservatives are snarling, know-nothing organisms who constantly express disdain & rage for anything even remotely compassionate or considerate.

This has not been my experience. My previous employer was one of the nicest guys I've ever met & would give you the shirt off of his back if you needed it. Occasionally though, his political leanings would slip and he was nearly into Tea Party territory. It constantly boggled my mind; his day-to-day demeanor (and actions) didn't comport at all to the ideology that he espoused.

Coincidentally, he's not the first person I've met who exhibits the same behavior.

My dad's like that. I love and admire him to death. He's done a lot of work for the community as a whole.

Hell there's a few conservatives I've ran into online who are alright people. One of them tweeted recently mocking the idea of a beer being marketed as transgender, but then conceded he was happy that the efforts were going towards transgender charities agreeing that those people go through a lot.

There's a lot of people on the left and the right who are unhappy with themselves. I see it a lot in the idiots that call into the local station around here.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I would bring back Andrew Breitbart for Ben Shapiro to have coronary

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Being nice to someones face and then voting to let the government grind them into a paste is cowardly and not admirable at all.

It's mostly preferable to someone being a poo poo and furthering and agenda of poo poo, but even then, at least that person is honest.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Guilty Spork posted:

etc.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

beatlegs posted:

You're fine. Policies that result from politics have serious, often life or death consequences. Conservatives who willfully ignore that reality are justifiably infuriating & deserve to be called out.

:agreed:

And people can do this without being jerks too, so I really don't understand where the trepidation is coming from. Like, yeah, don't go starting debates at work and stuff, but if someone's saying dumb poo poo then let them know The Facts.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't think politics should be discussed at work at all. However, if someone else starts it, you can sure share your opinion as well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Uroboros posted:

Couple weeks ago I walked into my work area to change over with the previous shift, and heard one of the guys(in his 50s) mention breitbart.com. I just snorted and commented derisively that he was essentially an idiot, got called a liberal without having to offer any discussion, I am truly a master of debate. My entire work is filled with conservative idiots, I just act like a massive rear end in a top hat when it comes to politics...

Everywhere I've ever worked since I moved to Florida has been conservative (Duval/St. Johns County) so I'm used to it. I used to shoot off my big mouth all the time and call everyone out but now I just mostly remain quiet unless I'm directly asked something. I'm too tired, it won't matter and it's just not worth it being the office liberal whipping boy all the time, even if it is good natured kidding most of the time.

E:

19 o'clock posted:

I'm the same way. Force yourself to take a break. I was touching the poop on a weekly basis with our local conservative columnist in my paper's comment section online. I began using the same snark that we use in this thread and then pouring lots of effort into responses. I ended up getting really worked up over this stuff. Trying to remind myself that it's not worth the effort (at least when the stakes are so low).

Pretty much this but man it's really hard to just let a blatant falsehood hang out there without a retort ("The U.S. isn't drilling for oil", "if you make more money it's not worth it because of the taxes", "Obamaphones",etc.). Usually I'll draw the line there and actually speak up when it's this blatant but usually I'm just too loving tired to bother.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Be zen and remember these are the exact same little lies they tell that lead to things like Romney's 47 percent, his please proceed governor and unskewed polls. It's the same things that lead to Todd Akin popping off about vaginas with magic rape sperm detectors. The same things that allow stunningly fact challenged candidates like Ben Carson to be considered a real live GOP presidential candidate despite not knowing what the debt ceiling is or how budgets work. It's the same things that have created an electoral environment where a candidate has to shed basic human decency and logic to become viable.

My conservative friends have the freedom and right to be as wrong and assured as they like and I'm firm in the belief that it's never a net positive to convince yourself of your own lie. Please proceed governors.

Confront it if you see it hurting someone that you can help, otherwise let the fuckers self harm if they want. If they'd rather live in candyland than win elections then good for them.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 4, 2015