Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

sincx posted:

And why is MadCatz still around?

They make pretty good fighting game arcade sticks. And also, uh. Oh.

Not gonna lie, that looks cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Onkel Hedwig posted:

Very nice post Mr. Smart. There was some stuff in it that I missed, because this thread moves so fast. Like that fact that Wulf Knight has been banned from reddit for making threats: :lol: https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/2np2d4/blackmarket_javelin_destroyer_with_lifetime/cmfjsnx

Someone post the undeleted post of the "death threat" :allears:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They make pretty good fighting game arcade sticks. And also, uh. Oh.

Not gonna lie, that looks cool

Trackballs being on a thing you're moving around constantly seems really loving dumb.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

But surely, that Reddit mod must've made an error! Surely, Wulf Knight would NEVER say something like a death threat! Not after that meany mean goon Raskolnikov so OBVIOUSLY threw one his way by saying, that if he keeps being a douchebag something bad will eventually happen to him, right? :rolleyes:

/RSI white knight

Oh wait... https://citizengate2014.wordpress.com/2014/12/07/paying-additional-tribute-to-the-50-million-man/#comments

Unfunny Poster posted:

Someone post the undeleted post of the "death threat" :allears:

My link above has a different kind of threat with the very last comment from him, which is prolly moreso hilarious.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 4, 2015

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Vax posted:

Report: I'm 6 weeks into waiting. In the meantime 4 different customer dudes asked me 4 times if I _REALLY_ wanted to get a refund and if I won't be so kind to state a reason. So I confirmed 4 times in the last 6 weeks that I _REALLY_ want a refund / my account closed, and no I don't want to state a reason or link to an article. The last message I got form them was ~2 weeks ago. Since then nothing.

How much are you in for?

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

Double speed? The merlin's agile, but not that agile.
edit: actually a gladius if anyone cares, and the flight model changes aren't in yet. Source

Raticus79 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 4, 2015

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

It looks like an fps with a cockpit overlay.

e: <--- what is this new thing

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 4, 2015

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

neonbregna posted:

How much are you in for?

Total was $500 but I sold all my standalones on ebay for a good markup. The Arbiter LTI M50 is probably worth $110-$130 I would say. It's really not that much but it's still money that I could spend on other dumb poo poo I will regret later, so yeah.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Bolow posted:

Trackballs being on a thing you're moving around constantly seems really loving dumb.

It's for MFDs (multi-function displays). It allows you to stay HOS (hands on stick) but still manipulate a cursor. In Star Citizen it'll get a similar use for radar display/target designation/EWACS. Supposedly the next preview will include the new GUI for multicrew ships, including the updated radar display.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

It's kind of a amazing how badly conceived that joystick and advert is.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Vax posted:

Report: I'm 6 weeks into waiting. In the meantime 4 different customer dudes asked me 4 times if I _REALLY_ wanted to get a refund and if I won't be so kind to state a reason. So I confirmed 4 times in the last 6 weeks that I _REALLY_ want a refund / my account closed, and no I don't want to state a reason or link to an article. The last message I got form them was ~2 weeks ago. Since then nothing.

I was about $600 in and sold most of my stuff for profit. All I have left worth refunding is a Redeemer and some hangar flair that probably equals out to around $320. I've only gotten one "Are you sure?" response and 3 more automated "We haven't forgotten about you!" emails with zero replies to the other 4 emails I've sent.

I initiated a dispute through Paypal yesterday and am honestly surprised to have not heard anything back yet given how quickly they seem to jump into gear when chargebacks/paypal disputes are mentioned.

Edit: I'm 5 weeks in.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

correction to previous ad it contained obsolete hardware.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Derek Smart is here to protect you from the terrible secret of space jpgs

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

BeefThief posted:

Derek Smart is here to protect you from the terrible secret of space jpgs

Good lord

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
whats with the weird labels under peoples name? like grimey drawer and college slice

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Io_ posted:

Crobbits is going to sell you a jpeg of a stick.
Pretty sure you can already preorder that lovely modded Saitek X52, so yes.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

kordansk posted:

JPEGs are currently in the Bull trap, but PNGs are heading out of the Bear trap, are starting to get media awareness - now is the time to invest in PNGs.

With that kind of graph, you know it's got to be legit. Investing in PNG now.
:homebrew:

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Loiosh posted:

It's for MFDs (multi-function displays). It allows you to stay HOS (hands on stick) but still manipulate a cursor.

Roger delta niner over

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Wafflz posted:

e: <--- what is this new thing

I'm curious as well.

Lowtax what have you done now, you card!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

kordansk posted:

JPEGs are currently in the Bull trap, but PNGs are heading out of the Bear trap, are starting to get media awareness - now is the time to invest in PNGs.

This is good for Star Bitizen

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Nov 4, 2015

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

whats with the weird labels under peoples name? like grimey drawer and college slice

Is that the underwhelming reward for donating to Lowtax?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lodin posted:

Pretty sure you can already preorder that lovely modded Saitek X52, so yes.

The X55? :thurman:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

BMan posted:

Is that the underwhelming reward for donating to Lowtax?

That's probably what it is. Lipstick Apathy is pretty underwhelming but Pork Pro, Pork Pro is legit.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Troll Bridgington posted:

Roger delta niner over

Comes from a sim background. Helped a friend out with this for DCS - http://bit-shift.com/icontroldcs/

So you end up learning a lot of crazy acronyms.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

LCL-Dead posted:

I was about $600 in and sold most of my stuff for profit. All I have left worth refunding is a Redeemer and some hangar flair that probably equals out to around $320. I've only gotten one "Are you sure?" response and 3 more automated "We haven't forgotten about you!" emails with zero replies to the other 4 emails I've sent.

I initiated a dispute through Paypal yesterday and am honestly surprised to have not heard anything back yet given how quickly they seem to jump into gear when chargebacks/paypal disputes are mentioned.

Edit: I'm 5 weeks in.

Did you inform them that you would do a chargeback? Not saying you should have, but from previous examples they let RSI know they would chargeback which got the refund right away.

Alternatively, RSI is now at the point that they don't have the money to give you a refund. Which would mean they're in full :supaburn: mode right now.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Jeesis posted:

Lookit my bullshit catte.

How did you get your cat so shiny? My cat is from a shelter and rather sick still but someday I want a shiny cat like you.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 4, 2015

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

the Orb of Zot posted:

...wait, the virtual ships that people have been buying don't even exist in the sense you can use them in the game? I thought the JPEG thing was a joke!

How do people keep tossing their money away on this?

Not just that, some people pay more for pictures of extra bits to go on the picture of their spaceship jpeg, and some stuff has been sold without even a picture to assist with the fantasy.

sincx posted:

And why is MadCatz still around?

Maybe not for much longer.

No great loss. They make broken garbage hardware.

Loiosh posted:

It's for MFDs (multi-function displays). It allows you to stay HOS (hands on stick) but still manipulate a cursor. In Star Citizen it'll get a similar use for radar display/target designation/EWACS. Supposedly the next preview will include the new GUI for multicrew ships, including the updated radar display.

Seems like it'd be way more fiddly than a ministick, and also potentially useless for thrusters, something which would be far more helpful in a "game" like Star Citizen. If they haven't put in some kind of thruster specific controls they've already made a HOTAS that's worse than the 20+ yr old design of the CH Throttle.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wafflz posted:

That's probably what it is. Lipstick Apathy is pretty underwhelming but Pork Pro, Pork Pro is legit.

Derek, known SA forums whale, is "College Slice"

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Hezzy posted:

springtime for roberts and RSI
Seriously.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
AWW yeah. I am now an authority on pork.

I now declare NC barbecue to be the best of all bbqs. SUCK IT DOWN.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

SneakyFrog posted:

AWW yeah. I am now an authority on pork.

I now declare NC barbecue to be the best of all bbqs. SUCK IT DOWN.

Assuming you mean NC vinegar and red pepper BBQ you are indeed a Pork Pro and deserving of such a noble title.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Wafflz posted:

Assuming you mean NC vinegar and red pepper BBQ you are indeed a Pork Pro and deserving of such a noble title.

you loving know it man.

skit herre
Mar 24, 2015

Don't do drugs, kids.
Lipstick Apathy
Test. I mean :gary:

Lipstick Apathy :yarg:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

SneakyFrog posted:

Wafflz posted:

you loving know it man.
does this mean that your richer than derek smart? Will you be our next warlord?
Derek shame on you. You didnt even unlock the pork pro status.

<--- posting in smartest room really paid off. it gave me this awesome avatar.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 4, 2015

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
Derek promises star shattering revelations about finances and lawsuits, fails to deliver.

Much like Star Citizen.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
That blog sucked it down for sure.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

alphabettitouretti posted:

Seems like it'd be way more fiddly than a ministick, and also potentially useless for thrusters, something which would be far more helpful in a "game" like Star Citizen. If they haven't put in some kind of thruster specific controls they've already made a HOTAS that's worse than the 20+ yr old design of the CH Throttle.

MadCatz/Saitek tends to solve this via game-aware mode switching. Certain games expose data to the joystick drivers which allows them to switch modes automatically. For example in Elite, the T.A.R.G.E.T. drivers (ug) from TM update the controls for Flight Assist off movement. The hat can be updated to provide thruster inputs. You are correct about trackballs being terrible for thrusters. Generally you do not want to use an input that requires polling (ask an android developer their thoughts on detecting trackball events) for a state-ful control like a thruster. It is better to use an impulse event (hat up, hat down), which is likely what this stick will do.

The trackball is useful for emulating mouse movement without having to move hands from the controls. As a real world example, this is used on MFDs to do target selection. You do not want the pilot to have to move hands off the throttle/stick to make a selection. In Commercial aviation you run two or more pilots (PF and a PNF) so this is less of a concern. Good example of why militaries use a more complex HOTAS setup vs Commercial aviation having multiple pilots: http://aviationtroubleshooting.blogspot.com/2010/12/qantas-flight-qf32-captain-david-evans.html

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dark Off posted:

you loving know it man.

quote:

does this mean that your richer than derek smart? Will you be our next warlord?
Derek shame on you. You didnt even unlock the pork pro status.

<--- posting in smartest room really paid off

apparently only in pork knowledge friend, I feel it flowing through me, cooking all day over low heat with hickory wood smoking for flavor.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
It was a well written article, but nothing new or earth shattering, nor anything that will bring the grey market to its knees.

I'm marginally disappointed, but at least it's a real blog that exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

thatguy posted:

That blog sucked it down for sure.

Furious Mittens posted:

It was a well written article, but nothing new or earth shattering, nor anything that will bring the grey market to its knees.

I'm marginally disappointed, but at least it's a real blog that exists.

Probably because I had graciously given you guys most of it piece-meal over the weeks since I wrote it. :)

So next time I should hold it all in and not say anything, right? ;)

ps: It wasn't planned to have anything to do with the Grey market. Where'd you get that idea from?

:gary:

• Locked thread