Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
post the blog derek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

peter gabriel posted:

post the blog derek

he did dancycat. he did.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
oh right, sorry!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

post a better blog derek

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Honestly, if you've asked for a refund and it's not actioned within 2 weeks, you should probably just go ahead and initiate a chargeback. Outside of whatever financial fuckery they have going on that is causing refunds to come from unrelated companies or in multiple pieces, you as the (former) customer shouldn't be left sitting around waiting because they can't properly staff their support team.

Seriously, 5-6 weeks with no refund actioned and multiple "are you sure?" e-mails is loving absurd and just another huge red flag. It's not like they're going to have any fewer tickets in the queue in a few weeks when 2.0 "launches" or they have the thanksgiving sale or whatever other excuse they'll come up with.

Edit: Grimey Drawer fits this thread perfectly

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm still confused on why a not game has such a huge backlog of support tickets that the owner's wife has to step in and help answer them.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler
Seriously why do people have Popsicle sticks under there avatars?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

xanif posted:

They were dumb with money.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

xanif posted:

It's for giving money to Lowtax.

It's up to you to decide how much :ironicat: is warranted.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Someone on the official forums just said that if people didn't keep going to customer service with their issues then maybe they wouldn't be so busy

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
It was nice of lowtax to gift his contributors with a mark of shame.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

drat and i usually mark myself up with those well enough by myself

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm sorry that reality doesn't fall neatly into the personal narrative you've constructed where all people who choose to spend money on a forum of their choosing suffer from some mental disorder that you get to play the hero and save them from. The reality is that people see something in the forum that excites them, and they are willing to spend money because of that.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I'm sure we all expected it

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Probably because I had graciously given you guys most of it piece-meal over the weeks since I wrote it. :)

So next time I should hold it all in and not say anything, right? ;)

I have no doubt you have/had inside sources but a lot of that stuff is naturally lifted from this thread and previous ones, (I say naturally because everywhere else talking about Star Citizen is either poo poo or moderated to hell). I don't see it as much of an issue myself, the problem is that after the Escapist shaved pubes and other allegations, plus your own 20k coffee machine, personal chef and private jet revelations, anything that's not a new frivolous tidbit of excessive debauchery is a bit of a let down.

Being you, you are probably focused on the technical aspects of how what they are trying to do with the game is at the extreme edge possible and how they are moving the money around while making preparations to keep it when/if the poo poo hits the fan. Whereas we're mostly lazy and it's way less effort to just laugh at a 20k coffee pot.

If I'm reading your blog correctly after November 30th is when you intend to provide some laughs anyway.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Wafflz posted:

I'm sorry that reality doesn't fall neatly into the personal narrative you've constructed where all people who choose to spend money on a forum of their choosing suffer from some mental disorder that you get to play the hero and save them from. The reality is that people see something in the forum that excites them, and they are willing to spend money because of that.

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I donated

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have lipstick apathy

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

When I donate to things I tend to do it anonymously, so I'm not big on the whole 'hey dudes, this guy decided to spend money' thing. I hope the popsicle sticks bring you endless joy.

BastionPete
Nov 4, 2015
Well, I lost access to my old account from 2007, so I thought I'd make myself a brand spanking new one to contribute to this discussion. I even bought premium so I could be privy to all the SuperSecretTM stuff going on.

Turns out that was a minor mistake, frikkin loled hard when I realised

You need a Platinum Upgrade to view this link.

As my first post in this thread, I'll try and keep it from being a complete shitpost.

Anyway, I'll give you some context of me. I'm about $60 deep in Star Citizen, backed in 2012 at the funding launch, and installed the game once every six months or so just to see what progress there is. There has been significantly less than I had hoped tbh. I saw this thread on Reddit where I am a semi active user. Anyway, while I appreciate some of the arguments for the game never being released, it does feel like one mighty echochamber in here.

My take on some of controversies surrounding SC.

On crazy obsessive/harassing WhiteKnight StarCitizens
Well, you have a community of 700K where the occasional individual is in for $20k. Yes they are dicks and I don't condone any of their actions. However, they do not reflect the wider starcitizen community. Personally I think they are insane for spending that much money on a videogame. Whatever, they are a few bad apples. I feel sorry for Derek that he has to put up with their harassment.

On never ending delays and how the project is being run.
This is one of my biggest frustrations with SC. The actual content being released (ArenaCommander/HangarModule/Planetside) is only a small part of what is needed for the finished game, and yet so much resources seem to be poured into them. Whole critical parts of the game, such as the databasing needed for persistence etc. not currently in development. While this is annoying, I don't think it's necessarily an indication of a project that's about to fail. Just poor project management. Also, I know very little about large scale game development and where developers spend most of their time. I agree that the project has been poorly managed in the past, as is shown by our current lack of a game. That said, just because there have been poor management decisions in the past, does not mean that the current development strategy is stupid, or that CIG are unable to produce a completed game. The current drive to make AC2.0 a platform to build out the rest of the PU game mechanics seems sensible enough to me.

Problems in one studio mean problems in all studios
There are currently four SC studios so far as I can tell. Santa Monica, Austin, ManchesterUK, and FrankfurtDE. Austin seems to be downsizing. Manchester and Frankfurt seem to be growing. For some reason this is painted here as a reason for CIG being in trouble. Some people have complained of toxic work environments, but they seem to be fairly limited to Austin, and maybe a bit in Santa Monica. Manchester and Frankfurt seem to be chugging along fine, and really helping to get the game moved along. The imminent release of AC2.0 is probably their doing. The fact that they are growing, I think, is a good sign for the project as a whole.

Money problems leading to the project shutting down
There is no evidence of this at all. Star Citizen raised $4.2m last month. Even if this was a one off, it still shows that the project has a huge number of people willing to spend money on it. The project has 700K preorders on the books, and a very generous community. If they need extra credit (and I don't hear any evidence beyond unfounded rumour) then I have zero doubt that investors will be lining up to get a piece of the action. Even before crowdfunding started, CR only needed to raise about $4m to get his investors interested and secure about $15m dollars in funding. I bet they'd be interested now.
Secondly, there is the unfounded number of $3m dollars being spent per month. Derek claimed with AbsoluteCertaintyTM that the company only had $8m dollars left and would be shutting down imminently. This is all BS. At the time of the claim, they had raised about $90m I think. (90-8)/3=27months of funding. Which is 2.33 (recurring of course) years of funding at that expenditure rate. Considering we're three years in now and there is now way whatsoever that CIG were spending that amount for even the first year and a half of operation, there is a very good chance that CIG still has a reasonable amount tucked away.

On Sandi
This is the biggest joke of the lot. There is a lot of 'evidence' thrown about on topics that really don't matter. Who gives a gently caress if she is married to CR, or is a jerk, or doesn't have a marketing degree. She oversaw a marketing strategy that has raised $94m which is all that matters. That was her job. If she hadn't done that then we would be right to start the criticisms, but that's clearly not the the case. Cries of nepotism are stupid. She wasn't appointed when the company was a multimillion dollar project, she was appointed at inception. If the director of marketing was just a random person (with a marketing degree) who raised $93m, and then they were fired and replaced with Sandi, then shout nepotism all you like. He using company property and time for personal projects is an unknown for me. They don't seem too credible and seem to be clutching at straws.

SC subreddit imgur posts getting bombed
The idea that this was a 'friendly fire' incident doesn't really hold any water IMO. The fact that every image without exception got taken down, leads me to believe that it was a deliberate attack. There were plenty of really obscure images taken down that were posted years ago that weren't originally posted in this thread. I say originally because after the news broke, some then started posting more links here to images to try and get them taken down by proxy. I could be wrong on this one, but I really don't think so.

Derek's claims in general, and refunds
Some of them have turned out to be true - Austin downsizing, a few perople quitting, maybe a couple of other things, but a lot of his claims seem to be unfounded beyond his mysterious sources. I dunno, maybe he is telling the truth, but he really doesn't come across as the most trustworthy/stable of guys. If all this drama had been raised by a more reputable character, I might have considered refunding, as it stands, Derek claiming something doesn't really worry me and I'll be keeping my game package till something a bit more concrete comes up.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I just wanted to help SA a bit since I enjoy posting here

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

When I donate to things I tend to do it anonymously, so I'm not big on the whole 'hey dudes, this guy decided to spend money' thing. I hope the popsicle sticks bring you endless joy.

If i'd know that was going to happen I'd have thought twice, not a fan either.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

AP posted:

If i'd know that was going to happen I'd have thought twice, not a fan either.

This is why Lowtax hates us all.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I still like it tho

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

wait are we seriousposting now? I don't want to seriouspost.

I do kinda want a popsicle though.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Never seriouspost

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
As long as star citizen continues to promise poo poo we will post poo poo.

poo poo goes in, poo poo comes out.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Seriously this thread has broken my irony detector. I legitimately cannot tell anymore if seriousposts are serious or if they are goons holding pretend-stupid positions for the sake of getting a rise out of people.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Are they still posting cats over in the subreddit? This is important.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

Seriously this thread has broken my irony detector. I legitimately cannot tell anymore if seriousposts are serious or if they are goons holding pretend-stupid positions for the sake of getting a rise out of people.

Reddit can't either

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

BastionPete posted:

As my first post in this thread, I'll try and keep it from being a complete shitpost.

whoops

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

BastionPete posted:

Well, I lost access to my old account from 2007, so I thought I'd make myself a brand spanking new one to contribute to this discussion. I even bought premium so I could be privy to all the SuperSecretTM stuff going on.

Anyway, I'll give you some context of me. I'm about $60 deep in Star Citizen, backed in 2012 at the funding launch, and installed the game once every six months or so just to see what progress there is. There has been significantly less than I had hoped tbh. I saw this thread on Reddit where I am a semi active user. Anyway, while I appreciate some of the arguments for the game never being released, it does feel like one mighty echochamber in here.

Well, you have a community of 700K where the occasional individual is in for $20k. Yes they are dicks and I don't condone any of their actions. However, they do not reflect the wider starcitizen community. Personally I think they are insane for spending that much money on a videogame. Whatever, they are a few bad apples. I feel sorry for Derek that he has to put up with their harassment.

This is one of my biggest frustrations with SC. The actual content being released (ArenaCommander/HangarModule/Planetside) is only a small part of what is needed for the finished game, and yet so much resources seem to be poured into them. Whole critical parts of the game, such as the databasing needed for persistence etc. not currently in development. While this is annoying, I don't think it's necessarily an indication of a project that's about to fail. Just poor project management. Also, I know very little about large scale game development and where developers spend most of their time. I agree that the project has been poorly managed in the past, as is shown by our current lack of a game. That said, just because there have been poor management decisions in the past, does not mean that the current development strategy is stupid, or that CIG are unable to produce a completed game. The current drive to make AC2.0 a platform to build out the rest of the PU game mechanics seems sensible enough to me.

There are currently four SC studios so far as I can tell. Santa Monica, Austin, ManchesterUK, and FrankfurtDE. Austin seems to be downsizing. Manchester and Frankfurt seem to be growing. For some reason this is painted here as a reason for CIG being in trouble. Some people have complained of toxic work environments, but they seem to be fairly limited to Austin, and maybe a bit in Santa Monica. Manchester and Frankfurt seem to be chugging along fine, and really helping to get the game moved along. The imminent release of AC2.0 is probably their doing. The fact that they are growing, I think, is a good sign for the project as a whole.

There is no evidence of this at all. Star Citizen raised $4.2m last month. Even if this was a one off, it still shows that the project has a huge number of people willing to spend money on it. The project has 700K preorders on the books, and a very generous community. If they need extra credit (and I don't hear any evidence beyond unfounded rumour) then I have zero doubt that investors will be lining up to get a piece of the action. Even before crowdfunding started, CR only needed to raise about $4m to get his investors interested and secure about $15m dollars in funding. I bet they'd be interested now.
Secondly, there is the unfounded number of $3m dollars being spent per month. Derek claimed with AbsoluteCertaintyTM that the company only had $8m dollars left and would be shutting down imminently. This is all BS. At the time of the claim, they had raised about $90m I think. (90-8)/3=27months of funding. Which is 2.33 (recurring of course) years of funding at that expenditure rate. Considering we're three years in now and there is now way whatsoever that CIG were spending that amount for even the first year and a half of operation, there is a very good chance that CIG still has a reasonable amount tucked away.

On Sandi
This is the biggest joke of the lot. There is a lot of 'evidence' thrown about on topics that really don't matter. Who gives a gently caress if she is married to CR, or is a jerk, or doesn't have a marketing degree. She oversaw a marketing strategy that has raised $94m which is all that matters. That was her job. If she hadn't done that then we would be right to start the criticisms, but that's clearly not the the case. Cries of nepotism are stupid. She wasn't appointed when the company was a multimillion dollar project, she was appointed at inception. If the director of marketing was just a random person (with a marketing degree) who raised $93m, and then they were fired and replaced with Sandi, then shout nepotism all you like. He using company property and time for personal projects is an unknown for me. They don't seem too credible and seem to be clutching at straws.

The idea that this was a 'friendly fire' incident doesn't really hold any water IMO. The fact that every image without exception got taken down, leads me to believe that it was a deliberate attack. There were plenty of really obscure images taken down that were posted years ago that weren't originally posted in this thread. I say originally because after the news broke, some then started posting more links here to images to try and get them taken down by proxy. I could be wrong on this one, but I really don't think so.

Some of them have turned out to be true - Austin downsizing, a few perople quitting, maybe a couple of other things, but a lot of his claims seem to be unfounded beyond his mysterious sources. I dunno, maybe he is telling the truth, but he really doesn't come across as the most trustworthy/stable of guys. If all this drama had been raised by a more reputable character, I might have considered refunding, as it stands, Derek claiming something doesn't really worry me and I'll be keeping my game package till something a bit more concrete comes up.

I read all of this.

lol j/k I didn't read any of that :gary:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

the last page forgot about the Sanwa/Mad Catz connection so I'm moving on to this, the fresh promise of page 222

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

BastionPete posted:

On Sandi

:gas:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Eonwe posted:

I have lipstick apathy

Please tell us how you really feel about lipstick.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The blog was great and almost as great as Vin Diesel playing D&D

:gary:

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
shitposts =/= lovely posts

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

it was not a mistake you just haven't found it yet. first hint is in Wafflz tag. Start digging citizen maybe you will find it, but when you do you will be a changed man.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

notoriousman posted:

shitposts =/= lovely posts

isn't there some calculus formula for determining limits

as post approaches poo poo or something like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

BastionPete posted:

On Sandi

same

• Locked thread