Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Jethro_E7 posted:

https://www.reddit.com/user/Accelerwraith was banned from /r/starcitizen_trades not /r/starcitizen. Permabans from there are usually permanent and bans do not carry over to /r/starcitizen.
The context of that post was that people were utterly outraged that someone would buy a limited ship like the jav and then sell it for profit. The sheer outrage and fury that you would deny a true believer a ship was seen as scalping and so attracted the rage and ire of the loyalists.
The outrage of that particular citizen was such that he wished death on the one that did it.

Reference : https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/2np2d4/blackmarket_javelin_destroyer_with_lifetime/

The OP later posted this:

[–]Gamediscount -38 points 11 months ago
Okay, I posted this over there but I'll post it here too because a lot of people are mad at me for doing what I did.
I understand a lot of people are angry about this, but consider that what I am doing is not that much different than many traders here. I don't see myself as having inflated the price all that much-people on here sell the Idris-M for 4x-5x more than its original price, or aurora packages for 3x-5x their original price. I'm only selling it for just a little over double its original price. I do not think I am being particularly unethical with regards to my pricing here.
No one complains when people sell their Idris, 890 Jump, or Phoenix for double or more, but I get singled out as evil for doing the same with my Javelin? I get that some of you are mad because you could not get one, but there are still 199 left for you to get at CIG's price.

Good lord nobody loving cares. Go away. This is a comedy forum and you are posting precisely 0 comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Dark Off posted:

yeah sadly it is, but that doesnt stop me from making GBS threads up the smartest room.
Even if you need to some work to find it.

Some free hints to get the search started.

1) wafflz tag
2) what you cant see if your not regged.
3)whats the thing that unites citizens.

edit: if you want more hints buy me a avatar or plat upgrade

What on Earth is this guy on about?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

wyoak posted:

I dunno poo poo about how the company runs day to day but the fact that people are still throwing money at them with no product means marketing is doing something well. if you work for CIG then I'll take your word that the head of marketing and PR isn't doing any marketing or PR but I dunno why people are so eager to throw her under the bus despite selling being the only thing that this company can demonstrably do well

it's like they're waiting for this to crash, blame it on sandi, then CR will come back with another pipe dream and people will throw money at him again because the witch is dead and she was what was really holding it all back

The marketing is all word of mouth among a community of spergs and their friends. There aren't new people getting involved in this. Its the same goofy morons buying new jpegs every time they come out. Sandi isn't doing anything to motivate these sales, she just happens to hold the title of the person who is usually responsible for marketing.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

BastionPete posted:

Money problems leading to the project shutting down
There is no evidence of this at all. Star Citizen raised $4.2m last month.
Should have been written:

quote:

There is no evidence of this at all: Star Citizen raised $4.2m last month.
I don't believe these numbers for an instant. They are not accountable to anybody with these numbers, and it would be child's play to manipulate them. There are a lot of idiots on the internet with money who fall for this poo poo, but not enough to produce these numbers, especially with the shitshow that was citcon, and the increasingly bad press CIG have been getting. A number that suspiciously good smells like desperation trying to keep the bubble from bursting, and encouraging people to donate.

Somebody who gives way too much of a gently caress should analyze their fundraising activity relative to their forum activity. I'd be interested to see how those track.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

JakeP posted:

The marketing is all word of mouth among a community of spergs and their friends. There aren't new people getting involved in this. Its the same goofy morons buying new jpegs every time they come out. Sandi isn't doing anything to motivate these sales, she just happens to hold the title of the person who is usually responsible for marketing.

According to Derek she was the one who designed the Concept Sales (aka, jpeg ships). So, I guess that's going for her.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Kakarot posted:

What on Earth is this guy on about?

It confused me at first but then You need Platinum, Archives and an Avatar to view this message. Now it makes sense.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Wafflz posted:

It confused me at first but then You need Platinum, Archives and an Avatar to view this message. Now it makes sense.

geez i was saving up that hint you know. now i need to give more detailed hint if they buy me a avatar

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

JakeP posted:

Most companies have to pay for their street team, they got people to pay them to do it, seems like a marketing win to me.
If a product was actually coming out this would be a marketing masterclass, they've already got a massive base of loyal customers and a good amount of name recognition

Letting CR write that rant was a PR disaster but hey even multi-billion dollar startups make tonedeaf moves like that

wyoak fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 4, 2015

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
Ohhh...I didn't check out the private area since yesterday

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Wafflz posted:

Yeah after that it makes total sense. The personal explanation from Lowtax he gave was even better. Check it out You need Platinum, Archives and an Avatar to view this message

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

wyoak posted:

Most companies have to pay for their street team, they got people to pay them to do it, seems like a marketing win to me
like if a product was actually coming out this would be a marketing masterclass, they've already got a massive base of loyal customers and a good amount of name recognition

A lot of this is based on the retarded amount of goodwill and nostalgia people have for the old Wing Commander games. I know a few people irl that are incredibly intelligent and not dopes in any sense of the word but have dropped literally 1000s into this poo poo because of WC and Chris Roberts.

"Chris Roberts was a foundation of my youth," or something equally cringey has come out in justification for it numerous times.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

BastionPete posted:

On crazy obsessive/harassing WhiteKnight StarCitizens
Well, you have a community of 700K where the occasional individual is in for $20k. Yes they are dicks and I don't condone any of their actions. However, they do not reflect the wider starcitizen community. Personally I think they are insane for spending that much money on a videogame. Whatever, they are a few bad apples. I feel sorry for Derek that he has to put up with their harassment.
The problem comes when the bad apples are coddled by the powers that be because they are big spenders.

quote:

On Sandi
This is the biggest joke of the lot. There is a lot of 'evidence' thrown about on topics that really don't matter. Who gives a gently caress if she is married to CR, or is a jerk, or doesn't have a marketing degree. She oversaw a marketing strategy that has raised $94m which is all that matters. That was her job. If she hadn't done that then we would be right to start the criticisms, but that's clearly not the the case. Cries of nepotism are stupid. She wasn't appointed when the company was a multimillion dollar project, she was appointed at inception. If the director of marketing was just a random person (with a marketing degree) who raised $93m, and then they were fired and replaced with Sandi, then shout nepotism all you like. He using company property and time for personal projects is an unknown for me. They don't seem too credible and seem to be clutching at straws.
I don't think a diploma is mandatory for people to do their job right but if we are talking about a multi million multi national project I'd expect the Marketing VP to be chosen on either his/her academic qualifications or proven work experience, Sandi seems to lack the former and definitely lacks the latter. You attribute the success of the pre-sales to her influence, I say that the game just came at a perfect time when it was the only game in town to cater to every nostalgic space fantasy of moneyed nerds. Her reaction to the D_Smart controversy only reinforced my idea that the project was a success despite her, not because of her.
And despite any questions on her competency as a Marketing VP nepotism is still a completely valid criticism because it raises the question of how much influence did she have on the CEO's decision to spend dozens(?) of millions of dollars getting big Hollywood names that she, a aspiring failed actress could then work with to patch her resume. So we have a (possibly) non-qualified Marketing VP that doubles as an actress for the project and triples as the CEOs wife and is getting payed accordingly, no doubt. I'd say nepotism is very much a valid issue.

quote:

SC subreddit imgur posts getting bombed
The idea that this was a 'friendly fire' incident doesn't really hold any water IMO. The fact that every image without exception got taken down, leads me to believe that it was a deliberate attack. There were plenty of really obscure images taken down that were posted years ago that weren't originally posted in this thread. I say originally because after the news broke, some then started posting more links here to images to try and get them taken down by proxy. I could be wrong on this one, but I really don't think so.
You are wrong and this makes no sense at all. Why the gently caress would we go the roundabout way to get pictures banned from reddit by putting a bot running on our own thread when we could just point that bot at the target subreddit? :psyduck: Our thread was hit first and pictures of loving cats were getting deleted before reddit even noticed it. Only after they started bitching about it did we (myself included) start deliberately linking to everything we could find on Reddit just to gently caress with them. The proof that we were the victims and not the perpetrators is that everything we linked in here was getting deleted in a matter of minutes, even stupid poo poo that had nothing to do with SC.

e:

Sedisp posted:

I frikkin LOLED really hard that you would bother to pretend you had an old account.
Also this. Why do this? No one cares how old your account is as long as you fit in. And that doesn't mean sucking D_Smart cock, it means not acting like you're some prodigal goon.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 4, 2015

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

wyoak posted:

Most companies have to pay for their street team, they got people to pay them to do it, seems like a marketing win to me.
If a product was actually coming out this would be a marketing masterclass, they've already got a massive base of loyal customers and a good amount of name recognition before anything actually is released.

Letting CR write that rant was a PR disaster but hey even multi-billion dollar startups make tonedeaf moves like that

This is actually correct pretty much everything outside of that CR rant was very good marketing. That's really the one thing this project has going for it the fact that it uses unethical marketing selling people fake dreams to great success.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Vax posted:

Yeah after that it makes total sense. The personal explanation from Lowtax he gave was even better. Check it out You need Platinum, Archives and an Avatar to view this message

:lol: but then You must have been empty quoted by Lowtax at least 5 times to view this message. That was some poo poo.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

wyoak posted:

If a product was actually coming out this would be a marketing masterclass, they've already got a massive base of loyal customers and a good amount of name recognition before anything actually is released.

Im not saying they don't have a great word of mouth thing going for them, just that it has nothing to do with anything Sandi did. My only point is she isn't qualified for her job, and any success of the company isn't because of her marketing strategies.

xanif
Nov 3, 2010

Beer: Who was your first kill, not counting old men?
Eonwe: One of the outlaws in the Brotherhood.
Seraph84: I was there that day. You were only a squire, sixteen years old.
Eonwe: You killed Friendly Tumour with a counter-post. Best move I ever saw.
Oven Wrangler

Libluini posted:

Man that's harsh. So you think a Redditor attacked subreddit imgur posts out of pure malice, instead of just stupidity? You're too cynical for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

JakeP posted:

Im not saying they don't have a great word of mouth thing going for them, just that it has nothing to do with anything Sandi did. My only point is she isn't qualified for her job, and any success of the company isn't because of her marketing strategies.
and my point is that unless you're involved with the day to day operations at CIG how the hell do you know

like maybe an exec with more degrees and less vaginas would've generated 200 million by now?

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010
As tempting as it is to try for a refund and embrace the :gary: , I feel as if I need to keep my $60 into this not-game so I can learn once and for all not to waste my money on bad games.
Preordering Brink wasn't enough.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BastionPete posted:

Well, I lost access to my old account from 2007, so I thought I'd make myself a brand spanking new one to contribute to this discussion. I even bought premium so I could be privy to all the SuperSecretTM stuff going on.

Yeah Right.

quote:

On Sandi
This is the biggest joke of the lot. There is a lot of 'evidence' thrown about on topics that really don't matter. Who gives a gently caress if she is married to CR, or is a jerk, or doesn't have a marketing degree. She oversaw a marketing strategy that has raised $94m which is all that matters. That was her job. If she hadn't done that then we would be right to start the criticisms, but that's clearly not the the case. Cries of nepotism are stupid. She wasn't appointed when the company was a multimillion dollar project, she was appointed at inception. If the director of marketing was just a random person (with a marketing degree) who raised $93m, and then they were fired and replaced with Sandi, then shout nepotism all you like. He using company property and time for personal projects is an unknown for me. They don't seem too credible and seem to be clutching at straws.

It is a problem if an amateur hour marketer lies and markets a whole bunch of stuff that is never going to be in the game and essentially just sells a 'game' that will won't exist.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

wyoak posted:

and my point is that unless you're involved with the day to day operations at CIG how the hell do you know

like maybe an exec with more degrees and less vaginas would've generated 200 million by now?

Why are you making this about gender?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
what even is a star citizen

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I donated :10bux: and managed to avoid the lovely popsicle stick so good for me

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

mormonpartyboat posted:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

jaffyjaffy posted:

As tempting as it is to try for a refund and embrace the :gary: , I feel as if I need to keep my $60 into this not-game so I can learn once and for all not to waste my money on bad games.

IF they manage to release anything it will be janky as hell and lacking all sorts of features. Source: everything they've released so far.

If they can manage to stay in business long enough to polish it and add content that poo poo will be $4.99 on a steam summer sale by that point.

Citizen. Get a Refund.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Vax posted:

ooh i haventh even found that one yet. Shame i cant open it since i dont have archives. Its fun when you know which codes you need to read.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

they've been wearing those fursuits for over a year now waiting for their Org to come to life and the game to be released.

Sounds awfully stifling. And gross.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

mormonpartyboat posted:

Here's the best summary I've found so far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Uii8lxRC58

Jethro_E7
Dec 11, 2014

revmoo posted:

Good lord nobody loving cares. Go away. This is a comedy forum and you are posting precisely 0 comedy.

Firstly, Derek assumed his ban was lifted - secondly, who appointed you chief comedian? If you don't see the humor in whales getting furiously outraged because someone bought a $4500 priced digital jpeg, to the point of threatening them with death, I'm just sorry.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

jaffyjaffy posted:

Donate that money to charity instead of buying sandi and roberts a new mansion at least.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

JakeP posted:

Why are you making this about gender?
fair enough, strike the vaginas comment from the record
:gary:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Welcome BastionPete.

First, no need to say you had an account from 2007 that you lost. Even if it's true, no one cares.

Second, you sound like a mostly rational person, unlike some other SC supporters that have come here. Be sure to read the forum rules, and as long as you don't make an rear end of yourself no one here will bite your head off.

I've mostly been lurking in this thread, so I'll let goons that have been involved with SC respond to your points. But one thing I'm curious about : as someone that still believes SC will be released, what do you think the game is going to be?

Oh, and :gary:PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRP

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

mormonpartyboat posted:

In a game about jpegs this will always be the best jpeg.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

BastionPete posted:

I could be wrong on this one, but I really don't think so.

:gary: :wrong:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

BastionPete posted:

The idea that this was a 'friendly fire' incident doesn't really hold any water IMO. The fact that every image without exception got taken down, leads me to believe that it was a deliberate attack. There were plenty of really obscure images taken down that were posted years ago that weren't originally posted in this thread. I say originally because after the news broke, some then started posting more links here to images to try and get them taken down by proxy. I could be wrong on this one, but I really don't think so.

Also, for someone who had an account for however long you sure don't understand comedy. Why would we want to see this

When we could see this masterpiece instead

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Wafflz posted:

Every time I see that picture I pray he took it himself by putting the camera on a timer on the stairs. The thought that someone was complicit in making that image is just too much.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

revmoo posted:

Eh, it's more interesting than your follow-up to it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Wafflz posted:

If I ever saw any part of this in a mirror I would immediately kill myself after setting everything I own on fire.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Vire posted:

Every time I see that picture I pray he took it himself by putting the camera on a timer on the stairs. The thought that someone was complicit in making that image is just too much.

Nah you just know he made his mom take that picture. And then she went back upstairs and drank herself into a stupor. Just like she does every night.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

If I ever saw any part of this in a mirror I would immediately kill myself after setting everything I own on fire.

As if the dude is self-sufficient and capable of living on his own.

• Locked thread