Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Hey, a merchant. Maybe I can buy some better gear, I'll just ask them... Gwent? Well of course I'll play. That was great, now about that better gear OMG YOU HAVE GWENT CARDS MUST BUY ALL OF THEM. Hey, a better crossbow, I'll buy that please... oh, I have no money because I spent all my money on cards.

Me. At every merchant. Every. One. I regret nothing.

God this game is so loving good. Just met the Baron, and had the little flashback thing. Still have not encountered a single bad voice actor or poorly written line in this game. CDPR just ruined most other games for me, I'll be wondering why they didn't meet this level of quality. Thanks assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The thing about crossbows is that in the entire game I had about two upgrades. And using it was a bad idea in pretty much every situation except underwater and versus flying enemies. It would have been nice for it to have a real niche in standard combat.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The crossbow is definitely a wasted opportunity as there's a whole skill path dedicated to it and even different types of bolts. It's as if they prepared all the ingredients for it but never had the time to finish it.

But at the same time CD Projekt nerfs actually functional alternative mechanics like bombs or secondary sign powers so maybe the crossbow is working as intended: making sure you're disappointed with it and forced to play the game in the couple of ways that are approved of :v:.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Bombs are only nerfed on NG+ because they forgot to make them scale (which is a pretty big gently caress up, admittedly, and even then it's just grapeshot and the poison one that really suffers, and the signs are still useful. Crossbow is a big wet fart though. Except for exploding bolts on sirens, which is cathartic.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

They nerfed bombs with the latest patch though. When you play the expansion after the main quest in the normal game they're already useless.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Palpek posted:

They nerfed bombs with the latest patch though. When you play the expansion after the main quest in the normal game they're already useless.

I haven't finished the DLC yet, but I noticed this as well. I was trying to use superior grapeshot on those loving spider assholes and I used all my bombs and did maybe 25% damage.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Indirect nerf. All the expansion stuff does way more damage and has way more HP. Which is good, really, the game is too easy around that level. That said they should have bumped the bombs up more. It's not like you can carry that many anyway.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

Hey, a merchant. Maybe I can buy some better gear, I'll just ask them... Gwent? Well of course I'll play. That was great, now about that better gear OMG YOU HAVE GWENT CARDS MUST BUY ALL OF THEM. Hey, a better crossbow, I'll buy that please... oh, I have no money because I spent all my money on cards.

Me. At every merchant. Every. One. I regret nothing.

God this game is so loving good. Just met the Baron, and had the little flashback thing. Still have not encountered a single bad voice actor or poorly written line in this game. CDPR just ruined most other games for me, I'll be wondering why they didn't meet this level of quality. Thanks assholes.

FWIW, In my current playthrough I sort of had that issue until I got out of the first part of Crow's Rest. Once you have been to 3 or 4 of the villages and do a couple witcher's contracts you should have enough cash and sellable junk to push yourself above the need to re-equip at every vendor. At around level 10 I had 30k gold crowns and was having more trouble finding vendors I could sell all of my spare maces, swords and clubs to (even after buying them out of gwent cards and rare crafting materials or alcohols - buy every cherry cordial you can find).

I think I'm level 20 or 21 now, haven't gone to Skellige yet, trying to 100% Velen, White Orchard and the sidequests/witcher contracts/treasure hunts that I can get to and I think I'm sitting on around 230k gold crowns. All of my weapons/armor are green/craftable save for 2nd/3rd tier witcher gear (so I've got a mountain of crafting materials) and I'm just basically level-locked from getting them.

You really shouldn't have a cashflow issue. If you understand the combat mechanics and can manually ride a horse along most paths in a gallop without exhausting it, you'll make decent money putting full purses up in fiistfighting and horse racing minigames. To my knowledge, increasing your wager doesn't increase the difficulty of the opponent any.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

Well, you have to burn the bees away before you can collect them.

Geralt, the reason the Continent's bee population is dropping.

And WTF Game Jenny of the Woods contract, the final monster I can barely scratch even with the right oils and every potion I have available to increase damage. I can dodge its attacks well nough that I spend 20 minutes hacking away at it, and not even the first bar is gone. For a level 10 quest, that monster seems stupidly hard.

Are you using Yrden? Because you absolutely need to.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are you using Yrden? Because you absolutely need to.
Or moon dust bombs, but I found Yrden more reliable that early in the game.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
If only Sile was still around to scream this advice at Geralt every time it came up. RIP in peace

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

The Baron and related Velen main quest lines are the first big high point of the game for many players, seems like. It's very well done. Post back a trip report after you finally figure out what happened to his wife and daughter.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The strong attack side of my strong attack/alchemy build has been pretty underwhelming

considering just going to pure alchemy because that seems super fun, but man is rend loving satisfying

edit: any tips for pure alchemy spec-wise?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Pellisworth posted:

The Baron and related Velen main quest lines are the first big high point of the game for many players, seems like. It's very well done. Post back a trip report after you finally figure out what happened to his wife and daughter.

Mate, every single tiny little subquest has been a pure delight so far. I'm interested in every character in this world. There hasn't been one arsehole asking me to go and kill 10 boars or poo poo like that. The Baron just seems a little more interesting because it's a series of great moments rather than an individual one.

As this is a Polish game, I'm going to have to give huge props to whoever translated it, and whoever decided to cast those regional accents. It's just so spot on perfect and even though Scottish dwarfs are now a trope even that was fine.

I'm really happy I bought it before it went on sale, I'd feel guilty not throwing as much money as I can at these devs. I'll be buying the season pass next payday.

Sidenote: downloaded all the free DLC, and turns out it automatically turns on the alternate looks for Ciri and Yen etc. Not that I minded, the alt costumes are great, but the option was kind of hidden away and I only discovered it by accident.

Edit: That early Velen hunter sidequest, the man with the missing wife. I got massive deja vu from that storyline. Was that just me, or is it similar to something else? I mean seriously massive, massive deja vu.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 4, 2015

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Parkingtigers posted:

As this is a Polish game, I'm going to have to give huge props to whoever translated it, and whoever decided to cast those regional accents. It's just so spot on perfect and even though Scottish dwarfs are now a trope even that was fine.

Our localization team is the best in the industry afaik, that's on top of having an exceptional PL story team. I'd be interested to know how the translation is in other languages. I think we have VO in Japanese, Russian, German, and French, plus official text translations in Spanish, Arabic, Korean, traditional Chinese, and a few others?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The alt costumes are subpar compared to the default I think. Especially Triss's.

Ruggington posted:

The strong attack side of my strong attack/alchemy build has been pretty underwhelming

considering just going to pure alchemy because that seems super fun, but man is rend loving satisfying

edit: any tips for pure alchemy spec-wise?

Nah, keep it, get the stuff that makes it more likely to critical, down a katakan decoction, and laugh as every other hit is a crit.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Parkingtigers posted:

Sidenote: downloaded all the free DLC, and turns out it automatically turns on the alternate looks for Ciri and Yen etc. Not that I minded, the alt costumes are great, but the option was kind of hidden away and I only discovered it by accident.

Turn off Triss's. Opinions are mixed on Yen and Ciri's, but everyone agrees that Triss's makes her look like a huge dork.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Triss: I'm taking a risk every time I walk out my door

*dresses in a gaudy as gently caress Elven Sage cosplay outfit with cleavage down to her navel*

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

Triss: I'm taking a risk every time I walk out my door

*dresses in a gaudy as gently caress Elven Sage cosplay outfit with cleavage down to her navel*

It's not completely inappropriate at the ball but everywhere else it just looks hilarious.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

The Sharmat posted:

Nah, keep it, get the stuff that makes it more likely to critical, down a katakan decoction, and laugh as every other hit is a crit.

what stuff is that exactly?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of the alt outfits... how do I turn them off?? Do I have to uninstall the DLCs or is there an option I missed somewhere?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Our localization team is the best in the industry afaik, that's on top of having an exceptional PL story team. I'd be interested to know how the translation is in other languages. I think we have VO in Japanese, Russian, German, and French, plus official text translations in Spanish, Arabic, Korean, traditional Chinese, and a few others?

Best in the industry indeed. The English accents and vernacular use is just spot on. Peasants with a general West Country accent, the Baron and his lot having a bit of a Wolverhamton/Brummie lilt, the one Skellige lass I met seemed to be a bit Newcastle/Sunderland. I'll need to play more, visit more regions of the game to see if the accents have been assigned to groups or if it's just a satisying mix that also works, but it's a great and consistent audio variety. Which is UK regional accents in a nutshell. So wildly different, yet fit together so well. Using so many of them, and them all sounding right for their characters, well it's rare in games. drat bloody rare.

Whatever you're paying those people, it's worth every penny, absolutely nailed it.

CJacobs posted:

Speaking of the alt outfits... how do I turn them off?? Do I have to uninstall the DLCs or is there an option I missed somewhere?

It's on the DLC menu, from the main title screen. You can check installed content and there's a menu in there to turn them off.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Ruggington posted:

what stuff is that exactly?

Some of the ursine gear. Think there's also a talent in the heavy attack tree that does it but I can't remember if it increases the odds of a critical hit or increases crit damage.

CJacobs posted:

Go under DLC in the game menu.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Parkingtigers posted:

Best in the industry indeed. The English accents and vernacular use is just spot on. Peasants with a general West Country accent, the Baron and his lot having a bit of a Wolverhamton/Brummie lilt, the one Skellige lass I met seemed to be a bit Newcastle/Sunderland. I'll need to play more, visit more regions of the game to see if the accents have been assigned to groups or if it's just a satisying mix that also works, but it's a great and consistent audio variety. Which is UK regional accents in a nutshell. So wildly different, yet fit together so well. Using so many of them, and them all sounding right for their characters, well it's rare in games. drat bloody rare.

Whatever you're paying those people, it's worth every penny, absolutely nailed it.

The Skelliger at Crow's Perch? Her accent is different from the other Skelligers. This is on purpose, because she's been away from Skellige for some time. Also the Nilfgaardian guards outside the Var Attre estate later don't have Nilfgaardian accents. Why? Because they're actually Cintrans (Ciri's countrymen) in Nilfgaardian uniforms.

The attention to detail on this poo poo is superb.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

The Sharmat posted:

The Skelliger at Crow's Perch? Her accent is different from the other Skelligers. This is on purpose, because she's been away from Skellige for some time. Also the Nilfgaardian guards outside the Var Attre estate later don't have Nilfgaardian accents. Why? Because they're actually Cintrans (Ciri's countrymen) in Nilfgaardian uniforms.

The attention to detail on this poo poo is superb.

This loving game. :allears:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Parkingtigers posted:

This loving game. :allears:

You'll probably have a better ear for them than us Yanks, but Skelligers have Irish accents and I seem to recall a poster way back in the thread saying he noticed different Skellige villages (or islands, clans? I forget) each had their own specific Irish accent.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I take it the English localization team also handles casting and stuff? Because they do a stellar job on that too, Comte. I hear these voices when I read the books now.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Does the Polish version use regional accents as part of characterisation as well?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

It's not completely inappropriate at the ball but everywhere else it just looks hilarious.

Just replayed that part since the DLC came in and point of fact: she changes into the gown before the ball, so she actually dresses down a bit with her eveningwear.

Yes, though, her dlc outfit is bad.

Ciri's though, is fantastic.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Why does literally everything need white gull

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Ruggington posted:

Why does literally everything need white gull

Because White Gull is a special Witcher alcohol and alchemy requires alcohol.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Beeez posted:

Because White Gull is a special Witcher alcohol and alchemy requires alcohol.

no I mean from a gameplay perspective of not annoying the poo poo out of me

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

koreban posted:

Just replayed that part since the DLC came in and point of fact: she changes into the gown before the ball, so she actually dresses down a bit with her eveningwear.

Yes, though, her dlc outfit is bad.

Ciri's though, is fantastic.

Ciri's disappointed me because some of the alternate concepts I saw were much cooler. I ended up sticking to her official outfit. Also, midriff bearing armor...

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

The Sharmat posted:

Some of the ursine gear. Think there's also a talent in the heavy attack tree that does it but I can't remember if it increases the odds of a critical hit or increases crit damage.

Ive been using the New Moon relic armor set from HoS for my current playthrough. It has +crit and +crit damage on every piece. I added a slot to the chest then used levity from the runewright to make it all considered light armor, since its a medium set. The reason I do it is that theres a yellow skill (Cat school techniques) that increases crit damage. I also take the new yellow skill that makes it so every adrenaline point increases crit by 8%, and use weapons that have crit and crit damage.

Needless to say, I feel like a glass cannon

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

respecced to more of an alchemy focus+the two strong attack boosting skills since I might as well make use of my ursine set

threw a dancing star while I was close to an arachas and sent my self flying across the room and broke my chest piece

alchemy loving rules

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Lufiron posted:

Ive been using the New Moon relic armor set from HoS for my current playthrough. It has +crit and +crit damage on every piece. I added a slot to the chest then used levity from the runewright to make it all considered light armor, since its a medium set. The reason I do it is that theres a yellow skill (Cat school techniques) that increases crit damage. I also take the new yellow skill that makes it so every adrenaline point increases crit by 8%, and use weapons that have crit and crit damage.

Needless to say, I feel like a glass cannon

That'd actually be a pretty good build if you mixed it with that alchemy thing that made potions last longer and makes every potion heal you by an absurd amount. Throw on an ekimarra decoction for HP drain and the fact that your HP is low won't matter so much.

Alternatively just never get hit.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
This game is really good about giving you chances to be an rear end in a top hat for no reason with various conversation options. Usually this results in someone getting mad at me and turning an otherwise complicated quest into "kill all these people you've arbitrarily insulted," and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

According to my other half the Japanese version is very well done. Geralt sounds pretty cool, if a little old, and despite sarcasm being harder to do in Japanese it seems to come across quite well.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'm pretty sure I :3: every time Geralt does that sigh he does when something ridiculous is afoot. Such as right before he has a conversation with a pig.

Also, to whoever mentioned that Geralt usually has snappy one-liners that result in him murdering the hell out of dudes, that's exactly how I play him. I'll resolve things peacefully if I can, but if it comes down to choosing between a bribe or killing a buncha dudes? Well, Witcher's gotta make a living...

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

My general order is: ask - bribe - threaten/refuse - fight. If they're boneheaded enough to pick fights after all that, better that they put themselves out of everyone's misery.