Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mithaldu posted:

Win7 64 bit. Here's how Vivaldi behaves for me, in comparison to Opera 12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqvSc3_RZTo

I open a bunch of tabs, duplicate them, and then hit ctrl+t a bunch to make new tabs, as well as tab cycle while scrolling as fast as i can. Vivaldi is noticably slower than Opera 12 for both of these tasks. Does it really behave differently for you guys?

Ha, Daniel had me test something similar a week ago: Just press and hold Ctrl+T a bit to make a bunch of new tabs, then close them again (e.g. holding Ctrl+W). Apparently that's one of the automated tests he wrote for O12, and it's still one of the best at it. New opera does some trickery to make it feel decently fast as well; it's markedly faster than Vivaldi. The more brutal variant is to hold Ctrl+N, though that's even more a test of creation overhead instead of rendering time.

It's hard to say if the more HTML-based UI in Vivaldi would make it harder to optimize these things over time; I would assume most of the heavy lifting is still in native code and could be improved a lot when they have time.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Computer viking posted:

It's hard to say if the more HTML-based UI in Vivaldi would make it harder to optimize these things over time; I would assume most of the heavy lifting is still in native code and could be improved a lot when they have time.
It's not the HTML bit that's relevant here, it's that they're literally writing the new browser in java script: "We use JavaScript and React* to create the user interface with the help of Node.js and a long list of NPM modules." * https://facebook.github.io/react/

There will of course be a native layer, but i suspect that is restricted to the JS engine they run, which will likely be in C, and whatever FFI interfaces they use.

One of the things they're giving up with that is direct memory management, which makes effective optimization of UI code REALLY hard, beyond a certain level of speed. Plus, if they're also keeping within the single-threaded, event-based nature of node.js, which casual observation of the task manager seems to imply they do even when vivaldi has multiple windows open, then creating a *smooth* and responsive UI is going to be almost impossible, since anything will be able to lock the gui and user input events will often be missed/dropped, which is something i observe a lot in vivaldi.

Additionally, even porting JS bits to FFI interfaces will not be able to speed certain things up, as the conversion of data from the realm of a dynamic language back to direct memory-backed stores is very expensive no matter which way you attempt it (bulk, piece by piece).

My source of experience with this is two implementations of 3D GUIs in Perl.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

drat, I didn't know they had gone that all-in when they said they were writing it in JS/HTML. That will be fun to optimize.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Just upgraded to Tech Preview 4, and I think Vivaldi is a fine browser as it is. Only thing missing is plugin support, would really like to see uMatrix & uBlock in Vivaldi.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
There's inofficial support for Chrome addons like ublock. They have a thread about it on their forums.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Been running uBlock for months.

A lot of other addons will (mostly) work as well, as long as there is an Options or Details page you can access through the Extensions page ( vivaldi://extensions ).

Armitage_Shanks
May 16, 2004

Fear the aVICtar.
Has anyone been keeping tabs on Otter? Is it progressing at all?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

Win7 64 bit. Here's how Vivaldi behaves for me, in comparison to Opera 12:

I open a bunch of tabs, duplicate them, and then hit ctrl+t a bunch to make new tabs, as well as tab cycle while scrolling as fast as i can. Vivaldi is noticably slower than Opera 12 for both of these tasks. Does it really behave differently for you guys?
This is pretty much exactly how Vivaldi behaves for me. :smith:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Armitage_Shanks posted:

Has anyone been keeping tabs on Otter? Is it progressing at all?
They keep updating it, so... yes? I haven't used it at all, though.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Oh thank god, I was looking for this thread.

I just performed a fresh install of Opera 31 on a Windows 10 machine. My question is simply how do I enable auto-playing/auto-launching of media files? I've looked all around and can't find any obvious options to do this.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

Oh thank god, I was looking for this thread.

I just performed a fresh install of Opera 31 on a Windows 10 machine. My question is simply how do I enable auto-playing/auto-launching of media files? I've looked all around and can't find any obvious options to do this.

You might want to ask the chrome thread, since Opera 15+ is just chrome with a few mods, and most of the people reading/posting here use Opera 12.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Mithaldu posted:

You might want to ask the chrome thread, since Opera 15+ is just chrome with a few mods, and most of the people reading/posting here use Opera 12.

Huh, I had no idea. I shall do that.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I am using the new Opera, but I don't understand what exactly you want to enable.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

AbstractNapper posted:

I am using the new Opera, but I don't understand what exactly you want to enable.
Gonna assume he means clicking a *.mpg file link will download the file and open it via a local player instead of just showing the "save file" dialog. In Opera12 you can set the MIME type handler using the Downloads settings, not sure how chropera does it, but it shouldn't be too far off.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
As far as I know, the "new" Opera, uses installed plugins to handle some media content (eg pdf files, or videos) as embeded content in-browser.

The behavior of these is managed from Settings -> Web Sites -> Plugins (-> Manage Individual Plugins for a list view of detected plugins).
In my installation there are not many plugins in that view, but I guess that installing some applications (eg vlc or similar) may trigger Opera to detect and use their plugins (if they offer such).

There is no way to set an "open with" association for media file links. The current way seems to be, let it download and then click on the download popup notification and it will open with your OS default program that handles that. Ofcourse this is not the "automatic" way that Cyril Sneer wants.

I've seen some extension that maybe do this, but I haven't tried any...
eg: Open With Application
https://addons.opera.com/en-gb/extensions/details/open-with-application/?display=en

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Gonna assume he means clicking a *.mpg file link will download the file and open it via a local player instead of just showing the "save file" dialog. In Opera12 you can set the MIME type handler using the Downloads settings, not sure how chropera does it, but it shouldn't be too far off.

This is correct. Back in 12, media files would download then launch via my local player. I want to replicate this behaviour in 31.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

New Vivaldi snapshot added Extention UI button support (just basic right now, but still). Hopefully they work on private tabs (I'd settle for window) soon as that's the big block stopping me personally from switching over for most day to day stuff.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Doom Goon posted:

New Vivaldi snapshot added Extention UI button support (just basic right now, but still). Hopefully they work on private tabs (I'd settle for window) soon as that's the big block stopping me personally from switching over for most day to day stuff.

Weirdly enough this somehow broke right-click > Block Element with uBlock :argh:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have no idea how you can use Vivaldi. It somehow manages to be a step back even compared to Opera Chrome Edition. It's slower and clunkier and has even worse Hi-DPi support. I've moved from Opera 12 for some time now and the only thing I miss is Big Tab Mode.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Stanley Pain posted:

I have no idea how you can use Vivaldi.
It gets noticeably better with every new release. I should probably just switch to Firefox or something, but I just don't wanna :colbert:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

It gets noticeably better with every new release. I should probably just switch to Firefox or something, but I just don't wanna :colbert:
You could switch back to Opera 12 and have buttons and right-click menu entries to load the current or linked page in a different browser.

That way you can use Opera 12 as your central browser (which works better than any other browser for the not shittily made websites that make up 95% of the internet), and for anything you find doesn't work correctly in it, or you know doesn't work correctly in it, you can load it in another browser instantly.

It's fairly simple to add and i've described the method here:

Mithaldu posted:

find this and edit this

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

You could switch back to Opera 12
One question about 12: have they kept up with patching to support/deprecate various protocols since all these crypto vulnerabilities have been discovered? Or is it just an unsupported old browser at this point?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

One question about 12: have they kept up with patching to support/deprecate various protocols since all these crypto vulnerabilities have been discovered? Or is it just an unsupported old browser at this point?
They fixed Heartbleed, but after that nothing more (though i don't think there was anything critical that applied to browsers either). Some HTTPS sites also use an encryption algorithm that opera can't handle, those simply will show a load error, but are quite rare.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mithaldu posted:

That way you can use Opera 12 as your central browser (which works better than any other browser for the not shittily made websites that make up 95% of the internet), and for anything you find doesn't work correctly in it, or you know doesn't work correctly in it, you can load it in another browser instantly.

The only sites I ever have a problem with are various Google sites that insist that I can't possibly use them because I'm using an unsupported browser, but actually work fine if I pretend I'm using Firefox or something. It's just a nuisance.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Well I sure do love this Vivaldi bug wherein highlighting the address bar sometimes makes it think I'm editing my bookmarks, which via a couple of misplaced "ctrl+x"s has eaten entire folders which I have no way of quickly re-adding. (edit: I think it just disabled the Speed Dial entirely. Amazing.)

Maybe I'll try Otter for a few days until a bugfix comes out.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Awesome, Vivaldi's added private windows to its newest snapshot. It's not private tab support (which, from the comments, sounds like it'd be significant development that won't even be considered for a long time), but maybe now I can use it enough that I can get annoyed with it too.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Vivaldi went Beta today.

https://vivaldi.com/press/releases/2015-11-03-Vivaldi-Moves-to-Beta/

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Is it reasonably fast yet?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

No, it is not.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mithaldu posted:

No, it is not.

:lol:

RIP

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I've been using Vivaldi a bit for the past month or two. It's quite nice. Granted, I haven't tried using any addons yet.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

Is it reasonably fast yet?
The beta is MUCH speedier than even the most recent alphas. It's getting there. I've been using it as my daily for quite a while now. Though like every other Chromium browser it just eats all the memory.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

The beta is MUCH speedier than even the most recent alphas. It's getting there. I've been using it as my daily for quite a while now. Though like every other Chromium browser it just eats all the memory.

It struggles when opening a bunch of empty tabs at once. It struggles when closing them again. It struggles when switching between tabs, even after giving it some time to settle down.

It struggles with utterly simple things in unchallenging situations. I can only imagine how badly it runs once you're actually throwing any kind of load at it.

This is seemingly unchanged.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
I'm actually liking Vivaldi especially the quick command thing, tabs on the side, and tiling, but do wish I could move tabs between windows.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

It struggles when opening a bunch of empty tabs at once. It struggles when closing them again. It struggles when switching between tabs, even after giving it some time to settle down.

It struggles with utterly simple things in unchallenging situations. I can only imagine how badly it runs once you're actually throwing any kind of load at it.

Hey, I didn't say it's perfect yet. I said it's much better.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mithaldu posted:

on the other hand, Opera 12.x is a dead browser whose incompatibilities are growing daily and Chropera is, well, Chropera

and people's fetishization of speed over everything else is retarded; there is a reason you don't drive a Formula 1 race car to work. speed isn't the only feature which matters

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I'm not fetishizing speed, i'm pointing out that Vivaldi cannot even keep up with a dead browser and that it's not even not fast, it is outright slow.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
In some regards Windows XP can be faster and more responsive than 7 or 10 but that doesn't mean you should run it

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Mithaldu posted:

I'm not fetishizing speed, i'm pointing out that Vivaldi cannot even keep up with a dead browser and that it's not even not fast, it is outright slow.

That is a kind of stupid comparison to make though. The speed of opening and closing tabs is vastly unimportant to how quick the browser is at everything that actually has to do with dealing with page content (yet more importantly, how able the browser is at doing that in the first place). Make a comparison test with that, grab 5 or 10 commonly used websites and see how well Opera 12 vs Vivaldi does. Because viewing websites is why you are using a browser, not opening or closing tabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I also tested tab switching.

In any case, i didn't bother testing further because Opera maintains that kind of performance even with my 80 tabs open. I doubt Vivaldi can even open that many tabs without the UI becoming unusable.