Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
facebook 1B daily users, 1.5B monthly users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
lotta people said congress on the last page, i think they meant senate?

which is good, i hope daraprim guy gets in a load of poo poo with the senate

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

congress = senate + house of representatives

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

crusader_complex posted:

lotta people said congress on the last page, i think they meant senate?

lol

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Triglav posted:

congress = senate + house of representatives

whoops, ty

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
in tech bubel news:

"Tonight, in a decisive victory for the middle class, voters stood up for working families' right to share their homes and opposed an extreme, hotel industry-backed measure," said Airbnb in a statement.

Critics of Prop F said the measure is a misplaced attempt to fix a decades-long housing crisis. They claim many of the people renting out their homes on Airbnb are actually middle-class homeowners trying to make extra money to put toward their own ballooning housing costs.

"City residents have rejected the divisive policies of Prop. F and demonstrated their support for the middle class San Franciscans who depend on home sharing to pay their bills and stay in our community," said No on F campaign manager Patrick Hannan.

Prop F wasn't the only real estate measure on the ballot in San Francisco. Residents voted against a moratorium on building new market-rate housing in the rapidly gentrifying Mission District. However, they voted overwhelmingly for a $310 million bond for building affordable housing.

Mayor Ed Lee has said he hopes the bond money will aid his plan to build or repair 30,000 units by 2020.

San Francisco voters last approved a housing bond in 1996, rejecting two others in 2002 and in 2004.

A proposal to freeze development of luxury housing in the city's trendy Mission District also lost with 60 percent of the votes against it.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Welp, it looks like we're not buying a house any time soon.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

your first big exposé from Breitbart tech

http://www.breitbart.com/tech/2015/...dustry-veteran/

quote:

Feminists in tech have been staging attempted “honey traps” to frame prominent male software developers for sexual assault, according to explosive claims on the blog of Eric S. Raymond, a pioneer of the open source movement. In allegations that will rock the world of software development, prominent targets included Linus Torvalds, creator of the Linux kernel.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

you were supposed to buy the house in 1978, dumbass

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
SF also voted to raise height limits on the waterfront which is also pro-development.

The anti-development politics might be changing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

checks out

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

closed-source spermjackers

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

expedia is buying homeaway for $3.9b.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

nah

the first was how if you use a gps you're raping your wife

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the stature of Raymond within software development lmao

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Triglav posted:

you were supposed to buy the house in 1978, dumbass

Tell that to my parents who had the opportunity to buy something in Cupertino in the mid 80s.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shadowhand00 posted:

actually, it's about ethics in middle class home sharing

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

expedia is buying homeaway for $3.9b.

not bad, that's only 2/3 of a candy crush

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

they've really hit an amazing intersection of "bitter barely functional autists", "bitter angry republicans" and "bitter divorced men", I can only applaud them. it's like discovering a new previously unseen metal

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

THC posted:

they've really hit an amazing intersection of "bitter barely functional autists", "bitter angry republicans" and "bitter divorced men", I can only applaud them. it's like discovering a new previously unseen metal

sneaky females coming for my precious bodily fluids

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

A senior manager of the taxi app Uber has threatened a British driver for establishing a union to fight for better treatment, a leaked email appears to show.

Uber drivers have been raising concerns over working conditions, including pay being cut and having to spend up to 30 minutes getting to passengers.

In what seems to be an email to one driver that has been posted online, Jo Bertram, the company’s general manager in the UK and Ireland, states: “Several drivers have brought to our attention that you may be organising another meeting to revisit some of these issues. I am again surprised that you would take this step, and concerned that it could undermine the progress being made.”

In the document, made available on thememo.com website yesterday, she adds: “I would advise you to review the partner terms, to avoid any risk of violating them, and, in doing so, invalidating your partner agreement.”

The email is dated October last year, during discussions with a group of Uber drivers who had formed the London Private Hire App-based Drivers Association (LPHADA) which has since become part of the GMB union.

Yaseen Aslam, a founding member of the LPHADA, said that anyone “can clearly assume it was a threat”.

He said: “It’s hard to get drivers to come out and speak out or attend meetings, because they’re already worried about losing their jobs.” He claims that the company removed him from its pool of drivers earlier this year, after he exposed a loophole which allowed individuals to register and drive uninsured.

Steve McNamara, general secretary of the Licensed Taxi Drivers’ Association, told The Independent: “Uber has a firm policy of getting rid of whistleblowers and what they term ‘troublemakers’.”

He added: “Any Uber drivers who question earning less than the minimum wage, or who discuss with customers their low earning potential, are also quickly removed.”

Uber said: “This email is over 12 months old and has been taken out of context, the comment was relating to social media activity that breached our partner terms.

“Uber has a good relationship with its partner-drivers and operates an open door policy so they can come and talk to us about any issues they may have.”

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

http://techcrunch.com/2015/11/04/expedia-acquires-airbnb-rival-homeaway-for-3-9b/

Expedia bought some homeaway start up for $3.9b

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

meanwhile, jet is almost assuredly going to die soon

they need 550 mil to not go broke at the end of the year. i tried it once and it took them like 4-5 days to get some paper towels sent to my house

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
who?

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

commodification of the trans community is somehow worse than gendered products

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Awww a bloo bloo blooo little baby doesnt like being marketed to? little baby doesnt like ebing the demographic? well heres a newsflash: thats what being a Gamer feels like. Everywhere I turn it s HEY! GAMer! heres SOME MT DEW! andim like PLEASE, leave me alone. then I turn around and ITS DORITOS!! Im screaming now and cradling my head THE MASTER CHIEF NEEDS YOU TO SAVE THE HALO!! gently caress OFF!!! GO AWAY!!! Being a Gamer is Hell.

Cyberbird
Jul 18, 2015

we can get through it together, smythe.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Smythe posted:

Awww a bloo bloo blooo little baby doesnt like being marketed to? little baby doesnt like ebing the demographic? well heres a newsflash: thats what being a Gamer feels like. Everywhere I turn it s HEY! GAMer! heres SOME MT DEW! andim like PLEASE, leave me alone. then I turn around and ITS DORITOS!! Im screaming now and cradling my head THE MASTER CHIEF NEEDS YOU TO SAVE THE HALO!! gently caress OFF!!! GO AWAY!!! Being a Gamer is Hell.

lmao

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

theyre basically amazon if amazon warehouses were instead employees who go to sams club, costco, walmart, etc., bought the item you ordered, brought it back to their warehouse or w/e, and shipped it to you so you can spend 10 cents less than if you just bought it on amazon with free two day shippings

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
4/5 Facebook ads I get are for variations of that pay money for others to clothe you monthly thing. And a glowforge which I already fuckin preordered buts it's literally the second post I see whenever I Facebook on mobile now

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I never get facebook ads I only ever get sponsored content which is links to blogs that have ads on them but they never load cause safari is trash for retards.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

A Yolo Wizard posted:

4/5 Facebook ads I get are for variations of that pay money for others to clothe you monthly thing.

same. that or lovely $60 watches that are supposed to be classy

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
i never get facebook ads because i use an ad blocker like any sane human being would

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

pay money for others to clothe you monthly

what

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

A Yolo Wizard posted:

4/5 Facebook ads I get are for variations of that pay money for others to clothe you monthly thing. And a glowforge which I already fuckin preordered buts it's literally the second post I see whenever I Facebook on mobile now

oh yeah i get trunk club too. so i get programmer/social anxiety/super overpriced clothes ads. facebook thinks i'm roast beef but rich

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in tech bubel news:

"Tonight, in a decisive victory for the middle class, voters stood up for working families' right to share their homes and opposed an extreme, hotel industry-backed measure," said Airbnb in a statement.

I love the idea here that airbnb is for working families. Like, the economy is so lovely and the housing so expensive you literally have to rent to strangers or you'll go broke. Thanks airbnb for empowering me!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

there are like 10 startups if not more that all do the same thing. you give them like 200 dollars a month and they send you premade outfits because you're too incompetent or busy writing code to figure out how to make yourself look like a white collar hipster

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

triple sulk posted:

there are like 10 startups if not more that all do the same thing. you give them like 200 dollars a month and they send you premade outfits because you're too incompetent or busy writing code to figure out how to make yourself look like a white collar hipster

my mom does this for free and also delivers soup + eskimo kisses. problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
last time i saw ads on facebook they were all super gay

• Locked thread