Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Cole posted:

this is kind of a dick post for no reason

i told him to stop being a hysterical bitch a few pages ago he's going to be snippy at me for a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

abraham linksys posted:

I don't know, I think there's hints of fun in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTYgq4EoRo

Just fun in a different way.

also this is hot garbage sonically

like im sure there's some really important things hes saying in there about being black in america and being a man and really deep stuff but i don't want to listen to it, not because, to beat whoever to the punch, i need my music to be a bunch of racist exploitive poo poo about fuckin hoes in the trap, but because this SOUNDS BAD and there is other music that SOUNDS GOOD and i would rather listen to that.

Brent87
Nov 7, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQEnPXKNsI8

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

so loving future posted:

like im sure there's some really important things hes saying in there about being black in america and being a man and really deep stuff but i don't want to listen to it, not because, to beat whoever to the punch, i need my music to be a bunch of racist exploitive poo poo about fuckin hoes in the trap, but because this SOUNDS BAD and there is other music that SOUNDS GOOD and i would rather listen to that.
Just like how kids today worship the 90s and the 90s babies worship the 80s and 80s babies worship 70s, stuff like For Free reminds me of those old weird movies like Petey Wheatstraw or Sweet SweetBack. By any chance, are you white?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voxp3ckwJZ0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSNvdLpLx-0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRcNswirGUY

temple fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 5, 2015

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

so loving future posted:

Calm down. Speed Racer by Young Thug is a cool song too and you should go listen to that on repeat while smoking hella blunts instead of getting mad at a song you don't like because it obviously wasn't made for you.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I wouldn't expect most to get what music and style Kendrick was throwing back to

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

so loving future posted:

Nah I think it sounds good, like the rest of the album. I like what it lays down. I get that in isolation it sounds pretty weird, though. I wasn't really trying to say it was like a standout track or anything, it just shows that Kendrick is trying to have fun even with the heavy themes that he's trying to get across.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Marching Powder posted:

i told him to stop being a hysterical bitch a few pages ago he's going to be snippy at me for a while

don't flatter yourself by thinking that was some sort of epic burn that really got to me and made me "snippy" lol. no. but i was a dick to you just now because you're always making terrible posts trying to call me and others out. and when you're not trying to do that, you're just making terrible posts in general (such as the one that started this particularly stupid spat that I hope you are man enough to end now by admitting that you're somehow an even worse poster than me and moving on to the self-improvement phase).

anyway, can't believe the thread hasn't endorsed puff daddy's new mixtape yet smdh... thread really is dead :rip:

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Please stop dude

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction
Lord jesus we have used Metacritic as a measurement of album success :yikes:

Extreme real talk: TPAB is constructed in a manner that is sensitive to black culture and incorporates spoken word and much more poetic structure while being uncomfortably in your face at times. It's drat near an afro-centric body of work.

And you know what? It made Kendrick into the most appropriated and accepted rapper I can think of in a long time. It really begun when "I" came out and that entire campaign. It's almost like people can point to his album and be like "look at this right there - racism's over, move along". Kendrick is the Obama, the "my black friend", the safe negro, the hipster neighborhood in Brooklyn that is one stop before Bed Stuy.

In terms of it's importance it might be one of the most important and substantive albums of our time, to be honest.

And even in all that it's still self aggrandizing and was not an easy listen. It's trying SO HARD to carve out it's own self important lane. It's not even the best album of the year, by any longshot; BUT the real AOTY Tetsuo & Youth won't get appropriated and consumed in the same manner as TPAB - It's too raw, it's too dark and it's WAY too real. That's my only issue with the album outside of how it actually sounded to my ears. It got SUCH a critical acclaim and epic levels of praise that it all but shut everyone off to all of the AMAZING music that has come out this year.

We want to talk about classics? We can't even get there because the music of the year has been drowned in the watery shadow of TPAB.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

thathonkey posted:

don't flatter yourself by thinking that was some sort of epic burn that really got to me and made me "snippy" lol. no. but i was a dick to you just now because you're always making terrible posts trying to call me and others out. and when you're not trying to do that, you're just making terrible posts in general (such as the one that started this particularly stupid spat that I hope you are man enough to end now by admitting that you're somehow an even worse poster than me and moving on to the self-improvement phase).

anyway, can't believe the thread hasn't endorsed puff daddy's new mixtape yet smdh... thread really is dead :rip:

This is a terrible post

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

monster 2 please save us

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Yuzenn posted:

We want to talk about classics? We can't even get there because the music of the year has been drowned in the watery shadow of TPAB.

I think history will look back on Tetsuo & Youth as a classic of this era, along with GKMC.

Nobody else here seemed to like Summertime '06 that much but that's the other AOTY contender in my book. It's pretty long though and I know I haven't fully digested the whole thing so I need to spend some more time with it but for now that's how I feel.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Joe Gillian posted:

Calm down. Speed Racer by Young Thug is a cool song too and you should go listen to that on repeat while smoking hella blunts instead of getting mad at a song you don't like because it obviously wasn't made for you.

i'm so far from mad :2bong:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

abraham linksys posted:

Nah I think it sounds good, like the rest of the album. I like what it lays down. I get that in isolation it sounds pretty weird, though. I wasn't really trying to say it was like a standout track or anything, it just shows that Kendrick is trying to have fun even with the heavy themes that he's trying to get across.

For Free is one of the best tracks on the album, specifically because it is fun and freewheeling and vibrant. If the rest of the album sounded more like that and not a symposium at the Lyricist's Lounge I would have actually liked the album.

e: also Summertime 06 is a great album and one of my favorites of the year. I feel like right now Vince Staples is where Kendrick was when Section 80 dropped, and I'm really interested in seeing where he goes from here.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

hey lets post music instead of circlejerking and making incredibley pathetic posts about posts about posting about rap music at each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob0Etc5_xxM

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

thathonkey posted:

I think history will look back on Tetsuo & Youth as a classic of this era, along with GKMC.

Nobody else here seemed to like Summertime '06 that much but that's the other AOTY contender in my book. It's pretty long though and I know I haven't fully digested the whole thing so I need to spend some more time with it but for now that's how I feel.

Summertime 06 is actually my current pick for AOTY but I haven't really said that until now because there's a ton of other albums I haven't listened to yet this year and don't feel like my opinion has been fully-qualified. For example, I am just now listening to Tetsuo & Youth (thanks Yuzenn/other ppl in this thread who posted about it recently and reminded me to get to that)

HorseRenoir posted:

e: also Summertime 06 is a great album and one of my favorites of the year. I feel like right now Vince Staples is where Kendrick was when Section 80 dropped, and I'm really interested in seeing where he goes from here.

Definitely. Blue Suede and Senorita had a huge impact, but the album itself doesn't seem to have had quite the same traction, which I think also parallels Section 80 & ADHD.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Hahah a whole lotta words in here to try to justify that even though TPaB isn't good to listen to it's really important because some critics said so or whatever. Like I said, that's the benefit of being able to listen to and appreciate hip hop without worrying about this superfluous bullshit. I can just say "this album sounds bad so it's bad" without worrying about a bunch of other bullshit.

Free your mind. Enjoy music for the actual music.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

and comeon everyone knows JUMPMAN JUMPMAN JUMPMAN is AOTY :smuggo:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
senorita is a loving amazing song. that aside though i found summertime only really got going in the last third of the album. and i'm really bitter that my favorite track on that entire album is only 47 seconds long.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I wanna fly to Australia so bad

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Profondo Rosso posted:

hey lets post music instead of circlejerking and making incredibley pathetic posts about posts about posting about rap music at each other

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob0Etc5_xxM

more devin the dude please. i'll love him forever for orchestrating one of the finest weed smoking songs of all time and the entire album it's on in general

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPehGao9jik

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

monkeu posted:

Hahah a whole lotta words in here to try to justify that even though TPaB isn't good to listen to it's really important because some critics said so or whatever. Like I said, that's the benefit of being able to listen to and appreciate hip hop without worrying about this superfluous bullshit. I can just say "this album sounds bad so it's bad" without worrying about a bunch of other bullshit.

Free your mind. Enjoy music for the actual music.

I think the album sounds good, thus making it good.

See, we're now at an impasse, which is why conversations about music generally don't start and end with "I think this music sounds good/bad." Otherwise we might as well move this thread and rename it "PYF rap/hip-hop/R&B song."

Marching Powder posted:

senorita is a loving amazing song. that aside though i found summertime only really got going in the last third of the album. and i'm really bitter that my favorite track on that entire album is only 47 seconds long.

Kind of agreed, though I like some of the stuff on the first disc ("Norf Norf"). This is my favorite track (it's also, not coincidentally, awesome live):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuErF0DLCl8

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
if you slept on vince staples' Hell Can Wait EP last year and liked Summertime 06 you should go back and check that out for sure. it's different but good and you can tell he was gettin ready to make something special now in retrospect when you listen to it (even though I called it in one of the versions of this thread that he was gonna do big things. i basically discovered vince staples yall :smug:)

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

i will gladly post more devin the dude because hes my favorite weed rapper by far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnAzvHlAJ3Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chX-ESJ89K8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQGmUzboXxc

edit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHb4D4xCUT0

also ive already posted this song but this 3stacks verse is worth posting twice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T1jdreS6ko

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 5, 2015

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

thathonkey posted:

if you slept on vince staples' Hell Can Wait EP last year and liked Summertime 06 you should go back and check that out for sure. it's different but good and you can tell he was gettin ready to make something special now in retrospect when you listen to it (even though I called it in one of the versions of this thread that he was gonna do big things :smug:)

I honestly did not pick up Summertime 06 until now and whoaaaaaa this poo poo is loving fire. Senorita is as good as people have said.

A++++ to everyone who suggested to pick this up. I'mma check up Hell Can Wait also.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Yuzenn posted:

I honestly did not pick up Summertime 06 until now and whoaaaaaa this poo poo is loving fire. Senorita is as good as people have said.

A++++ to everyone who suggested to pick this up. I'mma check up Hell Can Wait also.

:respek: it's the perfect time to be getting into '06 as well now that it's getting cold (despite the name of the album it is most def not geared for the good vibes of summer)

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

thathonkey posted:

thanks for actually responding with something thoughtful. so you're saying you like future when he's being vulnerable? i think that is what most people want from musicians and it is what makes the best ones so intriguing. if future had more songs focused on him as an individual and what makes him unique instead of having personal stuff come out in spurts mixed in with random talk about lean and loving bitches in songs like march madness that'd be great

however, i think it's a stretch to compare the depth of music to kdot though unless you have some more examples to prove me wrong

all future's [really good] songs are about him though.

just like bruddas posted:

Off 2 milligrams, I forgot about my ex-ho
Staying with the gas, fill my blunts up with petrol
Pop a couple double G's and down it with some XO
Trippin' off them bars you forgot when you was dead broke
Styrofoams and mula, yeah, styrofoams and mula
Half a million dollars on a ring, I'm taking Percocets
Down five Xanax and I pray I wake up, and forget
I been with the gang cause they love me how I am
poo poo ain't been the same, they talkin' bout me on the 'gram
They say I turned my back on my baby mama, I'm on them tabs
And my hood looking up to me, I love them niggas to death
Even in the after life, when ain't a breathe of me left

vs

swimming pools (drank) posted:

If I take another one down, I'ma drown in some poison, abusin' my limit
I think that I'm feelin' the vibe, I see the love in her eyes, I see the feelin'
The freedom is granted as soon as the damage of vodka arrived
This how you capitalize, this is parental advice
Then apparently I'm over influenced by what you are doin'
I thought I was doin' the most 'til someone said to me:

future freestyles everything so we get drug-addled but self-aware stream of consciousness raps that, to me, are way more interesting (and relatable, with better knack for melodies and production). k dot clearly goes to work with a mission statement of trying to carefully craft righteous and important artisanal hip-hop verses.

i mean it's two completely different styles and i like both songs, but pretty much anyone can sit down and pen some "deep poo poo". i can go read poetry on deviantart if i want that, it's not bringing anything fresh to the table. a rapper battling his demons in real-time over fire beats is something new and exciting and that's why it's been radically successful. it would devalue future's music to slow it down and structure it the way kendrick does.

i mean that's pretty much what he did on honest and that's why the album was not so bueno compared to everything he's dropped this year

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
you know what's super bueno forever though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTC0dgOSY4A

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

thanks for the busdriver - perfect hair shout out. it's fantastic.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
TPAB is musically every bit as interesting as it is lyrically or "culturally" or whatever. It's really good.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

it's okay, that bitch was from australian anyway

u made the right decision

monkeu posted:

Reading the ridiculous posts of some dudes in here makes me really happy that as an Australian I can listen to hip hop without worrying about how each song relates to race relations, how "hard" of a dude listening to each artist will make me and what each artists relationship is with J Prince or whatever.

It means I can just appreciate the music for the music. It makes me true hip hop fan I guess.

this thread is so good rn

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

thathonkey posted:

umm apparently Puff Daddy dropped a mixtape today?

http://www.audiomack.com/album/2dbz/mmm

It has a Future feature on track 9 :shrug: strange times we live in

it also has a darkside sample on track three. its a solid mixtape

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the new Bieber album will save this thread

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the new Bieber album will save this thread

Has Bieber done a song with Drake? Pretty surprising if no. They seem like a great match.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Cole posted:

Has Bieber done a song with Drake? Pretty surprising if no. They seem like a great match.

what do you think
http://www.vevo.com/watch/justin-bieber/right-here-(lyric-video)/USUV71300324

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, we need to stop arguing about whatever meaningless poo poo we are talking about. None of it is really important. Unlike the future of our country.

https://soundcloud.com/abcpolitics/ben-carson-radio-ad

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Summertime '06 hands down album of the year.

Norf Norf, Jump Off the Roof, Lift Me Up, Senorita, Surf, 06 etc etc. it's great as a whole piece to, NOID killed the production.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
GOOD AM, Summertime 06 could both be AOTY, maybe even Rodeo. I liked Earl's album a fair bit too

Edit: biggest disappointment is easily 90059, outside of the intro track which was rad

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Rodeo?? Come on that album as a whole was booty.