Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Seeing as how basically everything in the 75" range all cost the same within a 100 or so of each other, who's got the best tv for use as a giant bluray watching device with occasional pc hooking upness. I was looking at the previous Sony 75, but that got discontinued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I would like to buy an HDTV, but not a smart TV since that's a feature I have no desire for and can easily be supplemented by a $35 Chromecast. How do I go about looking for not-Smart TVs?

They don't really make not-smart TVs anymore and if they do, they're cheap for other reasons (like being lovely TVs) beyond lacking "smart" functions. As long as you can stomach never pressing the little Netflix button on your remote or whatever, don't worry about it. You're not paying some huge overhead for the features and honestly the "cost" of them being integrated into your TV that you pay for is probably less than the $35 a Chromecast would run you

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

What's your rough budget and what size are you looking for? That's pretty important information before being able to recommend anything

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
If you are looking to buy a decent 1080p TV for say a bedroom or kids room, this is a great deal for one (you can easily flip the GC online).

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

goferchan posted:

They don't really make not-smart TVs anymore and if they do, they're cheap for other reasons (like being lovely TVs) beyond lacking "smart" functions. As long as you can stomach never pressing the little Netflix button on your remote or whatever, don't worry about it. You're not paying some huge overhead for the features and honestly the "cost" of them being integrated into your TV that you pay for is probably less than the $35 a Chromecast would run you

Oh alright. Mostly I'm looking for something cheap, maybe in the ~$300 range? I don't need anything too big, honestly 35" is enough. I was mostly asking because I'm not sure what my options are at this point and I'm more doing exploratory research.

I'm fine with smart TVs, I just figured they were still in that "extra feature" category where it's an excuse to add $100 to the price tag or something.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Cross posting from the Apple TV thread, but I want to get a new Vizio 50" and it's clear it supports controlling of OTHER devices via CEC, but doesn't say whether IT can be controlled by a CEC device. Anyone know how to tell? I'd like to make sure I get a TV that the Apple TV can turn on and off.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

dexter6 posted:

Cross posting from the Apple TV thread, but I want to get a new Vizio 50" and it's clear it supports controlling of OTHER devices via CEC, but doesn't say whether IT can be controlled by a CEC device. Anyone know how to tell? I'd like to make sure I get a TV that the Apple TV can turn on and off.

My cable box remote can turn my Vizio M series TV on and off.

Edit: Oh that's not what you asked. Nevermind.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

dexter6 posted:

My 2015 Chromecast can turn the Vizio M50 it's attached to on when I cast something to it from my desktop, if a trip report is enough.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Oh alright. Mostly I'm looking for something cheap, maybe in the ~$300 range? I don't need anything too big, honestly 35" is enough. I was mostly asking because I'm not sure what my options are at this point and I'm more doing exploratory research.

I'm fine with smart TVs, I just figured they were still in that "extra feature" category where it's an excuse to add $100 to the price tag or something.

Vizio E-Series all the way for you, probably. Without doing any deal-hunting whatsoever it looks like you could do a new 40" at Wal-Mart for $350. I got a refurb 48" for $380 from a Groupon deal and my experience has been flawless, but I've heard mixed things from other people about buying refurbs online so it kinda depends on what sort of potential hassle you're willing to put up with -- worst case scenario, if something's wrong with it you return it, but I've heard of people having to return refurbs like 2 or 3 times to Amazon before getting one without any issues so I guess your mileage may vary. And yeah, I think smart features used to be like that but now it's sorta become the standard. I never use mine and unless I accidentally hit one of the remote buttons to enable them you'd never know they existed

edit: and speaking of tolerance for bullshit, obviously black friday is right around the corner and I'm sure there are gonna be some deals in your price range there. Either way, especially if you're ok with doing a refurb, you can probably get more than 35" in the $300 range

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

dexter6 posted:

When I turn my PS4 on, my TV automatically turns on, if that's what you mean.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

goferchan posted:

When I turn my PS4 on, my TV automatically turns on, if that's what you mean.
That's it, thanks.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

veedubfreak posted:

Seeing as how basically everything in the 75" range all cost the same within a 100 or so of each other, who's got the best tv for use as a giant bluray watching device with occasional pc hooking upness. I was looking at the previous Sony 75, but that got discontinued.

I'm partial to the Sony's in the large-size screens. I went with a 70W850B ~14 months ago and still love it, the longest I've probably ever appreciated an electronic thing.The 75W850C looked good to me when I checked it out. I think they still have them at Best Buy? Maybe discounted even! If you have the $$ I would definitely go Sony over Vizio. The quality difference is more noticeable in these large screens, maybe a calibration thing, I don't know honestly.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
I'm looking for a replacement for my old TV (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074FGNDC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00)

Basically looking for a good 50''-65'' non-smart (no bullshit accessories) TV for gaming. Something exactly like the Samsung UN50EH6000 would be perfect.

Edit: I'm thinking something like this is probably my best bet (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U9U9336?tag=rtings-tv-bs10b-20&ie=UTF8)

tyrelhill fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 3, 2015

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

I ended up getting the 55" J6200 but never posted my findings here. Someone asked me about it over PM, and here's what I told them:

quote:

I got the 55". It's seen quite a bit of use so far - a bunch of Youtube (via PS3), a Miyazaki blu-ray, a few things on Netflix, and a lot of gaming. (nothing too fast-paced yet, though)

I'm quite happy with it, though I don't have crazily high standards. It's very comparable to the (now broken) TV I spent over twice as much on 2.5 years ago. The colors are vibrant, and the motion handling is quite good. Even better is that I can keep motion interpolation on without any big increase in input lag. (IIRC, it's ~15ms extra) So games look like they're running at a much higher frame rate than they actually are, without much of a downside. Awesome. (if you're really sensitive to input lag, though, you may think it's too much)

My complaints:
- Black levels are good, but without backlight dimming they're never going to be true black. It looks fine even with the lights off, but it's still a dark gray instead of black.
- The backlight isn't quite as bright as I'd like. It gets bright enough without having to increase the "brightness" setting (and washing out the picture), but that's with the backlight almost completely pegged to max.
- Glare on the screen is slightly worse than my last set.
- Only two HDMI inputs.

Overall, for the price, it's probably quite hard to beat. I'd definitely recommend it.

Still haven't played any FPSes on it or anything, but I've been quite happy with it, especially for the price.

Edit: I should mention that on Amazon, it looks like the 50" and 55" are the same price, so unless you're space-limited, go for that.

tyrelhill
Jul 30, 2006
Yeah it's a good price and pretty much same specs as my older model. Gonna pick one up this weekend, thanks!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Groupon has refurb Vizio M65-C1 and M70-C3 TVs on sale ($1,099.99 and $1,499.99). Is the only difference between these two the extra 5 inches for $400? What are the opinions on those two models?

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
The M70 is the best deal you're going to find for a decent 70 inch 4k TV. None of the M-series models have any feature that's outstanding, and it has some motion blur issues. That said, nothing is terrible either. It also has fantastically low input lag. If you're in the hunt for a large 4k TV that isn't going to be as huge of a drain on your wallet, I don't see many choices better than the M70.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
What's everyone's thoughts on refurb tvs? Personally I just don't feel safe spending 1500 bucks on a tv that isn't going to come with a full warranty.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

veedubfreak posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on refurb tvs? Personally I just don't feel safe spending 1500 bucks on a tv that isn't going to come with a full warranty.

I am being completely honest here, and I don't know what you do for a living, but I've seen your posts. Don't you have enough money to not worry about a refurbished tv? :)

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Got my LG 55EG9100 OLED today. Amazon's packaging job was loving horrific, but the TV seemed to survive. The picture quality is outstanding; everything just pops. I played Splatoon on it for a bit and the colors looks so nice on it compared to my other TV. WebOS is also really good for a smart TV platform. It's fast, and their wiimote-ish remote works fine. It also works flawlessly with my receiver. Just plugged it in, adjusted the audio setting and boom, done.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Captain Yossarian posted:

I am being completely honest here, and I don't know what you do for a living, but I've seen your posts. Don't you have enough money to not worry about a refurbished tv? :)

In which way? Getting burned by a tv that shits itself on day 91? Or by skipping the refurbed. I'm of the mind that a 1500 dollar refurb is a bad idea.

Need to sell this god damned Titan-X so I can buy a new tv :)

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

veedubfreak posted:

In which way? Getting burned by a tv that shits itself on day 91? Or by skipping the refurbed. I'm of the mind that a 1500 dollar refurb is a bad idea.

Need to sell this god damned Titan-X so I can buy a new tv :)

Haha I'm just busting your balls. I was implying that you shouldn't HAVE to "cheap out" on a refurb since I know how much you drop on GPUs :)

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Haha I'm just busting your balls. I was implying that you shouldn't HAVE to "cheap out" on a refurb since I know how much you drop on GPUs :)

Ya, I'm not afraid to buy a new tv, it's just that I can't decide on which one. Ugh, I wish they weren't all just so close and had a clear winner. Although I'm definitely not spending 3500 on the new 75" Sony when I can pick up the 70" Visio/Sharp/LG for 2k.

Also, I feel bad sending a still working tv off to the graveyard. My 42" Sony Wega has been limping along in the bedroom for far longer than it has any right to.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Like the monitor thread in sh/sc I'm going to start wish for incredible bullshit with no foundation in reality. Sooo come on 120hz input capable oled tv!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

veedubfreak posted:

Also, I feel bad sending a still working tv off to the graveyard. My 42" Sony Wega has been limping along in the bedroom for far longer than it has any right to.

I keep wanting to replace my 2 year old Samsung for no reason other than "get a bigger TV" but I'll probably wait until next year.
Someday I'll get rid of that old first(?) generation 39 inch Vizio that survived 2 years of college and another 6 years as a living room/bedroom TV.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

veedubfreak posted:

Ya, I'm not afraid to buy a new tv, it's just that I can't decide on which one. Ugh, I wish they weren't all just so close and had a clear winner. Although I'm definitely not spending 3500 on the new 75" Sony when I can pick up the 70" Visio/Sharp/LG for 2k.

Give it to me ya dingus lol

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The problem is, it was bought in I wanna say 2003? It's a first gen rear projection lcd tv. It was basically one of the first widescreen tvs you could get back then. It blew its first build 13 months after I bought it (the one time I've had an extended warranty be worthwhile). The 2nd bulb is still going strong, but the lcd is cracked in 2 spots. So in the upper right of the tv there is a big blue blob, and the lower left corner has a big yellow blob. And for a while, when I was originally looking at new tvs, it would occassionally just strobe and go black. But now it seems to want to live, it's like a rich grandparent that has dementia and has everything willed to you, IT JUST WON'T DIE. Meanwhile the living room tv is the last model of Samsung 67" DLP LED tvs before they went all flatpanel. I want to say I bought that one in 2007. The color sucks and on ocassion it will lose its mind and I'll have to get behind it and unplug it to force it to reset. The fan is also getting progressively louder. Right now it's just a matter of which set finally gives up first.

Meanwhile downstairs I still have a 27" CRT that i bought in 95. Best Buy gets to haul that one off regardless of which one upstairs dies.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Those old widescreen tv's really are great, but God drat are they heavy... like hundreds of pounds :(

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Those old widescreen tv's really are great, but God drat are they heavy... like hundreds of pounds :(

The 27" isn't widescreen, but it still weighs 90 pounds. Those ginormous 32" widescreen CRT tvs were ridiculous.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

The 27" isn't widescreen, but it still weighs 90 pounds. Those ginormous 32" widescreen CRT tvs were ridiculous.

Oh god I worked in a warehouse where I had to move those fuckers. Sony's were so much heavier than equivalent sized tvs. And yes the 32" ones would break your back.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My last 27" crt tv got rolled down a flight of stairs... it was just too heavy to move RIP

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
When I lived in a 3rd floor apartment I gave away my 32" Trinitron for free on craigslist so long as they get it down without my help. Was worth it.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
So I'm thinking of getting a 4K set. Realizing that most of my content will still be 1080p from satellite and AppleTV, I should probably look at OLED sets.

Does anyone have the LG55EG9600, or an equivalent recommendation? I don't know about size, but most if it is from the bedroom, viewing distance approximately 10'.

Thoughts?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have to move in to my parents place for a few months before I emigrate. Given how much stuff I have to move, I think I'm going to be a good friend and trade someone my 50" plasma for their ~32" LCD. It's like giving up a child because it's just too awkward to take them with you, but wanting a smaller child that suits your needs better in the meantime.

Then getting the biggest and best child you can find when you move. This analogy is not working.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Mr. BT posted:

So I'm thinking of getting a 4K set. Realizing that most of my content will still be 1080p from satellite and AppleTV, I should probably look at OLED sets.

Does anyone have the LG55EG9600, or an equivalent recommendation? I don't know about size, but most if it is from the bedroom, viewing distance approximately 10'.

Thoughts?

We just got a 55EF9500 at work which is the flat version. It's amazing. Any specific questions about it?

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002

the nicker posted:

We just got a 55EF9500 at work which is the flat version. It's amazing. Any specific questions about it?

How does regular content look on it? Have you tried any 4K/gaming/etc? Will I be missing out unless I sit like 5' from it?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Mr. BT posted:

How does regular content look on it? Have you tried any 4K/gaming/etc? Will I be missing out unless I sit like 5' from it?

At 55" I think 4k is kind of a wash, personally. We did stream house of cards in 4k and it looked fantastic, but I had to be right up at the screen to tell the difference. Didn't game on it. Regular content looked great so long as the source was good, compression artifacts really stood out when streaming at lower bitrates. But that's to be expected.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I don't you're going to notice that much of a difference at 55" from 5 feet away. 60 or 70 would be a far bigger leap.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

the nicker posted:

At 55" I think 4k is kind of a wash, personally. We did stream house of cards in 4k and it looked fantastic, but I had to be right up at the screen to tell the difference. Didn't game on it. Regular content looked great so long as the source was good, compression artifacts really stood out when streaming at lower bitrates. But that's to be expected.

Fun fact. Main reason it looks better is cause of the higher bitrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

the nicker posted:

The 1080p House of Cards blu-ray has better bit-rate than the Netflix 4k stream.