Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Are you using Yrden? Because you absolutely need to.

That worked. I didn't realized it worked like that.

Saxophone posted:

I'm pretty sure I :3: every time Geralt does that sigh he does when something ridiculous is afoot. Such as right before he has a conversation with a pig.

Also, to whoever mentioned that Geralt usually has snappy one-liners that result in him murdering the hell out of dudes, that's exactly how I play him. I'll resolve things peacefully if I can, but if it comes down to choosing between a bribe or killing a buncha dudes? Well, Witcher's gotta make a living...

That kind of stuff in Witcher 1 made me love Geralt as a character. He just can't believe the amazingly insane things he gets roped into and just sighs and goes along with it.

Is the dorky Triss outfit the deep cut V neck outfit?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

Is the dorky Triss outfit the deep cut V neck outfit?

If you saw the dorky outfit, you wouldn't have to ask.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Sharmat posted:

If you saw the dorky outfit, you wouldn't have to ask.

I googled looking for the alt outfits, and i see one where you have deep cleavage and one that does not. I also saw the production Ciri's, those are awesome! Though I think I can understand why they weren't used because they look a little well equipped for a woman trying to lay low.

Hahah, "Do I really have to keep ringing this thing to keep you following? Come on Dammit".

Ah level 11 so I can finally craft all my Griffin Gear.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 5, 2015

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

This game is really good about giving you chances to be an rear end in a top hat for no reason with various conversation options. Usually this results in someone getting mad at me and turning an otherwise complicated quest into "kill all these people you've arbitrarily insulted," and I wouldn't have it any other way.

I really enjoyed the line of Gerald not giving "a green, runny poo poo" about Ulrich's little underground meth fisstech lab.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

My favorite line was from the new expansion. "gently caress you, I do what I want" Clearly someone was having a lot of fun with that questline/dialog all around,

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I knew I was going to love Geralt when he counter's the university academic's credentials boast wirh "Geralt of Rivia, Witcher, with tenure".

Pellisworth posted:

You'll probably have a better ear for them than us Yanks, but Skelligers have Irish accents and I seem to recall a poster way back in the thread saying he noticed different Skellige villages (or islands, clans? I forget) each had their own specific Irish accent.

Seriously, this loving game.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

"...supervises..." is one of my favourite lines in the whole game.

twistedmentat posted:

Ah level 11 so I can finally craft all my Griffin Gear.

I hope you don't mind looking like a pagan santa claus. I'm one of those terrible people that modded it to look more 'witcher kit' style :(

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I like how lighthearted some quests are compared to others, like when getting drunk with fellow witchers before dispelling Uma's curse, or the quest for the master alchemist.

As for quotes: "Geralt... of loving Rivia."

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Kopijeger posted:

Does the Polish version use regional accents as part of characterisation as well?

I don't think so, apparently there's not really the same kind of cool variations you get in the UK.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Found a video comparing the various dubs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hHuEv9f1B8

Plus, one where they demonstrate the Russian voices specifically:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai4iKwP7nmg

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 5, 2015

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Kopijeger posted:

Found a video comparing the various dubs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hHuEv9f1B8

Plus, one where they demonstrate the Russian voices specifically.

Interesting video. They all seem adequate, apart from the German dub which has terrible actors who display no emotion (apart from Yennefer), and I say that as one of those freaks that actually enjoys German as a language. The German Geralt is not someone I'd want to spend a hundred hours listening to. The French Geralt though, I'd let him get me drunk and molest me, he's a smooth bastard. All the French actors in that clip were great, even the kids.

I think the English dub is so drat good I'm prepared to call it the definitive version. Sounds like France got a good deal out of things too. Not familiar enough with the other languages to fairly judge but they didn't stand out as much as these two.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Bombadil posted:

As for quotes: "Geralt... of loving Rivia."

I'm partial to "Yes, tis I, Geralt, a witcher..."

Also, a shame about not being able to get Shani's original VA back, but the whole cast in the expansion was solid.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I dig how the expansion makes fun of Geralt's Gwent addiction and Gwent in general.

When you play Gwent against Shani where she jokes that Geralt is probably the type that would travel to the other end of the world just to play against some dude - there was a moment of pause after that where I was sure Geralt is about to confirm that with a straight face because it's totally how it works in the game.

The other moment was the elf merchant next to the Vegelbud Residence who was more interested in playing Gwent than showing Geralt what he has on sale and when you finally persuade him to show you what he's selling he has like 3 Gwent cards and nothing else.

Good times all around.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Parkingtigers posted:

I think the English dub is so drat good I'm prepared to call it the definitive version.
I think the Polish one has pretty good VA which surprised me as normally Polish localisations are terrible. It additionally benefits from tons and tons of references to very specific local flavors/cultural elements that the English one doesn't have but that's because the main writers are Polish so it's understandable most of it was lost in translation. The game is basically a long love letter to Polish culture.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Really interested about that aspect. Is it like winking to the camera kind of references, like the Mad Max ones in HoS?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Considering how people, including Palpek, have described the bulk of the game as basically being Poland but with Monsters and poo poo, I'd imagine the cultural point of reference is much more fundamental than just wry nods to the audience.

Like how a story set in a country that's obviously just Japan at some point in history transplanted into a fantasy milieu with a new name slapped on will obviously ooze Japanese culture even if it's not "Japan" per se.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Tirranek posted:

Really interested about that aspect. Is it like winking to the camera kind of references, like the Mad Max ones in HoS?

One example that I'm familiar with (since I worked on it): In the Forefather's Eve quest all those chants and lines are from a poem by super-famous polish poet, Adam Mickiewicz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dziady_(poem)

All those house decorations, with the painted flowers and such, it's polish as gently caress.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
"Do you know why they call chess the game of kings, Geralt? The pawns move about on one level, only focusing on their limited moves. The king sees things on another level, taking in the entire battlefield. Do you understand?"

> No.

"The king therefore has to worry about everything at once. He is surrounded by his strongest enemies, and even risks being blocked in by his own men. The true test of a king is whether or not he can effectively sacrifice his soldiers to achieve victory. Do you understand now?"

> No.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I feel like I should be worried that everything Radovid says there makes sense to me.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

There are different kinds of references in the game. Some of them are obvious nods but some fit both the setting and the time period so well that if you don't know the source material by heart you'd take them for genuinely written lines. A few examples:
  • The wedding has many lines taken directly from The Wedding - a famous Polish play from the beginning of the 20th century.

The village where the wedding takes place in the game is called Bronovitz which is the name of a real life village where the book's author was at a wedding that inspired his work (not where it took place in the book) and the house where the wedding takes place in the game is modelled directly after its real life counterpart.

The author himself is mentioned in the game under the name 'Islas' - an island in Polish is called 'wyspa' and the author's real name was Wyspianski. There was also a prominent movie based on the play and the overall visual tone of the wedding in the game reminds me of it a lot.

Among many other lines - one of the games at the wedding requires Geralt to look for a shoe underwater and a girl sitting next to the pond says 'you need shoes at a wedding' which is a pretty well-known line from the book.

• The wild boar journal description contains part of a classic children's poem about boars.

• The expansion is in a huge part based on the Polish folk legend of Sir Twardowski but additionally both some of the lines and behavior of Olgierd and his men references "Lady Twardowska" - a ballad based on the legend written by Adam Mickiewicz considered to be the Polish national Poet. The three wishes Olgierd gets come from the poem and not from the book. There are actually too many references to the list here.

• Lines and names during the heist reference a classic Polish movie Vabank. The main guy organizing the heist in the film was called Kwinto and the story of Quinto in the game resembles his a lot. At this time this should be a pretty obscure reference for young Polish people though.

• Numerous random lines that you hear during the expansion's main quest come from historical Polish movies for example "The witcher should soon be buried. The skies weep" comes from the movie The Deluge in which Olgierd could easily get a role. One of Olgierd's men is called Bohatyrowicz which references another book Nad Niemnem and he calls his sword Tradition which is a reference to a popular Polish comedy where a simple villager called his daughter Tradition not understanding the meaning of the word.

That's just some of the stuff from the expansion and the list is probably already way too long for people from outside the country but you get the gist of it. I'm also sure that I didn't catch many of the references out of lack of knowledge. For example I read somewhere that Olgierd and his brothers are based on actual historical figures but I haven't heard of them before.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
If I'm not mistaken, Olgierd and his brother are wearing Kontusz, a costume considered typical of early modern Polish nobility, and they also wear their hair in a style considered typical of Cossacks.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
:( But I liked Triss's alt outfit.
Yennifers is great too.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh yeah I'm not counting visual references because they're all based either on history or famous book descriptions (that I don't remember). The expansion also uses characters from the new Witcher book from 2013 called 'Season of Storms' which is yet to be released in English.

Cossacks is definitely an obvious influence but Olgierd and his men are also very much based on Lisowczycy also called 'lost men' who were an irregular and independent unit of Polish cavalry 'characterized as extremely agile, warlike, and bloodthirsty'.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SectumSempra posted:

:( But I liked Triss's alt outfit.
Yennifers is great too.

I believe it's not so much about werher it looks good or not, as it is about how over the top it is for someone trying to keep a low profile.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Whoa, what?
I just read there's a Witcher movie slated for a release in 2017?
Which could even launch a Witcher movie franchise?

See, I couldn't give a green runny poo poo about the World of Warcraft live action movie, but The Witcher?
gently caress yeah!

Edit: Let me rephrase – a hollywood budget movie that probably will not be despised by fans, critics and the creator of the character.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 5, 2015

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
It's been done already:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hexer_%28film%29

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

Oh yeah I'm not counting visual references because they're all based either on history or famous book descriptions (that I don't remember). The expansion also uses characters from the new Witcher book from 2013 called 'Season of Storms' which is yet to be released in English.

The Borsodis, right? All I know about that story is that it has Coral in it and Geralt gets his swords stolen like an idiot, apparently. Also that it has a dumb explanation about how mage immortality works.

mcbexx posted:

Whoa, what?
I just read there's a Witcher movie slated for a release in 2017?
Which could even launch a Witcher movie franchise?

See, I couldn't give a green runny poo poo about the World of Warcraft live action movie, but The Witcher?
gently caress yeah!

Edit: Let me rephrase – a hollywood budget movie that probably will not be despised by fans, critics and the creator of the character.

I'm not remotely excited. It's probably not going to have a remotely appropriate budget to make live action work. Also a feature film is not at all the right venue for this stuff. Comte, tell CDPR to get the studio that does their cinematics to make an animated television series for HBO or Netflix.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tirranek posted:

"...supervises..." is one of my favourite lines in the whole game.

I hope you don't mind looking like a pagan santa claus. I'm one of those terrible people that modded it to look more 'witcher kit' style :(

Looks fine to me. I also found the barber in Oxfort and now Geralt has muttonchops and an undershave.

This being Poland, do Winged Lancers ever show up in any form? I remember discovering that they were a real thing and not just from Warhammer after seeing a documentary on them ages ago. They made a replica of the wing and put in in a wind tunnel to simulate a charge, and the thing sounded like 100 kinds of demons screaming.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
The Poland parallels don't go that far, no.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Besides, I thought the winged hussars were more of an Early Modern period thing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Besides, I thought the winged hussars were more of an Early Modern period thing.

they are, but at the same time, it would have owned cause they were awesome

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Isn't this game early modern? The armor we see looks to be around 13-15th century.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Sharmat posted:

The Borsodis, right? All I know about that story is that it has Coral in it and Geralt gets his swords stolen like an idiot, apparently. Also that it has a dumb explanation about how mage immortality works.
Honestly it's not Sapkowski's best work but hey more Witcher! Also right now I'm reading a part of Narrenturm (a book way better than Season of Storms) with a character that definitely inspired the creation of Letho.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I thought the game being set in not-Poland was super obvious, since Redania's coat of arms is the friggin polish eagle and everyone wears bright red.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm very tempted to respec out of side effects just because of how god damned obnoxious Cat is

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

The Sharmat posted:

I'm not remotely excited. It's probably not going to have a remotely appropriate budget to make live action work. Also a feature film is not at all the right venue for this stuff. Comte, tell CDPR to get the studio that does their cinematics to make an animated television series for HBO or Netflix.

I'm not remotely involved, I don't even think CDPR is involved, but I could be wrong. Regardless, my (limited) understanding is that the people who do our cinematics* are the people doing the movie, but I could be totally mistaken, you all probably know more than I do.

*Two different companies do our cinematics, I know very little about either.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Buschmaki posted:

I thought the game being set in not-Poland was super obvious, since Redania's coat of arms is the friggin polish eagle and everyone wears bright red.

Beautifoo pretty birdooo

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Well, looks like it's time for Sam Elliott to collect some naked lady cards

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Completely lost my poo poo at the option to say nothing about the white whale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foulbrood
May 17, 2004

This is it, Jonesy!
So I've been avoiding this thread due to not being finished with the main story (I've been plugging at it intermittently since early June), but...

Is there a save game database somewhere? I done hosed up Geralt's love life something fierce and would really like to see him end up with Yen for my first playthrough :downs: