Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

YF-23 posted:

That is a kind of stupid comparison to make though. The speed of opening and closing tabs is vastly unimportant to how quick the browser is at everything that actually has to do with dealing with page content (yet more importantly, how able the browser is at doing that in the first place). Make a comparison test with that, grab 5 or 10 commonly used websites and see how well Opera 12 vs Vivaldi does. Because viewing websites is why you are using a browser, not opening or closing tabs.

You're wrong on this though. The entire UX needs to be speedy, period. Anything else leads to a bad UX. I'd argue that moving around the interface is of more importance than rendering speed. Specifically when you're dealing with people who have 80+ things open at once. I know some of you have some weird/twisted soft spot for Vivaldi at the moment, but as far as UX goes, it fails pretty badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Stanley Pain posted:

You're wrong on this though. The entire UX needs to be speedy, period. Anything else leads to a bad UX. I'd argue that moving around the interface is of more importance than rendering speed. Specifically when you're dealing with people who have 80+ things open at once. I know some of you have some weird/twisted soft spot for Vivaldi at the moment, but as far as UX goes, it fails pretty badly.

Yes, of course it needs to be responsive and quick, but my point was that opening up 20 tabs in a row is kind of a lovely way to actually measure performance. Vivaldi has plenty of flaws but if you are going to be looking at that kind of power usage RAM hogging is going to become an issue a hell of a lot quicker than the speed of opening a 65th tab.

And of course people here are gonna have weird twisted soft spots, it is the goddamn Opera thread.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Which sucks because Opera 12 is still king of the hundreds of tabs open use-case.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

YF-23 posted:

RAM hogging is going to become an issue a hell of a lot quicker than the speed of opening a 65th tab.
You're missing the point and not paying attention.

If Opera can hold that kind of performance up to at least 80 tabs, and Vivaldi struggles with a mere 20, not just in creation/closing, but also in tab switching, how do you expect it to be any use at all with 80 full tabs open?!

Or is your answer simply this?

"Use fewer tabs. Get less out of the same ram and cpu."

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
if you want to see fast tab opening and closing, check out opera 9.

zero delays, can open hundreds of tabs in mere seconds and close them just as fast.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Mithaldu posted:

yes

bookmarks exist for a reason :shobon:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

You're missing the point and not paying attention.

If Opera can hold that kind of performance up to at least 80 tabs, and Vivaldi struggles with a mere 20, not just in creation/closing, but also in tab switching, how do you expect it to be any use at all with 80 full tabs open?!

Or is your answer simply this?

No, that is not what I am saying. Obviously, Opera 12 is in many ways going to be faster than Vivaldi, forever. Obviously you will never actually be able to be running 80 tabs simultaneously in Vivaldi. But I do not think that is "getting less out of the same ram and cpu" on account of Vivaldi not actually struggling to or failing to render a constantly increasing number of websites. If I made a browser that could handle having a thousand tabs open simutaneously better than Opera 12 that performance would mean poo poo all if it also could not properly display any website.

I love Opera 12. I used to use it pretty exclusively long after it stopped receiving support. Part of the reason I prefered it was, yes, better performance and the ability to handle dozens of tabs open at the same time. Is any browser in the near future going to be as good as Opera was on its hayday? Probably not. But that does not make Opera 12 good today, no matter how fast it can open how many tabs.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

YF-23 posted:

you will never actually be able to be running 80 tabs simultaneously in Vivaldi
Then it is not worth my time.

YF-23 posted:

But that does not make Opera 12 good today, no matter how fast it can open how many tabs.
Stop putting words in my mouth.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
YF-23. I think you're missing the point of what some of us are saying.

It's great that Vivaldi can render pages properly, like any modern browser should and that Opera 12 is starting to get long in the tooth. Where Vivaldi fails at is pretty much all other aspects of the UX (tab switching, tab opening, generally getting around the browser, etc). It'll probably get some speedup, but at its core it's going to be a slow pile of poop. Personally, I'd almost prefer faster UX vs. 100% Web Page Rendering :).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

No, I think I understand you. My typical session when I used Opera 12 would involve 20 or more tabs. I absolutely had to to change my browser habits when I switched to Vivaldi. Switching browsers was not a change I made immediately because, for a long while, I did not want to give up being able to run sessions that big. I had to question if maintaining those big sessions versus using a handful of tabs and bookmarks was worth it. And what I will say is that, for me, it wasn't. Nor is O12's tab opening/closing/etc speed worth it. And I will go as far as to say that unless you are using your browser for something very specific that for some reason actually requires that kind of speed or running that many tabs at once, it is not worth it.

What I am saying is not "Vivaldi is great and actually you are mistaken about its UX speed because in truth it is the fastest thing ever". What I am saying is that even though Vivaldi is obviously inferior to Opera 12 in those respects, you should not base a comparison between the two purely on that. Yes, Opera 12 is better there. But there's much, much more than that that should be compared.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

quote:

Nor is O12's tab opening/closing/etc speed worth it.
It is a little arrogant to presume this as an objective fact, if that is what you are doing.

You can safely assume that anyone for whom the UX of Opera does not matter as much has already switched and the people you're talking to here know what they need. ;)

Personally, i just have all browsers installed (yes, even vivaldi) shortcuts to open stuff in them on all links in opera and use opera as the main browser with all other browsers serving as fallbacks for various purposes. (Though Vivaldi has never been in need so far.)

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Well on my desktop I also have all browsers installed, except I've been using Vivaldi exclusively since January. When I upgraded to Windows 10 in July I was briefly shocked when I remembered Opera 12 and Chropera were still installed

Basically, it's really nice having the ability to just use one browser all the time like Normie Neurotypical but still have features even if it comes at the cost of a few fractions of a second re: tab switching :shobon:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

cost of a few fractions of a second re: tab switching :shobon:
Haha, you are so funny, i am dying of laughter here over the extraordinary sharpness of your wit. :geno:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

yes

bookmarks exist for a reason :shobon:

So when I'm scrolling down my twitter feed, i should right-click any interesting link and select "bookmark link" instead of middle clicking. Then I should open a new tab and open one of those links. When I'm done with it, I should unbookmark it and open the next bookmark.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

I just bookmarked that good post.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i just got an email from opera sayin they're discontinuing Opera Link, but my bookmarks will still synchronize just fine, all I need to do is upgrade to the new Opera

:flip:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Even better, on their twitter account they had a screenshot of someone with 100 tabs open in Chromera, with all of them being indistinguishable slivers of button corner, and asked other people how many they had open. It's disgusting how they pretend that still has anything to do with their work.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i think my maximum was around 1500 tabs open in opera 12. the UI was a bit slow but that was the only problem. after you open enough to make them smaller than a pixel, they scroll off the edge instead of getting smaller.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Vivaldi Beta 2 just dropped today! Every release gets a little faster, a little more responsive, a little more stable (as it should), a little more like O12.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Using Vivaldi in Linux, I don't seem to have any audio (eg. in YouTube). I can't find anything about this in the settings, is it just broken or have I missed something?

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Tiggum posted:

Using Vivaldi in Linux, I don't seem to have any audio (eg. in YouTube). I can't find anything about this in the settings, is it just broken or have I missed something?

There's been issues with things it needs to use ffmpeg for but basic youtube should work, I think. If you've downloaded or installed a libffmpeg.so try deleting or uninstalling it. Assuming you're using the latest snapshot. And check if anything relevant seems to pop up when running from a terminal.

e: There's also odd problems that pop up that only seem to be fixed by nuking your profile/config/whatever. There's a recent thread on the vivaldi forums where that fixed things. You might try moving/renaming/deleting ~/.config/vivaldi-snapshot.

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 30, 2015

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

FWIW I've had the same issue with 1.0.344.37 on Windows 10, but I've not really played around to find a fix (other than to confirm Vivaldi is the problem, rather than hardware).

Shallow
Feb 9, 2005

Today Opium decided my settings file was corrupt, so it "rebuilt" it. Now I have a speed dial from about 12 months ago because the synch service doesn't synch speed dial at all, just the bookmarks that they spent months trying to entirely deprecate because you WILL use speed dial for everything. Also it lost all my extensions. Actually wondering if it's synch that corrupted the file since I'm synched between an older Win 7 laptop and a newer Win 10 desktop.

I reinstalled Classic Tabs but I think there was one other navigation tweak extension I had but can't remember what it was.

Did anyone ever find a way of getting rid of the two completely redundant search boxes on the speed dial?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I think we all just stopped using Chrompera.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Riso posted:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Riso posted:

Not entirely true ;)

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Stanley Pain posted:

Not entirely true ;)

Technically, I still have it installed, but only because Windows 10 dutifully ported everything over from 7 when I upgraded

I haven't run it since 2014.

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

I'm not sure if this should be one for the Windows thread rather than here, but how do I stop Opera starting automatically when Windows loads (for reference I'm on Windows 8.1)? Every time I bootup it seems to start automatically in order to run an updater before shutting itself down, but I don't use Opera as my primary browser so I'd rather it not do anything until I'm ready to use it for something.

It's not appearing in Task Manager -> Startup, it's not a Service (that I can see anyway), and there don't appear to be any settings within the browser itself to stop it from loading automatically.

vvv Opera 34.0.2036.47

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 15, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Sounds like you're talking about Chromera, which almost nobody is likely to know anything about.

Also, maybe try this: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Ah brilliant, it found something in Task Scheduler so I was able to turn this off. Cheers!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

youtube commenter posted:

Opera 34.0.2036.47
... is this a real version number

guess the only thing holding them back was the user agent http header, :lol:

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Did the update to the forum absolutely wreck everything for the last few 12 users or is it just me?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I've switched from Opera to Vivaldi and it's mostly close enough to how I want it to work, but one thing does keep irritating me. In Opera, I could select text that was part of a hyperlink. In Vivaldi it seems to just drag the hyperlink for some reason. Is there any way to fix that?

If I'm not being clear, what I mean is that, on this page for example, if I try to select the words "Opera Thread" it won't let me, like this:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

lurksion posted:

Did the update to the forum absolutely wreck everything for the last few 12 users or is it just me?

Before leaving for work in the morning I did get some internal communication errors with opera. Firefox worked fine. So "yes"

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

lurksion posted:

I'm posting this from Version 12.17 Build 1863 and it still looks ok? i got a couple of userjs scripts running though.

Tiggum posted:

I've switched from Opera to Vivaldi and it's mostly close enough to how I want it to work, but one thing does keep irritating me.
I actually switched from Chrome to Vivaldi b2 as my browser for script heavy sites like Twitter, Twitch and youtube and Soundcloud and it works pretty drat well! It has tab stacking, the mouse gestures i'm used to, runs all chrome extensions (adblock and ghostery for me) and the UI is much more to my liking compared to vanilla chrome.

Really the only thing i'm missing is the Tab tree view in the left pane.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lurksion posted:

This is what it looks like now for me:

This wouldn't be the first time though, missing or messed up CSS cause the site to look like rear end before and that got fixed eventually.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

mobby_6kl posted:

This is what it looks like now for me:

Same here

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

What (if any) error do you get if you try to open https://forums.somethingawful.com/css/main.css?1420404660 ?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

I've switched from Opera to Vivaldi and it's mostly close enough to how I want it to work, but one thing does keep irritating me. In Opera, I could select text that was part of a hyperlink. In Vivaldi it seems to just drag the hyperlink for some reason. Is there any way to fix that?

If I'm not being clear, what I mean is that, on this page for example, if I try to select the words "Opera Thread" it won't let me, like this:

The only thing I can suggest is to start the click-and-drag from slightly above or below the hyperlink and you can select the text.

For me, what's missing in Vivaldi is custom menus (mainly to browse SA with keyboard shortcuts) and Opera's handling of animated GIFs was much less resource intensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

lowcrabdiet posted:

The only thing I can suggest is to start the click-and-drag from slightly above or below the hyperlink and you can select the text.

If I'm high (or low) enough to not drag the link it just selects from the start (or end) of the line. :confused: