Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

This is awesome. Just goes to show you that it's dangerous to go :gary: PAAAAAAAAAARP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

G0RF posted:

Tour the new, bigger, even more expensive Santa Monica office with Disco!

(If you are a CIG Austin employee, please don't watch. It will your pending office relocation to that old, empty TCBY store all the more painful.)

wait ben legal and sandi are moving in neighboring offices?
in community area.
are they learning from derek smart always keep legal office nearby of you

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Is it wrong that I imagine :gary: with the inception horn instead of an air horn?

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

fuctifino posted:

I posted as a reply to your comment, but I deleted the quote part by accident.

I'm sure that fair use would apply if Bootcha just uses a snippet of it?

I just meant I had the same thought but then thought the better of it. I really hope fair use would apply and protect him, but I don't think RSI is very concerned with legality. I'm still convinced they're going to come up with any bullshit reason they can to not give him his money back.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Eh, if done professionally, it won't have a major impact. Just a day of moving stuff. If there are no problems with setting up the PCs, they can go on the next day. As if nothing happened.

good thing there is no indication that they do anything in a professional manner

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

G0RF posted:

Tour the new, bigger, even more expensive Santa Monica office with Disco!

(If you are a CIG Austin employee, please don't watch. It will your pending office relocation to that old, empty TCBY store all the more painful.)

Wait, they're going to do more motion capture with Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill, etc? Hahaha

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dark Off posted:

wait ben legal and sandi are moving in neighboring offices?
in community area.
are they learning from derek smart always keep legal office nearby of you

legal is probably ortwin

there is no way in hell a spaceship game would need a dedicated in-house mocap studio

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 5, 2015

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Is it wrong that I imagine :gary: with the inception horn instead of an air horn?

Much like Star Citizen the game concept, it can be anything you want it to be.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

fuctifino posted:

Bootcha. Please use it in the vid

I know where this party face needs to go.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Agrajag posted:

legal is probably ortwin

nah ortwin has separate bigger office.
also i love that art and design have their offices. but there's no offices for programmers

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Dark Off posted:

also i love that art and design have their offices. but there's no offices for programmers

Well the artists are the only ones that have released anything.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Well the artists are the only ones that have released anything.

the artists are the ones bringing in the money. programmers are only there for show obviously

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

They're obviously building the new office in anticipation of the yearly DLC releases... hahahahahahahahahaahahahaha...haha ugh my spleen

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf

Sappo569 posted:

They're obviously building the new office in anticipation of the yearly DLC releases... hahahahahahahahahaahahahaha...haha ugh my spleen

Weren't those supposed to be monthly or weekly and free?? Seems legit.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Money can't buy you the ability to meet deadlines or a reasonable scope, but you know what it can buy you? Giant offices. Yayyy giant offices for everyone wooo.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Chalks posted:

Giant offices. Yayyy giant offices for everyone wooo.

Important for making pitches to potential investors. You've got to look like you have lots of money to get even more money.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

AP posted:

That's absolutely incredible, they are building another movie studio and all the private offices for everyone important (Disco Lando, no office).

How much does all that poo poo cost? Also lol at the coding area being two desks and movie production being half the floor space.

It creates the appearance of success. 'Look, we have this shiny new office and all this cool poo poo!' It convinces diehards that everything is fine and dandy, why would they be spending this money if they weren't ok?

But when you look at it deeper, it is an oriental rug hiding a rotting enterprise. They have no product. Their funding levels will only decrease from here on out as they only have their community left, as I doubt there will be tons of new backers. They are making a move to one of the most expensive real estate markets in the country with no deadline for a product. There isn't even an indication that the skeleton of the game promised is there. Just disparate modules. Not even SQ42 showed a mission, just walking and talking. They are banking their profit model on mobile FtP games, except there isn't even a game. Just ships, with no indications of balance or function. Ponzi schemes have a habit of collapsing unpredictability, so it could go on still for awhile.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

AP posted:

Important for making pitches to potential investors. You've got to look like you have lots of money to get even more money.

Big difference between this and the current "investors" is that they're actually building the offices rather than just drawing pictures of them.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Octopode, come explain the positive spin of this tour to me. Is it just to combat the Austin closing story? I don't get why at this point in time before 2.0 is out they'd want to highlight how much money they are wasting in LA when presumably Frankfurt and Manchester are doing all the heavy lifting.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

AP posted:

Octopode, come explain the positive spin of this tour to me. Is it just to combat the Austin closing story? I don't get why at this point in time before 2.0 is out they'd want to highlight how much money they are wasting in LA when presumably Frankfurt and Manchester are doing all the heavy lifting.

no money problem. look big new office in expensive locale. if no money would not move to santa monica. investing more into game production (in-house mocap studio) means game is coming along. mic drop.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Shades of ION Storm are coming back. American McGee this aint

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Could the buildings and property theyre dumping the rest of their funding into be safe from any future legal action when this thing collapses?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

Yeah, and their much-plugged Austin Bar Citizen event looks to further bolster the message that "things in Austin are greaaaaaat". One really wonders what the remaining Austin devs think about all this. I don't assume they'd be talking much about it at a social event with Santa Monica folks there.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Disco "no office" Lando

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

AP posted:

It's a True Believer fluff piece. I guess it could influence someone who is wholly ignorant of everything going on behind the scenes too.

I guess that makes it good marketing*

*a colossal waste of money used to soothe the permanently damaged egos of both Chris and Sandi who have gone to bat in their respective dream fields and have been summarily cast out for being either bad at it or just hucksters at their craft.

edit: my cat likes hair ties.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Incombibulator posted:

Sometimes though I have to resist the urge to bite back. I'm not always successful.
I miss my catte. :gary::romo::yarg:

I feel you, man. Mine passed away a couple of months ago...

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
Why is legal next to the bosses instead of being confined to the admin area or whatever

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Agrajag posted:

so i've been informed that this little poo poo will be arriving on the 22nd, i hate it already. gonna call it fuckface

So fuckin' cute and bannable.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

Beexoffel posted:

I feel you, man. Mine passed away a couple of months ago...

Likewise. I had to give her away due to allergies but I still felt like she was my cat. :smith:

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
My question is: why do they have an in house mocap studio? They spent millions upon millions of dollars mocapping actors for two months and god knows how many man hours loving around with the data and models to make them functional. They also hired a studio in Manchester to do this for them.

Are they going to be taking on work for other studios for more revenue? Will they offer movies mocap services? If not and it is just for SC, then loving why do you have so much mocap in a space sim and what is the point of having one in house when you hired a studio in Manchester which is probably loving cheaper than making your own from scratch?

The mind truly boggles.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Wulfling posted:

See what happens to this thread when Derek Smart pulls a CIG and misses a deadline?

Dreams, dreams happen.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Dapper Dan posted:

My question is: why do they have an in house mocap studio? They spent millions upon millions of dollars mocapping actors for two months and god knows how many man hours loving around with the data and models to make them functional. They also hired a studio in Manchester to do this for them.

Are they going to be taking on work for other studios for more revenue? Will they offer movies mocap services? If not and it is just for SC, then loving why do you have so much mocap in a space sim and what is the point of having one in house when you hired a studio in Manchester which is probably loving cheaper than making your own from scratch?

The mind truly boggles.

imagine the cost of headhunting the guys that will be working in their new mocap studio

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Dapper Dan posted:

The mind truly boggles.

Clearly they're going to syndicate an online Star Citizen show and charge people for it

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hezzy posted:

Why is legal next to the bosses instead of being confined to the admin area or whatever

Because legal is actually an investor / close friend of Croberts

One of the companies under their umbrella is the lawyers' personal movie production company

Not a conflict of interest AT ALL

PS: when the office actually opens, we need a goon to go there and take a picture of the 'reserved' part of the parking lot

I bet it looks pretty much like the parking garage for pablo escobar if he lived in 2015

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 5, 2015

Henry Winklers balls
Aug 2, 2006
Slightly Agravic

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Leave Derek alone. He types like a grandpa that just discovered A Rad Dude's Guide to Internet Lingo and it's adorable.

this is true

:gary:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

SneakyFrog posted:

dude. dont pre-order cattes. wait for the review

Bro look at the jpeg, that's going to be the best cat ever. It's got class 5 fluffy cheeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Agrajag posted:

imagine the cost of headhunting the guys that will be working in their new mocap studio

Yeah, especially with cost of living in that area. You can't hire guys for crap money, so why they are doing it is just :psyduck:

Hezzy posted:

Clearly they're going to syndicate an online Star Citizen show and charge people for it

I honestly would not be surprised with them releasing SC mocapped shorts and selling episodes for a game that doesn't exist.

• Locked thread