Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Lookit that shirt that's like 5 sizes too big! Did we all dress like that 20 years ago?! Christ it's been almost 20 years since then. :magical:

Ohhhh yeah we did. Look at photos of the soccer kits from the 94 world cup. The shirts were gigantic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

google image search JNCO jeans

we liked poo poo baggy back in those days

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it's really weird in hindsight, we went from Ty Webb type early 80's fit polos to those huge baggy things by 1995 or so and there were no other choices around. I blame rap music. :corsair:

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
To be fair 20 years ago there wasn't Dri-fit material like golf shirts today so you'd have to wear a much larger shirt since it was mostly cotton/polyester to even have a chance as swinging properly while sweating your rear end off. I can't be the only guy that played high school golf that remembers shirts literally just sticking to your arms and loving up your back swing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Can we talk Masters tickets for a sec? I'd really love to take my dad next year, even if it's for one of the practice rounds. I entered the drawing and whatnot but for like the 5th straight year wasn't chosen. What's the best way to get 2 tickets and am I going to spend an arm and a leg? It's about a 5 hour drive for me so I figured me and dad could drive up the day before, catch a day of the tournament and maybe hit up one of the other local courses in the area the next day.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

ironlung posted:

you're gonna shoot 90+ next time out, you know that right?

jkjk.. congrats

Yup, such is life.

BCRock posted:

DeBell? Sounds like DeBell, but I thought the rating/slope was a bit higher there...

Either way, congrats man.

Almansor in Alhambra

Halo14 posted:

Well done, next stop even par :)

Hell fuckin' yeah :)

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The problem wasn't the decade, it was his sponsor.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Welp I re-rolled my ankle. Currently riding the rest of the way with a leaky bag of ice. 1st day of being 30 years old and my body is falling apart.

Edit: apparently I may have popped my ankle back into place because there's no obvious swelling or acute pain, just a little soreness. When they were booking tee times for today, I said to my playing partners I wouldn't be available until Tuesday, but with Hurricane Patricia dropping rain all over the southern US next week, I may actually go and play today, which is just as well since GolfNow sent me a 25% coupon for my birthday and it's only good for a 1 player booking.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 24, 2015

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

mattfl posted:

Can we talk Masters tickets for a sec? I'd really love to take my dad next year, even if it's for one of the practice rounds. I entered the drawing and whatnot but for like the 5th straight year wasn't chosen. What's the best way to get 2 tickets and am I going to spend an arm and a leg? It's about a 5 hour drive for me so I figured me and dad could drive up the day before, catch a day of the tournament and maybe hit up one of the other local courses in the area the next day.

Best way to get tickets would be craigslist or ticket master for people selling practice round tickets. You're going to spend a poo poo load of money though. Sometimes you can get lucky and pay someone for a ticket share where they might want to go in the morning and then when they come out, they give you the tickets for the afternoon. Still going to cost a lot. That said, definitely go to a practice round. It's a much more fun environment all around. I am hoping to score some tickets next year for the Par3, but I am not getting my hopes up. I pretty much have Monday practice round tickets locked though. A friends Dad lives in Augusta about 1/2 mile from the course and has had tickets forever, but he's like too old to walk around so he gives the tickets to his son, who then bring people as long as they buy him drinks..

First round in two months went down on Saturday. Shot a solid 80 with a few ridiculous holes. Highlights eagled the first par5. Pretty much an uphill snake layout of a hole goes right then back left to the green. Smashed a drive around 310y and then had a nice easy 175 to the hole with a 7 iron, entire green funneled to the hole, ended up about 4ft. Straight in putt. Then I birdied the next par5 that was 560y and went over water twice. Hit a decent drive but it left me about 240 from the front edge and I had to carry water again. So I laid up with an 9 iron to the end of the fair way, then threw a dart at the pin with my 56 degree wedge from about 90 yards. Missed landing directly in the hole by about 2 inches then had a easy 2' downhill putt for bird.

Par3's caused a lot of headaches and I had a couple blow up par4's after a poor drive into some wooded area, trying to punch out missed every tree but the last one before I was home free, back down the fairway 40 yards with no clear shot at the green, tried to bubba hook that fucker, landed in a creek I didn't see. Just stupid hole both in general the way I played it.

thebushcommander fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 26, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

This is the longest I've seen this thread go without a post, you guys are freaking me out.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah it's been a while.

Was good to see Scotty play well with the short stick at the CIMB classic.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

EnsGDT posted:

This is the longest I've seen this thread go without a post, you guys are freaking me out.

Man, it's been a weird "off-season" for me.

Living in Houston means I can play golf just about year-round, but we've had some EPIC rainstorms during October, which is one of the nicer months of the year. I haven't played in about a month, which is a really, really long time for me. If I don't play, I don't think about posting as much.

Maybe I can play this weekend.

As far as the tour goes, I still consider this to me the silly season for me. I know we're about 3 or 4 tournaments into the season at this point, but I just can't get pumped until the Hawaiian swing kicks off with the Tournament of Champions.

Plus Tiger might be out all of next year. That brings me way down.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Kameh posted:

Plus Tiger might be out all of next year. That brings me way down.

Wow really? That's sad, I thought he might be back for his own tournament next month :(

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Well, I'm at the range right now, and there is a five foot nothing Korean girl to my left absolutely crushing balls, so that's fun haha

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Halo14 posted:

Wow really? That's sad, I thought he might be back for his own tournament next month :(

He had another back surgery either last week or 2 weeks ago. I'm doubtful he'll be back before next summer at this point.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Fingers crossed then I guess.

I really like the copper face on these Cleveland putters!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oooh snazzy

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I'm in the midst of a 5 day stretch of 65-70 degree sunny days here in NY and loving it, I just wish more courses did a good job of blowing leaves away because losing balls in the fairway or light rough is real annoying.

Also my boss told me he can get me a discount at a different local course so I'll be a full member there next year and hopefully play in more tournaments and a league or two, plus maintain my existing unlimited greens fees membership that I've had at the course closest to where I live. Looking forward to next season, hopefully the forecast for a mild winter here pans out.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 4, 2015

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Finally gonna get some golf in among this rain-soaked weather we've had in Atlanta. Friend can't make it out to a semi-private tomorrow so I'm probably going to make the 1 hour trek over to the University of Georgia course again since they have a $22 Hot Deal.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Halo14 posted:

Fingers crossed then I guess.

I really like the copper face on these Cleveland putters!

I really want to get one of these, but I'm super split between the blade and the mid mallet. My stroke is definitely an arc, and I've never used a mallet type before, but I'm tempted to try the mid to get something different.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Watching the WGC in China. Glad that Rory made it out there today after getting food poisoning yesterday... from a chicken sandwich... In China.

Different to watch golf on a Thursday too, well a non Aussie event anyway.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Season is pretty much over for me since I only get out after work and sunset is now 5pm. Was a pretty good year all in all. Just started at the end of last year. This year I tried to get a 9 once a week, usually paired with a range warm up. Made it to the range every 2 weeks or so and used the simulators quite a bit at Golfsmith. Started out shooting around 60 in March, lots of shanks and driving just off the tee box. Ended the year having scored below 50 five times: couple 48's, couple 49's, 46, and my current best a 44.

I still have a troubling tendency to push shots to the right and I can't figure out what I'm doing that causes that. It doesn't happen all the time but I started to notice it setting in more towards the end of the season. It's beginning to become a bit of a pattern. I made a couple of slow mo videos in the hopes that someone can point out some obvious thing I'm doing wrong. These were shot by my buddy with an iPhone so not the same shot, but they are back to back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj1euBYkaqM
This one actually flew very well. Probably a ton I'm not doing right though so I figured I'd show it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFPTIpp0PjY
This turned out to be a great example of the problem. Shot went wide right even though I didn't feel anything off while I swung. Really it felt like I did all the same things as the side view but for whatever reason it did not get on a straight flight path. If I slow it down it looks like the club face is very open. Something is off in how I'm timing things.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Summit posted:

Season is pretty much over for me since I only get out after work and sunset is now 5pm.

Yeeeeep :smith::respek::smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Finally gonna get some golf in among this rain-soaked weather we've had in Atlanta. Friend can't make it out to a semi-private tomorrow so I'm probably going to make the 1 hour trek over to the University of Georgia course again since they have a $22 Hot Deal.
It's 65*F and drizzling, similar conditions to the other time I've played UGA. I'm behind a single behind a 3some, but pace of play isn't too bad, just under 1.5 hours for the front. It's hard to get the ball close to the pins in part because they're tucked but also because I'm guessing either 1/2 or 1 club longer on approach shots.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 5, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Summit posted:

This turned out to be a great example of the problem. Shot went wide right even though I didn't feel anything off while I swung. Really it felt like I did all the same things as the side view but for whatever reason it did not get on a straight flight path. If I slow it down it looks like the club face is very open. Something is off in how I'm timing things.

This feels like club face control to me. So if it's going straight push (8 or H) your swing path is inside out (which is good) but your club face is also too open, though aligned with the swing path. If you find the ball curving out to the right, that means your club face is open with respect to your swing path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLJW3lM6qFI

I also like to do a drill where i sit the club face really open (like 20-30°) and then make myself hit it straight. It really makes you pay attention to where your club face is when you swing.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

So you actually consciously control the club face throughout the swing?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Summit posted:

This instructional video explains how:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsN2sMM1qmA

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Summit posted:

The face/path relationship should be determined at setup and by your swing path. You can do things like release a little harder to close to clubface a little more or release a little less to open the clubface a little more, but there's no way to consistently manipulate the clubface.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Spent some time at the range trying out different things including that bag drill. One thing I noticed is I have really good control of my half and 3/4 shots. Feel very comfortable and like I have control over what direction they will take. Then I move it to a full backswing and I don't really know how to initiate the downswing nor do I feel much control at all. I don't know if I'm just psyching myself out or doing something differently but that was my major takeaway.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I mean, regarding club face, I can usually feel if it's open, closed, or square, enough that I can do it on purpose. If you wear a watch while you golf, try and get the feeling of that watch face returning to exactly where it was when you set up, facing forward.

Also, this is probably not helping with the ball going right problem.

Your alignment is pretty far to the right on that set up. Put a club down on the ground, and make sure while your'e practicing that you're lined up square every time. You can check your shoulders by setting up, and then laying your club across your shoulders, and seeing where it's pointing.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

EnsGDT posted:

Your alignment is pretty far to the right on that set up. Put a club down on the ground, and make sure while your'e practicing that you're lined up square every time. You can check your shoulders by setting up, and then laying your club across your shoulders, and seeing where it's pointing.

Yeah good advice. I almost always do a quick Shoulders/Knees/Feet check at address.

---------------------------

Ran into a mate of mine at the golf club after playing 9 holes yesterday. He let me hit his brand new Mizuno MP5 irons.

I'm in love...

Custom fit with any choice of shaft is $200 per iron at a couple of places. Daaamn.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 6, 2015

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Oh man. Those are sexy.

Speaking of cool clubs, found this bad boy at Goodwill for $2.

A little history of the Kenneth Smith Golf Company, for the uninitiated
http://mygolfmuseum.com/page39.html

Really fun club to find, super soft feeling, super heavy. Honestly, I might re-grip it and use it as my putter. Gonna try it at the putting green tonight :)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

EnsGDT posted:

Oh man. Those are sexy.

Speaking of cool clubs, found this bad boy at Goodwill for $2.

A little history of the Kenneth Smith Golf Company, for the uninitiated
http://mygolfmuseum.com/page39.html

Really fun club to find, super soft feeling, super heavy. Honestly, I might re-grip it and use it as my putter. Gonna try it at the putting green tonight :)

drat that rules. Absolutely regrip that thing and put it to use

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013
Remember there are new ball flight laws with the introduction of Trackman and Flightscope.

http://www.golfwrx.com/107406/understanding-the-new-ball-flight-laws/

Basically: Understand that in order to move the ball right to left, you must have a path that is more “in to out” than where your club face points at impact. Another way to think of it is to have the face pointing left of your club’s path — this will allow the ball to move right to left

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

Doyzer posted:

Basically: Understand that in order to move the ball right to left, you must have a path that is more “in to out” than where your club face points at impact. Another way to think of it is to have the face pointing left of your club’s path — this will allow the ball to move right to left

Yeah, they boil it down really nicely at the end of the article.

All it is, is the relationship between the club swing path and the club face angle.

If your face is open relative to your swing path, the ball will go L to R. If it is closed, the ball will go R to L.

Fuckin un-winnable game, right guys :D

Doyzer
Jul 28, 2013

EnsGDT posted:

Fuckin un-winnable game, right guys :D
That's what brings us back each weekend

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
So simple. Cough :)

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
So I got back from a work trip in Charleston last night. Played a few rounds in Kiawah over the last couple days..played pretty good too, was looking forward to playing on Sunday morning as well.

No such luck though, someone broke into my car last night and stole my golf clubs. Humans really are the scum of the earth. Funnily enough they went through all my poo poo throwing it everywhere in the car and didn't even steal a 200 dollar pair of bluetooth headphones I had in there which was the only other thing of value in my car.

Time to get new clubs, right guys? :argh:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

thebushcommander posted:

So I got back from a work trip in Charleston last night. Played a few rounds in Kiawah over the last couple days..played pretty good too, was looking forward to playing on Sunday morning as well.

No such luck though, someone broke into my car last night and stole my golf clubs. Humans really are the scum of the earth. Funnily enough they went through all my poo poo throwing it everywhere in the car and didn't even steal a 200 dollar pair of bluetooth headphones I had in there which was the only other thing of value in my car.

Time to get new clubs, right guys? :argh:

Holy gently caress that sucks man :(

But yeah, time for some custom fitted clubs :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That blows, man :( sorry to hear it