Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Why would the guy who aches to be a big player in Hollywood build a mocap studio in LA?

Why indeed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip
Here is Finnegan in my hockey gear bag.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Dapper Dan posted:

Are they going to be taking on work for other studios for more revenue? Will they offer movies mocap services?

Pretty sure they'll do anything they can just to get Hollywood types through the door.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Dapper Dan posted:

I honestly would not be surprised with them releasing SC mocapped shorts and selling episodes for a game that doesn't exist.
They could sell water Chris spit into and the true believers would buy it up. Sickos.

"Chris's Spit Water, LTI, $20 Shipped, Quantity 5/5."

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
That's him in the wheelchair
That's him in the Vanguard
Losing all his money
Trying to keep up with the Verse
And he don't know if he can do it
Oh no, he's paid too much
He hasn't paid enough

I thought that I saw him posting
I thought that I saw him whine
I think I thought I saw him :gary:PAAAAAAAARP

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
They should have a star-reader that measures how much life energy you can use to the citizens. Give them the holy book called White Knights for Christ Roberts and and them join. Use admiral levels on how clear you can become to the true savior.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

theultimo posted:

They should have a star-reader that measures how much life energy you can use to the citizens. Give them the holy book called White Knights for Christ Roberts and and them join. Use admiral levels on how clear you can become to the true savior.

Funny enough when I went to Citcon in 2014 I went to the Scientology museum, it was just around the block, and served for a quick 20 minute tour of insanity. Before the real show stated.

Coincidence? Hummmmmm!

edit: posting while at work and sick is a bummer.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 5, 2015

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Lodin posted:

Losing all his money
He hasn't paid enough

the game was just a dream
just a dream

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
The offices are designed so that when Chris gives the order to 'liquidate' the company, it will be easy to do so with fire/guns.

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider

This isn't my cat but I wish it was my cat

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Takes some big loving balls to show off the fancy pants office you're building using crowd sourced cash when you've got close to gently caress all in the way of an actual game after 4 years of work.

They're a shower of cunts but I like that they've realised they can do basically whatever the gently caress they want at this point and the faithful will lap it up.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

AP posted:

Pretty sure they'll do anything they can just to get Hollywood types through the door.

skaboomizzy posted:

Why would the guy who aches to be a big player in Hollywood build a mocap studio in LA?

Why indeed?

Yeah, it makes the most sense. I can imagine it being their end game or safety net when everything else goes to poo poo. If it is their end game and SC is unreleased or falls apart, its some nerve screwing people out of nearly 100 mill and thinking that it wouldn't have consequences. Though there are tons of mocap studios with massive experience already so that might be hard. You would have to spend big money to poach people.

Raskolnikov posted:

They could sell water Chris spit into and the true believers would buy it up. Sickos.

"Chris's Spit Water, LTI, $20 Shipped, Quantity 5/5."

The amount of hero worship is astounding to me. If you follow his past work, it is exactly following a previous pattern (projects completely out of scope, going over time and budget, mismanagement, etc. No bailout in sight, currently). As George Lucas would say, it's like poetry, it rhymes.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 5, 2015

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

happyhippy posted:

The offices are designed so that when Chris gives the order to 'liquidate' the company, it will be easy to do so with fire/guns.

I was reading "The Devil in the White City". It's about America's first serial killer and how he built this hosed up hotel with loads of traps and poo poo to kill the guests.

Makes you think...

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

My co-worker is watching Around the 'Verse right now and I am dying a little inside

here's my cat being outsmarted by a window screen

Space Camp fuckup fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 25, 2016

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

jaffyjaffy posted:

Likewise. I had to give her away due to allergies but I still felt like she was my cat. :smith:
I'm sure you took her to a good place and you can confident about her future. Maybe you can visit?

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 5, 2015

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3rnu3f/ship_kamikazes_insurance/
Ship Kamikazes & Insurance

quote:

Apologies if this has been covered. I ran a quick, but not-comprehensive, search and didn't come up with any recent results...
Insurance is supposed to cover ship loss but what if the loss was on purpose? Let's say a fighter pilot points his ship towards another ship then ejects? Will insurance cover a loss of this type? If so, I think that's pretty cheap and we'll see a lot of griefers doing this just for giggles.
How can we stop actions like I described above? Could the game intelligence include trajectory info and maybe implement a timer? For example, if someone points their ship on a collision course then ejects 15 seconds before the resulting total destruction of the vessel, insurance doesn't pay out and the ship replacement isn't covered? Or is recoverable only with a further co-pay?
Hope I'm making sense. I'm sure many have thought of this before and I wanted to get opinions or pointed towards any official write-ups.

quote:

[–]malogosMercenary 3 pontos 3 hours ago
Kamikaze-ing cannot be a successful strategy in this game if SC is to be any fun. Capital ships will be totally pointless if anyone can buy a few cheap Auroras and ram them into a Cap ship that costs 30x more. And that's exactly what will happen at the high level of gameplay if ramming is effective.
The cost of kamikazing in real life is pretty obvious, and nothing will ever replicate that in a game (not to mention how intention will ever be determined). So I'm not even talking about insurance -- ramming should be very weak.

quote:

[–]scizotalCivilian 3 pontos 3 hours ago
They've discussed this being counted as Insurance Fraud which in turn causes you to loose your insurance. Of course there's nothing 100% official this early but I expect they'll make sure people aren't doing this type of thing.

quote:

[–]SC_TheBursarSpace Marshal 2 pontos 3 hours ago
Err not that I remember. Kamikaze is not fraud according to last I heard from designers. That said of course losing your ship frequently or due to driving badly is going to cost you in longer replacement times / possibly higher premiums (before inevitable retort from someone who doesn't know: LTI is the exact same) / possible rep hits as an unsafe flyer.
Between those penalties and possibly capping the damage it can do is a better method of handling it then saying 'oh you hit someone, your ship is gone!'

quote:

[–]ffreijiMercenary 2 pontos 3 hours ago
Kamikazi =/= fraud, fraud implies profit being made. Insurance Fraud will be more aimed towards people who allow "friends" to pirate their ship so that they can essentially dupe their ships. This is what outright removal of insurance is for.
Kamikazi'ing is just willful negligence, and while you may get significantly longer wait times or higher premiums since they know you are just going to destroy it anyway, they can't really outright remove your insurance just because of it.
It's me, I'm the space insurance investigator.

quote:

[–]Ecks83Freelancer 1 ponto 2 hours ago
But you also lose a life and CIG are trying to make that a big deal. In both FPS and PU discussions the Devs have said that they are trying to create a system so that players do not want to die at all - not to mention willful suicide.
Kamikaze is a valid strategy but it should be a last resort rather than a first strike.
This is assuming that the freelancer won't just blow an aurora out of the sky for flying in a straight line towards it.
Sound really fun.

quote:

[–]Ecks83Freelancer 1 ponto 2 hours ago
Intangibles like reputation? Your ship may take much longer to replace for repeated insurance claims? In-tact cargo will be worth a ton more than cargo that was inside an explosion? Transaction fees for money transfers? The fact that if you already outnumber a target you would probably be more effective to fight them normally? I don't know but like I said CIG want it to matter so I think they must be aware of this type of tactic.
Besides even if the 'Lancer's guns do get a downgrade they are still large and gimbled. an aurora flying in a straight line towards those isn't going to last long. If it takes you out then your friends are down a man and the target becomes more difficult to take down.
Oh so now we're adding damage states to cargo crates as well...

If ever this game comes out in a remotely playable state it's going to be the shittiest most boring space game ever. The loving whales are going to have a conniption if someone blows their sperg throne so this poo poo is going to be nothing but a hugfest.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
honestly looking at that studio they are building out they could be positioning themselves to do mocap for hire. This would bring in some good revenue.

Searching for mocap in santa monica there are not that many. You always want to be west of the 405 and north of ocean park there seems to be 2 (except dirt cheap soundstage - but thats a crap stage rental and I wont include them).

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Jst0rm posted:

honestly looking at that studio they are building out they could be positioning themselves to do mocap for hire. This would bring in some good revenue.

Searching for mocap in santa monica there are not that many. You always want to be west of the 405 and north of ocean park there seems to be 2 (except dirt cheap soundstage - but thats a crap stage rental and I wont include them).

If this is what they are doing and it isn't just SC related solely, then at least they are doing something more than just selling jpegs to generate revenue.

But if it is just for SC loving lol.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I am just going to go out on a limb here and speculate that any money they make from the mocap studio will not be going into the game. Why should it? They already have enough money to finish the game, after all!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

"Free use of this fully-furnished Motion Capture Studio is available to any A-List director who will cast Sandi in a feature."

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

G0RF posted:

"Free use of this fully-furnished Motion Capture Studio is available to any A-List director who will cast Sandi in a feature."

so much this. i bet sandi will be all over any hollywood type that may come in

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Voted 5, go dodong wild!

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Agrajag posted:

so much this. i bet sandi will be all over any hollywood type that may come in
"Chris Gets Cucked: The Movie"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

This is very unsettling.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Special announcement from CIG:

Once the new office is complete, we will be performing all our own MOCAP for the most asked for feature.... Space-Intercourse

We at CIG realize you probably have never had , nor will ever have sex with a real-live human being. So we are prepared to bring the experience straight to your desktop/console/mobile device

Our very own Ben Lesnick will of course be the actor for this interactive experience, as he most closely resembles our core demographic

See you in the 'verse!

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Lodin posted:

Losing all his money
He hasn't paid enough

:perfect:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

How can anyone watch that video and claim CIG is being responsible stewards of the money they were gifted by hundreds of thousands of people

They're moving to one of the most expensive places to operate in the country and building a massive, modern office with nothing to show for it. They might have a bit more goodwill if they were a studio who is renowned for quality products, but they're building a VALVE-esque building with absolutely nothing to show for it. It's all smoke and mirrors, they're resting on their success before they even succeed.

It's like if someone built a big office in Manhattan and claimed to be a hedge fund manager; they go to work, sit at their desk, and claim they are open for business except they haven't done anything to warrant such a facade.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Hybridfusion posted:

This isn't my cat but I wish it was my cat

This is a very pretty cat. I've honestly never seen such a pretty cat.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Justin Tyme posted:

How can anyone watch that video and claim CIG is being responsible stewards of the money they were gifted by hundreds of thousands of people

They're moving to one of the most expensive places to operate in the country and building a massive, modern office with nothing to show for it. They might have a bit more goodwill if they were a studio who is renowned for quality products, but they're building a VALVE-esque building with absolutely nothing to show for it. It's all smoke and mirrors, they're resting on their success before they even succeed.

It's like if someone built a big office in Manhattan and claimed to be a hedge fund manager; they go to work, sit at their desk, and claim they are open for business except they haven't done anything to warrant such a facade.

Citizens:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Sappo569 posted:

Special announcement from CIG:

Once the new office is complete, we will be performing all our own MOCAP for the most asked for feature.... Space-Intercourse

We at CIG realize you probably have never had , nor will ever have sex with a real-live human being. So we are prepared to bring the experience straight to your desktop/console/mobile device

Our very own Ben Lesnick will of course be the actor for this interactive experience, as he most closely resembles our core demographic

See you in the 'verse!

Probably :nws: and definitely :nms: http://i.imgur.com/4JfSX3T.png

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Chris: What do you want?

Lesnick: I want what you want... Yes. That's it, Mr. Roberts. Look past the flesh. Look through the soft gelatin of these dull cow eyes and see your enemy!

Chris: ...No.

Lesnick: Oh yes, Mr. Roberts

Chris: It can't be...[mouths "Smart"]

Lesnick: There's nowhere I can't go. There's nowhere I won't find you.

Chris: It's impossible...!

Lesnick: Not impossible. Inevitable. Goodbye, Mr. Roberts.

Amarcarts fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 6, 2015

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

Lesnick: What's that for?

Sandi: To help you relax. To make it easier for you to remember.

Lesnick: What if I don't want to remember?

Sandi: Why would you want that?

Lesnick: What if I blew that EMP? What if I did destroy those ships and I am responsible for the deaths of all those men? What if I leaked that inside information to Derek Smart? If I did that, it wouldn't be very safe for me here, would it?

[Lesnick stabs her]

Lesnick: Of course, it might not be very safe for you, either.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
Wow. CIG finally got back to me after more than a month. Apparently the "refund is in the queue and will be processed as soon as we can."

Lets see if they can beat the bank's chargeback.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

Disco_Lando: Chris Roberts? ...

Erin [looking up]: He fights for us...

Amarcarts fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 6, 2015

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Wow. CIG finally got back to me after more than a month. Apparently the "refund is in the queue and will be processed as soon as we can."

There's a queue for refunds?

comatose posted:

Citizens:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Sandi, to Lesnick: I hate this place. This zoo. This prison. This game studio, whatever you want to call it, I can't stand it any longer. It's the smell, if there is such a thing. I feel saturated by it. I can taste your stink and every time I do, I fear that I've somehow been infected by it.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ChairmanMauzer posted:

The chargeback gets them every time!

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sandi: I know that Smart has planted a mole, and I know it is one of five men.
[starts placing out chess pieces with photos on them]
Sandi: Lesnick: Tinker. Day: Tailor. Peterson: Soldier. We leave out "Sailor", too much like "Tailor". Mackay: Poorman.
Chris: And the fifth?
Sandi: niggercuntfaggot!

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.

Raskolnikov posted:

The chargeback gets them every time!

One weird trick CIG Customer Service hates...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

Beexoffel posted:

I'm sure you took her to a good place and you can confident about her future. Maybe you can visit?

Died in a housefire along with the family's dog about a year ago. She went back inside after all the family was out and was found underneath what was a bed with the dog. :smith:

• Locked thread