Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Nija posted:

Here is my most recent questionable decision.

It's a 2004 that has 67k miles on it. The color is tektite gray, despite looking black in almost every picture. It was owned by Palo Alto old people its entire life.

I am going to do some upgrades to the cooling system since I live on Venus (CA central valley) but other than that it will remain stock.

Nice ride, it looks super clean which is becoming more and more rare with those cars. It's a hell of a lot of vehicle for the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Raise you 16 hp single cylinder and 22 HP v twin ohv goodness.

gently caress I miss working on small engines. Been getting my parents 425 all past due service done and full fluid change. Mine just gets oil.

22hp V-twin? Is that the biggest Predator?

(I just slapped a 420cc 13hp Predator on that tractor I posted)

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
The v twin is the Kawasaki engine. Liquid cooled, everything. Fucker is so god drat smooth when it runs, and ultra quiet.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

The v twin is the Kawasaki engine. Liquid cooled, everything. Fucker is so god drat smooth when it runs, and ultra quiet.

Those are ridiculously nice running engines! Just make sure you regularly change the oil and especially adjust the valves on schedule. Those like to tighten up and burn exhaust valves.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

chrisgt posted:

Those are ridiculously nice running engines! Just make sure you regularly change the oil and especially adjust the valves on schedule. Those like to tighten up and burn exhaust valves.

They like to burn up starters, too, or at least mine does.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

wallaka posted:

They like to burn up starters, too, or at least mine does.

I have 2 and one of them has been making bad noises from the starter since 300ish hours and now its just over 1000 so I guess Ive been lucky. Ive been waiting for it to fail for years but it just keeps starting.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
My mom, being the hick she is, went and sprung for one of these. http://www.badboymowers.com/ For her whopping 3 acres she has to mow twice a year cause Texas is always in a drought.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

My mom, being the hick she is, went and sprung for one of these. http://www.badboymowers.com/ For her whopping 3 acres she has to mow twice a year cause Texas is always in a drought.

Nothing wrong with a bit of overkill :). I'm using a 27hp Mower for ~3 acres of lawn.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
This thread got hijacked by lawn mowers when only a page ago it was all about silver C5's. I'm bringing sexy back.

I love your fat rear end.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug
Agreed, not enough vette posting.

It's reached "Amazing weather for the next 8 months" season here in AZ so I'm doing a lot more of this:

Re-discovered the wonders of parking garage meets exhaust the other night.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 5, 2015

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Linux Nazi posted:

It's reached "Amazing weather for the next 8 months" season here in AZ so I'm doing a lot more of this:

Nice.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
White with black wheels is the best C7 look imo

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Too bad you pull the "keep driving until you hear the cruch" method of parking.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

D C posted:

Maybe it's a lease?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

D C posted:

It's barely touching the wheel guards. On the z51 that lip doesn't span the entire car, just a few in front of the wheels. Nothing is crunching.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Do the exhaust tips really not clear a concrete parking divider? IIRC, my C6Z had no problem getting over it, much to the fortune of every inattentive lot valet who parked it.
The Corvette's short and pinched rear also makes it pretty easy to parallel park -- you can go in at a steeper angle and touch just tire, and then turn over to finish it up.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Linux Nazi posted:

It's barely touching the wheel guards. On the z51 that lip doesn't span the entire car, just a few in front of the wheels. Nothing is crunching.

I almost always back the car into the parking spot. On 2016s you got those fancy curb cam thingies on the front that tell you if you're about to need a new front fascia. 2015s don't have that.

Here are some vettes. Every time I park next to the Z06, I feel like my Z51 looks childish.

And here are some more vettes (and a random Lambo that's not on fire for some reason):

This is probably not a vette:

I don't think this is a vette either:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

veedubfreak posted:

MOW WITH AN ATTITUDE

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

shodanjr_gr posted:

I almost always back the car into the parking spot. On 2016s you got those fancy curb cam thingies on the front that tell you if you're about to need a new front fascia. 2015s don't have that.

Here are some vettes. Every time I park next to the Z06, I feel like my Z51 looks childish.

You put a front plate on your Corvette? :eng99:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Das Volk posted:

If you live in a state where you have to it's kind of a thing you have to do

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PCOS Bill posted:

If you live in a state where you have to it's kind of a thing you have to do

I live in California and own... uh.... a lot of cars. None of them have front plates

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
Instead of doing the smart thing and buying another old Subaru, or bankrupt european brand, I did something stupid. I bought a reliable, economic car with a 5 year warranty.
2015 Civic EX Sedan, with the 5 speed M/T. Took it for a little road trip, and put 500 clicks on it yesterday and had a lot of fun on some twisty coast roads. Might lower it in the spring, but otherwise she's gonna stay stock.

VVVVVVVVVVTEEEEEC.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

eyebeem posted:

I live in California and own... uh.... a lot of cars. None of them have front plates

Yeah, but you don't even have to run plates in Cali.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, but you don't even have to run plates in Cali.

Sorry, what?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
The law in California is really lax about license plates when it comes to plates for a newly purchased car. I believe it might be up to six months before you'll receive your permanent plates, so people just never put plates on their car. I think I also read that the fine for no plates is actually cheaper than having out of date or old registration.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MetaJew posted:

The law in California is really lax about license plates when it comes to plates for a newly purchased car. I believe it might be up to six months before you'll receive your permanent plates, so people just never put plates on their car. I think I also read that the fine for no plates is actually cheaper than having out of date or old registration.

It's $10 a pop for a front plate, and in most cases you have to take the car to a CHP/Police station and have the ticket verified, aka prove that you have a plate on the car. Usually a plate in the front window with a dumbfounded "there's no place to put it on" gets you gone. I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars in the last 5 years or so and have paid my fair share of :10bux:, but gently caress drilling holes in your bumper when they're not there from the get-go. I ran one for a while on the supra, then the plate mount bracket broke off and I'll be damned if I'm going to pay someone to tack it back on.

If you buy a new car, keep it clean and leave the temp reg in the window you can usually get away with it for a while, albeit if you get pulled over 2 years later with the temp reg in the window you'll have some 'splainin to do.

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Das Volk posted:

I've found that the police around here (South Bay/Silicon Valley) are looking for ANY excuse to pull you over, especially at the peak "ticket writing" periods (Friday/Saturday night). Heck, I was just pulled over tonight and the LEO made a point of checking out my front license plate.

I hate how that it looks and it kills me every time I look at the front of the car so I might take it off or swap it for a holder that's less offensive (although I think that anything that actually mounted in the middle of the air duct opening would probably not be legal due to minimum height restrictions or something).

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

shodanjr_gr posted:

I've found that the police around here (South Bay/Silicon Valley) are looking for ANY excuse to pull you over, especially at the peak "ticket writing" periods (Friday/Saturday night). Heck, I was just pulled over tonight and the LEO made a point of checking out my front license plate.

I hate how that it looks and it kills me every time I look at the front of the car so I might take it off or swap it for a holder that's less offensive (although I think that anything that actually mounted in the middle of the air duct opening would probably not be legal due to minimum height restrictions or something).

This will look slightly better, but still bad:
http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c7-z06-discussion/3644620-tow-hook-license-plate-bracket.html

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'm probably a more extreme example here but I never had a plate on the gray M3, and I lived in the east bay and peninsula while I owned the car. I didn't even know where the plate was when I traded the car in. Historically I've done it for plausible deniability, but once I figure out a good custom plate for the new Viper I will put one on the rear, since I can't exactly pull the whole "it wasn't me" routine anymore. I also just joined 11-99 so hopefully it will balance out.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I have the same thing, works great. With C7 for scale:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I don't have a front plate on either car but keep them available on suction cups for when I street park - Portland meter matrons will give you a ticket if it's not on display on the outside of the car (dashboard doesn't count). I've been pulled over by two different police agencies here and neither officer mentioned it (and didn't cite me for anything else - if I had gotten a citation they may have added it; who knows).

It's highly variable by agency and jurisdiction. I wonder if the police who enforce it do so out of frustration with having their default LIDAR target removed and having to go for headlights instead.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Took the C5 for a nice long drive. Yes its got a rattly GM mess of an interior, I don't care, it's a frickin blast.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
A guy at an apartment I used to live at had a black C5 with the plate "GETMWET". He weighed like 350lbs or more and had a handicap placard.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He had to lube up to get in?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress front plate requirements. I had a cop stop out west for no front plate and he somehow failed to read INDIANA when he pulled up behind me.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Wild mode engaged (dual mode exhaust fuse pulled)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3dkn658V4o

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice
Well since we've been talking about front plate attachments, I just happened to notice one of the most awkward ones I've seen tonight and took a photo. Belongs in terrible car poo poo but since we've been talking about it here:

You just wanted to out-leaf my C5 photo. And you did.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rhyno posted:

gently caress front plate requirements. I had a cop stop out west for no front plate and he somehow failed to read INDIANA when he pulled up behind me.

No, gently caress the car companies that can't design a front bumper to take a number plate.

That said, the US states should have a thin number plate option like what most states in Australia have.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

davebo posted:

Well since we've been talking about front plate attachments, I just happened to notice one of the most awkward ones I've seen tonight and took a photo. Belongs in terrible car poo poo but since we've been talking about it here:

This is what my CPe plate mount looks like, on my MS3. Is that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

You Am I posted:

No, gently caress the car companies that can't design a front bumper to take a number plate.

That said, the US states should have a thin number plate option like what most states in Australia have.
Italy seems to provide mini license plates for the front.