Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Wow. CIG finally got back to me after more than a month. Apparently the "refund is in the queue and will be processed as soon as we can."

Lets see if they can beat the bank's chargeback.

hahaha a loving queue for refunds what the gently caress carnival show is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Refund received.

Initiated Oct 1st.
Generic response Oct 6th.
Human contact Oct 21st.
Account suspended Oct 23rd.
Refund offer extended and accepted Nov 4th. Account shut down.
Refund deposited via paypal Nov 5th. Surprisingly quickly.

CIG covered the fee.
Payment received care of Cloud Imperium Games Corporation.

It's over.

:negative:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
New offices are looking great you guys! Should be ready to mocap Chris's neckfat in :gary: PAARRP! PAARRP! weeks!

All aboard the HYPE TRAIN :gary: PAAAARRRP PAAAAAARRRRRRRRPPPP!!!!

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

jaffyjaffy posted:

Died in a housefire along with the family's dog about a year ago. She went back inside after all the family was out and was found underneath what was a bed with the dog. :smith:

drat. Thats crazy.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

New offices are looking great you guys! Should be ready to mocap Chris's neckfat in :gary: PAARRP! PAARRP! weeks!

well at least it looks like the game...

unfinished and broken

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Sandi: How many completed games is this for you, Roberts?

Chris: Thirty eight... simulated.

Lesnick: How many *actual* games?

Chris: Uh, two. Including this one.

Accelerwraith: poo poo.

CIG_Money: Oh, man...

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

fuctifino posted:

I did a more fluid one.

:bravo:

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
Today was refund day for me. Just $40, but I'm glad to have it back from them.

I had originally put $40 toward the game in August of 2013 when it still seemed like something might be coming out sometime soon.
Even earlier in this year I didn't care too much about the money and was happy to joke about the game never coming out and figured that if something did eventually come out I would at least find something about it that I liked.
It became apparent that nothing good would come directly from CIG so I decided to request my money back.

I requested my refund on October 3 and got the form reply saying it could be up to 2 weeks before I heard back from them.

On October 13 I got a response saying they don't normally offer refunds past the 14 day grace period and they added:

quote:

To clarify, are you requesting a full refund and account closure? Would you be able to cite any press article links for this request?

I responded the next day with the clarification and said I had no specific articles to quote for the reasons behind why I was requesting a refund and I explained why I no longer believed in the project since it was not what was originally talked about with a lack of progress.

On October 29 I got another response that contained:

quote:

- Confirm that you accept that partial refunds are not possible - A successful refund request will result in a permanent and full account closure
- The total amount you anticipate
- Your current PayPal e-mail address

I replied within 5 minutes and about 15 minutes later I got a response that my request was approved and my account would be permanently de-activated and I would get the refund in 5-10 days in my PayPal account.

About an hour ago I got and email from PayPay that Cloud Imperium Games Corporation sent you $40.00 USD.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Amarcarts posted:

Sandi: How many completed games is this for you, Roberts?

Chris: Thirty eight... simulated.

Lesnick: How many *actual* games?

Chris: Uh, two. Including this one.

Accelerwraith: poo poo.

CIG_Money: Oh, man...

This is my favorite new trend in this thread.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
What is the reasoning behind permanently closing the accounts that request a refund?

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

comatose posted:

What is the reasoning behind permanently closing the accounts that request a refund?

scare you away from getting one

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

comatose posted:

"Shun the non-believers."

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Toops posted:

WTF is this poo poo!? I am sure backers (most of them) did not pledge to JPEGs just for CIG to play SIMS 4.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

gently caress, I don't want to know anything anymore. This is a kickstarter where nothing is solved. Someone once told me, 'Development is a flat circle.' Everything we've ever programmed or will ever program, we're gonna do over and over and over again. And that little Ben and that little Sandi, they're gonna be on that ATV show again and again and and again, forever.

-Christ Roberts

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

EminusSleepus posted:

WTF is this poo poo!? I am sure backers (most of them) did not pledge to JPEGs just for CIG to play SIMS 4.

Not sure, but looks like "open development" to me. Citizens love it.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

comatose posted:

I figured it was just easier for them to purge the account clean than to implement something that just removes the purchased items from the account.
Either way, I re-registered with the same account name so I have my name reserved just in case something happens and I want to go back.

I'm pretty sure one glance at my account and seeing I belonged to a Goon affiliated organization was an indicator of where my loyalties were.

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 6, 2015

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

fuctifino posted:

Bootcha. Please use it in the vid

:golfclap:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov posted:

gently caress, I don't want to know anything anymore. This is a kickstarter where nothing is solved. Someone once told me, 'Development is a flat circle.' Everything we've ever programmed or will ever program, we're gonna do over and over and over again. And that little Ben and that little Sandi, they're gonna be on that ATV show again and again and and again, forever.

-Christ Roberts

:gary: PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRPPPPP.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
My cat is getting old in her years.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Nalin posted:

This dog looks very wise.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Nalin posted:

Dogming

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This dog looks very wise.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Turmoil posted:

I figured it was just easier for them to wipe the account clean than to implement something that just removes the purchased items from the account.
Either way, I re-registered with the same account name so I have my name reserved just in case something happens and I want to go back.

I'm pretty sure one glance at my account and seeing I belonged to a Goon affiliated organization was an indicator of where my loyalties were.

Ahh ok. Just the way they word it kind of makes it sound like once you get your refund you're out FOREVER and you can never use that username/email or whatever again.

Agrajag posted:

scare you away from getting one

This is pretty much why I think they word it the way they do.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

jaffyjaffy posted:

Died in a housefire along with the family's dog about a year ago. She went back inside after all the family was out and was found underneath what was a bed with the dog. :smith:

That's just devastatingly sad

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

comatose posted:

This is pretty much why I think they word it the way they do.

In a followup email they provide the following

quote:

Your account has been permanently de-activated. Should you wish to return in the future you can create a new account with the same details. :)

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
It is completely inexplicable to me that a new studio is being built. Like even if you're coming at it from the perspective that CIG is doing just fine, why would they basically strip-mine the Austin studio to build one in LA....? and if you're coming at it from the perspective that CIG is totally hosed and out of money, how they can possibly be wasting whatever is left on constructing a studio? There is no level to approach it that makes sense :psyduck:

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It is completely inexplicable to me that a new studio is being built. Like even if you're coming at it from the perspective that CIG is doing just fine, why would they basically strip-mine the Austin studio to build one in LA....? and if you're coming at it from the perspective that CIG is totally hosed and out of money, how they can possibly be wasting whatever is left on constructing a studio? There is no level to approach it that makes sense :psyduck:

Its a term called "keeping the investors happy".

And plenty of smoke and mirrors.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Another full motion capture studio for a god drat spaceship game.

94 million dollars.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

A Neurotic Jew posted:

They're not doing that for the game. They're building a production studio for film making. That's the only logical explanation.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I thought they had all their studios, is the LA one new or are they rebuilding? And more importantly, why (as in officially why)?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Can 94 million dollars really last you that long when you're expenses are rapidly spiraling out of control? I mean how in the hell do you not go to sleep every night panicking about how you're going to make it another year?

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Trapezium Dave posted:

I thought they had all their studios, is the LA one new or are they rebuilding? And more importantly, why (as in officially why)?

Again, there's no way in hell this really has anything to do with the game. Chris and Sandi both want in the movie industry and can't get in. They could rent studio space for the game, but that wouldn't work for film making. So they say they need to build a studio for a drat space ship game, but they're going to use it instead to attempt to further their movie careers.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I think this move has been in the works for a while. If I remember right there was some talk about problems with the contractors. I'd bet that they planned all of this when they thought their revenue stream was more stable (and they want to be a movie studio), and now they are stuck moving into it. It is a huge waste of money, and I'm sure at least a few people in CIG understand that.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Finally, almost 2 months after requesting, I got my full refund. I actually made money because of the Canadian dollar exchange rate :v:

Farewell sweet Prince Roberts.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Same reason people buy cars they really can't afford, it's a status symbol that tells their sunk backers that CIG has plenty of money and is therefore fine.

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That's just devastatingly sad

Yeah it was pretty lovely.

Good to hear people got their refunds. Gives me hope I'll see something in the end.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

fuzzknot posted:

They're not doing that for the game. They're building a production studio for film making. That's the only logical explanation.

This is actually the most plausible explanation I've heard so far. I mean, I totally believe that Sandi wants to rub shoulders with Hollywood types as an added benefit, but I have to give CIG enough credit to have a more long-term scheme and place, and this fits with Chris and Ortwin's interests. Still though, it's kind of hard to imagine when in the future they would be able to move on to a project other than Star Citizen. I can't even imagine the storm that would ensue if they started working on an independent project before SC is done.

Duckaerobics posted:

I think this move has been in the works for a while. If I remember right there was some talk about problems with the contractors. I'd bet that they planned all of this when they thought their revenue stream was more stable (and they want to be a movie studio), and now they are stuck moving into it. It is a huge waste of money, and I'm sure at least a few people in CIG understand that.

This also makes sense.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

fuzzknot posted:

Again, there's no way in hell this really has anything to do with the game. Chris and Sandi both want in the movie industry and can't get in. They could rent studio space for the game, but that wouldn't work for film making. So they say they need to build a studio for a drat space ship game, but they're going to use it instead to attempt to further their movie careers.
Is the official line really that they need to up and move everyone to LA losing who knows how many dev months and jpeg bucks because it makes it easier to mocap Gary Oldman? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Trapezium Dave posted:

Is the official line really that they need to up and move everyone to LA losing who knows how many dev months and jpeg bucks because it makes it easier to mocap Gary Oldman? :psyduck:

I thought Croberts said in his citizen con spiel that they'd already done a poo poo load of mocap for the AAA cast. If I'm remembering right it makes the extra studio even more retarded.

Edit: not that you should believe anything that comes out of Croberts' mouth about how much work they've done on the game.

• Locked thread