Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Wow. CIG finally got back to me after more than a month. Apparently the "refund is in the queue and will be processed as soon as we can."

Lets see if they can beat the bank's chargeback.

They must have a hug list of people demanding refunds if it takes over a month to issue a refund.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Trapezium Dave posted:

Is the official line really that they need to up and move everyone to LA losing who knows how many dev months and jpeg bucks because it makes it easier to mocap Gary Oldman? :psyduck:

Chris: Benny. Bring me everyone.

Ben: What you mean everyone?
:gary: EVVVVVVRRRYYYYYOOOOONNEEEEEE!!!!!!!

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Trapezium Dave posted:

Is the official line really that they need to up and move everyone to LA losing who knows how many dev months and jpeg bucks because it makes it easier to mocap Gary Oldman? :psyduck:

Exactly. If that were all they needed, they'd just rent studio space somewhere for a bit.

BigMouthSingers
Oct 15, 2015

I still subscribe because the puzzlebox tells me to.

Star Citizen.... you're playing right now.
Does anyone know the address of the new studio? Always interested to do a google street view for kicks.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I have a sneaking suspicion they will go from Cloud Imperium Games to Cloud Imperium Studios sometime in the future

jaffyjaffy
Sep 27, 2010

Justin Tyme posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion they will go from Cloud Imperium Games to Cloud Imperium Studios sometime in the future

My bet is on March 2016.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

comatose posted:

I thought Croberts said in his citizen con spiel that they'd already done a poo poo load of mocap for the AAA cast. If I'm remembering right it makes the extra studio even more retarded.

Edit: not that you should believe anything that comes out of Croberts' mouth about how much work they've done on the game.

Yeah. The only sensible answers are: Appearance of health and/or a motion capture studio to outsource work for movies/games/whatever to generate more reliable revenue than jpegs.

If it is just for SC then it is totally loving insane.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

the look on your face when you finally finished the task you have been doing for a month now

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

it's going to own when the true believers turn on Chris

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

fuzzknot posted:

Exactly. If that were all they needed, they'd just rent studio space somewhere for a bit.
Like in general I could somewhat understand an argument that Los Angeles is a generally good city for game development, except it doesn't work when the studio you are closing is in Austin which is arguably even better.

BigMouthSingers posted:

Does anyone know the address of the new studio? Always interested to do a google street view for kicks.

Trapezium Dave fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 6, 2015

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

JackDarko posted:

Can 94 million dollars really last you that long when you're expenses are rapidly spiraling out of control? I mean how in the hell do you not go to sleep every night panicking about how you're going to make it another year?

The 94 million is siphoned off into your personal accounts while the company runs on loans.

I'm sure everyone sleeps very well, considering how much development work is playable.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Finally, almost 2 months after requesting, I got my full refund. I actually made money because of the Canadian dollar exchange rate :v:

Farewell sweet Prince Roberts.

:perfect:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Google Butt posted:

it's going to own when the true believers turn on Chris

Sometimes you got to wonder if they will man, or if they're just going to keep on spending cash on jpegs until the day that the world comes to an end... hosed up to think about, but i think that some of the true believers may be lifers.

I know, for one, that I'm not going to refund my jpeg. I believe man. I'm in until the end, for better or worse...

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Trapezium Dave posted:

Like in general I could somewhat understand an argument that Los Angeles is a generally good city for game development, except it doesn't work when the studio you are closing is in Austin which is arguably even better.

Yep. Robert Rodriguez, for instance, uses space in Austin. The only reason to build a studio of your own in LA is to make movies. Fraud fraud fraud fraud fraud. Or at the very least, unjust enrichment.

Malkof
Oct 13, 2001

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.

Chris Roberts: A new space buggy built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The buggy crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average refund request C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
Dick Wulf: Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?
Chris Roberts: You wouldn't believe.
Dick Wulf: Which game company do you work for?
Chris Roberts: A major one.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Sometimes you got to wonder if they will man, or if they're just going to keep on spending cash on jpegs until the day that the world comes to an end... hosed up to think about, but i think that some of the true believers may be lifers.
The best thing they could from a financial standpoint would be to turn Star Citizen into an actual organized religion like Scientology.

I mean more so than already.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You get a refund and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the financial wizardry goes.

:gary: PAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRPPP

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, who would've thunk that L. Ron Hubbard would create a sci-fi psych-cult that would bring in $500 mil every year? But he loving did! Chris Roberts could totally do it.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Omi-Polari posted:

The best thing they could from a financial standpoint would be to turn Star Citizen into an actual organized religion like Scientology.

They'd get some pretty good tax breaks then. All that money saved could go back into the production of game features like a toaster for your hangar or those bead car seat covers for your jpeg ships cockpit.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

ewe2 posted:

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You get a refund and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in wonderland, and I show you how deep the financial wizardry goes.

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006

Raskolnikov posted:

They could sell water Chris spit into and the true believers would buy it up. Sickos.

"Chris'sSpitWater.JPG, LTI, $20 $250 Shipped, Quantity 5/5."

ftfy

JazzPaws
Aug 10, 2014

- Ponzi Scheme Survivor -

Toops posted:

Chris: Benny. Bring me everyone.

Ben: What you mean everyone?
:gary: EVVVVVVRRRYYYYYOOOOONNEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Chris: It's the cops outside we'd better go..you stay here.

Ben: What do you want me to tell them?

Chris: Tell them we were doing their :gary: PAAAAAARRRP !!!!

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Omi-Polari posted:

Well they already call him Christ Roberts so it's not that much of a leap of faith.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Is it conceivable that if they are only leasing their new studio that all the upgrades/reno could be deducted from their lease? I don't know much about that sort of thing but it seems no different than a tenant replacing something in their apartment and getting it deducted from next month's rent

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

fuzzknot posted:

Yep. Robert Rodriguez, for instance, uses space in Austin. The only reason to build a studio of your own in LA is to make movies. Fraud fraud fraud fraud fraud. Or at the very least, unjust enrichment.
It's the "building a studio" bit that I hadn't fully understood when I read the news here last week. I thought they were consolidating the studios together and were maybe renting a new office building. But nope looking at the photos posted here they really are literally building a new studio (or at least the interiors which is still a lot more work than I expected).

It's the time cost that gets me, maybe even more than the monetary cost. Moving can easily add several months to the timetable and that's if you're moving studios within the same city. It's insane to do such a big move without a very good reason.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
so they are nearly moved into a studio should only be a few years now till we get a game

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I personally hate moving work places. Completely disorienting and momentum breaking.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Sandi: You are Shitizen now. You may save your JPEG in the freespace of homefolder. And you may choose a woman. We have many fine women. Lesnick's wife is the best eater.

Chris: I don't want Lesnick's wife.

Sandi: Zoey Quinn is good at duping nerds.

Chris: Yes, she is good at duping nerds. But I've already chosen. But this woman must also choose me.

Sandi: [smiles] She already has.

[They kiss]

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

ewe2 posted:

:gary:

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Chris Roberts: The Goons have sent us a message... that they can laugh at whatever they want. That no one can stop them. Well, we will send them a message. You ride out as fast as the wind can carry you. You tell the other corps to come. Tell them Chris Roberts calls to them! You fly now, with me! My brothers! Sisters! Citizens! And we will show the Goons... that they cannot laugh at whatever they want! And that this... this is our 'verse!

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

ewe2 posted:

:chillpill::yarg:

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Considering all the hubub with LTI, ship production wait times, and buying digital goods for real money, and somehow stealing other peoples real money ships... how do they ever plan on releasing the persistent universe in anything except a perfectly functional and balanced state?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

I like your style.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

no_recall posted:

I personally hate moving work places. Completely disorienting and momentum breaking.
Fortunately for CIG, they've been disoriented for years and have no momentum to lose.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Why is it that croberts is listed as an officer on RSI, CIG, and Foundry 42, but each one of those "Christopher Roberts" seemed to be distinct entity only related to that one company

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/...5w/appointments - RSI
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/...5s/appointments - CIG
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/...w4/appointments - Foundry 42

Whereas Erin Roberts has one Entry for all three appointments
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/...ZQ/appointments

why

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

Justin Tyme posted:

Is it conceivable that if they are only leasing their new studio that all the upgrades/reno could be deducted from their lease? I don't know much about that sort of thing but it seems no different than a tenant replacing something in their apartment and getting it deducted from next month's rent

It depends on if their lease contract allows them to sub-let to a third party.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So how far into the crazy over-funding did Chris first get the idea that he could parlay this as a opportunity to jumpstart his failed directorial career?

Do you have any idea Derek?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 6, 2015

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Nicholas posted:

Considering all the hubub with LTI, ship production wait times, and buying digital goods for real money, and somehow stealing other peoples real money ships... how do they ever plan on releasing the persistent universe in anything except a perfectly functional and balanced state?

Balance? This isn't a game, this is a second reality that takes place within a computer, balance doesn't exist. Do you complain that your car can't be competitive on the street as a Ferrari Porsche Cayenne? :v:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Chris: I'll answer the question. You want answers?

Lieutenant Derek: I think I'm entitled to them.

Chris: You want answers?!

Lieutenant Derek: I want the truth!

Chris: You can't handle the truth!

Son, we live in a world that has games, and those games have to be developed by men with vision. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Derek? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Star Citizen, and you curse the white knights. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Star Citizen's death, while tragic, probably made money; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, makes money.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that game-- you need me on that game.

We use words like "honor," "pledge," "loyalty." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent paying for something. You use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very fandom that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it.
I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a keyboard and stand the post. Either way, I don't give a drat what you think you're entitled to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
A subthread stumbles close to achieving self-awareness...

• Locked thread